Why am I still having "urges?"

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
shantastic

29 May 2010, 14:41 #41

It's like that post was written just for me to read. I needed that this morning thank you.

Shantastic
5 weeks 1 day and 12 hours quit!

FreedomNicotine

05 Aug 2011, 18:52 #42

As an ex-smoker, there may be times you want a cigarette. As a smoker, there will be times you want to quit. Neither side is perfect, but the ex-smoker side has clear advantages. It will get easier and easier over time getting to the point of smoking becoming a thing of the past. The smoking side leads to a much more ominous road.

Keep focused, whether it is hours into a quit or decades into a quit. It was a good decision to quit, maybe the most important decision you have made in your life as far as quality and length of your life goes. To keep the decision alive and continue to reap the benefit, always remember, Never Take Another Puff!

Joel

Joe J free

20 Apr 2012, 12:05 #43

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]An excerpt from Joel's original post:[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]As an ex-smoker, there may be times you want a cigarette. As a smoker, there will be times you want to quit. Neither side is perfect, but the ex-smoker side has clear advantages. It will get easier and easier over time getting to the point of smoking becoming a thing of the past. The smoking side leads to a much more ominous road.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Keep focused, whether it is hours into a quit or decades into a quit. It was a good decision to quit, maybe the most important decision you have made in your life as far as quality and length of your life goes. To keep the decision alive and continue to reap the benefit, always remember, Never Take Another Puff![/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Neither side is perfect! [/font]

Justin

26 May 2012, 15:38 #44

This website is great.  I quit before I found this forum, just a day or two before, but I am sure I would still not be smoke free if I did not find this forum.  I had no idea how important reading all this reinforcement information really is to my quit.  The first 72 hours is hard, but it really is the non threatening thoughts of I beat nicotine, so I can have a smoke now that always brought me back. 

The NTAP saying has pulled me through those thoughts quite well so far.

Thanks 

Two weeks, six days, 8 hours, 8 minutes and 16 seconds. 406 cigarettes not smoked, saving $203.39. Life saved: 1 day, 9 hours, 50 minutes.

Joel Spitzer

26 May 2012, 15:55 #45

These should help too:
Just one little puff
Just one or two
Never Take Another Puff
The Law of Addiction
Is relapse a natural part of the addiction process?
One puff files

From Good news, our members don't relapse anymore...:

This policy offers up two big advantages. The first is to the group as a whole. Every person coming here is now guaranteed that the board is always going to be focused on people who are successfully off smoking. There will be no need to spend time consoling relapses or trying to help a person rationalize a relapse. Again we had the advantages of that principle already covered in our There is no legitimate reason to relapse thread.

But the primary benefactor of this policy is each and every member himself or herself. We have made it very easy for each and every member to have a clearly defined spelled out battle line. No longer does a person have the luxury of thinking, "Well if I relapse, I'll go to Freedom and quit again." We have in effect destroyed what to some people can be a very persuasive argument supporting a kind of junkie thinking.

Again, for the majority of people here this policy poses no threat and makes the each and every members mission here that much more clearly defined. It was what their intent was the day they first signed up to Freedom. To stay a member of Freedom, and more important, to keep the health and life saving benefits of staying a successful ex-smoker is as simple now as just remembering to stay totally committed to never take another puff!