What did we love about smoking?

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

08 Dec 2002, 07:13 #1

Think hard. What is it that we loved about smoking? What was so wonderful that we were willing to damage or even destroy our lungs and gradually clog the arteries in our body? What was it about smoking nicotine that we liked so much that at the time we were willing to stay with it, flip a coin, and accept a 50/50 chance of departing earth 5,000 days early? Let's use this thread to share all the things that we truly thout we loved about smoking nicotine laden cigarettes?

According to Philip Michels, Ph.D., a USC School of Medicine professor who is also a cessation facilitator, it's normal for us to look to our own behavior in order to obtain clues about our attitudes and beliefs. We tend to draw conclusions about what we must like by watching what we do. Dr. Michels puts such reasoning this way:
"If I smoke, I must like to smoke. If I smoke a lot, I must like to smoke a lot. In other words, I must love to smoke because I've done it so long and I've tried to quit so many times before, but I still smoke. I really must enjoy smoking."

Be honest with yourself, is there something you felt that you truly loved about smoking? If so please share it with the group. Or, is it more likely that the vast majority of our cigarettes were smoked while on auto pilot as our subconscious worked filing ashtray after ashtray in order to keep a constantly falling blood serum nicotine level (which was reduced by about half every two hours) sufficiently elevated so that our conscious mind did not have to sense the onset of the signs and symptoms of early chemical withdrawal?

As Dr. Michels points out, after watching ourselves do something harmful to our bodies all those years it would be normal to "reason that if its bad for me and I still do it then I must really enjoy it." But in light of what we've learned about nicotine being a true chemical dependency that's frighteningly akin to all other drugs of addiction, including heroin and meth, is such thinking truthful?

Look at your list of reasons for quitting. Is love of the long, lost "you" on the list? An honest assessment of where we've been can result in far fewer romantic fixations about missing the 4,000+ chemicals, including 43 carcinogens, that arrived inside each destructive puff of smoke.

Even if it were true that the aaah feeling that we sensed within 8 to 10 seconds of that first puff -- as our nicotine tank was once again replenished - was something worthy of being called love, what comparisons did our mind make in order to label it love? Do you have any current memory of what it was like inside your mind before nicotine put you on an endless roller-coaster ride of nicotine/dopamine highs and lows ("where are my cigarettes, I need a smoke now!!!!!!!!!!")? How does the real you compare? Did we smoke for the aaah feeling or did we smoke so that we didn't have to sense what happened when we went to long without an aaah feeling?

Isn't it time to view any remaining smoking thoughts that continue to visit your mind in truthful light? Do they reflect love or are they the product of obedience to a true chemical addiction?
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long, John
Sincere thanks to Philip Michels, Ph.D., Department of Family and Preventative Medicine, USC School of Medicine, whose "Quit While You're Ahead" cessation program materials were the primary source for this post.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 16:08, edited 3 times in total.

08 Dec 2002, 07:42 #2

Hi John,

I loved not feeling withdrawal symptoms. That was the only thing I loved about smoking. And now that I don't smoke I love the same thing.

Sten
6 weeks and change

08 Dec 2002, 10:01 #3

The only thing I loved about smoking was it took away the feelings of withdrawal, which of course came from smoking in the first place.....
I am so grateful to be free of that constant need to keep the nicotine levels up. I am so glad that I can live my life without being chained to cigarettes. I can go where I want, do what I want, and nothing is pulling me outside to smoke. I can go and swim for hours, and never get the urge to smoke. I love it.
Last edited by misha (Gold ) on 15 Feb 2009, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

08 Dec 2002, 10:07 #4

For me cigarettes made me feel cool, people would look at me and say wow he looks good with that Camel hanging from his mouth. Oh yes I have to mention them in the sleeve of my t-shirt and then to the front pocket t-shirts, this made you cool also. I LIKED THAT i really did.
This was all lost to auto pilot as John put it. I smoked to smoke.

I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Weeks 1 Day 21 Hours 7 Minutes 23 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 1144. Money saved: $228.80.
Have fun it can be done.
Thank You Freedom
John

08 Dec 2002, 11:03 #5

Sorry John, I'd been looking for a chance to use this gif : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

08 Dec 2002, 12:15 #6

A vicious cycle I'm glad to be out of.
John, I know I never truly "loved" smokeing. I just smoked to relieve the "fit"
brought on by being low on nicotine in
my system. It also gave me something to
do with my hands. But now I'm wondering why I had to do anything with my hands in the first place? I'm finding it alot more difficult to answer this thread, than I would've in the first week or month of my quit. Is'nt that great?

Gena (bronze)

09 Dec 2002, 00:03 #7

Something to Do With our Hands

I'm sure many of us used to feel the same way, Gena, as smoking gave all of us something to do with our hands (I know I harbored such thinking) but your realization is right on the money - unless we turned to chewing tobacco we had absolutely no choice but to use our hands. None!

I wonder if those addicted to chewing tobacco have falsely conditioned their thinking to believe that one of the primary reasons that they chew is so that they'll have something to do with their lips, gums, cheek and/or tongue.

A big part of the psychological adjustment process is in transforming our thinking by objectively analyzing our prior behavior in light of new understanding.

Joel teaches us that if we treat smoking as we would any other true chemical addiction, knowing that a sip, fix or hit will result in relapse, then we lay honest ground rules for what it takes to gain and retain control of our addiction. Understanding that we were each chemically addicted to one of earth's most captivating substances is a critical first step. Taking the time to apply the full significance of our addiction realization to the beliefs and conclusions we developed regarding the countless memories we created and stored during years of nicotine dependency can be of assistance in helping us move on to a life with fewer or even no mixed feelings or mental conflicts.

John felt that smoking made him look cool and when I started smoking so did I. Although tobacco companies continue to market nicotine as "an adult choice activity," the image of smoking being "cool" is likely to continue to diminish even in eyes of youth peers if they receive objective facts regarding nicotine's power to captivate, control and destroy. With new studies like the HONC Mass. review, the message of quick and permanent chemical addiction is just now beginning to filter out and as it does I hope that being addicted will not be high on the list of "cool" things to do this week. I like to think that knowing the difference between a habit and true chemical addiction would have made me stop and pause. I sometimes wonder.

Sten, I think one of the greatest things about a solid quit is the warmth that flows from the thought of never having to quit again : )

John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

07 Feb 2003, 09:54 #8

I would tell people that I liked smoking but I realised that I only said that to convince myself so I would keep doing it. It was only the fix I liked/had to have. One thing that I have noticed is I feel like I have had to learn all over again to have a conversation with someone without my 'crutch' Its true.. For the past week, I haven't been game enough to talk to anyone out side at the place I used to smoke, the verandah. I plant my feet in the kitchen when someone comes over, and talk to them there.I can't believe how much the addiction controlled me. So today I realise there was nothing I liked about smoking.

07 Feb 2003, 10:55 #9

I realized several years into my addiction that I was literally smoking to ward off withdrawals...by then I was way hooked. Twelve years of feeding my addiction knowing if I didn't stop it would eventually kill me- Found Freedom, mustered up every bit of courage I could find, looked in the mirror, said "good-bye junkie" and that was it.....there was nothing good about smoking-let alone anything to love. It was an awful, life sucking, emotion sucking worthless waste of body and soul. I don't miss it at all...craves? I am still healing yes....I will NEVER smoke again- what a waste...
Valerie
1 Month, 5 Days a bunch of hours- Smoking is AWFUL! FREEDOM is FAN-TAB-U-LOUS!

07 Feb 2003, 12:10 #10

I really like this topic. I'm not sure if I ever liked smoking. I know I did it an awful lot. I know I relied on it in every situation. I thought I liked the way it relieved my awkward situations, the way it took away my boredom, the way it helped me unwind or wake up, the way it seemed to enhance my drink and add to the experience. The truth is that I didn't need this drug to help me. I remember thinking all through my addiction that as long as I have cigarettes everything is fine. It is sad but true. I thought of them as my badge of courage or something. My friend. My addiction was killing me and I knew it. My body was crying out to me and I would just say hang on and I will quit soon. This was a big rollercoaster. No enjoyment anymore. My smoking took control of me. I hope I don't sound to strange but the point is I realize that all these new experiences without tobacco are and will be so much better. For the sheer fact that I will be TRULY IN THE MOMENT. No more escapes. I used to like to escape. I am more brave today. Thank you John for this. Lena 2 months 3days without a puff!!

07 Feb 2003, 12:11 #11

Did Ya Love the Smell & Taste?
If so, you were supposed to!

But don't ya miss the wonderful smells and flavorful tastes that tobacco engineers were able to create with sugars and many of the below 599 flavor and smell additives? Why do you think there are so many different brands? Yes, nicotine comes in hundreds of flavors and they spent hundreds of millions trying to find the your favorite combinations. Take your pick!
599 Ingredients That Have Been Found in Cigarettes
Acetanisole, Acetic Acid, Acetoin, Acetophenone, 6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane, 2-Acetyl-3- Ethylpyrazine, 2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran, Acetylpyrazine, 2-Acetylpyridine, 3-Acetylpyridine, 2-Acetylthiazole, Aconitic Acid, dl-Alanine, Alfalfa Extract, Allspice Extract, Oleoresin, And Oil, Allyl Hexanoate, Allyl Ionone, Almond Bitter Oil, Ambergris Tincture, Ammonia, Ammonium Bicarbonate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic, Ammonium Sulfide, Amyl Alcohol, Amyl Butyrate, Amyl Formate, Amyl Octanoate, alpha-Amylcinnamaldehyde, Amyris Oil, trans-Anethole, Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil, Anise, Anise Star, Extract and Oils, Anisyl Acetate, Anisyl Alcohol, Anisyl Formate, Anisyl Phenylacetate, Apple Juice Concentrate, Extract, and Skins, Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate, 1-Arginine, Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil, Ascorbic Acid, 1-Asparagine Monohydrate, 1-Aspartic Acid, Balsam Peru and Oil, Basil Oil, Bay Leaf, Oil and Sweet Oil, Beeswax White, Beet Juice Concentrate, Benzaldehyde,Benzaldehyde Glyceryl Acetal, Benzoic Acid, Benzoin, Benzoin Resin, Benzophenone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Butyrate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Propionate, Benzyl Salicylate, Bergamot Oil, Bisabolene, Black Currant Buds Absolute, Borneol, Bornyl Acetate, Buchu Leaf Oil, 1,3-Butanediol, 2,3-Butanedione, 1-Butanol, 2-Butanone, 4(2-Butenylidene)-3,5,5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One, Butter, Butter Esters, and Butter Oil, Butyl Acetate, Butyl Butyrate, Butyl Butyryl Lactate, Butyl Isovalerate, Butyl Phenylacetate, Butyl Undecylenate, 3-Butylidenephthalide, Butyric Acid, Cadinene, Caffeine, Calcium Carbonate, Camphene, Cananga Oil, Capsicum Oleoresin, Caramel Color, Caraway Oil, Carbon Dioxide, Cardamom Oleoresin, Extract, Seed Oil, and Powder, Carob Bean and Extract, beta-Carotene, Carrot Oil, Carvacrol, 4-Carvomenthenol, 1-Carvone, beta-Caryophyllene, beta-Caryophyllene Oxide, Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract, Cassia Bark Oil, Cassie Absolute and Oil, Castoreum Extract,Tincture and Absolute,Cedar Leaf Oil, Cedarwood Oil Terpenes and Virginiana, Cedrol, Celery Seed Extract, Solid, Oil, And Oleoresin, Cellulose Fiber, Chamomile Flower Oil And Extract, Chicory Extract, Chocolate, Cinnamaldehyde, Cinnamic Acid, Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Bark Oil, and Extract, Cinnamyl Acetate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Cinnamyl Cinnamate, Cinnamyl Isovalerate, Cinnamyl Propionate, Citral, Citric Acid, Citronella Oil, dl-Citronellol, Citronellyl Butyrate, Citronellyl Isobutyrate, Civet Absolute, Clary Oil, Clover Tops, Red Solid Extract, Cocoa, Cocoa Shells, Extract, Distillate And Powder, Coconut Oil, Coffee, Cognac White and Green Oil, Copaiba Oil, Coriander Extract and Oil, Corn Oil, Corn Silk, Costus Root Oil, Cubeb Oil, Cuminaldehyde, para-Cymene, 1-Cysteine, Dandelion Root Solid Extract, Davana Oil, 2-trans, 4-trans-Decadienal, delta-Decalactone, gamma-Decalactone, Decanal, Decanoic Acid, 1-Decanol, 2-Decenal, Dehydromenthofurolactone, Diethyl Malonate, Diethyl Sebacate, 2,3-Diethylpyrazine,Dihydro Anethole, 5,7-Dihydro-2-Methylthieno(3,4-D) Pyrimidine, Dill Seed Oil and Extract, meta-Dimethoxybenzene, para-Dimethoxybenzene, 2,6-Dimethoxyphenol, Dimethyl Succinate, 3,4-Dimethyl-1,2-Cyclopentanedione, 3,5- Dimethyl-1,2-Cyclopentanedione, 3,7-Dimethyl-1,3,6-Octatriene, 4,5-Dimethyl-3-Hydroxy-2,5-Dihydrofuran-2-One, 6,10-Dimethyl-5,9-Undecadien-2-One, 3,7-Dimethyl-6-Octenoic Acid, 2,4-Dimethylacetophenone, alpha,para-Dimethylbenzyl Alcohol, alpha,alpha-Dimethylphenethyl Acetate, alpha,alpha Dimethylphenethyl Butyrate, 2,3-Dimethylpyrazine,2,5-Dimethylpyrazine, 2,6-Dimethylpyrazine, Dimethyltetrahydrobenzofuranone, delta-Dodecalactone, gamma-Dodecalactone, para-Ethoxybenzaldehyde, Ethyl 10-Undecenoate, Ethyl 2-Methylbutyrate, Ethyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetoacetate, Ethyl Alcohol, Ethyl Benzoate, Ethyl Butyrate, Ethyl Cinnamate, Ethyl Decanoate, Ethyl Fenchol, Ethyl Furoate, Ethyl Heptanoate, Ethyl Hexanoate, Ethyl Isovalerate, Ethyl Lactate, Ethyl Laurate, Ethyl Levulinate, Ethyl Maltol,Ethyl Methyl Phenylglycidate, Ethyl Myristate, Ethyl Nonanoate, Ethyl Octadecanoate, Ethyl Octanoate, Ethyl Oleate, Ethyl Palmitate, Ethyl Phenylacetate, Ethyl Propionate, Ethyl Salicylate, Ethyl trans-2-Butenoate, Ethyl Valerate, Ethyl Vanillin, 2-Ethyl (or Methyl)-(3,5 and 6)-Methoxypyrazine, 2-Ethyl-1-Hexanol, 3-Ethyl -2 -Hydroxy-2-Cyclopenten-1-One, 2-Ethyl-3, (5 or 6)-Dimethylpyrazine, 5-Ethyl-3-Hydroxy-4-Methyl-2(5H)-Furanone, 2-Ethyl-3-Methylpyrazine, 4-Ethylbenzaldehyde, 4-Ethylguaiacol, para-Ethylphenol, 3-Ethylpyridine, Eucalyptol, Farnesol, D-Fenchone, Fennel Sweet Oil, Fenugreek, Extract, Resin, and Absolute, Fig Juice Concentrate, Food Starch Modified, Furfuryl Mercaptan, 4-(2-Furyl)-3-Buten-2-One, Galbanum Oil, Genet Absolute, Gentian Root Extract, Geraniol, Geranium Rose Oil, Geranyl Acetate, Geranyl Butyrate, Geranyl Formate, Geranyl Isovalerate, Geranyl Phenylacetate, Ginger Oil and Oleoresin, 1-Glutamic Acid, 1-Glutamine, Glycerol, Glycyrrhizin Ammoniated,Grape Juice Concentrate,Guaiac Wood Oil, Guaiacol, Guar Gum, 2,4-Heptadienal, gamma-Heptalactone, Heptanoic Acid, 2-Heptanone, 3-Hepten-2-One, 2-Hepten-4-One, 4-Heptenal, trans -2-Heptenal, Heptyl Acetate, omega-6-Hexadecenlactone, gamma-Hexalactone, Hexanal, Hexanoic Acid, 2-Hexen-1-Ol, 3-Hexen-1-Ol, cis-3-Hexen-1-Yl Acetate, 2-Hexenal, 3-Hexenoic Acid, trans-2-Hexenoic Acid, cis-3-Hexenyl Formate, Hexyl 2-Methylbutyrate, Hexyl Acetate, Hexyl Alcohol, Hexyl Phenylacetate, 1-Histidine, Honey, Hops Oil, Hydrolyzed Milk Solids, Hydrolyzed Plant Proteins, 5-Hydroxy-2,4-Decadienoic Acid delta- Lactone, 4-Hydroxy-2,5-Dimethyl-3(2H)-Furanone, 2-Hydroxy-3,5,5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One, 4-Hydroxy -3-Pentenoic Acid Lactone, 2-Hydroxy-4-Methylbenzaldehyde, 4-Hydroxybutanoic Acid Lactone, Hydroxycitronellal, 6-Hydroxydihydrotheaspirane, 4-(para-Hydroxyphenyl)-2-Butanone, Hyssop Oil, Immortelle Absolute and Extract, alpha-Ionone, beta-Ionone, alpha-Irone, Isoamyl Acetate, Isoamyl Benzoate, Isoamyl Butyrate, Isoamyl Cinnamate,Isoamyl Formate, Isoamyl Hexanoate, Isoamyl Isovalerate, Isoamyl Octanoate, Isoamyl Phenylacetate, Isobornyl Acetate, Isobutyl Acetate, Isobutyl Alcohol, Isobutyl Cinnamate, Isobutyl Phenylacetate, Isobutyl Salicylate, 2-Isobutyl-3-Methoxypyrazine, alpha-Isobutylphenethyl Alcohol, Isobutyraldehyde, Isobutyric Acid, d,l-Isoleucine, alpha-Isomethylionone, 2-Isopropylphenol, Isovaleric Acid, Jasmine Absolute, Concrete and Oil, Kola Nut Extract, Labdanum Absolute and Oleoresin, Lactic Acid, Lauric Acid, Lauric Aldehyde, Lavandin Oil, Lavender Oil, Lemon Oil and Extract, Lemongrass Oil, 1-Leucine, Levulinic Acid, Licorice Root, Fluid, Extract and Powder, Lime Oil , Linalool, Linalool Oxide, Linalyl Acetate, Linden Flowers, Lovage Oil And Extract, 1-Lysine, Mace Powder, Extract and Oil , Magnesium Carbonate, Malic Acid, Malt and Malt Extract, Maltodextrin, Maltol, Maltyl Isobutyrate, Mandarin Oil, Maple Syrup and Concentrate, Mate Leaf, Absolute and Oil, para-Mentha-8-Thiol-3-One, Menthol, Menthone,Menthyl Acetate, dl-Methionine, Methoprene, 2-Methoxy-4-Methylphenol, 2-Methoxy-4-Vinylphenol, para-Methoxybenzaldehyde, 1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-1-Penten-3-One, 4-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Butanone, 1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Propanone, Methoxypyrazine, Methyl 2-Furoate, Methyl 2-Octynoate, Methyl 2-Pyrrolyl Ketone, Methyl Anisate, Methyl Anthranilate, Methyl Benzoate, Methyl Cinnamate, Methyl Dihydrojasmonate, Methyl Ester of Rosin, Partially Hydrogenated, Methyl Isovalerate, Methyl Linoleate (48%), Methyl Linolenate (52%) Mixture, Methyl Naphthyl Ketone, Methyl Nicotinate, Methyl Phenylacetate, Methyl Salicylate, Methyl Sulfide, 3-Methyl-1-Cyclopentadecanone, 4-Methyl-1-Phenyl-2-Pentanone, 5-Methyl-2-Phenyl-2-Hexenal, 5-Methyl-2-Thiophenecarboxaldehyde, 6-Methyl-3,-5-Heptadien-2-One, 2-Methyl-3-(para-Isopropylphenyl) Propionaldehyde, 5-Methyl-3-Hexen-2-One, 1-Methyl-3Methoxy-4-Isopropylbenzene, 4-Methyl-3-Pentene-2-One, 2-Methyl-4-Phenylbutyraldehyde, 6-Methyl-5-Hepten-2-One,4-Methyl-5-Thiazoleethanol,4-Methyl-5-Vinylthiazole, Methyl-alpha-Ionone, Methyl-trans-2-Butenoic Acid, 4-Methylacetophenone, para-Methylanisole, alpha-Methylbenzyl Acetate, alpha-Methylbenzyl Alcohol, 2-Methylbutyraldehyde, 3-Methylbutyraldehyde, 2-Methylbutyric Acid, alpha-Methylcinnamaldehyde, Methylcyclopentenolone, 2-Methylheptanoic Acid, 2-Methylhexanoic Acid, 3-Methylpentanoic Acid, 4-Methylpentanoic Acid, 2-Methylpyrazine, 5-Methylquinoxaline, 2-Methyltetrahydrofuran-3-One, (Methylthio)Methylpyrazine (Mixture Of Isomers), 3-Methylthiopropionaldehyde, Methyl 3-Methylthiopropionate, 2-Methylvaleric Acid, Mimosa Absolute and Extract, Molasses Extract and Tincture, Mountain Maple Solid Extract, Mullein Flowers, Myristaldehyde, Myristic Acid, Myrrh Oil, beta-Napthyl Ethyl Ether, Nerol, Neroli Bigarde Oil, Nerolidol, Nona-2-trans,6-cis-Dienal, 2,6-Nonadien-1-Ol, gamma-Nonalactone, Nonanal, Nonanoic Acid, Nonanone, trans-2-Nonen-1-Ol, 2-Nonenal, Nonyl Acetate, Nutmeg Powder and Oil, Oak Chips Extract and Oil,Oak Moss Absolute, 9,12-Octadecadienoic Acid (48%) And 9,12,15-Octadecatrienoic Acid (52%), delta-Octalactone, gamma-Octalactone, Octanal, Octanoic Acid, 1-Octanol, 2-Octanone, 3-Octen-2-One, 1-Octen-3-Ol, 1-Octen-3-Yl Acetate, 2-Octenal, Octyl Isobutyrate, Oleic Acid , Olibanum Oil, Opoponax Oil And Gum, Orange Blossoms Water, Absolute, and Leaf Absolute, Orange Oil and Extract, Origanum Oil, Orris Concrete Oil and Root Extract, Palmarosa Oil, Palmitic Acid, Parsley Seed Oil, Patchouli Oil, omega-Pentadecalactone, 2,3-Pentanedione, 2-Pentanone, 4-Pentenoic Acid, 2-Pentylpyridine, Pepper Oil, Black And White, Peppermint Oil, Peruvian (Bois De Rose) Oil, Petitgrain Absolute, Mandarin Oil and Terpeneless Oil, alpha-Phellandrene, 2-Phenenthyl Acetate, Phenenthyl Alcohol, Phenethyl Butyrate, Phenethyl Cinnamate, Phenethyl Isobutyrate, Phenethyl Isovalerate, Phenethyl Phenylacetate, Phenethyl Salicylate, 1-Phenyl-1-Propanol, 3-Phenyl-1-Propanol, 2-Phenyl-2-Butenal, 4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-Ol,4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-One, Phenylacetaldehyde, Phenylacetic Acid, 1-Phenylalanine, 3-Phenylpropionaldehyde, 3-Phenylpropionic Acid, 3-Phenylpropyl Acetate, 3-Phenylpropyl Cinnamate, 2-(3-Phenylpropyl)Tetrahydrofuran, Phosphoric Acid, Pimenta Leaf Oil, Pine Needle Oil, Pine Oil, Scotch, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, alpha-Pinene, beta-Pinene, D-Piperitone, Piperonal, Pipsissewa Leaf Extract, Plum Juice, Potassium Sorbate, 1-Proline, Propenylguaethol, Propionic Acid, Propyl Acetate, Propyl para-Hydroxybenzoate, Propylene Glycol, 3-Propylidenephthalide, Prune Juice and Concentrate, Pyridine, Pyroligneous Acid And Extract, Pyrrole, Pyruvic Acid, Raisin Juice Concentrate, Rhodinol, Rose Absolute and Oil, Rosemary Oil, Rum, Rum Ether, Rye Extract, Sage, Sage Oil, and Sage Oleoresin, Salicylaldehyde, Sandalwood Oil, Yellow, Sclareolide, Skatole, Smoke Flavor, Snakeroot Oil, Sodium Acetate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hydroxide,Solanone, Spearmint Oil, Styrax Extract, Gum and Oil, Sucrose Octaacetate, Sugar Alcohols, Sugars, Tagetes Oil, Tannic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Tea Leaf and Absolute, alpha-Terpineol, Terpinolene, Terpinyl Acetate, 5,6,7,8-Tetrahydroquinoxaline, 1,5,5,9-Tetramethyl-13-Oxatricyclo(8.3.0.0(4,9))Tridecane, 2,3,4,5, and 3,4,5,6-Tetramethylethyl-Cyclohexanone, 2,3,5,6-Tetramethylpyrazine, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Thiazole, 1-Threonine, Thyme Oil, White and Red, Thymol, Tobacco Extracts, Tochopherols (mixed), Tolu Balsam Gum and Extract, Tolualdehydes, para-Tolyl 3-Methylbutyrate, para-Tolyl Acetaldehyde, para-Tolyl Acetate, para-Tolyl Isobutyrate, para-Tolyl Phenylacetate, Triacetin, 2-Tridecanone, 2-Tridecenal, Triethyl Citrate, 3,5,5-Trimethyl -1-Hexanol, para,alpha,alpha-Trimethylbenzyl Alcohol, 4-(2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohex-1-Enyl)But-2-En-4-One, 2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohex-2-Ene-1,4-Dione, 2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohexa-1,3-Dienyl Methan, 4-(2,6,6-Trimethylcyclohexa-1,3-Dienyl)But-2-En-4-One,2,2,6-Trimethylcyclohexanone, 2,3,5-Trimethylpyrazine, 1-Tyrosine, delta-Undercalactone, gamma-Undecalactone, Undecanal, 2-Undecanone, 10-Undecenal, Urea, Valencene, Valeraldehyde, Valerian Root Extract, Oil and Powder, Valeric Acid, gamma-Valerolactone, Valine, Vanilla Extract And Oleoresin, Vanillin, Veratraldehyde, Vetiver Oil, Vinegar, Violet Leaf Absolute, Walnut Hull Extract, Water, Wheat Extract And Flour, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Wine and Wine Sherry, Xanthan Gum, 3,4-Xylenol, Yeast

07 Feb 2003, 12:30 #12

I loved getting my daily dose of nicotine 20 or more times a day.Now I love not needing that daily dose.

Winnie

07 Feb 2003, 19:49 #13

I don't think there's anything I loved about smoking. It was killing me, it was expensive, it smelled nasty, and I wasn't getting those "ahhhh" feelings very often. I was a heavy smoker so usually the only sensation I got was a headache. No matter how many showers I took I was a walking ashtray. No matter how many times I cleaned my apartment and my car they were ashtrays. No matter how many times I washed my clothes they smelled like ashtrays. Hmmm nope, I didn't love that, I'm positive.

Jill
4 Months 5 Days

07 Feb 2003, 23:27 #14

From the smoking side of the fence: I loved smoking. "Love" in the infatuation sense, that is...As with teenagers and puppy love that doesn't last 7 minutes (length of time it takes to smoke a gag-a-rette?), and is totally illusory and isn't really love at ALL, but you are SURE it is and you could never love another. LOL
From the ex-smoking side: I love NOT-Smoking. Love in this case being TRUE love..Soul Mate love. Love that meshes on all levels....mental, emotional, and spiritual. Love that doesn't waver and never dies.
I choose door number 2.

This body has been nicotine-free For 2 Weeks 5 Days 7 Hours 41 Minutes 53 Seconds.
Last edited by L z l on 15 Feb 2009, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

07 Apr 2003, 10:50 #15

Most of the stuff I used to love about smoking has been revealed to me by now as illusory. Most of it was also by-association-stuff, also--I thought I loved coffee with a cigarette but now I love coffee plain just as much. I thought I loved cigarettes as a way of calming me down but now I know how the system worked so I don't really care about that aspect of it.

Even the harder stuff to let go of has proved doable. I don't need a cigarette to walk to class--I thought I loved having one because it made the walk more bearable, but actually it didn't really matter without the staving-off-chemical dependancy part. I thought I loved having one with a drink but a drink goes down fine without a cigarette.

There is only one thing I still haven't found a solution for, but I know one will come with time as every time I panic about this sort of thing I think to myself, poor never-smokers must lead such miserable lives! and then laugh at how silly loving cigarettes is.

Maybe someone can help me with these:

At a party I used to love making eye-contact with a guy and then going outside to smoke so that he would follow me and we could be alone together, allegedly to have a cigarette but really to talk. Smoking used to be a nice excuse for that. Asking for a light used to be one of my favorite, favorite, favorite ways to make contact with cute guys, too. My friend said that you could just ask for a light and then blush and say that you don't smoke but just wanted to talk. I'm not sure I'm cool enough for that, though.

This thread makes me smile.
Alex
1 month 3 weeks 3 days

07 Apr 2003, 12:39 #16

phew. what an intense thread. ah, john, if you read this, i want to thank you ( i think) for the ghastly graphics - now theres the real glamour of smoking for you. worthy of h.p. lovecraft. and the intense typing for ingredients. :)

what did i love? i identify with lena. my cigarettes were my escape... from feeling, from speaking, from socializing, from breathing. they were my ultimate excuse , they gave me a break from living - because if smoking isn't slow suicide i don't know what is.
so whats to love about any of that?
Well! smoking has given me the opportunity to Quit smoking!!!
and i just have this extraordinary feeling
there is great joy in this
joy in opening my arms to life fully the first time
nadette
1 month, a couple of days

07 Apr 2003, 17:38 #17

When you are young (13,14 years old etc..) you look at the grownups,your parents,their friends and the society in general.When I started this darn trip of smoking in the 60',I was 14,I understood nothing and there was NO INFORMATION that I can recall about the damage of smoking....niente( nothing)....actually in Rome,where I was, IT WAS VERY KOOL to SMOKE...so I started with NO FILTER long cigarettes,an italian brand called "STOP"....( now I can say that they named so because THEY STOP YOU gradually and for ever from real life...)I almost vomited and coughed to death,but I HAD TO BE KOOL,just like my father( who was a chain smoker) and Rossano Brazzi (the "Rudolph Valentino" of the time),I had to be KOOL so I could PICK UP WOMEN ,because that IS the number ONE sport of the adolescent italian male ( NOT SOCCER as many would think..ah ah).... in fact in that period EVERYONE WAS A SMOKER in ROME,and also John Wayne on the screens of a western movie,I mean IF JOHN WAYNE smokes..well ..IT MUST BE OK!!!!well,poor John later on died of cancer....but ONCE I WAS HOOKED well,I HATED TO SMOKE,but like all SINNERS I was telling LIES,the biggest of all:" I SMOKE because I like it,I am FREE,blah..blah..."it is cool,it is modern..etc..etc..I mean,I am ashamed of myself ,but I LIED BIG TIME to JUSTIFY my addiction...and worst of all,I lied to myself...I came to believe it,I really convinced myself that I loved smoking and that I would smoke for ever!!!! Too bad that SMOKE RELATED CANCER took my AUNTIE ,then MY COUSIN,THEN MY FATHER, and an heart attack killed my grand father when he was 55...( he was a chain smoker,angina killed him)At the age of 17 I even played with mariuana and other drugs,I left them 4 ever at 20 something..but CIGARETTES ,NO THEY WERE with ME ALWAYS,till 10 days ago....I am 54 now,do u get it? I mean,NICOTINE IS A MEAN ADDICTION,physical,physiological,psycological,entrenched in our brain,so come on,the moment we BREAK FREE from smoking,we should give ourself a medal,and a GOLD one,as long we stay free by NOT TAKING ANOTHER PUFF as I have learned here in Freedom with you dear friends. But PLEASE DON'T UNDERSTIMATE THE POWER of ADDICTION...NEVER...I can say this because the ONLY REASON why I DON'T SMOKE DOPE of any sort since I was 20 it is BECAUSE I DIDN'T TOUCH IT ,NOR SMOKED IT EVER AGAIN SINCE THEN.I CHOOSE NOT TO.SO with NICOTINE,WE MUST CHOOSE DAYLY NOT TO PUFF IT NOR PUT IN OUR BODY in ANY OTHER FORM!!!! IT IS IMPERATIVE TO BE ALERT,ON GUARD,and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF....Ciao everybody,keep free and thank you all for the great support I receive here in Freedom. Roberto
Last edited by eagle747au on 15 Feb 2009, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

07 Apr 2003, 19:31 #18

I loved that first cigarette in the morning! (Didn't matter if I had woke up in the middle of the night and a had a fix or two either!) That first one! Man what a hit! I had a nice little ritual for it too. My feet would hit the floor, I'd head for the coffee, straight to the porch and light up! Ahhhh! Talk about relaxation! Better than a vacation! Nobody better not dare tell me I didn't love to smoke! Felt so good I'd been doing it since I was 9!

Like everyone here at Freedom I too learned that it was the fix that I loved. I just wanted to tell everyone here how proud I am of them for being brave enough to face their addiction head on. The struggle doesn't last forever. Each smoke free day that passes brings you closer to true Freedom. And that day is so much closer than you think! I haven't had a smoke for a long time now. Going back to slavery for one puff is no longer an option!

Thanks for the great thread John

Big hugs, Joy

~Two years, ten months, three days, 9 hours, 31 minutes and 29 seconds. 20747 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,319.80. Life saved: 10 weeks, 2 days, 55 minutes~

07 Apr 2003, 21:39 #19

Hey Alex,

You wrote:
"Maybe someone can help me with these:

At a party I used to love making eye-contact with a guy and then going outside to smoke so that he would follow me and we could be alone together, allegedly to have a cigarette but really to talk. Smoking used to be a nice excuse for that ..."

My recommendation? Just go up to the guy and talk! Why throw anything in the middle? You were using cigarettes as a way to save face in case he didn't follow. Well, cut to the chase and go find out if he's interested instead of wasting time waiting to see if he's game. If he's not interested, you've got more time and less ambiguity.

Life is too short to keep throwing obstacles in front of ourselves! When you get rid of cigarettes, don't fill that hole with another challenge!

Melissa
22 months

02 May 2003, 23:30 #21

"It's not a secret, I always said I enjoyed the act of smoking, however I have always hated the effects of smoking. Now I realize, I probably never even enjoyed smoking, just the effects of nicotine. I am determined to never take another puff." Fiestavee 05/02/03

Faulty Conditioning:
  1. I do not do things that I do not like to do
  2. I smoke lots and lots and lots of cigarettes
  3. Thus, I must really really enjoy smoking
Honest Conditioning:
  1. I do not do things that I do not like to do
  2. I smoke lots and lots and lots of cigarettes
  3. But my brain reward pathways were chemically married to nicotine (and its two hour chemical half-life) and the only alterative I saw prior to each mandatory feeding time was chemical withdawal and recovery time. At the time smoking nicotine seemed like the quicker solution but in truth it wasn't the solution, it was the entire problem!

22 Jul 2003, 09:53 #22

"2 weeks and I'm still wanting A cigarette"
Most of us did but we now know that it's nearly every
addict's dream to want to control the uncontrollable.
There's no such thing as A cigarette.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

31 Jul 2003, 00:06 #23

Love? What did "love" give us?
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

31 Jul 2003, 20:59 #24

I didn't love anything about smoking. The last few years I think I hated every cigarette I smoked. I wanted to quit but didn't know how. I prayed every night for God to take away my craving for cigarettes. I woke up every morning and went right for my cigarettes and smoked 2 or 3. It was only after I found Freedom that I got up the gumption to quit. I learned as much as I could before I quit then the day came and I quit. Education is the key. Learning from others what tried and true methods got them through the rough spots then applying them to myself. See others and how comfortable they are with their quit now. No I didn't love smoking. Didn't want to do it any more. I just had to find the right way for me to quit and I found it here.

11 Aug 2003, 11:19 #25

Years of addiction denial forced each of us to justify our inability to break nicotine's grip upon our lives. Recovery is a process where a chemical bond is broken, the subconscious mind's expectations for receiving nicotine are re-conditioned and the conscious thinking mind begins telling the truth. What lies did you adopt in order to justify continuing years and yeares of your own self-destruction? How many are you still clinging to and why? Isn't it time to let go and move on?