Well, at least I attempted to quit.

John (Gold)

12 Jan 2004, 22:03 #11

• Is there any guarantee that you'd ever come this far again?
  • Your brain was tuned and conditioned to function around nicotine's two-hour chemical half-life. What would be different next time?
  • How much more time do you have before risking being among the one-quarter of adult nicotine smokers who fail to live beyond middle-age, or the half for whom a birthday near their 60th is the last they'll ever see?
  • What chemical is worth surrenduring up to one-third of your functional lung capacity and a substantial portion of your ability to smell and taste?

John (Gold)

03 Jan 2005, 04:30 #12

The feel good quit?
So you can face yourself in the mirror during 2005?
So you can destroy yet another year's worth of air sacs?
So you can quiet family by saying, "see, I tried!"
It's hard work living and planning life from inside a pack.
What do you have to lose by seeing what it's like being "you?"
We're confident you'll discover that the real quitting took
place on the day nicotine took control.
We've built it and you've arrived.
Now it's your turn to go the distance!

Joel

05 Feb 2005, 23:48 #13

I see we have a few people who have spouses or friends who are working with this kind of logic.

Crystal View1.ffn

01 Aug 2005, 05:41 #14

Wow, did I need this string RIGHT NOW! It never ceases to amaze me how wonderful and blessed I am to have access to such support.

Joel, thank you for bringing this one up. I just got off the phone with an old friend, who now lives in another city. She started smoking again after a 15 year quit. She was on top of the world, life was going great, and she was so happy....for a moment, it sounded good to me.

So, I will keep this close to my heart, I will remember "Quitting smoking is only the first step in smoking cessation. If you wish to make the attempt a permanent solution to your smoking addiction, stop cold turkey and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!"

And
"While many people get excited about thinking of quitting or trying to quit it should be noted that these two states in themselves will not save lung tissue, your health or likely your life. Some smokers spend years and decades thinking about quitting or failing at quitting. When a person cuts himself or herself back to one a day in the intent to control the addiction, he or she is still no closer to quitting than the day he or she started the process. He or she is still in the grip of an active nicotine addiction and physiological need. Admitting the addiction and treating the addiction requires a 100% commitment to never put nicotine into one's body again. So don't be excited about having attempted to quit--be excited, be overjoyed, be proud and be happy that you have quit--and to keep all of the real psychological, social, economic and most important of all physical benefits, stay excited by the fact that you are totally committed to never take another puff!

Joel"

Joe J free

01 Sep 2009, 11:04 #15

Quitting smoking is only the first step in smoking cessation. If you wish to make the attempt a permanent solution to your smoking addiction, stop cold turkey and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

prucat

31 Jul 2011, 04:00 #16

I read this post because a couple of days ago, I had that thought,' well I attempted" because I was wanting to smoke. It finally clicked for me, after 10 or so articles, that quitting smoking is part of the process of smoking cessation. That is an important difference and I think I now get it. I want to stay on this journey,. Every day counts. I seek comfort, but I am pretty willing to deal with this discomfort for now. I believe it will get better. I believe I will not just quit smoking, but cease to use nicotine for the rest of my life.

Joel Spitzer

12 Jun 2013, 11:51 #17

New video that fits into this category too:
"I'm trying to quit smoking"

Also related commentary from the thread Actions speak louder than words-or thought:

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]A thought for a cigarette will never cause a person to go back to smoking-only an action can do that. The action is a puff on a cigarette or any administration of nicotine from any source for that matter.

Thoughts or words are not decisive factors of anything. Lets say you never quit smoking, and are eventually diagnosed with emphysema, and then knowing that every puff you took was destroying more and more lung tissue, basically crippling you a little bit more every smoking moment.

Should you then feel solace for saying as you are lighting up a cigarette, "Yes, I know I am destroying more lung tissue and I am likely going to be on oxygen soon and gasping for air at some point until my heart finally gives out from the overload, but at least I thought about quitting today."

I don't think you or your family, friends, or doctor will look at this statement as a major accomplishment as you are lighting up one cigarette off the one that is about to burn out. Especially if you have said the comment earlier that same day, and have been saying it day after day for decades now.

If you think back to when you were first quitting, the odds were you had numerous thoughts for days and maybe weeks and still, here you are smoke free. It is because you never gave into those thoughts.

Today still your actions are speaking louder than your words or your thoughts. The action is you didn't take a puff yesterday and I strongly suspect if you are here reading now you are not planning on taking one puff today either. As long as you continue this practice, it does not matter if you never think of a puff again or if you think of it daily. You will never relapse as long as you never take another puff!

Joel

[/font]
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 12 Jun 2013, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

KayS

12 Jun 2013, 15:45 #18

Thank you. Just so good to keep getting this sort of reinforcement.