**** Week?

Joel

03 Sep 2003, 21:10 #21

Joel

04 Sep 2003, 01:12 #22

I saw three different people use the term "**** Week" in the past 24 hours. I think this post needs to be near the top today.

The week a person relapses may be hellish for some but the kinds of problems smoking can cause do not just last seven days. Smoking causes problems that get perpetually worse as the days, months and years pass while maintaining the active addiction to nicotine. To end the hellish experience of being a smoker in chronic withdrawal as well as mimimizing the risks of getting diseases and conditions that can make your life really **** like is as simple as knowing not just for seven days, but for the rest of your life to never take another puff!.

Joel

Carl in Georgia

04 Sep 2003, 04:02 #23

I sheepishly note that in my very first post I referred to "**** Week'! Please accept my apologies for the faux pas. After doing some reading up here, I fully concur that the term "Glory Week" is much more apt and in keeping with Freedom's positive perspective.

It seems to me that self pity in the recovery process is counterproductive and the term "**** Week", when used to describe the nicotine withdrawal experience, is not only implicitly self pitying, but hyperbolic and insentive to those who are truly living through hellish experiences. Nicotine withdrawal may be a very uncomfortable experience but it is certainly not life threatening or even catacylsmic. I agree with Joel and others that there are too many experiences out there that are truly hellish to use this term to describe our first week's ( or 72 hours') discomfort.

Still learning after all these years...

Carl

Alleen Golden

04 Sep 2003, 04:46 #24

Hi All:

I just joined about four days ago and have seen the term "**** Week" quite a bit as well as Glory Week. I agree with Joel on this.

Glory Week has a much better taste than **** Week. So, as long as I am here and posting, I think I will refer to this as Glory Week as well. It is only 7 days but worth celebrating afterall.

I think lots of people really wonder if they will get through the first 7 days at all. But getting through them gives us the courage to keep going.

Thank you Joel for your wonderful insights and for keeping us all in line "often"

Alleen

yellabelly66

11 Sep 2003, 17:51 #25

Good morning everyone, from the Irish YB!!

Day 6, so still in Glory Week, and believe me, after the first few days of very weird symptoms it truly has been a glorious week, of realisation, education and recovery.

I am going on holiday to one of the Greek Islands on saturday. Smoking was always a big thing for me on previous holidays, but this time I am never going to take another puff, so I am not worried. I am not complacent either, and I will be on my guard, as my husband smokes, but I will not smoke. My mind set is so strong that I am very sure in my quit.

I will be bringing printouts of pages from freedom, to reinforce my quit if needed.
Otherwise I am going to relax and have my first non smoker holiday!!!
Well since I was 17 (20 years ago!!
Imagine the damage I done to myself??) anyway.

Any advice from my colleagues here will also be gratefully accepted!!!

YB. Day 6!!! Yippeeeeee!!

Joel

11 Sep 2003, 19:59 #26

Hello Duffo:

As long as you are bringing reading material, why not print out the full e-book at www.WhyQuit.com/joel/ntap.pdf. It will give you lots to read. From what I hear from clinic graduates and reports we have seen here at Freedom, Greece is one country where smoking is quite pervasive. I am going to bring up a few posts on how to really watch people smoke, and using the act of watching them an a tool to keep your quit as opposed to having it threaten your quit. We also have a few strings from people who have traveled early on in their quits to some very smoky places. I'll try to find them and pop them up also. Just know that the Law of addiction is an international law, that to stay free in Greece or any other country is as simple as always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

29 Sep 2003, 19:37 #28

ImageI saw the term "**** Week" up again from an old post. I just like to bring this one up when old posts pop up like this to make it clear that that the term is often quite misleading. The week a person took up smoking, or the week a person relapses, or the week a person finds out he or she has a smoking induced illness, or the week a person takes his or her last breath because smoking takes its final toll has a much more "hellish" connotation than the week a person quits smoking. We just like to keep things in perspective here.

Coolmare2green

09 Oct 2003, 05:35 #29

Hi all-
i've just passed the "glory week" mark myself, and couldn't agree with you more on what constitutes a "**** week"----for me my past life as a closet smoker was one "**** week" after another.this past week for me has been tough at times, but has also been for me the beginning of regaining my self-respect,and a journey toward healing myself--body and soul.....and that actually feels really worth it.
Mary

HeyItsAngelica

21 Oct 2003, 01:28 #30

whoa, i thought it only lasted 72 hours. i am on day 8 almost to day 9. and i still feel like i have a case of the nastys. mine is especially bad, because i am a recovering alcoholic and a person with bipolar (mood swings). i go into my purse reaching for smokes that arent there anymore, then i remember i am a non smoker. i am grateful that i quit. i quit for myself. i had no business smoking in the first place, as i have asthma. now, my mother in law says i have to help her, i said, no, you must do this yourself. was i right in that statement? she couldnt help me stop drinking, i cannot do the same for smoking for her.