What does my quit mean to me now ?

Lyverbyrd

26 Jul 2003, 22:48 #31

Wow....Lotus. I so want to feel the way that you do!

Robin Lady Di

01 Aug 2003, 03:33 #32

That's a good question because my 19 day old quit is the most important thing I have going on. It's so new to me that it's most often the subject of my thoughts. I know as time goes on my preocupation with quitting will be replaced by other realities but for now I am embracing my quit and giving it all the attention it needs. It's a new friend to me and we need to spend time getting used to each other. My quit is my lifeline to a better tomorrow. I be glad when we are better acquainted and can share some silent time together but for now we talk a lot. I have a lot to learn about dealing with life without using cigarettes as my crutch. The best thing about my quit is knowing I can stay quit.

John (Gold)

12 Sep 2003, 20:46 #33

Did nicotine's two-hour half-life inside our body ever allow us to really relax and really rest? Imagine the extremely joyous times in life never again being interrupted to tend to the needs of our addiction. The constant sense of calmness and comfort awaiting you is "you" and you'll never have to smoke to stay there!

Joel

29 Nov 2003, 03:08 #34

ImageA new member was looking for some positve posts.
Last edited by Joel on 05 Nov 2009, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

OBob Gold

08 Jan 2004, 08:03 #35

The future is out there for you to grab. Image
Last edited by OBob Gold on 05 Nov 2009, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Hillbilly(Gold)

12 Jan 2004, 08:31 #36

It's hard for me to believe that I am now where Marty was when he wrote this. Go back thru the various posts on this thread and do the math.
It was at my request that Marty wrote this, and it's as timely now as it was then. If you're reading this in your early days, believe it when I tell you that if you'll just give it time, things will get better. They did for me.
It's been so long for me that I have trouble remembering how hard it is for you at three days or three weeks. I tell you this to give you a reason to take heart--it does get better. Life does go on without cigarettes, I know because I've been there. I know, and I remember that I didn't believe the "oldies" when they told me this. I know, and I hope you believe. I hope you believe and give quitting a chance like I did.
I didn't believe, but I thought "What the heck, what have I got to lose, except a habit (addiction). And it worked. You don't have to believe, you just have to take things one day at a time. It's like Marty said, well go back and read it for yourself.
Just do it.
ImageDave
I don't smoke and I don't chew and I don't go with the girls that do. 1 Year 8 Months 3 Weeks 3 Days 22 Hours 27 Minutes 31 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 22187. Money saved: $2,773.47.
Last edited by Hillbilly(Gold) on 05 Nov 2009, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

twink1291

12 Jan 2004, 09:40 #37

Marty, I love this post and its very helpful, but it seems to contradict other things I 've read at this site that says once an addict, always an addict. I am really worried about relapsing this weekend where I will be with people who smoke. I've been smoke-free for 3 weeks.

OBob Gold

12 Jan 2004, 09:54 #38

"Marty, I love this post and its very helpful, but it seems to contradict other things I 've read at this site that says once an addict, always an addict. I am really worried about relapsing this weekend where I will be with people who smoke. I've been smoke-free for 3 weeks."
Perhaps your confusion is a result of your understanding about what it means to be an addict. Marty is an addict. Ditto me. Same for Dave and for you. But, what does that mean? Quite simply, it means that we are one puff away from being exactly where we were 5 minutes before we quit. Being an addict forever doesn't mean being miserable or constantly fearful. It means that, in order maintain your freedom from the substance to which we're addicted (nicotine in this case) we have to follow one simple rule: refraining from ever putting that substance into our bodies again.
Your fear of the upcoming weekend is a good thing. Unlike Marty, Dave or me, you're still very early in your quit, and you're just learning to deal with situations in which you used to smoke without using nicotine. It is likely that the weekend will present some challenges. You should spend significant time preparing for these challenges by understanding how to look at actively-using addicts, coming up with a plan to cope, and firming your resolve by revisiting your reasons for quitting. It is also vitally important that you remember that you will not relapse unless you take a puff. Sounds simple, but that's what it boils down to. You have it in your power to make the decision that is in your best interests when you're faced with it.
Here is some further reading that should be useful to you:
The Law of Addiction
I am an addict! Hooray!
One puff files
"Maybe I am different"
Being tempted watching others smoke
How do you handle being with smokers?
Another slant on how to watch people smoke

ImageBob (an addict who's been free for 2 years)
Last edited by OBob Gold on 05 Nov 2009, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

twink1291

13 Jan 2004, 17:21 #39

Bob, I've read your reply several times and I think I am beginning to understand. You got exactly to the heart of my question. Thanks so much.

HK.

IrishLotus GOLD

18 Mar 2004, 23:26 #40

Thanks for poppin this one up Parker! As it turns out, I am almost *twice* the quitter I was when I first responded to this thread (nearly 18 months free), and the best thing I can tell you all is that this comfort keeps getting better and better! I am beginning to truly feel in charge of ALL my actions (and Reactions for that matter), now that I am in control of my addiction to nicotine. Absolutely incredible. Thanks Marty for writin' this one in the first place...it's nice to look back and see how far we've come. Image

YQS~ImageLotus

Free and very gratefully healing for 1 Year, 5 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 20 hours, 21 minutes and 51 seconds (540 days). I have saved $4,056.35 by not smoking 16,225 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 8 hours and 5 minutes of my life.
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happpens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes."
- Charles Swindoll
Last edited by IrishLotus GOLD on 05 Nov 2009, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.