I have read this post before, but today, for some reason, it really is starting to feel "real". So real
in fact, that I felt inspired this morning to go back to my very first post (The Blossoming Lotus) and look over the reasons I had for quitting to see if I could gauge my accomplishments thus far. The list reads as follows (concrete "accomplishments" are posted in red; the "result" of being over nine months nictoine free) :
20 Reasons Why I Chose to Live a Smoke Free Life 1. To fix that hole that has developed in the back of my throat that allows thick, goopy, nasty mucus to drip down my esophagus and make me cough (and cough and cough and COUGH!) and gag whenever I brush my teeth I stopped gagging after about two weeks smoke free and I hardly ever cough anymore...in fact, I haven't even had a cold since I quit!
2. To preserve my beautiful singing voice I am absolutely amazed at the things I can do with my vocal chords now. I always knew that I had a good ear for pitch, but ever since I began smoking, I started to "accept" the fact that I, for some reason (DUH!), just wasn't "talented" enough to really blow people away with my voice...well guess what?!?!? I have not only expanded my range tremendously but I have greatly increased my breath control and thus have been able to really "control" my voice for the first time in my life. I am absolutley exhilirated and I can't wait to audition for my next musical! We'll see about blowing people away!!!!!
3. So that I can breathe big, full, breaths Yoga has become a dream!!!
4. For sparkly white teeth and a beautiful smile Just about the time I stopped gagging when I brushed my teeth I began to notice a glowing new smile...and here I always though I was destined to have yellow teeth...BLAH!
5. For the $50.00 a week I will be able to save and use for things like a car and a computer Well, I haven't gotten the computer (yet) but I am happy to report that since I quit smoking I have been able to save enough money to purchase my first new vehicle which has allowed me to gain a whole lot of independence as well as to move in with my beloved boyfriend in South Jersey where you simply can't exist without reliable transportation. I am also very pleased to report that my new car still smells as purty as the first day I bought it and that when it rains I can keep the window up and STAY DRY!!!
6. So that I can actually taste all of the things I am missing due my severely damaged taste buds Ahhh yeah, food is DELICIIOUS! I didn't even know what I was missing!
7. So that my index and middle fingers are no longer stained yellow My fingers (and face) returned to a healthly pink glow about a week or so after I quit.
8. Mmmmmmmmm……lots and lots of sweet kisses (no more ashtray mouth) Well, my boyfriend still smokes, but I am definitely more confident in the smell of my breath now that I have quit. Even if he stinks I know I am tasty!
9. To prove that I am strong enough to beat a little piece of paper filled with 4,000 chemicals Who woulda thunk it? The confidence and increased self-esteem that I have experienced as a result of reaching this goal is absolutely beyond belief. I now feel as if the impossible is possible...and that is a feeling you just can't beat!
10. To make my life longer and more satisfying I have already begun to cherish each and every day of my life. In fact, I really treasure every breath these days, and that is a blessing in and of itself.
11. For all of that extra energy that comes along with good blood circulation and oxygen in my brain Not to mention all of the extra time I have gained now that I don't have to waste it puffing away! Woo hoo!
12. So that I can start taking birth control and keep my body healthy for when I am ready to have a baby I am also very happy to report that I was able to start taking the pill and it has added a very lovely "flexibility" to my love life...nough said.
13. To stop this constantly irritating itch in my throat Gone!
14. Because each breath is precious Amen to that!
15. It's the first step in getting my act together Now this is really the reason I wanted to pull up my first post. This past week I really "hit a wall" reagrding my weight gain, and I have been making an effort to really commit to a healthier eating plan as well as a consistent exercise program, and I am proud to report...so far so good. This new "program" includes cutting out alcohol (which has been a big sticking point for me, especially since I quit smoking...it has been a bit of a crutch) and now I feel as if I am REALLY starting to get my act together. I am sure I will have a "TRIUMPHANT" report for all of you on my year anniversary in September!
16. So that I will smell as pretty as I am Just like a blossoming lotus!
17. To avoid getting premature wrinkles So far so good!
18. Because my boyfriend treats me like a goddess, and I should treat myself that way too Finally starting to feel like a goddess and that I DESERVE all the good things in life! Incredible!
19. To add YEARS to my life! Yesiree Bob!
20. BECAUSE I CAN! Well, what do you know....
Today I feel so good about myself. I am free. Thank you.
Feeling the Healing for 9 Months 1 Week 1 Day 7 Hours 3 Minutes 33 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 8438. Money saved: $2,109.71.