While I am on the topic of an easy way out

Joel
Joel

February 12th, 2001, 3:44 am #1

Below is a piece I wrote years ago to promote my clinics to potential clients. The same principles talked about here applies to Freedom participation also. Since the topics of acupuncture, hypnosis, and various other methods are brought up periodically, I thought I would show you how I addressed the issues for many years now. I actually used to have people call me all the time and ask my opinion of these methods, and my advice was always if they were considering coming to me or use another method, use the other method first. If they came to me first, had a tough moment, they would often throw in the towel and figure they would just do the easy thing next. Then the easy thing would usually not work, and they would think why bother coming back to me, they tried it and it didn't last. But the reason it didn't last is that they were holding on to the idea of a fall back easy method. Its time that everyone lets go of that fantasy. There is only one way to guarantee long term success, and that is to never take another puff!

Anyway, here is the promotional piece I was referring to.

Joel

ARE YOU AN INTELLIGENT SMOKER?

Being an intelligent smoker means that you recognize smoking to be dangerous to your health, threatening your social status and costing you a lot more money than it is worth. Since you are intelligent, you probably want to quit smoking but just can't seem to. We can help you break free from cigarettes.

There are no shots, record keeping, hypnosis, needles, or any other quick fix gimmicks. Our method is clear and simple. Participants quit smoking completely at the first session and are supported through the worst period of physiological and psychological withdrawal. Long-term reinforcement then provides additional support to maintain abstinence.

Why choose our Stop Smoking Clinic over other programs? We don't claim to be the cheapest, quickest, easiest, biggest, or most convenient. We don't guarantee that you won't experience withdrawal, and if you fail to quit, we won't give you a penny back. Other programs may promise any or all of these miraculous benefits. We offer none of them. So why choose our clinic?

Only one reason we can think of -- because it works. We are a "no nonsense program" with a success rate consistently far above the national average. We recognize that smoking is not only an ingrained habit but, more importantly, a true form of drug addiction and we treat it as such. For addiction, there is no magic cure, no easy way out. But the nicotine addiction, like any other drug dependency, is treatable. We offer comprehensive and sound support to beat that addiction. But don't let us give you the wrong impression. We won't quit for you. You will have to do the hard part. We will simply show you how to stop, how to stay off and then to see that there is life after smoking.

We are not the program for everyone. If you think you can quit anytime you want, don't call us. If you are offended that we put you in the same category as alcoholics, heroin junkies, or cocaine addicts, don't call us. If you want an easy, painless method that requires no effort or responsibility on your part, don't call us. But if you are sick and tired of smoking and you really want to quit-- sign up.

mirigirl (silver)
mirigirl (silver)

February 12th, 2001, 5:24 am #2

Thanks Joel for the life-saving tough love

it's like a breath of fresh air
........there may be other "options".......but the truth for me is I've tried them all!! ..and the sameit was with drinkin....cutting down, hypnosis, acupuncture, psychologists etcetcetc.......not that these might not be good things for some people......honestly you know I just got so tired of being sick and tired.........

I even had my doctor talk to me about the poor success rate of people that go cold-turkey with smoking...."so don't be too hard on myself if I fail"........ he's a real nice bloke...tryin to be helpful...no idea about addiction......and I walked away from there..feeling like I wanted to cry...'cause deep inside I knew...my Spirit was going to keel over and die if I failed one more time!

Thank God for Freedom and Tough Love
The honesty saved my life!
YQS Maz
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!
Three weeks, one day, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 16 seconds nicotine free!!
558 cigarettes not smoked, saving $178.78. Life saved: 1 day, 22 hours, 30 minutes.

GrahamB
GrahamB

February 12th, 2001, 7:57 am #3

Thank you Joel. I think I needed my intelligence offended. Please keep challenging my thoughts.

Joel
Joel

August 2nd, 2001, 3:04 am #4

Joel
Joel

February 5th, 2002, 4:34 am #5

Joel
Joel

May 24th, 2002, 10:11 pm #6

Here is another one addressing the concept of people looking for an easy way to quit.

Matt (Gold)
Matt (Gold)

May 24th, 2002, 10:30 pm #7

Thank you Joel. Thank you John and all the Freedom managers.

How fortunate was I to find this community and Joel's library before trying NRT? How fortunate was I that this was my first...and last quit at the age of 31?

I realize my situation is the exception to the rule. To others in a similar situation, learn from the mistakes of others. There are NO magical cures.

Matt

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

July 12th, 2002, 9:58 am #8

Joel
Joel

September 20th, 2002, 3:15 am #9

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

September 28th, 2002, 1:57 am #10

Joel
Joel

December 15th, 2002, 12:15 am #11

Joel
Joel

January 6th, 2003, 1:47 am #12

For Barb

Joel
Joel

September 29th, 2003, 7:43 pm #13

Joel
Joel

November 29th, 2003, 1:20 am #14

I just saw a post from a new member who would appreciate this thread, or at least the title of the thread.

Joel
Joel

November 29th, 2003, 1:21 am #15

I meant to say at least the title of the article that this thread was based on, being "Are you an intelligent smoker?"

Joel
Joel

May 6th, 2004, 7:57 pm #16

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

March 13th, 2005, 10:14 pm #17

First of all, thanks Gitte for finding this and attaching it as a help suggestion message.

Secondly. I must admit, since doing so is good therapy for me, that I read this message several times many years ago when we made or home in the Far North suburbs of Chicago Illinois. Even back then I so desperately wanted to quit. Yet instead of contacting Joel's clinic in Evanston I took the second option and made several 'gotta be an easier way than cold turkey cause I understand that is terrible, just look how panicked I felt that day I stopped smoking cold turkey for the GAS' alternate method quits. I don't believe calling them Attempts or Tries is appropriate as I approached each quit with the hope and belief that I would be successful. So I took Joel's advice and tried everything else first and did not have the courage and determnation to follow thru on the second part of his challenge. Oh well, no crying over spilt milk as they say. Just thankful on this snowy but beautiful Sunday in March of 2005 that divine providence led me to this wonderful place Freedom From TobaccoQuit Smoking NOW, back to Joel's care and bestowed on me the opportunity to discover the key facts of why I smoked and how I could stop for good.
FACT - I am a Nicotine addict.
Fact - I cannot allow even the smallest reintroduction of the addictive substance.
FACT - The physical hold of nicotine is mostly expunged in 72 hours and is totally gone in about a week.
FACT - Long-term recovery is a lengthy yet oh so 'doable' process and it is mostly repetitive psychological recondtioning.
FACT - THOUSANDS of other smarter rather than stronger quitters of all ages and walks of life have succeeded by applying the knowledge, wisdom and simple truths about our shared addiction provided freely by Joel Spitzer & John Polito with major assists from Joanne and Linda.
FACT - I can share in my struggle and share my little victories as I transform myself from active nicotine abuser to proud EX-Smoker who will promise myself daily for the rest of my 'natural born days' that I will Never Take Another Puff (or any other form of Nicotine).
FACT - Life free from nicotine and tobacco use is absolutely positively WONDERFUL.
And for helping me realize this wonderment I owe each of you my deepest gratitude & my promise to give back as good as I've got.
joejFree an Educated Cold Turkey Quitter finally Clean of Nicotine since January 10th, 2005.

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

March 13th, 2005, 10:32 pm #18

Joe, I'm so proud of you!

I loved your message, especially your FACTS, especially these:
FACT - THOUSANDS of other smarter rather than stronger quitters of all ages and walks of life have succeeded by applying the knowledge, wisdom and simple truths about our shared addiction provided freely by Joel Spitzer & John Polito with major assists from Joanne and Linda.
FACT - I can share in my struggle and share my little victories as I transform myself from active nicotine abuser to proud EX-Smoker ...

!! May I second all of them?

You had the chance to contact Joel's clinic? I wish he would come over here ... the title of this thread also made me go back to this one: Easy way to quit smoking - joel humor ... but:
We recognize that smoking is not only an ingrained habit but, more importantly, a true form of drug addiction and we treat it as such. For addiction, there is no magic cure, no easy way out. But the nicotine addiction, like any other drug dependency, is treatable.
Can't say thank you often enough!
Gitte
107 days and a bit

Joel
Joel

April 30th, 2005, 5:50 am #19

Joel
Joel

May 26th, 2005, 8:22 am #20

For Lou

Joel
Joel

May 31st, 2005, 5:06 pm #21

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

September 22nd, 2005, 7:19 pm #22

FACT - I am a Nicotine addict.

FACT - I cannot allow even the smallest reintroduction of the addictive substance.

FACT - The physical hold of nicotine is mostly expunged in 72 hours and is totally gone in about a week.

FACT - Long-term recovery is a lengthy yet oh so 'doable' process and it is mostly repetitive psychological recondtioning.

FACT - I can share in my struggle and share my little victories as I transform myself from active nicotine abuser to proud EX-Smoker who will promise myself daily for the rest of my 'natural born days' that I will Never Take Another Puff (or any other form of Nicotine).

FACT - Life free from nicotine and tobacco use is absolutely positively WONDERFUL.

And for helping me realize this wonderment I owe each of you my deepest gratitude & my promise to give back as good as I've got.

joejFree an Educated Cold Turkey Quitter finally Clean of Nicotine since January 10th, 2005. NTAP!

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

December 22nd, 2005, 3:11 am #23

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

February 12th, 2006, 8:49 pm #24

JoeJFree always a nicotine addict and gratefully now an EX-smoker for 1 year, 1 month, 1 day, 21 hours, 33 minutes and 39 seconds (397 days)
I've now reclaimed 34 Days and 12 Hours to live how I choose!

NTAP!

AussieJo7.ffn
AussieJo7.ffn

September 17th, 2006, 6:25 am #25