What was your biggest fear when quitting?

melissablon78

09 Jan 2007, 13:42 #61

my biggest fear was losing that feeling of a 'reward' that I would get whenever I finished a task and I would have a cigarette. It took awhile, but eventually I got over it. (time heals everything). I finally realized that not having to **** down deadly chemcials WAS my reward.

musician smokefree

09 Jan 2007, 22:57 #62

My biggest fear was that the nagging, disabilitating, craving wouldn't let up. NRT's had taught me they last for more that a year in the past. Watching Joel's Videos convinced me that I was clearly wrong and showed me that I had never REALLY tried to quit the right way. So I figured I would give it my best shot. Worse case scenario = 3 days of total misery and if it didn't let up soon after that I'd end up back where I was in the first place puffing away. I can't believe it. He was actually telling the truth. About everything. Now I'm finally on the other side and the monkey is off my back. And I'm getting choked up right now..... Image Image ...
Sorry about that... I learned a lot of things but the main lesson was that the craving , while intense and frequent only lasted for a 2 or 3 minutes each... and they are very infrequent now in just one week !!!
Dale - Free and Healing for Eight Days, 5 Hours and 26 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 197 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $38.22.
Last edited by musician smokefree on 07 Mar 2009, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

come clean

10 Jan 2007, 07:45 #63

okay, thought about it some more....

What was your biggest fear when quitting?
My biggest fear was that I didn't understand my cravings enough to get through them. A fear of building my hopes yet again, and then failing myself. I can be a _huge_ overanalyzer, but as much brainpower as i put into this part of myself, I couldn't come up with a "reason" for every time I craved, or I couldn't put my addiction into a precise box like I thought I had to in order to quit. ("hmm...i feel worried right now so I am craving a cigarette at a level 5 of intensity") . And when cravings came in the past, I had not found a way to get through them...replacement behavior didn't work on the spot. I didn't understand my addiction, and because of that I was afraid I could not overcome it.
2. How did you overcome it?

The night I decided to quit, I got on line and just started looking for information to reinforce my reasons to quit. I found this site, and was blown away by the information provided. My addiction seemed understandable for the first time, and even better, the way to get out of it seemed doable. I read all the biology information about nicotine and it finally made sense. I was still scared, but felt more hopeful than I had felt in quite some time.

My first 3 days I boarded myself in my house, and as a reward took my third day off of work. Psychologically, getting through the first 72 hours without other stresses was key for me...I am not one of those that could have kept things normal. And those first 3 days, and every day since then, I've spent hours just reading here and finding clarity, or pushing myself to think in other ways than I had before.

3. What did you learn in the process?

Still learning....but so far I am reminded that for me the preparation of change takes more energy than the actual change. I also learned to keep looking for the answers I NEED when faced with a difficult transition or thing to do. It took a lot of continued searching for me to eventually land at whyquit, and if I had stopped I would not have found the information I needed to hear to be successful. I think in our culture it is easy to be spoon fed information, and I am just reminded that I'm smart enough to find answers that aren't readily present in front of me.

tcouch0

11 Jan 2007, 02:35 #64

My biggest fear was the out of no where thinking, "'m gonna go have a cigarette now". Forgetting for a split second that I quit. It just creeps into your brain without warning.

To overcome it I remember my quit list and remember to NTAP.

I learned to never let myself catch me off guard.

gingersnaps1018

11 Jan 2007, 03:46 #65

Ooh I like this one!

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting?

That I just wouldn't be "me" anymore. That I would lose my sense of self. Little did I know how much sense of self I would start to actually gain by quitting. Also I was very afraid I wouldn't be able to be creative any more.

By taking things one day at a time. And facing situations that I was afraid of being in without nicotine and then emerging from them without relapsing.

I gained a lot of confidence doing this and so I suppose that I learned that all the things I used to do while smoking I can do just fine now without smoking..and some even better!

Btw..I am double green now!!Image

ImageGinger...2 months plus
Last edited by gingersnaps1018 on 07 Mar 2009, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Just Hannes

11 Jan 2007, 03:55 #66

That it would be impossible to work because of concentration problems.

I didn't work the first week and after that I just started working. The first week I was very quickly irritated but after that it got better and better.

Everything in life goes on without smoking and you will learn to do it without smoking.

Hannes, One month, two days. 2696 cigarettes not smoked, saving $674.03.

John (Gold)

27 May 2007, 01:39 #67

Message from non-posting member:
Received: 05/26/07

I smoked for a long time(at least 30 years). If you've been smoking that long you've done at least one if not all of the following: You set a date to quit in the future. It was close enough that it seemed like you were really trying but far enough away that you could get plenty of smoking in before it arrived. And the date came and went and some minor crisis came up and you "had" to keep smoking. Brilliant!! You didn't quit but you felt better for awhile cause you tried!! Or you came up with the "I'll smoke one less cigarette a week for 30 weeks and 3 months from now I'll be quit!!" or some variation of the so called gradual withdrawal method.

For some reason I would start and then quickly abandon this method for quitting not really knowing why. I knew I was miserable though. Well I found out later, on WhyQuit, that putting yourself through physical nicotine withdrawal every week was the only outcome of this ridiculous idea. I could go on and on with other methods I used to delude myself but I've got to believe that if you're a long term smoker you can relate to some of this. But stay with me because if you can relate to the what I've said above, you certainly can relate to this. Of all the reasons for quitting, better health, longer life, food tastes better, want to climb Mt. Everest but bad idea to smoke at 29,000 ft, etc, etc, one of the hidden things keeping you from doing it is fear. Fear? Fear of quitting?? Yes, fear.

And it is a fear that tells you that while yes, I can quit, I can be strong enough to go through a few days of physical withdrawal, I can be tough enough to avoid temptation when I'm around smokers, I can grind it out because I've done some hard things in my life, that the deep, deep down fear is that after quitting, that for the rest of my life I will have cravings for a smoke and I will never be able to fufill them!! That's what I believed before I went cold turkey at 11:00 am on February 25th, 2007. And I was right for the first 5 days. And I was right for the first 10 days. And the first 15 days!! And I was getting mad, thinking, great, I've quit and I'm feeling, sleeping, smelling better but this crave is driving me nuts!! And then on the 17th day something magical happened. I woke up feeling good and I DID NOT WANT A CIGARETTE!!

Later that day I did want one, but everyday after that the craving went away more and more. And now, at three months, it's almost gone completely. And it's a quiet and joyous feeling at the same time. When I went out for coffee this morning I could smell the pines and the newly mown grass on a summer breeze here in the upper midwest. And I will enjoy the day without any cravings for nicotine and it feels great. How Good is That!!!

Thanks,
Joe

Kris000

27 May 2007, 08:28 #68

1. i wouldn't be me any longer

2. education myself before i quit and continuing the education.....checking in every day right here.

3. i learned that i still have a lot to learn! And that i can NTAP.

Kris at 36 glorious days

nomowrinkles

08 Oct 2008, 07:15 #69

Failure and gaining weight.

Well- I will not fail( I know that now) and I did gain weight but I am not stressing about it- I will lose it again.

That I can do this and I find I like me! It's almost like I didn't really get to know me until I had so much time on my hands that I had to get to know me.Not just me thin but me! (and i find with my new curves that retro clothes look fun! )

Christine- 73 days 6 hours!!!
Last edited by nomowrinkles on 07 Mar 2009, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

07 Mar 2009, 16:07 #70

• Message 1 A fear of a completely different lifestyle change
  • Message 2 A fear of losing my best friend and companion
  • Message 3 A fear I'd succeed
  • Message 4 A fear of failure
  • Message 5 A fear of losing my best friend
  • Message 6 A fear of myself
  • Message 7 A fear cold turkey was going to be miserable
  • Message 8 A fear of losing my desire to continue
  • Message 9 A fear of weight gain
  • Message 10 A fear I couldn't cope with life
  • Message 11 A fear of not being able to function
  • Message 12 A fear of going on with life
  • Message 14 A fear I'd be too late
  • Message 15 A fear I'd succeed then relapse
  • Message 16 A fear of how do I live without you
  • Message 17 A fear I'd have permanent damage
  • Message 18 A fear I won't make it
  • Message 19 A fear I won't be the same person
  • Message 20 A fear I was one of those people who couldn't quit
  • Message 21 A fear I'd fail
  • Message 22 A fear that all of you were different than me
  • Message 23 Of living without cigarettes
  • Message 24 Telling my smoking friends that I'd quit
  • Message 25 A fear of failure
  • Message 26 I was scared of everything
  • Message 27 A fear it wouldn't get easier
  • Message 28 A fear of the type of person I'd be without nicotine
  • Message 29 A fear it was going to hurt
  • Message 31 A fear the first three days would be horrible
  • Message 32 A fear of putting myself through withdrawal again
  • Message 33 A fear it would always feel like the first few hours
  • Message 34 A fear I hadn't quit in time
  • Message 35 A fear withdrawal would last weeks or months
  • Message 37 A fear I was too late and would die early like mother
  • Message 38 A fear of success - Joel
  • Message 39 A fear I'd succeed and never be able to have another
  • Message 40 A fear of becoming irritable and short with those closest
  • Message 41 A fear life would be completely unbearable
  • Message 43 A fear I'd never learn the lesson never take another puff
  • Message 44 Of failing a millionth time, disappointing family & friends
  • Message 45 A fear quitting would change me in a negative way
  • Message 46 A fear I could quit for a little while but not long
  • Message 47 A fear of both failure and success
  • Message 48 A fear of losing something special
  • Message 49 A fear of misery
  • Message 49 A fear I'd get a related disease or have a stroke
  • Message 50 A fear I would never discover the lesson NTAP
  • Message 51 A fear quitting would hurt too much and I'd give up
  • Message 52 A fear I was already seriously ill and wouldn't improve
  • Message 53 A fear I was doomed to the dust heap of failure
  • Message 55 A fear of the unknown, of entering uncharted territory
  • Message 56 A fear of failure and that I still will
  • Message 57 A fear of failure and the humiliation it would bring
  • Message 58 A mistaken belief I'd lose a major pleasure in life
  • Message 60 A fear of losing my reward after completing a task
  • Message 61 A fear craves wouldn't end, a lesson NRT taught me
  • Message 62 A fear I didn't understand craves & couldn't navigate them
  • Message 63 A fear of forgetting I was quitting and messing up
  • Message 64 A fear that I would lose my sense of "self"
  • Message 65 A fear concentration would make it impossible to work
  • Message 66 A fear of a lifetime craves that I'd never be able to fulfill
  • Message 67 A fear I wouldn't be me any longer
  • Message 68 A fear of gaining weight
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 07 Mar 2009, 17:01, edited 2 times in total.