What Can Freedom Do For Me?

What Can Freedom Do For Me?

Joel

04 Apr 2003, 20:40 #1

I lifted this section from an earlier post John put up back in January 2001.
What Can Freedom from Tobacco Do for Me?
The first thing you need to know is what Freedom from Tobacco cannot do for you! Freedom cannot quit for you, we can not make you want to quit, nor can we provide the foundation for the personal motivation that is necessary for you to achieve success. You must provide your own desire!

Regardless of how "wonderful" you find your experience here at Freedom, the glory will always belong to you. It is your desire and motivation that will deliver you from nicotine's bondage, not ours. We take no credit for your strength, your determination or your guts. We often read where members thank us for "making" them quit, but the truth is, it just isn't true. The glory will be yours!

What Freedom can take credit for is in helping provide a strong nicotine addiction and relapse education so that your determination and desire can live up to its true potential. What we can take credit for is in bringing together nicotine addicts from around the world, to share in the most rewarding and wonderful journey that many will ever experience.

Just as Freedom can't take credit for motivation, it can't take credit for lack of motivation either. Some arrive here thinking that the word "support" means that our members will somehow how pick them up and carry them or provide them with the basic motivation needed to reach glory. Sorry but it just can't be done. Just as glory belongs to the motivated, defeat belongs to the unmotivated.

As with those who give Freedom too much credit for their success, others will give Freedom undeserved blame. You'll recognize these members as those asserting that they are not getting enough attention from the group or not enough replies to their posts and then go on to relapse. Remember, support and self motivation are two different things.

MsArmstrongKIS

04 Apr 2003, 22:40 #2

I think I knew this when I signed up and made my name "justme", which I have kind of regretted because I think it makes me look like an egomaniac and also I do so much self-obsessed posting y'all probably think I'm a "ME" lunatic.

Still. . .this quit is going to fly or sink because of nobody but little old me. I sure wouldn't blame Freedom if I relapsed, so I don't think Freedom deserves any credit for me quitting smoking. That was a decision I made all by myself one day, seven weeks ago, after I fished around in my friend's ashtray, found a pretty big butt, and smoked it (after two days without smoking), woke up the next morning, felt desperate for a cigarette again, felt as though I'd smoked a pack the night before, and felt a light bulb go off in my head. . .even somebody else's butt equals a broken quit and a return to an addiction that I already was starting to understand the dangerousness of.

Did Freedom reinforce all of that? You bet. . .Joel's library showed me that every excuse I ever made to smoke was a lie, and told me that all of my blossoming suspicions about the nature of my addiction--its laws and its overwhelming hazards--were true. Everytime I read there, I feel myself relax because it puts an end to all the irrational thoughts about smoking that creep up on me during the day. Everytime I post or read the posts of others I feel less alone in my quit, which makes it easier for me to remember that I am doing the right thing.

But I've shown enough of my smoking friends the articles here at Freedom to know that all the truth in the world makes no difference if you yourself are not willing to listen. I'm the one taking Joel's library seriously, and suffering now in order to avoid greater suffering in the future, should I come down with some deadly disease as a result of nothing but ME and my hazardous behavior.

I'm the one to blame if I get cancer from smoking, I'm the one to blame if I relapse, and I sure as heck am the one to blame for doing the smart thing and going through this temporary discomfort.

"Justme" is who will miss out on precious years of her life if she gives into all of the people who make smoking look cool to her. "Justme" is who is suffering through the triggers and craves and doubts and saying no to each one. Best of all, "justme" is who I am now, intsead of "Me and my pack of smokes". I'm enough for me. I thank everyone at Freedom for helping me to see that, as I slog through this initial quitting pain. It continues to be an incredibly rewarding lesson.

Alex
1 month 3 weeks

Golddabler1

19 May 2003, 22:21 #3

Hi joel
The education here sure makes a difference,i found at an alarming piece of information for lurkers,i was looking up a health site and it stated that the carbon monoxide from one cigarette is 600 times more than is considered safe in industrial plants.
Rickdabler 2 months 1 week 3 days 11hrs 10mins happily nicotine free.Image

Joel

08 Oct 2003, 03:46 #4

There is an important underlying message in many of the posts put up by our members and managers when we are asked to help a person in distress. That message is for the member to read, read, read. We have provided a great wealth of information here at Freedom and at WhyQuit.com about the addiction and a lot of posts from all of our members with real life examples of how a smoke free life is a real possibility for any person wanting to stay quit. I get letters daily from members and non-members thanking us for providing these materials and who say that they have spent hour upon hour reading all of the materials in the Quit Library and on the board. They make it clear that many things they read over and over again to secure their quits. You can tell that these people are spending a lot of time working at securing their quits. Its interesting because I never got an email from a disgruntled ex-smoker who has said that he or she was really mad because of all of the time that he or she has wasted reading these materials over and over again.

There are times though where I will get a letter from a person who has relapsed who will say with great regret that he or she wished that he or she had done more to secure his or her quits. Sometimes these are from people who were once long-term ex-smokers and now have been smoking years or decades because they didn't put enough of a priority on staying quit.

Again this comes down to the issue of what can Freedom do for you in securing your quit. We can do what we are doing--providing you information on the dangers of smoking, enhancing your knowledge on the process of quitting and the importance of keeping your guard up and your ammunition reinforced of why you want to stay smoke free. How we do this is by having this site and WhyQuit.com up and going 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, as long as MSN and our webhost servers stay up and going. It is crucial to note though that your quit is not going to stay easy by us just doing our part. The fact is that each and every member and reader is going to have to do his or her own part if this quit is going to stay on track. Your part is to read and learn as much as you can, on bad days and occasionally on good ones too. In fact, the more good days you spend a little time reading here at Freedom, the less bad days you are likely ever to experience. Read and learn as much as you can here. The more you read the stronger your quit will stay and the more resolute you will always be in the commitment you made when you joined up at Freedom to never take another puff!

Joel

Angelina Gold

08 Oct 2003, 07:24 #5

Hi everyone

As a long term quitter (coming up to two years before you know it), I can only REALLY REALLY endorse this point. Joel articulates it so well. Trust me, there will be times over the course of your rock solid quit you do waver. It is the education you gain at whyquit.com that can make the difference at this time.

When you read read and read some more you ingrain the information into your subconscious mind so that it really does do a lot of the work FOR you. I often have thoughts of smoking that seem incredibly fleeting until I realise what has happened - my subconscious mind which is choca-block full of Joels articles kicks in.

In my opinion the best support you recieve here on the boards is from rock solid quitters who ALWAYS give you a list of reading by way of reassurance. They do that because they KNOW you have to OWN your own quit and that means KNOWING YOUR STUFF.

Anyway - thats my soap box effort for today. Love to all my Freedom family as always, and keep up the good fight!

Angelina

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

16 Aug 2004, 08:10 #6

There is a direct correlation between your understanding of the basic principles of addiction and relapse, and your chances for permanent abstinence from tobacco. There is also a direct relationship between the degree of your involvement within a cessation support group and your prospects for long-term success. In short, read, read, read and THEN post, post, post. Don't expect others to be your source of motivation. Your quit belongs to you. If you lean on any of us, upon your family or upon any other quitter as your source of motivation, you will get let down. If you lean too hard on your family and friends for support, how are you going to feel when their encouragement stops? If you lean too hard on our members, how will feel when one of your posts gets unintentionally overlooked? If you lean hard on another quitter who quit about the same time as you, how will you feel when they relapse and go back to smoking? If you lean on Freedom too hard, how will you feel when your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or MSN and this Community totally crash, and it takes a day or two to make them functional again?

Rely upon yourself for your motivation and use Freedom for your addiction education and the joy of sharing this wonderful experience. Good Luck to each of you and remember the one and only rule to permanent abstinence.....
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

25 Apr 2005, 23:25 #7

I saw a question written in a post to a member of how she knows just where to find every link in this place. I too have watched this same member pop up the exact links to articles and strings that I would have popped up if I had seen a specific question or issue on the board. I realize that the only way any member can do this if she had spent a whole lot of time reading everything we have here at Freedom, learning all that she could to reinforce her resolve to quit smoking and to stay free. I am glad the person spent her early time learning all she could and now is so generous in helping others.

We want all of our newer members spend the bulk of their time here at Freedom reading and learning as much as they can to strengthen their resolve and understanding on how to stay quit . New members should not just be focusing on reading things just happening at the board with other newer members either.

The following comment was written in the string "Do whatever it takes to quit smoking". I think it sums up the concept that I am trying to get across in this commentary here:
Freedom is different than most other sites. We want our new members to be spending a lot more time reading than posting. It takes a lot more time and effort to meet people and write stories that it does to read. While meeting others and sharing your own stories might seem more fun it is not likely going to be giving you new insights to effectively deal with quitting. If you have questions or concerns let us know but spend the bulk of your time enhancing your learning about your addiction and how to treat it. Joel

Last edited by Joel on 31 Jul 2009, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

05 Jan 2007, 00:58 #8

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 31 Jul 2009, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

22 Oct 2007, 22:34 #9

ImagePlease read, read, read.

There is a wealth of information at Freedom and www.whyquit.com just waiting for you to take advantage of!

Education is SO important.

No matter what is happening in your life..whether good or bad, happy or sad, hard or easy, remember that nicotine will not improve any of it.

Never take another puff, dip, or chew.

No nicotine today, one day at a time! Image

Sal GOLD.ffn

01 May 2008, 09:38 #10

Welcome to Freedom!
Take full advantage of the information available here and at www.whyquit.com.
An Educated Cold Turkey Quit is a quitting method that works!
Read, read and re-read. You are worth it. You can do it!
Life is worth living without nicotine controlling and affecting everything. Go for it! Freedom is yours as long as you never take another puff, one day at a time. Image