Why am I still having "urges?"

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Crystal View1.ffn

20 Nov 2005, 10:05 #21

THANK GOODNESS FOR READING, READING, READING !

Joe, GOOD FOR YOU ! ! !  This is a very important and precious links to bring up at this time of year (and, of course, all year!). Triggers: Reminders From Your Executive Assistant .... This was one of the MOST IMPORTANT pieces of the education I "planted" in my mind and heart. It is the one that comes to mind most often when my executive assistant tries to feed me lines!

Restoring volume control
"But, the past couple of days… It is November, it is getting colder, it is getting near the holidays and I went to the mall tonight, work is reved up because we are doing the very biggest project we have ever done and it is exhilerating and so exciting, I am doing some "heart" work and I am not sure "where " I am going with it!, and, well, IT IS LIFE ISN'T IT. "

These days, I think about lots of stuff, like leaving work to go shopping, stopping at a favorite deli for dinner, going to visit my children and grand children, cleaning, living....but not about when I am going to get my next fix. FREEDOM !  Today, I even thought, with all these grandchildren that seem to be blessing my live, I might actually get to be a great-grandmother someday! This part of my journey is SO different but so lovely.

Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for One Year, One Month, Three Days, 11 Hours and 50 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 23 Days and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 6774 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,377.31.
Last edited by Crystal View1.ffn on 29 Jan 2010, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

Rickgoldx5

31 Mar 2006, 12:09 #22

ImageFor Steve or anyone thinking they might have another quit in them.

auntvaleria

12 Apr 2006, 20:03 #23

Image aunt valeria
I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 11 hours, 33 minutes and 52 seconds (47 days). I have saved $130.56 by not smoking 949 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 7 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

Joel

21 Jul 2006, 03:10 #24

As an ex-smoker, there may be times you want a cigarette. As a smoker, there will be times you want to quit.

Neither side is perfect, but the ex-smoker side has clear advantages.

It will get easier and easier over time getting to the point of smoking becoming a thing of the past. The smoking side leads to a much more ominous road.

Keep focused, whether it is hours into a quit or decades into a quit.

It was a good decision to quit, maybe the most important decision you have made in your life as far as quality and length of your life goes.

To keep the decision alive and continue to reap the benefit, always remember, Never Take Another Puff!

Joel

JoeJFree Gold

22 Nov 2006, 13:16 #25

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 29 Jan 2010, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

jrsammy9

23 Jan 2007, 13:59 #26

I needed this today! I'm on day 21 and for the last day and a half it seems that's all I've thought about is cigarettes. I know it's disgusting and I don't really want one but I can't seem to get the thought out of my head! I've done a couple things that I haven't done in this quit yet and that's probably what has given me the feeling that I should be smoking a cigarette. The 4 mile walk I did today helped fight the urge, and once again reading here helped. I'm sure tomorrow will be better and I made it through one more day smoke free!

Rita - Free and Healing for Twenty One Days and 48 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 484 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $96.84.

Joel

23 Jan 2007, 19:04 #27

Sometimes you will encounter a person who says they are constantly thinking about smoking or sometimes you yourself feel that you fit into this category of individual. Generally when a person says they are constantly thinking about smoking, people around them tries to share the advice to think about something else. First, there is an inaccuracy about what the ex-smoker is saying. He or she is not constantly thinking about smoking, rather, he or she is fixating on "one cigarette" or "one puff." It's hard to think about something else because one puff seems like such a wonderful concept. They are often reminiscing about one of the best cigarettes, or more accurately, about the sensation around one of the best fixes they ever had. It may be one the smoked 20 years earlier but that is the one they are focused on.
So what about thinking about something else? Well, it's hard to think of something else that can deliver such pleasure as this magic memory. Even if they successfully think of something else and overcome that urge, they walk away from the moment with a sense of longing or sadness with what they have just been deprived of again.

So, what is an ex-smoker to do? Change the tactic. Instead of trying (often unsuccessfully) of something else, acknowledge the desire. Don't tell yourself you don't want one, you do and you know it. But remember there is a catch. To take the one you have to have all the others with it. And with the others, you have to take all the problems that go with "them." The smell, the expense, the embarrassment, social ostracization, the total loss of control, and the health implications. The health effects are the most serious of the implications considering they lead to slowly being crippled then death.

This is what to focus on when the thought of one creeps into consciousness, the package deal of smoking. Think about the hundreds of cigarettes that have to go with that first one weekly. Think about the thousands that go with that first one every year, or the hundreds of thousands that will go with it until it kills you. These are not exaggerated numbers. Do the math yourself; calculate how much you smoked in your lifetime and figure out how many more will be consumed if you didn't quit.

I am not saying to look at cigarettes negatively, just look at them exactly as they really were. If you pull the whole spectrum of smoking into focus, you will be able to walk away from the "urge" with the attitude that you are glad you are not doing that anymore. You won't feel deprived you will feel grateful. The more you remember smoking the less you will think about a cigarette. In a sense forcing yourself to remember will help you forget. Not forget smoking, but the fantasy, the appeal of a nicotine fix. A nicotine fix was not worth smoking for while you were a smoker, you can bet it is not worth it as an ex-smoker with freedom to lose now as well as all the other implications that always went with smoking.

In summing up, I will say that not smoking will never seem as good as the fantasy of smoking. But smoking was never that good either. The fantasy is "one" with no side effects, and no loss of control. The reality though is a dirty, disgusting, and deadly addiction. See them for what they are and you will stop wanting them as much.

Again, it can't be said too often, you are fighting for your health and your life. To win this fight is no more complicated than just keeping your commitment enforced to never take another puff!

Joel

jtaft

27 Jan 2007, 10:53 #28

This is exactley why I love this web site. Gong on almost three weeks smoke free here and I am still thinking alot about smoking. I thought I was crazy, so I come to this site and here you you all are. Thanks for helping everyone.

As an aside I have recomended this web site to many people and two well, one and a half have quit!! I am trying to help the 1/2. I just threw her cigs away for her SO incase you are reading go Sheri..NTAP

Joel

30 Jan 2007, 03:44 #29

"Will I ever stop thinking of cigarettes?" Dial up
3.97mb
Highspeed
11.86mb
Audio
1.57mb
Length
10:47
Date added
11/20/06

MichQuit122GOLDin08

30 Jan 2007, 17:55 #30

Thank you. I too SO needed to read this post. I will be watching the video that was posted as well. Image

I have been quit for 1 Week, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second (7 days). I have saved $30.33 by not smoking 157 cigarettes. I have saved 13 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/22/2007 6:45 AM