What was your biggest fear when quitting?

TedS

05 Jan 2005, 07:35 #41

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting?

My biggest fear is the how irritable I am at the moment. I have been very short with the people that mean the most to me.

2. How did you overcome it?

I am working on it now, I just need to take a deep breath before I say something in anger, that in retrospect, is completely out of context.

3. What did you learn in the process?

I have read alot of info on the board and realize that this is a sign of the strength of my addiction to nicotine. And my bodies response to the lack of the adrenaline rush that I am used to.

WellZoegirl

20 Mar 2005, 05:59 #42

My biggest fear was that life would be completely unbearable without smoking.

I quit, took one day at a time (sometimes one minute at a time) and realized that I could get up every day, live my life, go to sleep and wake up the next day. Quitting didn't kill me. As a matter of fact, honestly, it didn't even hurt. The fear was ALL in my head.

That apparently I do have willpower. That I was a slave to nicotine. That I am free now. And frankly, that's all that matters.

ImageWellzoegirl, 53 glorious days of my freedom
Last edited by WellZoegirl on 07 Mar 2009, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

KelliePfree1

10 Dec 2005, 03:22 #43

Lisa,
Wow, this post was very powerful for me! The three things you listed as your fears were the exact same issues I was dealing with. 90% of my friends smoke. Now that they have seen me doing well with my quit, they are starting to ask what motivated me and how I stay dedicated to it. Of course I tell them to go to whyquit.com to educate themselves.
I am still pretty early into my quit but with the support here and finally knowing that I am an addict and not a weak person that can not overcome a "habit" I feel that each day is doable. Thanks again to everyone here!
Kellie Image
I have now stopped smoking for 13 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes, 31 seconds. That translates into 327 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $65.4! I have increased my life expectancy by 1 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes, 53 seconds.
Last edited by KelliePfree1 on 07 Mar 2009, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

CMondragon21170

10 Dec 2005, 06:31 #44

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting? That I would never learn my (the) lesson-never take another puff. That I would continue to smoke, stop, smoke, stop, smoke, die.

2. How did you overcome it? I used my forces for good instead of evil.

3. What did you learn in the process? Never take another puff is the only absolute truth to remaining nicotine free.

Chevet' - Free and Healing for One Year, Three Months, Twenty Days, 20 Hours and 48 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 132 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9537 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,553.26.

GoldenDivamom1972

10 Dec 2005, 10:57 #45

That I would fail...again. I couldn't bear the thought of disappointing my family and friends for the millionth time.

mslindy6

10 Dec 2005, 16:02 #46

Strange as this may sound I was afraid quitting smoking would change me in some negative way, I liked the way I was, I was content in my little world and did not want to fact the mind games that nicotine withdrawal can play on you, I did not want to deal with any discomfort at all. The fear of having thoughts of wanting a smoke go through my mind incessantly to much to bear.

I decided that change was better than death. I was still afraid when I quit and I had to drag myself through each minute, hour, and day for the first 3 days. I read all the material on quitting here whyquit.com and put into action the tips I read, lots of water and juice, watch the blood sugar etc. It made a world of difference and my fears did not actually happen!

3. Don't decide in your mind how your quit is going to be before you quit. It will be quite different if you are educated. Quit and NTAP and you will be glad you did the best thing in the world for YOURSELF!

quit nic 13

10 Dec 2005, 19:20 #47

What was my biggest fear when quitting:

That I would be able to quit for a little while but the "urge, crave, or trigger" or whatever name anyone wants to call it would be too strong for me to quit for a long period of time.

How did I overcome it:

In the begining by going a day at a time - getting days to add up ---I called it getting stubborn and saying stubborn - and telling myself well can not get worse - can only get better and easier.

What did I learn in the process:

Worth it to get stubborn - Now I am over a year quit and the "crave, urge, or trigger" or whatever name anyone calls it is almost non existant. Would say at this point maybe once a month get the thougt or remembering of smoking but is over in about 3 seconds.
Anyone thinking of quitting - I would say get stubborn - stay stubborn - - it is worth it and sooner than you think you will be able to look back and say - BEST THING I EVER DID.

Starshinegrl Gold

10 Dec 2005, 20:47 #48

I guess it was a combination of fear of failure and success, although I just had a look at my diary and saw that I didn't think that was the case in the beginning.

I was so afraid of relapsing again (I thought I had known before I started out on my journey that smoking is so much more than just a "habit" but I cannot have accepted the fact that I was / am a true addict as well.), losing my self-respect completely for relapsing again - but also afraid of forever having feelings of "wanting" or "needing" a cigarette again and of never being comfortable without my fix.

Positive thinking, opposing all my junkie thoughts with the truth, laughing at myself and the triggers that have been coming my way, taking it one day, one hour and sometimes one minute at a time (they still all added up)

Life happens, it will always keep happening ... it can be sad, happy, frustrating, infuriating ... it doesn't care at all about me smoking or not. Nicotine cannot make anything better, it cannot fix anything - and while I enjoy my status as a recovering addict, I have learnt that I will always be just one puff away from crossing the fine dividing line to becoming a fully fledged, actively using addict again.

Gitte
379 days and a bit

SmokefreeJason

22 Dec 2005, 04:39 #49

What was the biggest fear when quitting?:

Honestly... Fear kept me from quitting for the better part of the last 15 years. Mostly Fear about loosing something special. Loosing the Talks during "addiction induced" breaks. I was affraid of loosing my freedom.
When I actually quit, there was no Fear at all, not for one second!

See above, I never overcame it until two weeks ago, by trusting into my strenght and will to live. I started reading about it by typing "Why Quit Smoking" into a Search Engine and landed here... I was looking for supportive material to tell me the good reasons for quitting... and found a bunch of fine people right here!

The Human Body is an amazing Machine, constantly working to keep itself running smooth. Your Heart is even more amazing. Your Mind wins any award possible for being able to scope with all the craves and physical dependency feelings. There is one thing I have learned as well: I learned to thank my Heart and Body for putting up with the S*** if have asked them to take for the last 15 years. I learned a few things more along the way: "The Tobacco Industry is Huge. They spend billions on convincing people that what they do is fine. They are killers. I learned that I can STOP Cold turkey, as I started Cold Turkey 15 Years ago. I never prepared my Body to smoke... why should I when I don't smoke anymore?
NEVER AGAIN!

realmarino

31 Aug 2006, 04:27 #50

Recommend Message 1 of 3 in Discussion
Fear is what kept us smoking for so long - fear of misery when we put them down forever. Overcoming our fear was essential to our quitting and staying quit.
Help a newbie (and an oldbie) by relating your inspirations - how did you conquor your fears???

A couple of thoughts from The Bard:

There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortunes; omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat; and we must take the current when it serves, or lose our venture.

Our doubts are traitors,

And make us lose the good we oft might win,
By fearing to attempt.
Never give up!

Lizzy - Free and Healing for Two Months, Ten Days, 12 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2504 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $439.42.

First Previous 2-3 of 3
Message 2 of 3 in Discussion
MY FEAR OF LIVING WITH OR DYING FROM A SMOKING-RELATED DISEASE WAS STRONGER THAN MY FEAR OF QUITTING.......THE EDUCATION AND TRUTH OF WHYQUIT.COM AND FREEDOM IS WHAT SHONE THE LIGHT TO EXPOSE THE FALLACIES OF QUITTING, THE REALITIES OF NOT QUITTING AND CONTINUES TO GIVE ME THE MOTIVATION TO DISCARD THIS MONSTER, COME WHAT MAY.......I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS YEARS SOONER. I NOW HAD NO REASON NOR EXCUSE LEFT TO JUSTIFY AN ADDICTION THAT STARTED TO KILL ME SOFTLY 39 YEARS AGO AND NOW WAS LITERALLY "TAKING MY BREATH AWAY" .......WE NEED TO BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES.......THEN JUST DO IT PEOPLE. ONLY YOU CAN GIVE THIS FREE GIFT TO YOURSELF AND YOUR LIFE IS SO WORTH IT.Image......
WENDY---Image---FREE AND HEALING FOR 54 DAYS
Recommend Message 3 of 3 in Discussion
FEARS????
I thought I would get sick or have a stroke or something if I quit because I smoked for so long. How did I conquor that?? I found this site and read everything!!!! I educated myself and realized that quitting wasnt going to kill me. Smoking was!!!!
NTAP
I have been quit for 5 Months, 1 Week, 4 Days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 11 seconds (164 days). I have saved $469.45 by not smoking 1,976 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 20 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/18/2006 11:00 PM
Last edited by realmarino on 07 Mar 2009, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.