What was your biggest fear when quitting?

John (Gold)

25 Feb 2004, 22:10 #31

Although fear is an important initial motivator it is not an enduring or sustaining motivation as your body is likely undergoing its most widespread healing ever. What will happen to any fears that we waited too long before quitting and the damage inflicted is beyond repair once we notice our senses of smell and taste recover, our morning cough or wheeze disappear and all of the sudden notice an up to 30% functional lung capacity? Imagine your primary quitting motivation disappearing before your very eyes.

If your list of reasons for quitting contain lots of fear factors do not fret but instead gradually recast each into sustainable positive motives able to build and grow instead of decay or disappear. Instead of fearing the worst, dream about being all you can be and reaching for your best. Transform fear of failing health into a dream of improving health. By doing so, each time we notice our healing it won't deprive us of a bit more of our core motivation but will instead bring a smile to our face and add purpose to this wonderful temporary journey of adjustment!

Keep the conscious rational mind's dreams louder than subconscious mind's irrational unfounded fears. Why fear arriving at a day where we never once think about wanting to use nicotine? Why fear a calm and quiet mind that's no longer filled with addiction's chatter? Why fear the prospect of again fully and comfortably engaging life as us? The key to staying on this side of the bars and keeping our now arrested dependency on the other is as simple as no nicotine today! The next few minutes are all that matter and each will be doable!

John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 08 Mar 2009, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.

Hooked On Hammies

18 Apr 2004, 00:48 #32

This thread kicks major nicotine butt !!! Thanks John !
1. My biggest fear was that the first three days would be horrible and that I would literally lose it because of all the daily stress in my life.
2. I overcame it by realizing that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had built it up in my head to be some horrible thing but at the end of the day (first 3 days actually lol) I realized on the whole that the withdrawals weren't as bad as all that (although I know all quits are different. I guess I just got lucky this time. but attitude helps).
3. How to fully enjoy the healing process while at the same time being prepared to downshift into ODAAT mode (or even one hour at a time, if I have to, during particularly rough moments).
Knowing through my own experience and the experience of those who have gone before that the bad moments DO indeed pass and you DO get back to where you want to be. That is, enjoying the healing and feeling the calm again.
YES, lurkers or newbies who may be reading this. I said CALM after only 2 weeks and a bit.
And I'm enjoying every single moment of it you can bet on it Image

Hammie

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 9 hours, 53 minutes and 26 seconds (18 days). I have saved $55.23 by not smoking 368 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 6 hours and 40 minutes of my life.
Last edited by Hooked On Hammies on 07 Mar 2009, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Georja1952

18 Apr 2004, 11:53 #33

1. What was your biggest fear when quitting?
The first time I decided to quit I thought it would be easy, all I had to do was quit. I didn't know I was an addict to nicotine.

Well, I hated the way I felt, I was nervous, irritable, I felt like I was missing something every second and every breathe. After a few days I caved in for a fix, I thought I could just have one smoke... you know the rest of the story.

My biggest fear was the thought of having to go through withdrawal again.

2. How did you overcome it?
I knew that the anti-smoking ads, my friends, my family, my doctor, and even the warning on the package was right. I needed to quit.

"I love to smoke" I told my doctor, "I just hate what it represents, and that it has such a control on me. But I love it when I can lite up and take that drag, but I really really do hate it!" He laughed at me and then looked me in the eye and said "That is the addiction, and you are talking like a true addict. I am 12 years older than you and I will probably out live you."

I told him that I really do want to quit, and he suggested that I should join some support group, 'don't do it alone'. A couple of weeks later, I decided that it was time, I really want to end this addiction. I searched the internet and found this site called whyquit.com and FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow group.

Education, understanding, and support helped me to overcome my fear of quitting.

3. What did you learn in the process?
I have learned that quitting is doable. It was somewhat comforting just to know that I was nicotine free after 72 hours. I have learned that it helped to be in communication with others that are going through what I was going through. I have learned that education is necessary to really understand the effects of nicotine and what it means to be an addict. I have learned that I will always be an addict, and that one puff would cause me to lose my quit. I NEVER WANT TO GO THROUGH ANOTHER QUIT AGAIN... I have chosen to Never Take Another Puff -One Day at a Time.

Thanks for creating this safe place for me to come when I need education and support. And thanks to all you addicts.. you are the proof I needed.
Georja
5 weeks, 4 days, 23 hours, 57 minutes

Melidana2

18 Dec 2004, 23:55 #34

My biggest fear was that everyday for the rest of my life was gonna feel the way it felt the first few hours nicotine free.

Michele
11days

Just Gie Gold

19 Dec 2004, 00:12 #35

• Fear? Probably that I hadn't done it in time. Near the end of my smoking life, I would look at the cigarette while smoking it and keep thinking "What if I got cancer? Who would take care of my kids? "
  • I quit! I still have that fear from time to time, but now I can say I did the best thing possible to reduce the likelihood of dying young. Geez I'm only 28..but when I look at stories like Noni.....that's pretty motivating.
  • What was the most shocking? That life goes on without smoking! It's hard to picture in the beginning but it's easier to live without them. I have more time, more money, more self-esteem, and a better attitude!

FearNothingDK GOLD

19 Dec 2004, 01:32 #36

• I was afraid the physical withdrawel would last several weeks or months and that I would not be able to deal with life without smoking, and would forever break down and cry when confronted by stressful situations. I was afraid of feeling 'lost'.
  • I quit listening to other smokers and their doubts and fears about quitting smoking. I told myself I could do it, and so just quit on my own terms, blocking out the words of other smokers about how impossible it was to do. And because I was serious about wanting to quit, I searched the internet for some quit smoking tips. I found WhyQuit.com and became educated.
  • I too discovered life goes on without smoking! I learned the nicotine would be out of my body in only 72 hours!!!! I learned that I really was an addict and have to treat nicotine addiction seriously. I learned it really isn't as hard to quit as I thought and as other smokers always say. I also learned that having a positive attitude about not smoking makes a HUGE difference. I learned to have patience! What a virtue that is! The GREATEST thing I learned is to believe in myself!!! I also learned about who I am and discovered I am a much stronger person than I believed I was, and that I don't need any crutches - especially deadly ones!

Sandy - Free and Healing for Nine Months, Twenty Days, 10 Hours and 28 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 12 Days and 6 Hours, by avoiding the use of 3533 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,430.53.

FearNothingDK GOLD

19 Dec 2004, 01:43 #37

Oops! I almost forgot!
I ALSO learned that ...
I can NEVER take another puff!!!!!!
That's definitely huge for me because I was the queen of "I've been good and haven't smoked for a week now ... one puff won't hurt and I deserve it".
WRONG!!!!
It's so VERY easy for me now ... as long as I remember my commitment to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Sandy - 9 months free
Last edited by FearNothingDK GOLD on 07 Mar 2009, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

carvoiero gold

20 Dec 2004, 19:26 #38

My biggest fear was that I had left it too late to avoid the horrible slow early death that my mother had after a lifetime of nicotine dependency. I was 54, about to become a grandmother and could no longer convince myself that I had plenty of time left.

I am still trying to overcome it, but every day that goes by and every health improvement that I notice, I am a bit more confident (reduced blood pressure, feet that look flesh-coloured in winter and not changing between white, purple and bright red, ability to run - a little, but working on it - without becoming breathless etc).

I learned that maybe it's never too late, that I (and anyone) can increase my chances of living a longer healthier life by never taking another puff. After 9+ months it really seems doable.

Marion

Joel

20 Dec 2004, 19:58 #39

Fear of Success. The fear of success may keep more people from starting a quit than the fear of failure. The reason people are so afraid of success is that they are often working with a false perception of what life will be without smoking. No matter how how many people tell them what life can be like without smoking, the perception an active smoker has is going to persist until the person quits smoking and sees for him or herself that life really does go on without smoking.

In clinic settings I always explain to the participants that the real goal of the clinic is to help the participants to get off for two weeks. Two weeks-that's it. In two weeks each clinic graduate will start to get a true sense of what it is like not to smoke. If the person decides that he or she hates not smoking, that life is unbearable, that he or she can no longer work, no longer carry on normal rational thoughts, no longer maintain a normal family existence, no longer have any fun or no longer able to meet life's ongoing demands-he or she will be fully capable of just going back to smoking. A person should never be afraid to quit because of the feeling that if he or she quits, he or she will not be able to get him or herself back to smoking again if the so chooses. The choice should always be based on whether the person wants to go back to full-fledged smoking or smoke nothing-but the choice for full fledged smoking exists for all ex-smokers.

On the other hand, if in the two weeks the person decides that he or she likes not smoking-maybe not smoking isn't perfect-but he or she is starting to get a flavor of where life is heading, how he or she is starting to face up to life demands and handling them reasonably well, maybe even a little better than he or she was just a few weeks earlier while still an active smoker, he or she has the choice of staying smoke free for another day.

People giving themselves the opportunity to see what not smoking is really like will overcome all these fears and generally truly appreciate the gift that they give themselves by being nicotine free. There are very few people who have ever left a clinic graduation went out and bought a carton or a case because they gave it the two weeks and decide that they really now want to become a full-fledged smoker again. Yes some people will throw away their quits days or weeks later, but it is not because they choose to relapse and are making a conscious decision to smoke until it kills them-it is because they get complacent and start to believe that they can somehow now control their quantity or duration of smoking. They almost inevitably regret this mistake and many will end up paying for it with their lives.

For as scary as quitting may be up front, the reality of what smoking can lead if understood is terrifying. A drag on a cigarette can end up costing a person tens of thousands of dollars, his or her independence, health and life. The reality of smoking does not improve with time, the fears intensify as symptoms develop and life gets a little more limited and the control nicotine exerts gets stronger and stronger.

You must quit smoking to see what life is really like as an ex-smoker and to some degree really recognize what life was like as a smoker. The longer you go without smoking and the more you understand, the less scary life will be and the more resolute you will continue to be to never take another puff!

Joel

From the new string Fear of Success. Original version from Monster under the bed .

Pryde65 GOLD

20 Dec 2004, 23:55 #40

My biggest fear was that I would succeed and never be able to have another cigarette.

After I learned not to look at it as NEVER having another cigarette, and to take it in smaller steps...getting through the hour, the day, the week, whatever, and put it in better perspective, it was much easier to face...the prospect of quitting, that is. (Thank you, by the way, Freedom!)

I learned that I am a nicotine addict (no, I did not understand this before September of this year), and that has changed the way that I look at the whole process. It's not about giving up a nasty habit, it's about overcoming and controlling an addiction. I have learned to see the positive side of not smoking instead of the easy way of staying an active addict. I have learned that I like being in control of my mind and body, and not allowing a substance to control it.

Sue