What was your biggest fear when quitting?

What was your biggest fear when quitting?

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

August 27th, 2003, 8:29 pm #1

What was your biggest
fear when quitting?
Fear breeds anxiety and needless fear can make not putting nicotine back into these bodies seem far more challenging than need be. Many new quitters looking in may have fears or concerns that were very similar to yours. In an attempt to aid them in overcoming their fears:
1. What was your biggest fear when quitting?

2. How did you overcome it?

3. What did you learn in the process?
Here's a link summary to the group's responses thus far
  • Message 1 A fear of a completely different lifestyle change
  • Message 2 A fear of losing my best friend and companion
  • Message 3 A fear I'd succeed
  • Message 4 A fear of failure
  • Message 5 A fear of losing my best friend
  • Message 6 A fear of myself
  • Message 7 A fear cold turkey was going to be miserable
  • Message 8 A fear of losing my desire to continue
  • Message 9 A fear of weight gain
  • Message 10 A fear I couldn't cope with life
  • Message 11 A fear of not being able to function
  • Message 12 A fear of going on with life
  • Message 14 A fear I'd be too late
  • Message 15 A fear I'd succeed then relapse
  • Message 16 A fear of how do I live without you
  • Message 17 A fear I'd have permanent damage
  • Message 18 A fear I won't make it
  • Message 19 A fear I won't be the same person
  • Message 20 A fear I was one of those people who couldn't quit
  • Message 21 A fear I'd fail
  • Message 22 A fear that all of you were different than me
  • Message 23 Of living without cigarettes
  • Message 24 Telling my smoking friends that I'd quit
  • Message 25 A fear of failure
  • Message 26 I was scared of everything
  • Message 27 A fear it wouldn't get easier
  • Message 28 A fear of the type of person I'd be without nicotine
  • Message 29 A fear it was going to hurt
  • Message 31 A fear the first three days would be horrible
  • Message 32 A fear of putting myself through withdrawal again
  • Message 33 A fear it would always feel like the first few hours
  • Message 34 A fear I hadn't quit in time
  • Message 35 A fear withdrawal would last weeks or months
  • Message 37 A fear I was too late and would die early like mother
  • Message 38 A fear of success - Joel
  • Message 39 A fear I'd succeed and never be able to have another
  • Message 40 A fear of becoming irritable and short with those closest
  • Message 41 A fear life would be completely unbearable
  • Message 43 A fear I'd never learn the lesson never take another puff
  • Message 44 Of failing a millionth time, disappointing family & friends
  • Message 45 A fear quitting would change me in a negative way
  • Message 46 A fear I could quit for a little while but not long
  • Message 47 A fear of both failure and success
  • Message 48 A fear of losing something special
  • Message 49 A fear of misery
  • Message 49 A fear I'd get a related disease or have a stroke
  • Message 50 A fear I would never discover the lesson NTAP
  • Message 51 A fear quitting would hurt too much and I'd give up
  • Message 52 A fear I was already seriously ill and wouldn't improve
  • Message 53 A fear I was doomed to the dust heap of failure
  • Message 55 A fear of the unknown, of entering uncharted territory
  • Message 56 A fear of failure and that I still will
  • Message 57 A fear of failure and the humiliation it would bring
  • Message 58 A mistaken belief I'd lose a major pleasure in life
  • Message 60 A fear of losing my reward after completing a task
  • Message 61 A fear craves wouldn't end, a lesson NRT taught me
  • Message 62 A fear I didn't understand craves & couldn't navigate them
  • Message 63 A fear of forgetting I was quitting and messing up
  • Message 64 A fear that I would lose my sense of "self"
  • Message 65 A fear concentration would make it impossible to work
  • Message 66 A fear of a lifetime craves that I'd never be able to fulfill
  • Message 67 A fear I wouldn't be me any longer
  • Message 68 A fear of gaining weight
Last edited by John (Gold) on March 9th, 2009, 12:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

LRM1965
LRM1965

August 27th, 2003, 8:55 pm #2

Ok, I'll try.
1. My biggest fear when quitting was the completely different lifestyle change. All of my friends smoke. Peer pressure, yes even among us late 30 somethings was a hurdle that needed to be overcome. In my previous quits, the times I would go back to smoking was when we were with friends. Never when I was alone.
I also could not imagine life without smoking. Smoking defined where I was in my day. Morning, break times, evenings. I honestly felt like I couldn't have fun without smoking!!!!
Weight gain!! As a vain woman in mid life weight gain was also a very scary issue. I know how I am, and I knew I would reward myself with food. I read and read on this site about the weight gain issue.

2. How I overcame my first fear? Willpower there. I was unwilling to change friends, so had to change my mind set. It was hard the first month, but now is so easy to be with the smoking friends.
The life-style change? Well, I have to admit that this is one I am still working on. I love my smoke free lifestyle, but even now still have times when I think I would like to light one up. As soon as this thought enters my mind though, I know it would be totally gross and I wouldn't like it at all.
Weight gain? Well I did gain about 10 pounds, but I have finally plateued and now I am exercising, so I feel much better about that.

3. What did I learn in the process? Mind over matter is the most important thing in my opinion when dealing with breaking this addiction. Education is also empowering. I learned that I am a much stronger person than I felt I could ever be. I am now not embarrased when meeting new people, taking care of my patients, or hanging out with my children. I have gained some assertiveness that I never thought I had, I do not tolerate injustices toward me that I did when I was smoking.
I breath 100% better. I have more money.

I am so proud of myself for quitting and my co-workers, family members and friends are proud of me also. This has been wonderful, but I never want to go through it again. It has been a great learning process, and you get to really know yourself without the smoke -screen.

Lisa
One month, two weeks, six days, 11 hours, 17 minutes and 7 seconds. 1235 cigarettes not smoked, saving $216.17. Life saved: 4 days, 6 hours, 55 minutes.

Shinelady Gold3282003
Shinelady Gold3282003

August 27th, 2003, 9:42 pm #3

John, I would have to say that my biggest fear was losing my best friend and companion. I didn't know how I would be able to get through my day from beginning to end without my cigarette. After all, hadn't my cigarettes always been there for me through thick and thin? That was my junkie thinking. I came here and read and read...... I began reading articles like :
"My cigarette, my friend"
Emotional loss experienced when quitting
After reading those articles, I began to see the clear picture of my addiction and I began to realize that I wasn't losing anything at all. I realized that I had so much to gain. Afterall, my so called friend and companion was beginning to become my worst enemy. My wake up call was finding out I have stage 1 emphysema. Now, I only wish I had done this long ago. I hope anyone looking in will make the decision to quit today. You won't be losing your best friend. You will be living with the rewards that come with a successful quit... I will never take another puff.....

sue
Four months, four weeks, one day, 15 hours, 47 minutes and 40 seconds. 6066 cigarettes not smoked, saving $876.34. Life saved: 3 weeks, 1 hour, 30 minutes.

MareBear GOLD
MareBear GOLD

August 27th, 2003, 9:56 pm #4

Good morning John!
My biggest fear was not failure, it was that I would succeed, but that I would forever be craving a cigarette. Unfortunately I'd conditioned myself to fear quitting because I never really quit before. I always caved before the 2nd day was over.

I overcame that fear by sticking to these message boards and reading until I thought my eyes would explode. And the more I read, the more people I met that had been through what I was going through, and I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

What I learned in the process is that my anxiety compounded my fear, which kept me actively addicted long after that first moment I realized I needed to stop smoking (around age 22!!). I learned that comfort really would (and did) come, and that education is the key to staying quit. I am so very glad I found this group.

YQS,
MareBear
Free (and still learning) for: 1 Year 2 Months 4 Weeks 1 Day 12 Hours. Not smoked: 9110. Money saved: $1,594.29. Life Saved: 1 Month 15 Hours 10 Minutes.
Last edited by MareBear GOLD on March 7th, 2009, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldCamore1
GoldCamore1

August 27th, 2003, 11:18 pm #5

John, my biggest fear was failure. but here i am 81 days later still smoke free and so very proud of myself. and the weight gain but i am excersing 4 days a week to take off the 10 pounds i gained.

SurrenderGold
SurrenderGold

August 27th, 2003, 11:22 pm #6

Hi John. I had two big fears. First was losing my best friend - who was always there for me and fear of failure. I felt that this was my last chance to quit and if I didn't succeed this time, I would never quit. I carry the article "My Cigarette - My Friend" with me and read it often. It took a while, but cigarettes were never my friend, they were my emotional crutch. As for failure, I just took it one day at a time, sometimes even shorter periods than that, and eventually the days became weeks, then months and now I'm reaching toward the gold ring. I learned that I have more strength than I thought I had and life, even with its ups and downs, is much better without smoking. Sheila
Nine months, five days, 3 hours, 20 minutes and 46 seconds. 3893 cigarettes not smoked, saving $681.34. Life saved: 1 week, 6 days, 12 hours, 25 minutes.

SandyBob GOLD
SandyBob GOLD

August 27th, 2003, 11:25 pm #7

Hi John -

My biggest fears:

Fear of failure
Fear of success
Fear of myself

In my smoking history I had 2 previous quit attempts.

The first time I had tried to quit on my own was about 12 years ago, cold turkey. Day 3 I caved. I had gotten darn near impossible to live or work with. I was explosive, crying, screaming, an emotional wreck. I didn't like myself at all. I started smoking again.

The second attempt was about 8 years ago with the aid of the "patch". I had actually stopped smoking for almost 6 months. I didn't know the law of addiction. I took a puff!

The education and support here is what finally worked.

Seeing all the other quitters on the board experiencing the same things I was. I didn't feel isolated. I had a place to go to do my venting and ranting, without attacking my co-workers or family. I gave myself time to recover from the short 3 day withdrawal process, and slowly began to discover that I was less tense, less explosive, and actually achieved a level of calmness I could never have imagined!

And I learned real patience for the first time.

And I was meeting folks here that had been quit for over 6 months! A year? 2 years and more? And talking about Comfort? They all kept saying the same thing? I had to give it a try again.

The educational materials available regarding the withdrawal process and maintaining my quit is invaluable.

So, as time progressed, I got over my fears of failure and success. I had some great role models to follow! And as I am getting to know the old me, buried under 30+ years of addiction, I am finding that I really like myself.

Fear is so paralyzing. But confronting those fears was the most empowering experience! And it applies to everything in my life now.

Any lurkers out there - come on, join this great group of quitters - it really does feel absolutely wonderful to be FREE from the chains of addiction!

Newbies - hang in there. One Day at a Time it continues to get better! It is a journey that you will never regret!

SandyBob
1 year, 2 months+

SmokeFree2003 GREEN
SmokeFree2003 GREEN

August 27th, 2003, 11:39 pm #8

Hi!
1. I think my biggest fear when quitting was that cold turkey was going to be miserable, that I couldn't make it without nicotine replacement.
2. LOL-I guess I overcame it by taking the plunge and quitting cold turkey. I had never quit this way before, so it was a fear of the unknown. As cliche as it may sound, it's true: the only way to overcome fear of the unknown is to confront it. I confronted that fear by quitting~taking action.
3. What did I learn in the process? I learned what all of us here at Freedom have learned. Cold turkey is much less uncomfortable than drawing out withdrawal by stringing along our inner junkie on miniature doses of nicotine. I read it somewhere in the Freedom message boards-cigarettes are just one way to deliver nicotine. We are not addicted to cigarettes-we are addicted to nicotine (also delivered to us thru nicotine replacement.) Why would we continue to feed the junkie part of us that we are trying to starve into remission? Anyone who is considering quitting, know this: Cold turkey is not as painful as you may think! I've quit both ways~and this final quit has been by far, the least uncomfortable. The rewards GREATLY outnumber the temporary discomfort of the first 72 hours.
Please join us here at Freedom if you're thinking about quitting or new in your quit. It's like that American Lung Society saying, "You might just save a life-YOUR OWN." It's never too late to quit.
YQS,
Chris - Loving Not Smoking For Thirty Days, 13 Hours and 37 Minutes
Life Saved: 2 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 611 sickarettes that would have cost me $122.43.

LFischerGOLD
LFischerGOLD

August 28th, 2003, 1:43 am #9

John, I have to say that, as a newbie, I am still dealing with my biggest fear: loss of desire .
I am afraid that I will wake up tomorrow (or some day in the future) - and not care about my quit anymore - that the junkie side of me will hijack my mind, and convince me that "I am not really that interested in quitting... so, might as well smoke!"
I am confident that this will never happen as long as I reaffirm my commitment EVERY DAY to never introduce nicotine into my body. I read every day and go over my list of quit reasons to support my desire to quit. I work at it every day... and so far have celebrated 18 days of freedom - my longest stretch w/out nicotine - EVER!
Laura :)
Two weeks, three days, 20 hours, 43 minutes and 22 seconds. 357 cigarettes not smoked, saving $116.11. Life saved: 1 day, 5 hours, 45 minutes.
Last edited by LFischerGOLD on March 7th, 2009, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ComicForces GOLD
ComicForces GOLD

August 28th, 2003, 2:40 am #10

John, what a great idea. Here I go:

1. My greatest fear was the fear of gaining weight.

2. I overcame the fear of gaining weight by exercising on a regular basis. I decided to start the fitness and healthy eating lifestyle right at the same time as I started the smoke-free lifestyle. In the beginning of my quit, I didn't sit still much after meals, either!

3. In the process, I learned that smoking didn't have a whole lot to do with my gaining or losing weight…or my staying thin….or whatever I thought smoking did. (I really, before I quit, thought that chain smoking after every meal was the only way to eat what I wanted and be trim…this is an easy rationalization to adopt when you're too lazy to get out there and do anything…or when you can't breath clearly enough to do anything.) I learned that there are so many healthful ways to keep yourself looking good. I learned that no matter what, there's no question that as a non-smoker, I look way more healthy than I EVER did as a smoker. I can even tell the difference between now and then in PICTURES. I now have a glow to my face…in my skin tone and even in my expressions…since I quit. I put on a baithing suit for the first time this summer, when I had been about 4 months into my quit, and I saw some love handles. But, I truly, genuinely felt good. I learned that once you don't have to deal with the guilt and irrational thoughts associated with smoking, and once you dive into a new, healthier lifestyle, that it really is hard NOT to feel good about yourself. I realized that what makes me happy is to look and feel HEALTHY, not look and feel SKINNY, if that makes any sense. I don't even THINK about grabbing for cigs after a big meal anymore.

I hope this helps some people… I NEVER thought I'd conquer this fear. Never.

ComicForces
6 months 6 days

HealthyNow Gold
HealthyNow Gold

August 28th, 2003, 2:48 am #11

Great questions, John!
1. What was my biggest fear?
I guess I really had two:
a. Fear of failure - AGAIN. I didn't tell anyone I had quit until I was a month+ nic-free. Wanted to convince myself first....
b. That somehow I couldn't cope with life unless I had an excuse to skulk away every hour - to escape from dealing with an issue, to escape boredom.......
2. How did I overcome them?
a. Education, education, education....my mind was filled with excuses and bad information about quitting smoking!
b. Reinforcement, reinforcement, reinforcement....to remind myself that my head was now filled with the right information!
c. Most importantly....having the patience to take it one day at a time.......until I didn't have to think about smoking at all.
3. What did I learn in the process?
a. Quitting smoking is not only simple (never take another puff) - it was easier than I every imagined! Just wished I'd done it years earlier.....
Healthy(smarter & happier)Now

I have chosen not to smoke any cigarettes for 11M 3W 2D. I have NOT smoked 5374, for a savings of $1,343.64.
Last edited by HealthyNow Gold on March 7th, 2009, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janetd (GOLD)
janetd (GOLD)

August 28th, 2003, 2:59 am #12

John,

1) My biggest fear was that I would not be able to function without smoking. My husband doesn't work due to a disability, and I am the bread-winner. I also take care of most things around our household. I didn't know how I would carry on without cigarettes. I couldn't imagine a life without cigarettes.

2) The first few weeks of my quit, I did not function as usual. I was at loose ends. I couldn't sleep through the night. I came to realize what a powerful hold nicotine had over me, physically and psychologically. It was a real wake-up call. I knew I was addicted to nicotine but I didn't know just how severely I was addicted.

3) I learned that I didn't want to continue taking something that had such a huge impact on my body. The severity of my withdrawal made me see the severity of the drug. As I gave my quit time, I realized that life without cigarettes was entirely possible. And over time, life without was better than life with.

Thanks, John!

yqs, Janet :)
One Year Nine Months +

Slycat
Slycat

August 28th, 2003, 3:13 am #13

Hi John:

1. My biggest Fear When I quit smoking was going on with life with out taking a puff. I mean smoking accommodated me whereever I went. It was my best friend, it was my comfort, it was everything to me. Reaching in my pocket and pulling out that butt was all I knew. When I was alone, it comforted me, when I was sad it was always there to help and when I was excited, it always celebrated with me when I was nervous it calmed me down... When I got into the car, I lit one up, when I got up in the morning, I lit one up, when I got to work, I went for a break.....Did I think I could live without it???

Little did I know is that is was slowly sucking the life out of me.. It was not my friend..... but it was a deceiving deadly friend and it was sneeky and the question was??? Could I beat it at it's own game??? I was scarred....

2. How did I overcome it? Well, I cried everynight when I first quit.. I was an emotional wreck and I felt like something was missing... It hurt me so bad, that I thought the feeling of that puff could not be replaced...I stood in the shower for hours, I yelled at people, I could not sleep and stayed up all night, I was tired but I kept telling myself that this living **** was going to come to an end... Withdrawal was terrible, more terrible than anything I ever experienced but I was going to over come this and I was going to win at this game. What put me into what I thought was pleasurable, turned to real horror because Nicotine was showing it's true colors... the addiction it had on me all of this time... and I knew that breaking this grip wasn't going to be easy....

Day by day it got easier.... minute by minute I could breath better and second by second went by faster than before... sometimes I can not believe that it's been over a year... If you can make it to the next day, just keep telling yourself.. you can make it to the next day and the next day and each time you wake up in the morning, it will be that much further away from you.... There were times I did not think I was going to make it so I first turned to my Freedom friends who knocked some sence into me and than I went to sleep... knowing that I would feel better the next morning.....

3. What did I learn in this Process? I never realized how much I was addicted to Nicotine, of course like a true addict. I thought I could quit anytime but I never really tried or stuck to my word like many people. I would say "I'm going to quit next week, or tomorrow".. and this went on for 25 years at two packs a day. I never realized how hard it would be to get out of the grip of this deadly addiction....With the help of Freedom and it's managers, I managed to let go of this addiction that thought it owned me..... I thank god for them......

I learned that Life is a Gift and why purposely kill yourself.. I mean there is so much to live for and so much to do in life, why would you let something like cigarettes steal that away from you? I feel I was very luckey to have been given a second chance......

Judy

---
1 year 4 months 4 days 6:56 smoke-free, 24,571 cigs not smoked, $7,371.30 saved, 2 months 3weeks 4days 7:35 life saved

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

August 28th, 2003, 3:34 am #14

A fear that was shared by many of us, Laura, including me. Lisa mentioned willpower, a mental toughness or strength influence but isn't raw honest desire the juice and life-blood of dreams? Laura, many quitters try to forget what it was like living life in an endless cycle of chemical bondage. Those memories and the rational reasons for wanting to end that cycle flowing from them are the source of our dreams and the wind beneath those wonderful recovery wings of yours.

If we keep our original reasons and dreams vivid, alive and occupying center-stage in our mind then natural subconscious crave trigger cue extinguishment will be provided the time needed to gradually destroy fears about craves lasting forever. Soon an unnoticed and silent celebration will occur as we go an entire day without once "thinking" about "wanting" to use nicotine. After the first such day they become more and more common until they evolve into our new sense of normal. But please don't take my word for it. Instead, read hundreds of member responses to our Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette thread.

Our deep inner emotions, Laura, are very real and reflect years of chemical conditioning that has no memory of the true glory that was "us." Calm and reassure the subconscious source of those protective emotions. Bathe your mind in honesty. Teach it that coming home to quiet and calm is nothing to fear. Allow it to feel pride in taking back control of the more than 200 neuro-chemicals that nicotine once commanded. You've come far and invested much. The next few minutes are all that ever matter and each is entirely doable! There was always only one rule ... no nicotine today

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John
Last edited by John (Gold) on March 8th, 2009, 3:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gramelaine
gramelaine

August 28th, 2003, 4:23 am #15

My biggest fear was a two-parter; 1) that I couldn't do it and 2) that it would be too late. I kept being afraid that I couldn't do it until just very recently when a lightbulb went off in my head that said, hey, you are doing it! About the same time, I also realized that I no longer thought of myself as trying to quit or quitting - rather "I have quit smoking!" So, now I know that I can do it and I have to say that I only got to this point by reading every single day and keeping the faith that the tough times would get better and fewer between and I have learned that it is absolutely true. I still don't know if I quit too late to prevent a smoking-related illness or not but I know that I can handle it better if it should come to that. I am more greatful to this site and the people involved in it than I can ever say.

Free and healing for 50 days. Elain

Madge Gold
Madge Gold

August 28th, 2003, 4:50 am #16

Hi John,
One of my biggest fears was that I'd succeed at first and then relapse. I'd never tried to quit cold turkey before and it scared me.
I overcame this fear by just doing what I feared. I quit and lo and behold, I'm living through it. I have had a hard quit and that is through my own attitude.
I learned how to change that attitude, to face my urges and work through them. I've learned how strong I really am. I couldn't have done it alone. All Freedomites have helped me to continue changing. I like the new ME

YQS
Madge
Five months, two weeks, three days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 56 seconds. 4253 cigarettes not smoked, saving $903.75. Life saved: 2 weeks, 18 hours, 25 minutes.
Last edited by Madge Gold on March 7th, 2009, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZAREFAH
ZAREFAH

November 5th, 2003, 11:58 am #17

1) My biggest fear? How do I live without you? You have been with me for 35 years! You began holding my hand when I was 9 years old, when I was much too young to even know what you were up to. But you felt so good! And I didn't even know why.
2) How did I overcome it? I was driven by fear! Over the years I came to see and believe how you could get me. I saw so many people suffer from your friendship. Emphysema, laryngectomies, lung cancer, death. Surely you didn't have that in store for me. That was for everybody else. You were my friend. And I was special. Different from everyone else. Oh no, not me! But one day I typed in the words "smoking cessation" on my new pc because somewhere deep down inside I knew something was so wrong that I needed help... and I began to read.
3) What did I learn? I learned that as long as I have nicotine in my system I am in total denial of my addiction and all that it can do to me. Freeing myself of it was the hardest thing I ever did in my life but that did not last forever! The intensity of that time made it seem much longer than it was. One day at a time I learned to live without you. What a surprise when I realized that I was flying when I didn't even know I had wings. As long as I believe this fundamental rule, that I never take another puff, I will remain careless and free.
Big hugs,
Joy
Three years, five months, one day, 1 hour, 49 minutes and 43 seconds. 24981 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,747.35. Life saved: 12 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 45 minutes.
Last edited by ZAREFAH on March 7th, 2009, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle72482
Michelle72482

November 5th, 2003, 2:36 pm #18

John, What a wonderful thread.
Two of my biggest fears were:
1. Fearing that I would have permenant damage from smoking.
2. Fear that I would start back up and be so disappointed.
I have been smoke free for exactly 5 weeks today and it feels great. I have bad days (today was one of those bad days) but with the education here at this site, it helps me tremendously. I'm just so fortunate I found this place.
Michelle
Free and healing for 5 weeks.

rebmiami green
rebmiami green

November 6th, 2003, 12:43 am #19

Caution, you asked for it, so I'm going to give you straight junkie thinking without censorship:
1. My biggest fear: Probably a tie between
A. I won't make it -- I've been a nicotine addict for almost eighteen years, and I failed my first four serious quit attempts, all in the first four years of the addiction, and I had advertised all those quits to family, friends, etc. So I spent fourteen years addicted with no quit attempts because I was afraid I wouldn't make it (and deluding myself that I could postpone quitting forever by using Nicorette for eleven years).
and
B. I won't be able to concentrate at my stressful highly demanding job, so I'll lose the job, and in the resulting stress, be forced to pick up nicotine again.
Roll A and B back together into one fear: My case is different, other people may quit or never pick up in the first place, but unlike them, I really, really need nicotine to cope with life, where maybe they don't. (Sorry, just trying to put junkie thinking in words).

2. How'd I overcome it:
Education and support. Reading whyquit.com over and over again. Learning that I was a fool to think that I could just keep on indefinitely chewing Nicorette, dipping snuff, and sneaking the occasional cigarette and cigar. Learning that in 72 hours, I would be nicotine free and on my way to comfort. (Shoot, somebody told me that in law school and I ignored them). I guess I was ready to hear it and the group support is great too, proving it can be done.

3. What did I learn in the process: that I am ready, ready, ready, to put nicotine in the rear view mirror by not using it in any form from day to day. Ready to get healthy, quit wasting money, be calm, sleep better, and look better. I just did some calculation: I don't know exactly the day I got addicted, but I was between 17 years and 8-10 months old. After that, until this seventeen day quit I am on now, I was hooked on nicotine for between 17 years and 8-10 months. Give or take a month or two, my life until October 18, 2003 splits about in half; half non-nicotine addict, half nicotine addict. If I stop the clock now, I will only add clean time to my life and I'll get to spend more of my life clean than addicted. If I could get through seventeen years and change without nicotine before, (no matter what stress I was under), I can do it again and more, if I never ingest nicotine again.

Edson

threeboyz2keep
threeboyz2keep

January 19th, 2004, 12:18 pm #20

1. I actually thought I wouldn't be the same person without smoking. I've smoked 20 of my 36 years so I've never been a non-smoking adult and thought my personality would change with the loss of cigarettes

2. As scary as it was I just took the plunge and it has been the most rewarding plunge of my life.

3. I've learned that I am the same person, just a healthier, more stable and completely free of any addiction kind of person. I'm actually calmer...go figure!

Astonished04
Astonished04

January 21st, 2004, 2:41 pm #21

1.) I feared that I was one of "those people" who just could not quit (...so why try, etc)

2.) I educated myself (Right here, actually)

3.) I learned that "those people" don't exist. I learned that as an addict, I was making excuses for myself. And I learned that I am capable of more than I give myself credit for.

[still] Astonished

Chattypat01
Chattypat01

January 22nd, 2004, 1:41 am #22

I was afraid I would fail at trying to quit again.

I overcame that fear by reading, reading, reading on whyquit.com and with the support of Freedom. I really try to take it one day at a time, and it's been working. I finally feel that I am nicotine free, and my goal is to stay that way.

I learned that an "educated" quit is the ONLY way for me. I have to come here and read during my weak moments, so I don't lose my focus. The urges have really lessened over time, and when I do get them, they dont last long - I take DEEP breaths (I am so thankful I can BREATH again. I couldn't take a deep breath 3 weeks ago...)

I value everyones advise here, but I really love to read things from the "gold" club. I want to be in that club too!!

Patti - Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 15 Hours and 10 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 499 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $84.88.
Last edited by Chattypat01 on March 7th, 2009, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

January 22nd, 2004, 7:18 am #23

Great idea John!
My biggest fear was that all of YOU were different than ME, in other words, I would fail.
I overcame that fear by getting up every day and committing to not smoking that day.
I've done that now for
566 days in a row.....hhhhmmmm.......
seems to be working!
, Sarah
Last edited by SammymnGOLD on March 7th, 2009, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozeroc
ozeroc

January 22nd, 2004, 11:26 am #24

Hey...

I'd have to say my biggest fear was just living without cigarettes. Like others I've smoked my entire adult life since the age of 12-13 till age 39. Even though it was killing me I really was going to miss it...

How did I overcome it? I just quit cold turkey on 2 January and endured my withdrawl symptoms. I didn't even discover this site till I had been off nicotine for 5 days and I was curious what my body was going through. Now that I'm here I read a lot and it gets me through.

What I learned is I'm stronger than I thought I was and that my body and mind are finally finding thier true state of being. I like it!

3 weeks, no nic...

Oz

plover
plover

January 22nd, 2004, 11:46 am #25

My biggest fear really was telling my smoking friends that I had quit.
How did I overcome it? I didn't tell them! Hey, I didn't even tell my fiance and finally at day 17 I told him....makes me wonder about this relationship; he lives in my house and didn't notice???
I quit for me; it is my business; I don't have to tell anyone, anything. I'm heading for a 19 day quit and I'm my own person, more than I've ever been!I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 1 hour, 52 minutes and 42 seconds (18 days). I have saved $81.34 by not smoking 542 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 21 hours and 10 minutes of my life.