What was your biggest fear when quitting?

CMondragon21170

31 Aug 2006, 07:57 #51

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting? That I would never learn my (the) lesson-never take another puff. That I would continue to smoke, stop, smoke, stop, smoke, die.

2. How did you overcome it? I used my forces for good instead of evil.

3. What did you learn in the process? CHOOSING TO NOT SMOKE is the only absolute truth to remaining nicotine free.

Chevet' - Free and Healing for One Year, Three Months, Twenty Days, 20 Hours and 48 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 132 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9537 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,553.26.

Chevet' - Free and Healing for Two Years, Ten Days, 23 Hours and 13 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 205 Days and 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 29639 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $7,639.96.

Hope977

01 Sep 2006, 13:48 #52

What was my biggest fear when quitting?

That it would hurt too much & I would give up. That I would end up on the floor, writhing in pain, crying & screaming & jibbering senselessly, & that I would torture myself like this for a couple of days, then give up.

How did I overcome it?

I watched someone I love die inch by inch & discovered that there are worse things in this world than withdraw. Chemo, for example. That's pretty bad. So is radiation. The only thing I can think of that's worse is what the cancer will do if you don't try to chemo & radiate it. So I decided that maybe I could do the withdraw thing after all. My perspective became altered.

What did I learn in the process?

I learned that if you don't have health insurance you will lose your house. I learned that most of the health care providers who work with the terminally ill are saints. I learned that south of the Mason-Dixon line, there are more smokers than tics on a redbone dog. Also more people hooked up to portable oxygen tanks. I learned that life is a blessing, and that maybe I shouldn't throw mine away.

Joe D0

01 Sep 2006, 17:47 #53

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting?

I had a bunch of them. First, I thought I was already seriously ill and my health would not improve; I thought I was ready for the hospital. I did not think I could do this. I quit cold turkey using all the tools found here at whyquit.com and my lung capacity improved, my breathing cleared up greatly, my coughing is all but gone and my wife is supportive. Yesterday I started jogging and will be buying a USMC jogging outfit soon. I will proudly wear a patch that says NTAP and run my body to health and a successful quit. My fear is a silly one because I know who I am, once I get to feeling good again I GREATLY FEAR that I will fall to that first puff and the game will be over.

2. How did you overcome it?

I can only overcome it today, this particular minute, and moment by moment, day by day, facing everything that comes in the play of life just NOT TAKE THAT FIRST PUFF. So far after almost 17 days of freedom it's working and all is well. I am not saying that it is easy but it is simple. The temptation to smoke is no longer powerful and passes quickly. I am an analytical person, I say to myself; hmmm, smoke = death - not to smoke = life as healthy as it can be for me. The choice is simple, NTAP.

3. What did you learn in the process?

I have learned that I can do this. I do have the will power to quit smoking and I have learned that I am addicted to nicotine. This is a given, it will always be so but I do not have to succumb to it. I have learned that I need the support of my loved ones and friends and I have learned that this website is a Godsend to me. I sincerely give thanks for what Joel, John and the rest of the managers have created here. I also thank every person who writes into the site as well - as we grow together we learn together and we will stay clean together.

Joe Do - Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 21 Hours and 16 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 675 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $168.98.

RobinS614

01 Sep 2006, 18:18 #54

That this quit was also, like the countless others that preceded it, doomed to the dustheap of failure

By looking at my kids. My last quit was before my first child was born so quitting with kids around was a new thing for me. The innocence in my kids eyes was a powerful motivating factor and helped me try and overcome my pessimism.

That this quitting thing was doable. That if you set your mind to something, there are no limits to what you can achieve. That the human spirit is an awsome thing.

Robin - day "four score and one"

Joe D0

01 Sep 2006, 18:18 #55

The responses from Hope977 to these questions are powerful and thought provoking. Thank you for a different view of the same problem. Joe

smokefreeJD Gold

01 Sep 2006, 20:51 #56

How did I miss this gem of a thread? I must post!!
The unknown. It was uncharted territory for me, and while I was growing up with 2 smoking parents I saw how they kept smoking through the begging and pleading (which as a kid I took it to mean that they "actually did try to quit because I asked" but were unable to quit, rather than they didn't listen to me.)
I also had 2 former-smoker grandparents on one side, and a never-smoker grandmother on the other preaching to me the DOOM and GLOOM not only of smoking but of quitting. They made it seem like it was an impossible task.
Granted as I grew up I made my own choices and I was able to reason for myself, but those messages still affected me big time. I was petrified of what was to come. I imagined years, no DECADES of pain and suffering ahead of me. You know, the way my grandparents talked about quitting you'd think I was going to that very hot place they warn you about in church. Now I understand why Joel doesn't like the term "**** Week." (lightbulb moment, yes I can still have them!)
Honestly this site gave me the courage to go for it. I desperately wanted to quit but I just needed to know that it was possible to quit, that I wasn't going to burrrrrrrrn for decades, and just knowing what to expect made a ton of difference.
One day at a time. The oldbies kept drilling that into my head and it was 100% true. Promise myself that for TODAY I was not going to smoke. Don't worry about tomorrow, don't stress about next month, put thoughts of "what about the rest of my life" in the back of my mind. I had to focus on the here and now.
That you CAN quit and be 110% comfortable with your life. The rough spots DO pass (and rather quickly if you compare it to how long smoke was part of my life), and the rough spots were completely survivable. I'll tell you what, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be... but I have NO wish to go through it again that's for sure!!!! Image
Along the way I learned about the Law of Addiction, this I will keep with me forever and I truly believe it's the single most important thing that will keep me from relapse. It really saddens me that more quitters and health care professionals aren't recognizing the sheer importance of this simple concept. If you're going to quit, then quit. Don't do it halfway and set terms that will allow you a few smokes here and there. That's baloney. Do it right, or you'll be doing it over.
Jill Image
Kicking Butt for 3 Years, 10 Months+
Last edited by smokefreeJD Gold on 07 Mar 2009, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

beth19724

02 Sep 2006, 08:41 #57

1. My biggest fear was and still is that I will fail. I feel stronger, but I never forget that I am an addict and that must NTAP if I want to succeed in my quit.

2. I am constantly overcoming this fear with educating myself to strengthen my mind so that I remain quit.

3. I have learned that I am an addict, that I will always be an addict and that if I take one single puff I will be smoking a pack a day again. I have learned that complete and total nicotine cessation is the best way to quit...physical withdrawal was intense but subsided in 3 days leaving you with the psychological triggers to overcome. I have learned how to live as a nonsmoker and enjoy it more than I did when I was a smoker.

Elizabeth - Free from my disgusting nicotine addiction for Twenty Four Days, 9 Hours and 11 Minutes, I have increased my life by 2 Days and 2 Hours, by not smoking 610 death sticks and I also have saved $183.06 simply by never taking another puff.

VICKIGOLD2006

02 Sep 2006, 12:20 #58

I guess my biggest fear was that of failing to quit one more time and the humiliation I knew that it would bring.

2. How did you over come it?

I started looking for help. I joined a county sponcered smoking cessation program which handed out patches, gum, lozengers all for 1/2 price and ended up being the only one in the group after 5 wks...went on the patch to make it easier, joined another group and no one quit. After being in constant withdrawal for about 2 months, I had just about decided to smoke until the end and then looked for real help and found Why Quit which lead to a conversation with John and then going to Freedom from Tobacco and reading like crazy. That started the process of educating myself on the addiction to nicotine...the possibility that this was doable, and finally I was getting the truth. The philosophy of one day at a time started to work... and I Never Took Another Puff

I am still learning...but I know that I can do this now. I am learning that I have to take it one day at a time, sometimes one minute or hour and I can NTAP...it is that simple...not easy, but simple...I am learning to keep educated on my addiction. I am learning that I am important and that staying quit is vital to my health and well being. I am learning that I really was not meant to be a smoker even after 40 years of smoking my brains out!! I learned that I can NTAP if I want to remain nicotine free.

VICKI - Free and Healing for Thirty Days, 1 Hour and 2 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 601 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $135.36.

gaby lawren

12 Nov 2006, 12:39 #59

What an important thread!

Not exactly a fear, but a mistaken belief that I would be losing a major pleasure in life.

I had tried to quit several times and found it agonizing. I just couldn't live like that. I knew withdrawal symptoms would lessen over time but I thought they would lessen very slowly, and in the meantime I would be tortured, unable to work, to sleep, etc.

I was driven to try again due to sickness. (asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia). Depressed and desperate I decided to surf the net for inspiration and to try to built up my determination. I didn't really expect to find anything helpful. I figured I knew everything I needed to know. I found the knowledge I needed at WhyQuit.

3. What did you learn in the process

Knowing that after the first 72 hours the physical addiction would be gone made it a lot easier to bear. Other times it felt as though that would be endless which really would have been unbearable.

Finding out that life would be more pleasurable not less pleasurable as an ex-smoker. Once I really fully realized that my life was going to improve, that I wasn't losing something I was gaining something, the decision to do it was easy.

So many times I have asked ex-smokers if they still crave cigarettes. Most if not all said yes, once in a while, but that it wasn't bad. Nobody told me they weren't really cravings, just passing thoughts, nobody told me how fast the worst withdrawal would be over,........ but especially important, nobody told me my life would be so much better... that life would be more fun not less fun...that I'd feel calmer not more nervous.

I am just 36 minutes past my Glory Week, I still have lots of thoughts and urges but they are easy to reject because I have already had a taste of what my future will hold. I can't wait.

I will NTAP because my future is so much better than my past I would never risk going backwards.

come clean

09 Jan 2007, 13:10 #60

still thinking about this one, but what a great thread...will come back with more wisdom and reflection at some point.
alex 1 month clear