**** Week?

Joel

24 Dec 2003, 23:11 #31

In lieu of today's parade and for the benefit of people just looking in and considering quitting, I thought I had better make it clear that not everyone goes through three hellish days when they quit. While the peak period of potential physical withdrawal is 72 hours, some people find the first day the roughest, some people find the second day the roughest, some the third and some people quit with relative ease having no major physical reactions. Read the post Every quit is different for further discussion on this issue. Quitting might be easy or might be hard but either way it possible and will be worth the effort as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

davez GOLD

10 Jul 2004, 01:27 #32

Just thought that all of the newbies may be wondering about "glory week"
I know I was.

davez

I have quit smoking for Two weeks, six days, 23 hours, 55 minutes and 23 seconds. I have not smoked 419 nasty cigarettes. I have saved $41.99 by not buying those stupid little death sticks. I have added 1 day, 10 hours, 55 minutes to my precious life. I am so proud of myself for being a quitter!!

Joanne Gold

11 Aug 2004, 04:49 #33

Joel

28 Aug 2004, 06:17 #34

One week that the term "**** Week" is a more accurate description surrounding smoking is the week that a person finds out they have lung cancer, or ends up in a hospital after a heart attack, or ends up partially paralyzed or unable to speak from a stroke, or the day a person starts on oxygen, or the day a person ends up on a burn ward from a fire they started with their own cigarette, or the day a person dies suddenly or unexpectedly from a smoking induced incident.

Even in these cases though the term "**** Week" is an inaccurate assessment of time. These people may end up going though weeks or months of what they consider hellish experiences and still sometimes end up losing the battle to save their lives. In the case of sudden death, "**** Week" doesn't apply either, at least not for the deceased individual himself or herself but likely for the family and friends left behind. The suffering and sadness of these family members and friends will not likely end on day eight either, they will be facing the sadness of the smokers premature loss for a long time to come.

I guess the closest a week may be considered "**** Week" in regards to smoking is the week a person relapses. That is the week they have to admit failure to everyone they know, unless they start their new lives living the lie of being closet smokers, which creates it own problems that last a whole lot longer than a week. This is the week that they start to smell like **** again, and possibly start to experience perceivable detrimental effects again. This is the week that they start paying exorbitant prices for a product that is attacking their heart, lungs, self-respect, self-esteem, start to make them question their own intelligence or their own common sense, and affect the ways other people view them. In the case of the closet smokers who eventually gets caught, it also threatens their basic honesty and integrity for they are living a lie now and are always afraid of being exposed.

The week a person relapses may be hellish but the problems posed by smoking will not end in seven days for them either, but rather get perpetually worse as the days, months and years pass while maintaining the active addiction to nicotine. To end the hellish experience of being a smoker is as simple as knowing not for seven days, but for the rest of your life to never take another puff!.

Joel

OBob Gold

05 Jan 2005, 06:45 #35

Joel

10 Sep 2005, 00:39 #36

One week that the term "**** Week" is a more accurate description surrounding smoking is the week that a person finds out they have lung cancer, or ends up in a hospital after a heart attack, or ends up partially paralyzed or unable to speak from a stroke, or the day a person starts on oxygen, or the day a person ends up on a burn ward from a fire they started with their own cigarette, or the day a person dies suddenly or unexpectedly from a smoking induced incident.

Even in these cases though the term "**** Week" is an inaccurate assessment of time. These people may end up going though weeks or months of what they consider hellish experiences and still sometimes end up losing the battle to save their lives. In the case of sudden death, "**** Week" doesn't apply either, at least not for the deceased individual himself or herself but likely for the family and friends left behind. The suffering and sadness of these family members and friends will not likely end on day eight either, they will be facing the sadness of the smokers premature loss for a long time to come.

I guess the closest a week may be considered "**** Week" in regards to smoking is the week a person relapses. That is the week they have to admit failure to everyone they know, unless they start their new lives living the lie of being closet smokers, which creates it own problems that last a whole lot longer than a week. This is the week that they start to smell like **** again, and possibly start to experience perceivable detrimental effects again. This is the week that they start paying exorbitant prices for a product that is attacking their heart, lungs, self-respect, self-esteem, start to make them question their own intelligence or their own common sense, and affect the ways other people view them. In the case of the closet smokers who eventually gets caught, it also threatens their basic honesty and integrity for they are living a lie now and are always afraid of being exposed.

The week a person relapses may be hellish but the problems posed by smoking will not end in seven days for them either, but rather get perpetually worse as the days, months and years pass while maintaining the active addiction to nicotine. To end the hellish experience of being a smoker is as simple as knowing not for seven days, but for the rest of your life to never take another puff!.

Joel

Kristen Goldx3

18 Jan 2006, 22:37 #37

nancy999

02 Mar 2006, 22:01 #38

HOORAY! I couldn't agree more. This is NOT **** week! It is in fact GLORY WEEK. If your quit is a week long, could you be any prouder of yourself? I have more self confidence and sense of accomplishement than I've ever had (except birthing twins LOL). What a POSITIVE thing!! Wooo-Hooo for us!

I'm changing my name...I'll now be known as Nancy Ntap!
Five FUN days, 11 hours, 23 minutes and 46 seconds. 164 cigarettes not smoked, saving $39.74. Life saved: 13 hours, 40 minutes.

katricie

19 May 2006, 03:46 #39

Once again reading has changed my mind to around to think and look at something differently for what it really is thanks again for putting things in perspective.

Mitzi499

19 May 2006, 04:22 #40

Sorry for using this expression in one of my recent posts. I don't think I used it any others and certainly take on board what you are saying. I appreciate entirely that the first week of a quit may very well not be "**** week" for many people, and certainly they should not anticipate that it will be. The context in which I used it was to try to suggest that given the strength demonstrated in getting through the first 72 hours, and managing to continue with a difficult week, there should be no giving up.

Thank you for this - another bit of education for me!

Maria - 1 month quit and not quite believing it