What does my quit mean to me now ?

March 18th, 2004, 11:45 pm #41

I can,t believe that i have never responded to this,as marty says that dreading feeling when going to bed,i have my first sore throat since i quit,it is a dry cough,but what a difference to go to bed and believe that this is what i have,a year ago i would have had a big dark shadow hanging over me,i would have went to bed wondering as i tried to doze off if i was suffering from something more serious.My quit means the world to me now,i see things very clearly as far as nicotine addiction is concerned,i am in a place where active addiction is a thousand miles away but ironically it is also just a puff away,thankfully that puff is no longer an option.
Rickdabler 1 year 1 week 2 days 12 hrs happily nicotine free.

March 19th, 2004, 10:58 pm #42

Like Rick I can't believe I've never posted how much I love this post. Marty is, as always spot on.
Last edited by SweetLorraine (Gold) on November 5th, 2009, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2004, 11:06 pm #43

Hey, I wrote that nearly two years ago
And you know what ? I still agree with myself
Still going stronger and stronger, calmer and easier, every month and year that rolls by.
And LOVING IT !!!!!!!!!!!
Marty
NOT A PUFF for three years, three months, two weeks : 21687 cigarettes not smoked, saving $7,590.75: Life saved: 10 weeks, 5 days
Last edited by marty (gold) on November 5th, 2009, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2004, 10:40 am #44

If 200 butts are pictured above then piture another
110 ashtrays just like it that Marty didn't smoke
Last edited by John (Gold) on November 5th, 2009, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 20th, 2004, 8:33 pm #45

If you're on Day Three and still hurting, this is what you have to look forward to.

Don't cheat yourself out of this kind of comfort.
Last edited by Hillbilly(Gold) on November 5th, 2009, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 4th, 2004, 1:58 pm #46

You 'oldies' do us 'newbies' a great service by bumping these posts to the top. It's comforting to know that a person like Marty, who's been quit for four or more years, has felt what we're feeling now and encouraging to realize (and believe) that someday we'll be feeling what they feel now.

And John, that ashtray looks just like the 'bucket 'o butts' I used to keep in the backyard and threw out on the second day of my quit. What fond memories that brings back of days standing outside in the rain while the rest of the family asked 'where's dad?'.

I'm imagining myself not smoking that many butts and I'm smiling.

Terry

December 4th, 2004, 6:34 pm #47

Ha ! It's not often I see my name on a thread on the front page But as it's here, I'll just check in to confirm that I'm still loving it, still enjoying the huge benefits of not smoking
... and still hoping that all of you newer quitters get to enjoy it too !!!
Marty
NOT A PUFF FOR four years, 4 days : 26,364 cigarettes not smoked, saving £6,050.63. Life extended by: 13 weeks
Last edited by marty (gold) on November 5th, 2009, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 9th, 2004, 8:18 am #48

Hi Marty,

Thank you for this post. I look forward to being a non-smoker. Your post gives me the passion to keep moving in the direction I am.

pat

I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 20 hours, 18 minutes and 3 seconds (51 days). I have saved $324.03 by not smoking 1,296 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days and 12 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 10/17/2004

January 21st, 2005, 9:40 am #49

Thanks for bringing up this thread, and thanks for starting it in the first place, Marty. It gives me so much to look forward to. I'm excited!

Amy
Free and Healing for Seventeen Days, 14 Hours and 23 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 528 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $132.09.

February 11th, 2005, 11:22 am #50

For Joe... Thought this might help answer your question.
yqf,
Tiffany
Last edited by TiffQuit on November 5th, 2009, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2005, 4:39 am #51

As Marty notes, freedom is an extremely bright spot in my life and a source of emotional nourishment during dusty days. It may at times be hard to see early on, but this is likely the most loving gift that you've ever given you. It's a gift worthy of holding close and protecting above all else. Millions upon millions of words here in Freedom's more than 263,000 archived member posts but just one guiding principle determining the outcome for all ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff! John (Gold x5)
Last edited by John (Gold) on November 5th, 2009, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2005, 10:54 pm #52

Thanks Marty, for such an awe-inspiring story of hope!!

My name is OneMircl52, and I am a nicotine addict.
I have stopped nicotine for 11 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 33 seconds (11 days).

I've not smoked 228 death sticks, and saved $45.56.
I've saved 18 hours and 58 minutes of my life.

June 11th, 2005, 8:08 am #53

Wow, I just found this post, and all I can say is wow, like a good quit, this place (Freedom) just keeps getting better and better.
A post like this just strengthens my resolve, as now I have to get to where Marty was so I can feel it to (I never wanted to miss out on anything).
Last edited by dsyf3r on November 5th, 2009, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2005, 9:45 am #54

Marty, your post "rocks"! You said "But being a quitter, now that's something different, that's exciting, that still gives me a buzz." This morning I was reflecting on my "quit reasons". I agree, being a quitter is still so special. I know in my heart that one major quit reason is one is how you described every night: "The thing I miss is the awful, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I used to get every night when I went to bed, the dread of what I was doing to my body, and the feeling of self-disgust that I wasn't doing what I knew I should do about it. When I smoked, even the best of days was ruined."

Thanks, I will keep this one close at hand - "What does my quit mean to me now?" ... Freedom, which gives me a buzz

Thanks!

Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for Seven Months, Twenty Three Days, 12 Hours and 40 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 13 Days and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4021 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $812.06.

June 11th, 2005, 3:20 pm #55

Thanks, Steve, for putting this on the main board again. It also made me think of another one of Marty's really rocking posts:
Thank you, Marty, for all your posts that help all of us following in your footsteps to stay on the right path!
Gitte
197 days and a bit
Last edited by Starshinegrl Gold on November 5th, 2009, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2006, 9:17 am #56

If you never take another puff, one day at a time this is what you have to look forward to! Marty says it so well.
The early days are the early days..and they require attention and education and dedication and celebration.
It is worth it all, whether easy or hard, good, or bad, happy or sad.
Trust the ones ahead of you on the path of Freedom. It gets better and better.
Never take another puff, dip, or chew. No nicotine today. One day at a time.

Sal
Three years, two months, three weeks, five days, 18 hours, 17 minutes and 7 seconds. 28362 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,672.46. Life saved: 14 weeks, 11 hours, 30 minutes.

April 9th, 2006, 2:57 am #57

Thanks, Sal gold. The answer to a lot of questions.
Best, Joanne, 3 mos on Monday -- can you believe it?
Last edited by FoolishWorkinj on November 5th, 2009, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2006, 4:07 am #58

The thing I am acutely aware of at these times of reflection is the thing I most miss since I quit. The thing I miss is the awful, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I used to get every night when I went to bed, the dread of what I was doing to my body, and the feeling of self-disgust that I wasn't doing what I knew I should do about it. When I smoked, even the best of days was ruined.

But now, the huge emotional boost I get to my self-esteem from knowing that I have now done what I always knew I should, I QUIT, the feeling of pride I still get twenty months later, makes any good day even better.

We often say to people here that your quit will get better and better. But what I'm experiencing is not just "better", it's much more than that. I don't know if what I feel is unique to me, or whether this is what the future holds for all of you. I hope that you'll stay around to find out for yourself.

Marty

Huh, how bout that. Me too! Gladder every day for my decision to stick it out. Knew it would be good, cause I was told it could. I Believed. Joe - just a few days shy of 15 months.

Believe in You & NTAP!

May 27th, 2006, 7:47 am #59

Strange I visited today and saw this at the top because I am just over 20 months quit! And, I feel the exact same way! Even the seemingly worst days in the world can be appreciated in that way: I am a quitter! Hurrah! I haven't posted here in a very long time, but I check in when I can. I feel healthier and stronger than ever. My weight is stable (and lower than when I was a smoker!), I can run and play with my students at work and spend hours focusing on a task without even thinking about stopping. I plan on posting again soon with all my new experiences,but I really wanted to join this thread as it is so right on!

my very best to all,
mari
Free and Healing for One Year, Eight Months, Seventeen Days, 23 Hours and 46 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 32 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9375 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,404.96.

June 27th, 2006, 8:10 am #60

Yes, it gets better! If it didn't then Freedom wouldn't be here.
Oldies wouldn't be here encouraging new quitters.
Remember why you quit, educate your brain, be patient, celebrate your freedom, and day by day by day as your brain and body heals the comfort will grow.
Never take another puff, dip, or chew.

Sal
Three years, five months, two weeks

July 29th, 2006, 7:02 am #61

From above:

Well, when I get one of those days I think of my quit and I smile. I remind myself of what I've done for me and I get a warm, happy feeling. My quit cheers me up and the world doesn't seem so bad after all.

October 10th, 2006, 9:18 am #62

October 10th, 2006, 9:57 am #63

Funny to see this thread at the top. Its been over a week since I visited here, whereas the first few months I seldom missed a day. I'm not sure what brought me here today, I think now I don't really come for me much anymore, perhaps just to quickly read one thread and post in a parade to see my stats. I think now its more to return the favour to others lurking who were like me once, wondering if it was actually possible. Indeed it is!

I was reflecting tonight, and thinking about my quit to pick me up a bit. It made me proud again. And I laughed as I realized that thinking about my quit felt better than having a cigarette used to.

Its pretty remarkable how I feel as I come up to 5 months now. I cant remember the last craving I had, maybe for two about seconds 10 days ago. But, big deal, I wished I could win the lottery right after it. I may think about the fact I've quit sometimes, but it doesn't bother me or make me fear I'll relapse.

It makes me laugh so hard when I used to wonder what would I do if I quit and found myself alone with cigs, How would I trust myself. It really reinforces how bad addiction was when smoking. Of course its just silly now, if I was alone with smokes I just wouldn't smoke them. Never take another puff has sunk in.

I have been quit for 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 4 Days

I have saved $1,773.47 by not smoking 4,433 cigarettes.

I have saved 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 9 hours and 25 minutes of my life.

Wow

January 22nd, 2007, 1:57 pm #64

"And I laughed as I realized that thinking about my quit felt better than having a cigarette used to."
What a fantastic realization thinkwild - this is why it is important to read the responses to threads! Little gems, little gems just waiting to be found and reinforced in my brain.
Great post all around!
Alex
I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 6 Days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 8 seconds (44 days). I have saved $143.25 by not smoking 573 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 23 hours and 45 minutes of my life.

March 2nd, 2007, 9:23 am #65

Many of us thought that as ex-smokers we would always miss smoking, that we would suffer forever, that life just wouldn't be as good without smoking/ nicotine.

The truth is that with education to help us navigate the temporary adjustment we will heal and evolve into living our lives comfortably without the drug that controlled us. Our brains learn, our bodies heal, and life is worth living!

Take full advantage of everything that www.whyquit.com and Freedom have to offer. Read and read and re-read. You are worth it and You can do it!

No nicotine today, one day at a time.

Sal
4 years free