**** Week?

Toast (GOLD )

26 Jun 2002, 01:19 #11

Hello All,

All good points!

The concept of "****/Glory Week" is one that never moved me much in any direction, but I have certainly used the term because it was already in use and for lack of another way to mark a week nicotine-free.

If we're voting, I'd vote against a color for the first week ... something about having to be patient and earn that GREEN!

Rather, how about another name that doesn't have an association yet? Maybe "Discovery Week" or "Orientation Week" or "Miracle Week" or something because is really is a week of new discoveries, new achievements. Not only, is a new quitter learning about themselves, if they are members, they are learning their way around the boards.

Whatever the decision, there's no denying that first week free from smoking is a week to celebrate! As I am constantly reminded, struggling is optional.

Image Melissa
the Gold Club Image

improud (golder)

26 Jun 2002, 04:09 #12

Very good post Joel. **** week does sound alittle intimidating like oh no what is going to happen to me and will I make it!!!! I didn't pay too much attention to it like Linda I was just so thrilled that I made it through 72 hours and then one week. I didn't join Freedon until I was past one week and when I kept reading about **** week I thought Gosh I didn't go through **** I was in **** when I was smoking and coughing my head off every morning afternoon evening and when I walked up steps Look out I thought I was going to pass out. Quitting was not **** Smoking is and I think that since every ones quit is theirs alone we can't really put a handle on what that first week will be like. To each his own. The education is the key. Cathy GOLD

Rickgoldx5

26 Jun 2002, 04:41 #13

maybe "Breakout Week?"
just thinking out loud.
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 3 Weeks 4 Hours 38 Minutes 9 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 3288. Money saved: $491.58.

richard This is It GOLD

26 Jun 2002, 04:49 #14

Genesis? Intern? Foundation? Fresh(person)? Jubilee? Banner?

-richard
(just my tuppenceworth, .028 Euro worth - and gettin ready for vacation !!!)

Joanne Gold

26 Jun 2002, 05:02 #15

Good post, Joel! When I first quit smoking....a "week" was not even entertained in my mind...the only thing that mattered was the "day". My first week was pretty tough but so were many other moments later....but as Joel has pointed out...nothing is as tough as a relapse or having to repeat constant detox. I literally quit smoking "one day at a time" and that is all this nicotine addicted lady could handle....be assured...that same concept stayed with me much longer than a week. Each day that passed where I remained free and in control was a huge victory...reaching a week didn't matter...it was a daily resolve until things became comfortable. The process is amazing and happens at different stages for each of us...the sooner we start facing the challenges and living out the associations we have to smoking...the faster we learn how doable quitting really is. We each have learned that in order to work through this process...all we have to do is never take another puff.

JUST FOR TODAY....NOT ONE PUFF..NO MATTER WHAT

So anyway, in those early days we should be concentrating on getting through each new day without taking that first puff....and nothing more.Image

One long day for this girl....three and a half years free and grateful for every minute.

Joanne : )

Joel

03 Sep 2002, 09:31 #16

Changingmyname(SILVER )

03 Sep 2002, 10:25 #17

Hmmm, good points, although I must admit I'm pretty lenient with language, as you can pretty much apply any meaning to any phrase if you put the words in the right order...I just take what I need from any given term.

So, with no opinion one way or the other about the term Glory Week (or **** week, for that matter), I'm going to offer my thoughts anyway just to keep me out of mischief.

Having just finished Glory Week, I can tell you it was hardly glorious although it had its moments. I've spent this week embracing my urges to smoke, allowing my mind to inhale and exhale the cigs, and then smiling as I push the thought away and exercise my healing lungs by taking yet another expanded breath. I've spent this week learning, and although this week was highly cerebral for me in terms of education and using mind over body, it was really a battle with my physical dependance on nicotine and my body's memory of it. I told myself that I could do it a thousand times but sometimes nothing worked but to ride out the cravings and urges, like a ship in a storm. For that reason I think Motivation Week would be an adequate name...even though, as I said, I don't really have much of an opinion Image. My non-opinion also says that two weeks should be the milestone, as I'm having a tougher time on day nine than I did on day 4, probably because my life is slowly changing in realization to being a non-smoker.

Just my non-thoughts for today!
Theresa, 9 days.

Joanne Gold

14 Nov 2002, 13:25 #18

Good post, Joel! When I first quit smoking....a "week" was not even entertained in my mind...the only thing that mattered was the "day". My first week was pretty tough but so were many other moments later....but as Joel has pointed out...nothing is as tough as a relapse or having to repeat constant detox. I literally quit smoking "one day at a time" and that is all this nicotine addicted lady could handle....be assured...that same concept stayed with me much longer than a week. Each day that passed where I remained free and in control was a huge victory...reaching a week didn't matter...it was a daily resolve until things became comfortable. The process is amazing and happens at different stages for each of us...the sooner we start facing the challenges and living out the associations we have to smoking...the faster we learn how doable quitting really is. We each have learned that in order to work through this process...all we have to do is never take another puff.

JUST FOR TODAY....NOT ONE PUFF..NO MATTER WHAT

So anyway, in those early days we should be concentrating on getting through each new day without taking that first puff....and nothing more.Image

One long day for this girl....three and a half years free and grateful for every minute.

Joanne : )

Joel

26 Jan 2003, 07:17 #19

I saw where one member just used the term that she had gone through quite a hellish week since she had quit smoking. I didn't want people to confuse this with the term "**** week." I always want people reading here to recognize that smoking has the full potential of causing much more pain and suffering and much more grief spread over a lifetime than any problems quitting may cause even in the first few days of a quit. Life will be better in the short-term and the long term as long as you always stay committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

21 Jun 2003, 19:44 #20

I saw where a new member wrote, "when I joined a few days ago, someone mentioned that when the first week was over, it's called Glory Week? (see Glory Week?)Actually this was a term coined by John I think to balance the term "**** Week" which is used quite pervasively on the Internet. As in the case of the term "**** Week," "Glory Week" is not really said much out there in the real world. Bring it up in a conversation of ex-smokers who had no connection with the Internet and they will likely stare at you and not know what you are talking about. I have not heard either of these terms said by any person who I have talked to in any of the live clinics or in any of the live seminars I have conducted in the past 30 years, meaning after having talked to close to a 100,000 people about smoking, I don't think I have heard either of these terms spontaneously used once. I do think I have a vague memory where a member of Freedom said it in one of my live groups, although I am not sure of that.
I felt that we really needed to really clarify the term "**** Week" because the connotations that are associated with that term can clearly be counter-productive and are just plain wrong when looking at quitting in the grand scheme of things. "Glory Week" is a lot more accurate of a descriptive term. I just like to think of the first week though as the first seven days of what a person who truly understands the issues at hand is going to want to be thousands and thousands of days where they will eventually look back and still be able to say that they are still thrilled that they have stuck with their commitment to never take another puff!

Joel