What was your biggest fear when quitting?

05 Jan 2005, 07:35 #41

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting?

My biggest fear is the how irritable I am at the moment. I have been very short with the people that mean the most to me.

2. How did you overcome it?

I am working on it now, I just need to take a deep breath before I say something in anger, that in retrospect, is completely out of context.

3. What did you learn in the process?

I have read alot of info on the board and realize that this is a sign of the strength of my addiction to nicotine. And my bodies response to the lack of the adrenaline rush that I am used to.

20 Mar 2005, 05:59 #42

My biggest fear was that life would be completely unbearable without smoking.

I quit, took one day at a time (sometimes one minute at a time) and realized that I could get up every day, live my life, go to sleep and wake up the next day. Quitting didn't kill me. As a matter of fact, honestly, it didn't even hurt. The fear was ALL in my head.

That apparently I do have willpower. That I was a slave to nicotine. That I am free now. And frankly, that's all that matters.

Wellzoegirl, 53 glorious days of my freedom
Last edited by WellZoegirl on 07 Mar 2009, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

10 Dec 2005, 03:22 #43

Lisa,
Wow, this post was very powerful for me! The three things you listed as your fears were the exact same issues I was dealing with. 90% of my friends smoke. Now that they have seen me doing well with my quit, they are starting to ask what motivated me and how I stay dedicated to it. Of course I tell them to go to whyquit.com to educate themselves.
I am still pretty early into my quit but with the support here and finally knowing that I am an addict and not a weak person that can not overcome a "habit" I feel that each day is doable. Thanks again to everyone here!
Kellie
I have now stopped smoking for 13 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes, 31 seconds. That translates into 327 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $65.4! I have increased my life expectancy by 1 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes, 53 seconds.
Last edited by KelliePfree1 on 07 Mar 2009, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

10 Dec 2005, 06:31 #44

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting? That I would never learn my (the) lesson-never take another puff. That I would continue to smoke, stop, smoke, stop, smoke, die.

2. How did you overcome it? I used my forces for good instead of evil.

3. What did you learn in the process? Never take another puff is the only absolute truth to remaining nicotine free.

Chevet' - Free and Healing for One Year, Three Months, Twenty Days, 20 Hours and 48 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 132 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9537 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,553.26.

10 Dec 2005, 10:57 #45

That I would fail...again. I couldn't bear the thought of disappointing my family and friends for the millionth time.

10 Dec 2005, 16:02 #46

Strange as this may sound I was afraid quitting smoking would change me in some negative way, I liked the way I was, I was content in my little world and did not want to fact the mind games that nicotine withdrawal can play on you, I did not want to deal with any discomfort at all. The fear of having thoughts of wanting a smoke go through my mind incessantly to much to bear.

I decided that change was better than death. I was still afraid when I quit and I had to drag myself through each minute, hour, and day for the first 3 days. I read all the material on quitting here whyquit.com and put into action the tips I read, lots of water and juice, watch the blood sugar etc. It made a world of difference and my fears did not actually happen!

3. Don't decide in your mind how your quit is going to be before you quit. It will be quite different if you are educated. Quit and NTAP and you will be glad you did the best thing in the world for YOURSELF!

10 Dec 2005, 19:20 #47

What was my biggest fear when quitting:

That I would be able to quit for a little while but the "urge, crave, or trigger" or whatever name anyone wants to call it would be too strong for me to quit for a long period of time.

How did I overcome it:

In the begining by going a day at a time - getting days to add up ---I called it getting stubborn and saying stubborn - and telling myself well can not get worse - can only get better and easier.

What did I learn in the process:

Worth it to get stubborn - Now I am over a year quit and the "crave, urge, or trigger" or whatever name anyone calls it is almost non existant. Would say at this point maybe once a month get the thougt or remembering of smoking but is over in about 3 seconds.
Anyone thinking of quitting - I would say get stubborn - stay stubborn - - it is worth it and sooner than you think you will be able to look back and say - BEST THING I EVER DID.

10 Dec 2005, 20:47 #48

I guess it was a combination of fear of failure and success, although I just had a look at my diary and saw that I didn't think that was the case in the beginning.

I was so afraid of relapsing again (I thought I had known before I started out on my journey that smoking is so much more than just a "habit" but I cannot have accepted the fact that I was / am a true addict as well.), losing my self-respect completely for relapsing again - but also afraid of forever having feelings of "wanting" or "needing" a cigarette again and of never being comfortable without my fix.

Positive thinking, opposing all my junkie thoughts with the truth, laughing at myself and the triggers that have been coming my way, taking it one day, one hour and sometimes one minute at a time (they still all added up)

Life happens, it will always keep happening ... it can be sad, happy, frustrating, infuriating ... it doesn't care at all about me smoking or not. Nicotine cannot make anything better, it cannot fix anything - and while I enjoy my status as a recovering addict, I have learnt that I will always be just one puff away from crossing the fine dividing line to becoming a fully fledged, actively using addict again.

Gitte
379 days and a bit

22 Dec 2005, 04:39 #49

What was the biggest fear when quitting?:

Honestly... Fear kept me from quitting for the better part of the last 15 years. Mostly Fear about loosing something special. Loosing the Talks during "addiction induced" breaks. I was affraid of loosing my freedom.
When I actually quit, there was no Fear at all, not for one second!

See above, I never overcame it until two weeks ago, by trusting into my strenght and will to live. I started reading about it by typing "Why Quit Smoking" into a Search Engine and landed here... I was looking for supportive material to tell me the good reasons for quitting... and found a bunch of fine people right here!

The Human Body is an amazing Machine, constantly working to keep itself running smooth. Your Heart is even more amazing. Your Mind wins any award possible for being able to scope with all the craves and physical dependency feelings. There is one thing I have learned as well: I learned to thank my Heart and Body for putting up with the S*** if have asked them to take for the last 15 years. I learned a few things more along the way: "The Tobacco Industry is Huge. They spend billions on convincing people that what they do is fine. They are killers. I learned that I can STOP Cold turkey, as I started Cold Turkey 15 Years ago. I never prepared my Body to smoke... why should I when I don't smoke anymore?
NEVER AGAIN!

31 Aug 2006, 04:27 #50

Recommend Message 1 of 3 in Discussion
Fear is what kept us smoking for so long - fear of misery when we put them down forever. Overcoming our fear was essential to our quitting and staying quit.
Help a newbie (and an oldbie) by relating your inspirations - how did you conquor your fears???

A couple of thoughts from The Bard:

There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortunes; omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat; and we must take the current when it serves, or lose our venture.

Our doubts are traitors,

And make us lose the good we oft might win,
By fearing to attempt.
Never give up!

Lizzy - Free and Healing for Two Months, Ten Days, 12 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2504 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $439.42.

First Previous 2-3 of 3
Message 2 of 3 in Discussion
MY FEAR OF LIVING WITH OR DYING FROM A SMOKING-RELATED DISEASE WAS STRONGER THAN MY FEAR OF QUITTING.......THE EDUCATION AND TRUTH OF WHYQUIT.COM AND FREEDOM IS WHAT SHONE THE LIGHT TO EXPOSE THE FALLACIES OF QUITTING, THE REALITIES OF NOT QUITTING AND CONTINUES TO GIVE ME THE MOTIVATION TO DISCARD THIS MONSTER, COME WHAT MAY.......I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS YEARS SOONER. I NOW HAD NO REASON NOR EXCUSE LEFT TO JUSTIFY AN ADDICTION THAT STARTED TO KILL ME SOFTLY 39 YEARS AGO AND NOW WAS LITERALLY "TAKING MY BREATH AWAY" .......WE NEED TO BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES.......THEN JUST DO IT PEOPLE. ONLY YOU CAN GIVE THIS FREE GIFT TO YOURSELF AND YOUR LIFE IS SO WORTH IT.......
WENDY------FREE AND HEALING FOR 54 DAYS
Recommend Message 3 of 3 in Discussion
FEARS????
I thought I would get sick or have a stroke or something if I quit because I smoked for so long. How did I conquor that?? I found this site and read everything!!!! I educated myself and realized that quitting wasnt going to kill me. Smoking was!!!!
NTAP
I have been quit for 5 Months, 1 Week, 4 Days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 11 seconds (164 days). I have saved $469.45 by not smoking 1,976 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 20 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/18/2006 11:00 PM
Last edited by realmarino on 07 Mar 2009, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

31 Aug 2006, 07:57 #51

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting? That I would never learn my (the) lesson-never take another puff. That I would continue to smoke, stop, smoke, stop, smoke, die.

2. How did you overcome it? I used my forces for good instead of evil.

3. What did you learn in the process? CHOOSING TO NOT SMOKE is the only absolute truth to remaining nicotine free.

Chevet' - Free and Healing for One Year, Three Months, Twenty Days, 20 Hours and 48 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 132 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9537 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,553.26.

Chevet' - Free and Healing for Two Years, Ten Days, 23 Hours and 13 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 205 Days and 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 29639 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $7,639.96.

01 Sep 2006, 13:48 #52

What was my biggest fear when quitting?

That it would hurt too much & I would give up. That I would end up on the floor, writhing in pain, crying & screaming & jibbering senselessly, & that I would torture myself like this for a couple of days, then give up.

How did I overcome it?

I watched someone I love die inch by inch & discovered that there are worse things in this world than withdraw. Chemo, for example. That's pretty bad. So is radiation. The only thing I can think of that's worse is what the cancer will do if you don't try to chemo & radiate it. So I decided that maybe I could do the withdraw thing after all. My perspective became altered.

What did I learn in the process?

I learned that if you don't have health insurance you will lose your house. I learned that most of the health care providers who work with the terminally ill are saints. I learned that south of the Mason-Dixon line, there are more smokers than tics on a redbone dog. Also more people hooked up to portable oxygen tanks. I learned that life is a blessing, and that maybe I shouldn't throw mine away.

01 Sep 2006, 17:47 #53

I had a bunch of them. First, I thought I was already seriously ill and my health would not improve; I thought I was ready for the hospital. I did not think I could do this. I quit cold turkey using all the tools found here at whyquit.com and my lung capacity improved, my breathing cleared up greatly, my coughing is all but gone and my wife is supportive. Yesterday I started jogging and will be buying a USMC jogging outfit soon. I will proudly wear a patch that says NTAP and run my body to health and a successful quit. My fear is a silly one because I know who I am, once I get to feeling good again I GREATLY FEAR that I will fall to that first puff and the game will be over.

I can only overcome it today, this particular minute, and moment by moment, day by day, facing everything that comes in the play of life just NOT TAKE THAT FIRST PUFF. So far after almost 17 days of freedom it's working and all is well. I am not saying that it is easy but it is simple. The temptation to smoke is no longer powerful and passes quickly. I am an analytical person, I say to myself; hmmm, smoke = death - not to smoke = life as healthy as it can be for me. The choice is simple, NTAP.

I have learned that I can do this. I do have the will power to quit smoking and I have learned that I am addicted to nicotine. This is a given, it will always be so but I do not have to succumb to it. I have learned that I need the support of my loved ones and friends and I have learned that this website is a Godsend to me. I sincerely give thanks for what Joel, John and the rest of the managers have created here. I also thank every person who writes into the site as well - as we grow together we learn together and we will stay clean together.

Joe Do - Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 21 Hours and 16 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 675 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $168.98.

01 Sep 2006, 18:18 #54

That this quit was also, like the countless others that preceded it, doomed to the dustheap of failure

By looking at my kids. My last quit was before my first child was born so quitting with kids around was a new thing for me. The innocence in my kids eyes was a powerful motivating factor and helped me try and overcome my pessimism.

That this quitting thing was doable. That if you set your mind to something, there are no limits to what you can achieve. That the human spirit is an awsome thing.

Robin - day "four score and one"

01 Sep 2006, 18:18 #55

The responses from Hope977 to these questions are powerful and thought provoking. Thank you for a different view of the same problem. Joe

01 Sep 2006, 20:51 #56

How did I miss this gem of a thread? I must post!!
The unknown. It was uncharted territory for me, and while I was growing up with 2 smoking parents I saw how they kept smoking through the begging and pleading (which as a kid I took it to mean that they "actually did try to quit because I asked" but were unable to quit, rather than they didn't listen to me.)
I also had 2 former-smoker grandparents on one side, and a never-smoker grandmother on the other preaching to me the DOOM and GLOOM not only of smoking but of quitting. They made it seem like it was an impossible task.
Granted as I grew up I made my own choices and I was able to reason for myself, but those messages still affected me big time. I was petrified of what was to come. I imagined years, no DECADES of pain and suffering ahead of me. You know, the way my grandparents talked about quitting you'd think I was going to that very hot place they warn you about in church. Now I understand why Joel doesn't like the term "**** Week." (lightbulb moment, yes I can still have them!)
Honestly this site gave me the courage to go for it. I desperately wanted to quit but I just needed to know that it was possible to quit, that I wasn't going to burrrrrrrrn for decades, and just knowing what to expect made a ton of difference.
One day at a time. The oldbies kept drilling that into my head and it was 100% true. Promise myself that for TODAY I was not going to smoke. Don't worry about tomorrow, don't stress about next month, put thoughts of "what about the rest of my life" in the back of my mind. I had to focus on the here and now.
That you CAN quit and be 110% comfortable with your life. The rough spots DO pass (and rather quickly if you compare it to how long smoke was part of my life), and the rough spots were completely survivable. I'll tell you what, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be... but I have NO wish to go through it again that's for sure!!!!
Along the way I learned about the Law of Addiction, this I will keep with me forever and I truly believe it's the single most important thing that will keep me from relapse. It really saddens me that more quitters and health care professionals aren't recognizing the sheer importance of this simple concept. If you're going to quit, then quit. Don't do it halfway and set terms that will allow you a few smokes here and there. That's baloney. Do it right, or you'll be doing it over.
Jill
Kicking Butt for 3 Years, 10 Months+
Last edited by smokefreeJD Gold on 07 Mar 2009, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

02 Sep 2006, 08:41 #57

1. My biggest fear was and still is that I will fail. I feel stronger, but I never forget that I am an addict and that must NTAP if I want to succeed in my quit.

2. I am constantly overcoming this fear with educating myself to strengthen my mind so that I remain quit.

3. I have learned that I am an addict, that I will always be an addict and that if I take one single puff I will be smoking a pack a day again. I have learned that complete and total nicotine cessation is the best way to quit...physical withdrawal was intense but subsided in 3 days leaving you with the psychological triggers to overcome. I have learned how to live as a nonsmoker and enjoy it more than I did when I was a smoker.

Elizabeth - Free from my disgusting nicotine addiction for Twenty Four Days, 9 Hours and 11 Minutes, I have increased my life by 2 Days and 2 Hours, by not smoking 610 death sticks and I also have saved $183.06 simply by never taking another puff.

02 Sep 2006, 12:20 #58

I guess my biggest fear was that of failing to quit one more time and the humiliation I knew that it would bring.

2. How did you over come it?

I started looking for help. I joined a county sponcered smoking cessation program which handed out patches, gum, lozengers all for 1/2 price and ended up being the only one in the group after 5 wks...went on the patch to make it easier, joined another group and no one quit. After being in constant withdrawal for about 2 months, I had just about decided to smoke until the end and then looked for real help and found Why Quit which lead to a conversation with John and then going to Freedom from Tobacco and reading like crazy. That started the process of educating myself on the addiction to nicotine...the possibility that this was doable, and finally I was getting the truth. The philosophy of one day at a time started to work... and I Never Took Another Puff

I am still learning...but I know that I can do this now. I am learning that I have to take it one day at a time, sometimes one minute or hour and I can NTAP...it is that simple...not easy, but simple...I am learning to keep educated on my addiction. I am learning that I am important and that staying quit is vital to my health and well being. I am learning that I really was not meant to be a smoker even after 40 years of smoking my brains out!! I learned that I can NTAP if I want to remain nicotine free.

VICKI - Free and Healing for Thirty Days, 1 Hour and 2 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 601 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $135.36.

12 Nov 2006, 12:39 #59

What an important thread!

Not exactly a fear, but a mistaken belief that I would be losing a major pleasure in life.

I had tried to quit several times and found it agonizing. I just couldn't live like that. I knew withdrawal symptoms would lessen over time but I thought they would lessen very slowly, and in the meantime I would be tortured, unable to work, to sleep, etc.

I was driven to try again due to sickness. (asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia). Depressed and desperate I decided to surf the net for inspiration and to try to built up my determination. I didn't really expect to find anything helpful. I figured I knew everything I needed to know. I found the knowledge I needed at WhyQuit.

3. What did you learn in the process

Knowing that after the first 72 hours the physical addiction would be gone made it a lot easier to bear. Other times it felt as though that would be endless which really would have been unbearable.

Finding out that life would be more pleasurable not less pleasurable as an ex-smoker. Once I really fully realized that my life was going to improve, that I wasn't losing something I was gaining something, the decision to do it was easy.

So many times I have asked ex-smokers if they still crave cigarettes. Most if not all said yes, once in a while, but that it wasn't bad. Nobody told me they weren't really cravings, just passing thoughts, nobody told me how fast the worst withdrawal would be over,........ but especially important, nobody told me my life would be so much better... that life would be more fun not less fun...that I'd feel calmer not more nervous.

I am just 36 minutes past my Glory Week, I still have lots of thoughts and urges but they are easy to reject because I have already had a taste of what my future will hold. I can't wait.

I will NTAP because my future is so much better than my past I would never risk going backwards.

09 Jan 2007, 13:10 #60

still thinking about this one, but what a great thread...will come back with more wisdom and reflection at some point.
alex 1 month clear

09 Jan 2007, 13:42 #61

my biggest fear was losing that feeling of a 'reward' that I would get whenever I finished a task and I would have a cigarette. It took awhile, but eventually I got over it. (time heals everything). I finally realized that not having to **** down deadly chemcials WAS my reward.

09 Jan 2007, 22:57 #62

My biggest fear was that the nagging, disabilitating, craving wouldn't let up. NRT's had taught me they last for more that a year in the past. Watching Joel's Videos convinced me that I was clearly wrong and showed me that I had never REALLY tried to quit the right way. So I figured I would give it my best shot. Worse case scenario = 3 days of total misery and if it didn't let up soon after that I'd end up back where I was in the first place puffing away. I can't believe it. He was actually telling the truth. About everything. Now I'm finally on the other side and the monkey is off my back. And I'm getting choked up right now..... ...
Sorry about that... I learned a lot of things but the main lesson was that the craving , while intense and frequent only lasted for a 2 or 3 minutes each... and they are very infrequent now in just one week !!!
Dale - Free and Healing for Eight Days, 5 Hours and 26 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 197 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $38.22.
Last edited by musician smokefree on 07 Mar 2009, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

10 Jan 2007, 07:45 #63

okay, thought about it some more....

What was your biggest fear when quitting?
My biggest fear was that I didn't understand my cravings enough to get through them. A fear of building my hopes yet again, and then failing myself. I can be a _huge_ overanalyzer, but as much brainpower as i put into this part of myself, I couldn't come up with a "reason" for every time I craved, or I couldn't put my addiction into a precise box like I thought I had to in order to quit. ("hmm...i feel worried right now so I am craving a cigarette at a level 5 of intensity") . And when cravings came in the past, I had not found a way to get through them...replacement behavior didn't work on the spot. I didn't understand my addiction, and because of that I was afraid I could not overcome it.

The night I decided to quit, I got on line and just started looking for information to reinforce my reasons to quit. I found this site, and was blown away by the information provided. My addiction seemed understandable for the first time, and even better, the way to get out of it seemed doable. I read all the biology information about nicotine and it finally made sense. I was still scared, but felt more hopeful than I had felt in quite some time.

My first 3 days I boarded myself in my house, and as a reward took my third day off of work. Psychologically, getting through the first 72 hours without other stresses was key for me...I am not one of those that could have kept things normal. And those first 3 days, and every day since then, I've spent hours just reading here and finding clarity, or pushing myself to think in other ways than I had before.

Still learning....but so far I am reminded that for me the preparation of change takes more energy than the actual change. I also learned to keep looking for the answers I NEED when faced with a difficult transition or thing to do. It took a lot of continued searching for me to eventually land at whyquit, and if I had stopped I would not have found the information I needed to hear to be successful. I think in our culture it is easy to be spoon fed information, and I am just reminded that I'm smart enough to find answers that aren't readily present in front of me.

11 Jan 2007, 02:35 #64

My biggest fear was the out of no where thinking, "'m gonna go have a cigarette now". Forgetting for a split second that I quit. It just creeps into your brain without warning.

To overcome it I remember my quit list and remember to NTAP.

I learned to never let myself catch me off guard.

11 Jan 2007, 03:46 #65

Ooh I like this one!

That I just wouldn't be "me" anymore. That I would lose my sense of self. Little did I know how much sense of self I would start to actually gain by quitting. Also I was very afraid I wouldn't be able to be creative any more.

By taking things one day at a time. And facing situations that I was afraid of being in without nicotine and then emerging from them without relapsing.

I gained a lot of confidence doing this and so I suppose that I learned that all the things I used to do while smoking I can do just fine now without smoking..and some even better!

Btw..I am double green now!!

Ginger...2 months plus
Last edited by gingersnaps1018 on 07 Mar 2009, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.