John (Gold)
John (Gold)

December 18th, 2006, 2:35 am #51

Nicotine Dependency -
a disease of learning and memory?
Sharon, that's nicotine's only claim to fame, that stolen "aaah" sensation. But for each stolen "aaah" there's either a corresponding low or need to feed (an urge or crave), or there would have been a low if we hadn't engaged in early dependency compliance (almost as if on auto pilot).

Many if not most actively feeding drug addicts -- regardless of chemical -- feel convinced that their "aaah" is worth all the bad that comes with it. Forget for the moment the super toxin nicotine's assault and ravage of the human body, including gradual significant destruction of the brain's gray matter (see Nicotine and Brain Damage ). Instead try to place value upon non-injury related costs.

Is the pack-a-day smoker who spends $3.50 a pack saying that their stolen "aaah" feelings are worth the $1,275 a year, plus transportation costs to get to their supplier, plus the fifteen 40-hour work weeks (608 hours) devoted to servicing their addiction (assuming 5 minutes per smoke). Wouldn't an honest mind also add the value of the constant interruption of life itself, with loss of some of its most special moments, as servicing our addiction took priority over companionship, eating, thirst, accomplishment and, yes, even brief breaks from true romance.

Although researchers tell us that our brains likely have varying degrees of diminished gray matter as compared to those who never became dependent upon nicotine, the irony of it all is that nicotine addiction isn't initially associated with memory loss or an inability to learn but with remembering too well and an inability to forget.

The brain's dopamine pathways are supposed to act as a wonderful built in teacher with pre-programmed values that place priority on survival acts. The pathways not only create powerful aaah sensations but also record a super high definition pre-frontal cortex memory that ties each "aaah" to the specific event stimulating its production. Each time our senses remind our brain of previously recorded associations it can instantly trigger dopamine flow as we anticipate the arrival of even more dopamine that will come when the expectation is actually fulfilled.

Researchers have found that when deprived of the anticipated result (in the nicotine addict's case, not receiving a new supply of nicotine) the normal baseline level of dopamine output, which flows to some degree in all of us, is actually diminished or shut off. They believe that this can foster a sense of anxiety or even depression and may form the basis for crave episodes.

Why do so many of our brother and sister nicotine addicts sacrifice life itself for a chemical? I submit that it isn't because of the "aaah" itself but that the circuits producing the "aaah" have been hijacked. It is extremely challenging to make sound value decisions when the very goal pathways designed to teach importance and establish priorities have been taken hostage by an external chemical.

It's easy for the drug addict who is temporarily satisfied to briefly find logic and reason about the need to quit. But experience a shut down of all dopamine output while saying no to a powerful memory that associates getting more nicotine with another powerful "aaah" and see what happens.

We give thanks that recovery anxieties associated with encountering a triggering association don't last longer than 3 minutes before normal natural dopamine flow is restored. We give thanks that most of these powerful "pay attention" memories and the particular place, person, time, activity, sound, smell, or emotion association between them and smoking are broken with a single encounter during which the mind does not receive the expected result. We give thanks that we now realize that everything we feel and sense during these challenges is a sign of just how deeply nicotine had invaded our lives and a true sign of healing. We give thanks that at the end of each such encounter that we are returned yet another aspect of life.

Nicotine dependency recovery is about picking up the pieces. It's about learning and discovering that everything we did while using nicotine can be done as well or better without nicotine's influence upon us. It's about allowing the time needed to put yourself in position to realize that human relationships carry potential to be vastly more wonderful than chemical ones. This is likely the most wonderful holiday gift that you've ever given you, Sharon. Hold it close and protect it above all else. We're each with you in spirit. Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x7)

Much of the above discussion is from an article by Dr. Steven E. Hyman, M.D. entitled Addiction: A Disease of Learning and Memory, appearing in the August 205 edition of American Journal of Psychiatry at pages 1414 to 1422. This link is to a full text copy of the article: http://ajp.psychiatryonli...i/content/full/162/8/1414
Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

come clean
come clean

March 29th, 2007, 1:24 pm #52

when i read this and thought of my memories of enjoying smoking, times that pop up were times that:
  • were towards the beginning of my nicotine journey
  • were times when i didn't realize i was chemically addicted, or avoided the reality that i had an addiction
i think back to various times when i did enjoy smoking, and i know now that those memories excluded the days/months/years that i struggled to stop smoking.

did i enjoy smoking? at times, yes.

i enjoyed the socialization it gave me, the dopamine high mixed with sharing of an activity with a friend. i enjoyed the dopamine rush combined with a new activity like travelling. i enjoyed the chance to "breathe deep" and take a moment of pause.

did i enjoy smoking once i started to try to quit, no.

as much pleasure, relaxation, confidence as it gave me, it threw pain, guilt, resentment, and self hatred back at me. and the moment when the switch went on and i realized i was addicted was the moment enjoyment left.

now, looking at the whole picture, i can't qualify the start of my addiction as enjoyable, because i know where it led. an unlike other experiences of extremes (love, travel, risk taking) smoking never returns to the happy point. it always returns or increases in the ugly part of the addition.

knowing all three sides....remembering the healthy pre-nicotine me, the ups and downs of nicotine pumped me, and the me that makes the choice each day to choose freedom, i'll take the current me.

Alex

(109 days!)

Rickrob53 Gold
Rickrob53 Gold

September 15th, 2007, 1:15 am #53

"I convinced myself that I loved to smoke them"
Welcome to Freedom! Although it is natural that we tend to define what we like or love by what we find ourselves doing, such logic is often wrong when reflecting upon true chemical dependency. The self analysis often goes like this:

False Reasoning:
  • I don't do things I don't like to do.
  • I smoke lots and lots of cigarettes.
  • Thus I must really love smoking.
Honest Reasoning:
  • I don't do things I don't like to do.
  • I smoke loss and lots of cigarettes.
  • Each puff is destroying more of the 800 million air sacs I started with, further damaging the ability of my blood vessels to transport life giving oxygen, and slowly eating away more of my brain's gray matter.
  • All leading health authorities assert that smoking nicotine is highly addictive.
  • I've tried quitting and it's rather challenging.
  • I hear that nicotine physically rewires the human brain.
  • Thus, I must be a true drug addict in every sense.
Although the conscious thinking mind can obviously play a role similar to the above in helping convince us that we like or love smoking, the real reinforcer is the brain's pay-attention dopamine pathways, the mind's priorities teacher.

Nearly every illegal drug that's addictive in nature has strong ties to the brain's dopamine pathways. While the nicotine addict's dopamine high is alert, the alcoholic's dopamine high is drunk, the heroin addict's is numb and the meth addict's is fast. Although the sensation accompanying the dopamine "aaah" is always an escape from brain neuro-chemical normalcy, it is not the enslaving event.

Our dopamine pathways were designed to reinforce species survival events by providing "aaah" reward sensations surrounding accomplishment (or collecting, gathering or our hoarding instincts), when anticipating eating or eating to satisfy hunger (it's why it's extremely difficult to starve ourselves to death), when drinking or thinking about drinking water when thirsty, when engaged in peer bonding, courting, reproduction or nurturing. These pathways appear to generate some of the most potent (plastic) and enduring memories the mind is capable of generating.

But the preprogrammed primitive limbic mind can easily be overridden by certain external chemicals that by chance so resemble the shape of some of our own neuro-chemicals that once inside begins stealing an unless stream of unearned dopamine. These pathways quickly bury all remaining memory of life without the external chemical, while elevating that next nicotine or other drug fix to the new #1 priority in life. Tied to the compulsive brain's urge and craving circuitry, once drug related pay attention memories begin piling up they not only compel us to believe that life without the chemical won't be as good, that it defines who we are, that it gives us our edge, the addict is actually punished with crave episodes if they attempt to stop believing the lies.

But it only gets worse. It is not normal for so much dopamine to be flowing and the brain fights back. In regard to nicotine, in some regions it actually diminishes dopamine receptor sites and in other regions it upregulates or grows millions of extra nicotinic type acetylcholine receptors. What this means is that the drug addict now needs to puff a bit harder, hold the smoke a bit longer or maybe smoke 11 cigarettes a day instead of just 10 in order to get the feel the same level of dopamine "aaah." It's called tolerance but it's really de-sensitization and leaves the drug addict's brain with a new sense of neuro-chemical normal that's actually dependent upon the planned arrival of specific and required level of the external chemical.

Now, any attempt to stop using the drug leaves the addict temporarily desensitized as they must develop a bit of patience (a not so easy task for someone who was able to satisfy low nicotine reserves within 8-10 seconds of a puff) and allow the brain to down-regulate and restore receptor counts to as nearly normal as possible, a process that for nicotine (with a two hour half-life) appears to be substantially complete within a couple of weeks (2-3).

You're coming home, and so long as you honor your current commitment to keep 100% of nicotine out of your bloodstream you cannot possibly fail. But keep in mind that you're not fighting a whole pack or even a whole cigarette but just that first powerful puff that would cause a dopamine explosion inside your brain that, even through dizzy, coughing or six shades of green, your mind's pay-attention pathways would make nearly impossible (in short term) to forget.

Still just one rule ... no nicotine today! We're with you in spirit.

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x8)

Last edited by Rickrob53 Gold on February 15th, 2009, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwannalive
iwannalive

November 3rd, 2007, 11:24 am #54

I am deciding to reply to this posting not because I believe in the "I love smoking" because I dont, but I do miss the smoking when I am bored. I guess you can say I enjoyed a smoke when I was bored. It was my way of relaxing. i wouldnt say I was in a need of a fix. I do know that I hated smoking for the most part and I know that one puff will bring me back to all the stuff I hate about smoking, coughing, health, smelling and my children smelled that. I get so upset now if someone lights up on the street that my children and I even pass.

Diane - Free and Healing for Nineteen Days, 12 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 683 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $218.77.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

January 25th, 2008, 12:52 pm #55

Over the last four days I've sat and helped and watched my best friend in this world die from smoking induced COPD and lung cancer. What an unnecessary and horrible way to die. He was 90. Could have easily made it to 100 if he had never smoked tobacco.
To honor his memory.......an excerpt that played out in reality for me this week......
from Joel's "I'm safe from smoking related problems by my genetic makeup."
- "When I was first doing smoking programs I worked with a doctor who was viewed by most of his colleagues as an anti-smoking fanatic. He was chief of thoracic surgery at a major veterans hospital in the Chicago area. He related a story to me once about a young medical intern who came across a patient who was 87 years old and in a terminal state dying from lung cancer. But this man had been a two to three pack a day smoker for over 60 years. The intern called in my doctor friend out from the hallway and told him to come see this patient. Here was a man who had smoked extremely heavily and yet was alive at the age of 87. The intern though this man served as a good case in point of how the fanatical doctor was making too big a deal of the risks of smoking.
Well my fanatical colleague walked up to the patient, who was in an oxygen mask and had a very difficult time talking. Without looking at the patients chart he introduced himself and asked the patient two simple questions in front of the excited intern. First he said, "How old was you father when he died." The patient slowly removed his mask, and in a weak and strained voice eeked out, "104 year old." The doctor could have quit there but he proceeded to ask, "How old was your mother when she died." Again, removing the mask he weakly said, "in her late nineties."

The doctor looked at the chart for a few more seconds, nodded to the man and wished him luck, turned around and smiled at the intern and left the room. Here the over enthusiastic intern thought he had a good example of the over exaggerated risks of smoking. Instead he was seeing a man, dying of lung cancer at the age of 87 who probably had a genetic predisposition to have lived longer than another decade, and would likely have been a lot healthier at the tail end of his life than this pulmonary crippled individual he was now showcasing."

So let me ask you this......in the long run.......what will you love more.......
Smoking: A Crime Punishable By Death?
OR
Your life........ free of nicotine, as it was always meant to be lived?
An extra decade to truly live has immeasureable value in my mind.
One more day would be priceless at this point.
How much is YOUR LIFE worth to you?
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on February 15th, 2009, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starbirder.ffn
starbirder.ffn

January 26th, 2008, 8:41 am #56

Over the last four days I've sat and helped and watched my best friend in this world die from smoking induced COPD and lung cancer. What an unnecessary and horrible way to die. He was 90. Could have easily made it to 100 if he had never smoked tobacco." JoeJFree

Words can not express my sadness  on hearing about the loss of your Dad, Al J. He was a loyal member always ready to educate and cheer us on helping us find our comfort. I was only one of the people who were touched by his efforts, thank you A1, God Bless you...
"Al J., a nicotine addict & an ex-smoker who last administered nicotine 2 years, 2 months, 26 days, 9 hours, 58 minutes and 22 seconds Ago (818 days). Not needed, wanted or missed 6547 deadly dose delivery devices, and retained $1,354.51. Reclaimed 22 days, 17 hours and 36 minutes of precious remaining life time - Truly a Gift without Price. 9-16-07"

Star-Free and Healing for 195 days

Last edited by starbirder.ffn on October 11th, 2010, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

January 26th, 2008, 8:56 am #57

Dear JoeJ,

I am sorry to hear the news that your dad has died. But, I am happy that he was free and not dealing with THAT. And that you were by his side and loving him. After all, love is what is taken. I am convinced of that.

Nicotine addiction maims, tortures and kills. You know that first hand.

Al was proud of himself for quitting and proud of you.

Never take another puff.

Sal
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on October 11th, 2010, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

February 2nd, 2008, 11:05 pm #58

Time vs. Honesty

There's two ways to move beyond the mountain of smoking memories and smoking rationalizations these brains collected over the years, time and honesty. Although time will slowly cause new memories to bury old, honesty brings potential to quickly recast entire classes of old memories as no longer find them worthy of being replayed over and over inside the mind. Try a few of these:

Taste: There are zero taste buds inside human lungs, none, zero. If we held the smoke in our mouth instead of sucking it deep into our lungs and then briefly holding it there so as to allow time to transfer nicotine into our bloodstream, we might have an argument that we smoke for taste. Otherwise, it's like the woman in this picture. She certainly isn't smoking for flavor or taste.

Love:
Do you have any remaining memory of your pre-addiction mind, before nicotine took control? Do you remember what it was like, the beauty of going months and years and never once having a crave or urge to smoke nicotine? If you no longer can remember your pre-addiction mind then what basis exists for making honest comparisons? None. For that's what drug addiction is all about, quickly burying all remaining memory of life without the chemical, about hostage reward pathways doing their job and convincing us that using this chemical is every bit as important as other species survival events such as eating, that it defines who you are, gives you your edge and that attempting to stop using it will be akin to starving yourself to death.

Relaxation
: Nicotine is a central nervous system stimulant that made our heart pound 20 beats per minute faster and our pupils expand, as it fooled our brain into causing our body's fight or flight pathway chemicals to flow. Getting ready to fight is about as far from relaxation as one can get.

Smell:
Tobacco companies use more than 600 additives in cigarettes and most  the natural harshness of burning tobacco more acceptable to both us and those around us. We're supposed to like the smell. But keep in my mind that flowers and perfumed women smell good too but we don't need to run up, light them on fire and then inhale them into our lungs in order to complete the experience.

Boredom
: Smoking may have been exciting when we were young but probably not anymore. If bored and smoking we were still bored. It was just that our brains were not stimulated and this lack of stimulation generated anxiety. This anxiety is designed to force humans to expend energy to find new ways to stimulate their mind and thus bring boredom's anxieties to an end. Boredom's anxieties are intended to compel us to seek stimulation, to explore, to take some degree of risk, to discover. Imagine squandering and waisting a lifetime of using this key species discovery motivator as an excuse to turn to and again be consumed by feeding a true chemical addiction.

Like:
Again, what basis for honest comparison? But is it that we liked smoking, or as Joel asks, that we didn't like what happened when we didn't smoke, the gradual onset of urges, craves and anxieties? Humans tend to define what they like by what they find themselves doing and if we smoked lots and lots of cigarettes it is normal to think that we must have really liked smoking!!! But when dealing with true chemical addictions what does "like" have to do with anything as we only have two choices, feed a growing chemical need or endure withdrawal's onset. Instead of flatly concluding that we "like" this chemical, honest analysis should include both the fact that I've tried quitting and failed and that I'm slowly destroying this body. The conclusion reached isn't easy, that I'm a true drug addict, no different than true alcoholism or heroin addiction.

I Want One
: For the nicotine addict this is the biggest lie of all, for we can't have  just one. The Law of Addiction says we have to take them all back, every one of them, and all the bodily harms, risks, costs and diseases that come with them. Instead of teasing ourselves with this lie, picture all of them and everything that comes with them.

Admitting true chemical addiction may seem hard but it brings two immediate benefits. First, it makes the recovery rules simple. It's all or none. There is no having our cake and eat it too. The mind games are over. Second, it means we no longer need the long laundry list of excuses that our concious thinking mind invented to explain why it would need to obey that next limbic mind command to put more nicotine back into our bloodstream. Still just one guiding principle determining the outcome for all ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff! Yes you can!!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x8)
Last edited by John (Gold) on October 11th, 2010, 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

smilingthyme0
smilingthyme0

March 25th, 2008, 8:34 pm #59

What did I love about smoking?
Truthfully?
Absolutely Nothing
Last edited by smilingthyme0 on February 15th, 2009, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

March 26th, 2008, 10:41 am #60

So let me ask you this......in the long run.......what will you love more.......
OR
Truly Living Your life........ free of nicotine, as it was always meant to be lived?
An extra decade to truly live has immeasureable value in my mind.
One more day would be priceless at this point.
How much is YOUR LIFE worth to you?
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on October 11th, 2010, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosy
rosy

December 5th, 2009, 8:23 pm #61

Honesty sets you free.

Thanks for this post - I needed a reality check.

Free & Healing
Rosy
Stopped Smoking for One Month, Twenty Seven Days, 4 Hours and 22 Minutes, by avoiding the use of 1887 nicotine delivery devices. Quit Day : 09/10/2009.

Likkitysplit
Likkitysplit

April 15th, 2010, 2:13 pm #62

Sometimes people at work would watch me walk outside to the smoking area,.. lighter in hand,.. smoke hanging from my mouth,.. and they'd ask: "When are you going to quit that nasty habit?" and I would usually reply "I LOVE IT".

And I truly did. It was MY time. I was always disappointed they didn't last longer,.. like I wanted a cigarette that started off two feet long.

It was for ME. Nobody else. Just FOR ME. MINE.
 And I loved it.

Sure,.. I felt HORRIBLE going outside when it was 3 degrees with a 40mph North wind blowing just to feed my habit. I felt like a weakling for not being able to quit. I hated carrying them around everywhere I went,.. and especially paying for them. I hated worrying about cancer,.. I didn't like the way people looked down at me for my nasty habit. And eventually all these things,.. along with the thought of "I've had my fun with them,.. I've had my time with cigarettes",.. made me start doing searches online for quitting help, which led me to this site and my newfound education about nicotine addiction.

I'm honestly happy to be an ex-smoker,.. but it takes some time to get familiar with this new life.
 This battle will never end,.. but once I lose the "romantic" feelings for my beloved cigarettes,.. it'll get a lot easier for me.
 They're going away,.. gradually,.. as I start to fall in love with my new life.

So,.. ONE DAY AT A TIME means everything.
 It truly does bring good things.

LikkitySplit
Last edited by Likkitysplit on April 15th, 2010, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

April 15th, 2010, 2:34 pm #63

[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
I Smoke Because I Like Smoking! 

Ask almost any current smoker why she continues to indulge in such a dangerous habit and she will normally reply, "Because I like smoking." While she may say this in all honesty, it is a very misleading statement, both to the listener and to the smoker herself. She does not smoke because she enjoys smoking, rather she smokes because she does not enjoy not smoking.

Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug. The smoker is in a constant battle to maintain a narrow range of nicotine in her blood stream (serum nicotine level). Every time the smoker's serum nicotine level falls below the minimum limit, she experiences drug withdrawal. She becomes tense, irritable, anxious and, in some cases, even shows physical symptoms. She does not enjoy feeling these withdrawals. The only thing that will alleviate these acute symptoms will be a cigarette. The nicotine loss is then replenished and, hence, the smoker feels better. She enjoyed smoking.

A smoker must also be cautious not to exceed his upper limit of tolerance for nicotine or else suffer varying degrees of nicotine poisoning. Many smokers can attest to this condition. It usually occurs after parties or extremely tense situations when the smoker finds themselves exceeding their normal level of consumption. They feels sick, nauseous, dizzy and generally miserable.

Being a successful smoker is like being an accomplished tight rope walker. The smoker must constantly maintain a balance between these two painful extremes of too much or too little nicotine. The fear which accompanies initial smoking cessation is that the rest of the ex-smoker's entire life will be as horrible as the first few days without cigarettes. What ex-smokers will learn is that within a short period of time, the physical withdrawal will start to diminish. First, the urges will weaken in intensity and then become shorter in duration. There will be longer time intervals between urges. It will eventually reach the point where the ex-smoker will desire a cigarette very infrequently, if ever. Those who continue to smoke will continue to be in a constant battle of maintaining their serum nicotine level.

Included in this battle is the great expense of buying pack after pack and the dangerous assault on the smoker's body of inhaling the poison nicotine along with over 4,000 other toxic chemicals which comprise the tars and gasses produced from the combustion of tobacco. These chemicals are deadly by themselves and even more so in combination.

So the next time you think of how much you once seemed to enjoy cigarettes, sit back and take a serious, objective look at why you have such an idealization of this dangerous product. Consider all the consequences. You will probably realize that you feel physically and mentally better now than you ever did as a smoker. Consider all of this and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

I Smoke Because I Like Smoking!

I smoke because I like the flavor

You Smoke Because You're A Smoke-a-holic!

Why did I ever start smoking?

Do members of our board seem to be too happy?

Related video:

Video TitleDial UpHigh SpeedMP3LengthCreated
Why do smokers smoke?2.65mb5.70mb8.31mb18:0811/07/06
[/size][/font]

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

April 15th, 2010, 2:51 pm #64

From the string I Smoke Because I Like Smoking!

Most smokers will attest to the fact that they feel that there were some "good" cigarettes that they smoked over their lifetime. When I use the term good, I don't want any confusion here that they were cigarettes that were good for them or even cigarettes that served a valuable purpose, like helping them get through a crisis. If a person survived a crisis while taking a cigarette, it is crucial that he or she recognizes that he or she would have gotten through the crisis even if he or she had not smoked. Hanging on to the belief that a cigarette was the only thing that got them through is setting the person up for future failure if a crisis is ever big enough. When I use the word "good" though, I simply mean there were some cigarettes that people truly enjoyed. One of the tactics I use at all my clinics is to ask for a show of hands of people who smoke 2 packs a day or more. I ask those people how many of them smoke because they like smoking. There are always going to be a number of 2 pack a day smokers who answer in the affirmative to the question.

I then go on to ask some very important follow-up questions. First I ask them to tell me which cigarettes stand out in their mind as being really great cigarettes on any given day. Usually they will offer up the first one or two they have when they wake up, the ones after meals and maybe one or two others that they have on certain breaks. Then you can see that they are thinking of other good ones but none seem to come to mind. I simply point out that we have a mathematical problem occurring here. They have come up with five to seven good cigarettes yet they are smoking forty or more cigarettes a day. Where are those other cigarettes?

Some of them are nasty as they smoke them. Some of them are marginal, they don't even remember smoking them soon after they were out. So here we have a few good cigarettes, a few lousy cigarettes and a whole bunch of what now seem to be insignificant cigarettes. It is then a matter of convincing the person to remember all of the cigarettes and helping them to understand that while there may be some good ones, they have to be accompanied by all of the mediocre and miserable ones, and when it comes down to it all of them, even the good ones are killing them.

Sometimes the original question I ask, of which cigarettes stand out as being really great cigarettes, sometimes appears to backfire. For some people will respond with a clear and resounding statement of "All of them." But to those people I just have one simple follow-up question which is, "How much do you like smoking? Do you like smoking more than you like something like, oh, I don't know...something like maybe...breathing?" It is quite evident that this is not the case for if it were it is very doubtful that they would be sitting in a Stop Smoking Clinic in the first place.

Here are a few posts that we have that explore the concept of people saying they enjoyed smoking. They are by no means the only articles on the site that address this issue. I think that anyone who is hanging on to the belief that in some way they really miss smoking needs to spend time reading the relapse prevention articles of Freedom, as well as the Reasons to Quit Sections, the addiction sections and the craves and thought sections. Equally important if not more so would be reading the stories at www.whyquit.com. When it really comes down to it stories like Byran's and Noni's and Kim's and Sean's and the countless others hit home the point that nothing that brings even some level of enjoyment is worth using if it brings on the kind of suffering and losses that accompanies using a product that is destructive and lethal. Smoking destroys the smoker and often goes on to devastate his or her loved ones left behind.

There may have been cigarettes that people think back to as good--but these good cigarettes were destroying tissue, overworking their heart and lungs and were keeping the addiction alive and well that was creating the need for tens or hundreds of thousands of cigarettes that would likely eventually have killed them. The only good cigarettes were the ones you tossed without lighting the day you quit, for they were the cigarettes that started you on your journey to become an ex-smoker--the cigarettes that you can vividly recall as the ones you destroyed when you finally committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Related video:
Video Title Dial Up High Speed MP3 Length Created
Why do smokers smoke? 2.65mb 5.70mb 8.31mb 18:08 11/07/06
[*]I Smoke Because I Like Smoking! [*]I smoke because I like the flavor [*]"Boy, do I miss smoking!" [*]You Smoke Because You're A Smoke-a-holic! [*]Why did I ever start smoking? [*]My Cigarette, My Friend [*]Do members of our board seem to be too happy?