Was I addicted?

Joel

08 Dec 2001, 01:34 #11

Image Thought it would be a good idea to bring this one to emphasize what Kughes said in the parade today--how you can even lose a 30 year quit. I have had two people in clinics who had lost 35 year quits, some who were 25 years or longer, and most groups have at least one 10 year plus e-smoker who lost a quit. I have probably have more than one hundred of them. But Kughes is our record holder here at Freedom. It is a record that with any luck will never be broken by any of our current members. Actually, luck will have nothing to do with it. It is a record that will never be broken as long as every one here always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

24 Dec 2001, 20:18 #12

Image For Marria:

Spending $800 buying lots of cigarettes to fend off an impending price increase doesn't in itself prove addiction, it does though proves thriftyness. Relapsing though after lighting up one while recognizing all the problems caused by smoking, all the struggles a person went through to first quit, all the benefits they derived once they quit, and then going right back to smoking in the face of all logic--well that proves addiction.

Everyone here at Freedom had ample chance to prove to themselves the are drug addicts--years and decades for many of our members. Now it is time to prove that they are smart enough to control their addiction--to recognize that to stay off now and prove that they can live smoke free entails keeping in practice their personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Richit(Bronze)

09 May 2002, 10:56 #13

Joel,
I just saw this today. How true it is. Indeed, it wasn't addiction that got me smoking again after 23 years but it sure did make it easy to keep smoking after "another puff."

I just learned yesterday that my brother-in-law, who quit 4-5 months before I did, is smoking again. I had many close calls during the last 3 months, especially when things haven't gone so well with my wife's health. But, I'm still here -- still reading when I get a chance, and still appreciating all the wonderful people that contribute to this forum.

Tomorrow, my wife and I are going to the hospital for another kidney transplant workup. Hopefully she will be found to be healthy enough to receive another transplant in the near future.

Richit

OBob Gold

19 Sep 2002, 06:26 #14

Just to reinforce what is being said today.... Not only WERE you (me, everybody here) addicted, but you will ALWAYS be addicted.

There are two types of addicts. They stand on either side of the one puff. Stay on this side, and you'll always be a FREE addict; not an enslaved one.

gord 52ca

24 Jan 2003, 00:41 #15

I would have to agrea in 1996 i hade quit smoking for 11 mounts and made the mistake of thinking i could have just one cig wrong the next day i bought a pack and keped smoking right up to this quit 01 06 2003 I AM A JUNKE
17 days 10 hrs 40 min
Gord

John (Gold)

30 May 2003, 09:47 #16

Addicted to Nicotine
Thursday May 29, 2003 - The Borneo Bulletin

Dr Hj Rozaimee delivers his lecture entitled "Nicotine Addiction" at Central Lecture Theatre, Universiti Brunei Darussalam.

Listening attentively to the lecture.
Where is Borneo?
The President and Executive Board of Brunei Darussalam Institute of Chemistry organised a Professional Lecture entitled "Nicotine Addiction", by Dr Hj Rozaimee bin Hj Tengah, who is a Medical Officer, Ministry of Health, Brunei Darussalam. The talked was held on Sunday May 25, 2003 at 9.45am at Central Lecture Theatre, Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
Smokers usually start the habit as early as in their teens, and are addicted to nicotine by the time they are adults; thereafter the choice to quit becomes an illusion. Although two-thirds of smokers want to quit, and about a third try each year, but only 2% have managed to succeed! So, do you think nicotine is as addictive as "hard" drugs such as heroin?
Of all the possible ways of obtaining nicotine, smoking cigarettes remain by far the most addictive. The reason is that smoking cigarette maximises the rapidity, frequency, reliability, and ease of attainment of the reward from nicotine. Nicotine via cigarettes reaches the brain in 10 seconds, which is faster than via intravenous use.
It is much easier and cheaper to purchase a pack of cigarettes (for example, from petrol stations or local supermarkets) than it is to purchase a packet of nicotine gum. Unfortunately, cigarettes are the deadliest form of nicotine delivery available on the market. It is not the nicotine per se but the combustion and release of over 40 carcinogens as well as other toxic chemicals that are responsible for the bulk of premature illnesses and deaths that result when cigarettes are used as intended.
Lastly, but certainly not the least, let us ponder why the most toxic form of nicotine delivery happens to be the least regulated?
Structure of nicotine
Nicotine is an alkaloid (a substance with a basic charge), contained in the leaves of several species of plants. The primary commercial source of nicotine is by extraction from the dried leaves of tobacco plant: Nicotina tabaum & Nicotina rustica.
The chemical formula for nicotine is C10 H14 N2 with a molecular mass of 162.23. 3 - (1 - Methyl - 2 - pryrrolidinyl) pyridine has been given as the proper nomenclature for nicotine.
Nicotine pharmacology
Nicotine has a complex toxicology that includes both adrenergic and cholinergic effects, as well as central nervous system effects. Typically, nicotine produces an initial stimulation of the peripheral nervous system, followed by depression and blockade of sympathetic and parasympathetic ganglia and neuromuscular junctions.
Nicotine toxicity
- Gastrointestinal distress - digestive problems, stomach upset, bowel cramping, constipation etc
- Hypothermia - lowers body temperature to below-normal levels
- Vomiting
- Hypertension - blood vessels constrict to create high BP in some people, increasing potential for aneurysms
- Seizures - uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain, resulting in tremors and other abnormal responses
- Respiratory distress - nodules in the lungs which increases the potential for the development of small cell lung carcinomas by several hundred percent
Other abused drugs
Nicotine is as addictive as "hard" drugs such as heroin. Heroin induces euphoria, relieves pain and often induces sleep. Heroin overdose can result in death. Serum hepatitis is common. Also skin abscesses, inflammation of the veins, constipation and respiratory depression.
Nicotine has certain effects and mechanisms in common with cocaine, including the involvement of dopaminergic transmitters. Cocaine increases blood pressure, heart rate, breathing and body temperature, feelings of euphoria. Regular use can cause anxiety, insomnia, weight loss, increased paranoia and psychosis.
Nicotine affects the same areas of the brain as amphetamines. Amphetamines promotes feelings of alertness, increase in speech and physical activity. Amphetamines can produce toxic effects, mood swings, circulatory and cardiac disturbances, feelings of paranoia, hallucinations and convulsions.
Cigarette the best method of obtaining nicotine
Of all the possible ways of obtaining nicotine, smoking cigarette remains by far the most addictive. The reason is that smoking cigarette maximises the rapidity, frequency, reliability and ease of attainment of the reward from nicotine. Nicotine via cigarette reaches the brain in 10 seconds, even faster than via intravenous use. This is the chemical largely responsible for "hooking" people on cigarettes (popularly known as smoking addiction).
Flavouring chemicals e.g. alkenylbenzenes are found in tobacco additives which are used to enhance the taste of cigarette smoke. Research carried out, has associated the inhaling of alkenylbenzenes with cancer as well as lung damage in laboratory animals.
Tobacco addiction
The modern cigarette, developed and find tuned by the tobacco industry over decades, is a wonderfully efficient nicotine delivery device, delivering the optimum dose of nicotine, so ever rapidly to the dependent brain, with the help of many additives (sugars, mint, licorice or cherry), so that the smoke of the cigarette is made more pleasant.
Quitting is not simply a matter of choice for the majority of tobacco users. It involves a struggle to overcome an addiction. Tobacco use typically is woven into everyday life and can be physiologically, psychologically and socially reinforcing. Many factors combine with tobacco's addictive capacity (including media depictions, cultural and societal acceptance of tobacco use) in order to make quitting difficult.
Other ingredients in cigarettes
Many people are unaware of the number of toxins in tobacco smoke. Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemical compounds, including at least 40 cancer-causing carcinogenic agents. 3 main ingredients. Apart from nicotine: Tar and carbon monoxide.
Tar
A term used to describe the 20 (or more) different carcinogens (cancer-causing substances). Tends to collect in the lungs. Clinically linked to several forms of lung cancer.
Carbon monoxide (CO)
CO is the same deadly stuff that comes out of a car's exhaust pipe. People have been known to use CO to commit suicide. CO enters the bloodstream and stays there for up to 6 hrs after each cigarette.
Every cell in our body needs oxygen to survive. CO molecules take the place of oxygen in our blood. It's much like taking a seat in a bus - once it's full there is no more spaces left. Hence, inhibiting the transportation of oxygen to the body's vital organs via the bloodstream.
Decreased oxygen supply to the heart may lead to a heart attack. Increased CO reduces the level of oxygen carried to our brain which can lead to a decrease of mental ability. Smokers also become easily short of breath because the blood is carrying less oxygen.
Other constituents
Arsenic: a poison used in insecticides
Ammonia: a chemical used in toilet cleaner
Acetone: a solvent used in nail varnish remover
Benzene: a solvent used in the manufacture of fuel
Cadmium: a poisonous metal found in batteries
Chromium: used for metal plating
Formaldehyde: a chemical used to preserve dead bodies
Hydrogen cyanide: a lethal gas and can be used in photography
Hydroquinone: used in rubber production and in motor fuel
Lead: used in storage batteries
Nickel: used in stainless steel production
Nutbae: used in camping gas and lighter fuel
Phenol: used I disinfectants and germicidal paints
Tecanoe: used in paint stripper
Ricnesa: found in ant poison
Toluene: used in explosives
Other tobacco products
Smokeless (spit) tobacco has 3 forms:
- Snuff: ground-up moist tobacco, usually placed between bottom lip and gum. Snuff users become addicted to nicotine and may be tempted to switch to cigarette to get larger and quicker doses of the drug
- Chew: shredded tobacco leaves placed between the cheek and gum. Tobacco chewers become as addicted to nicotine as smokers
- Plug: shredded tobacco leaves which are pressed into a hard block and placed between the cheek and gum
Recently, the cigar industry has tried to attract new, younger users, including women, by promoting cigars as a sophisticated, luxury product.
Typical amount of nicotine found in various tobacco products
Cigarettes: 15 - 20 mg
Cigars: 15 - 40 mg
Snuff: 12.4 - 15.6 mg / gm
Chewing tobacco: 2.5 mg / gm
Gum: 2 mg / gm
Transderm patch: 17.5 - 52.5 mg / patch
History of tobacco
Columbus' crew introduced tobacco growing and use to Spain. Jean Nicot, the French ambassador in Portugal, first introduced tobacco in French court. The different ways of using tobacco also originated from America. Cigarette, Beedi, Snuff, Cigars and Pipes remain the popular means of using tobacco.
Most of the work related to nicotine rich tobacco varieties could be attributed to tobacco companies in USA. The developmental work from 1960 to 1994 aimed ultimately at increasing the sale of tobacco products.
Before the recent revelations in 1960, that the presence of nicotine in tobacco products make them addictive and is the reason why many people continue to use them, and despite the evidence of the harmful effect of tobacco use, Nicotine generally was perceived to be merely a natural part of tobacco leaf and inevitable component of any tobacco product.
Tobacco companies started on working for developing a more addictive, a new nicotine rich, harder to kick tobacco and finally developed a genetically altered variety with the code name Y - 1. The history of development of nicotine rich tobacco varieties in the world, thus can be attributed to British American Tobacco (BAT) industries.
Tobacco as a global epidemic
One-third of the world's population aged 15 and above, smoke regularly. More than 1.25 billion smokers worldwide. 1 billion male smokers and 0.25 billion female smokers. 80% of them in developing countries.
Tobacco was estimated to account for just over 3 million annual deaths in 1990. Rising to 4 million unnecessary deaths per year (corresponding to 11,000 deaths daily) in 1998. Half of these deaths occur in productive middle ages. Responsible for one death every 10 seconds worldwide.
It is estimated that tobacco attributable deaths will rise to 8.4 million in 2020. By 2030, tobacco likely will be the world's leading cause of death and disability, killing more than 10 million people annually and claiming more lives than HIV, TB, maternal mortality, motor vehicle accidents, suicide and homicide combined.
Unless the current smoking patterns change, in 21st century, about 1 billion people will die from smoking - 10x compared throughout 20th century.
Brunei statistics
Male smokers: 31.1%
Female smokers: 5.3%
Age 20 to 29: the largest group of current smokers
Health impact of tobacco
Most health consequences of smoking are not manifested until 3 to 4 decades after the onset of persistent smoking. This reduces the seriousness with which tobacco issues are addressed. Lung cancer and CHD (coronary heart disease) are the most common fatal conditions caused by tobacco, responsible for 30% of all deaths in the UK.
A prospective study by Doll and Peto, which began in 1951 for 40 years, involving 40,000 male British doctors, found that smoking is associated with excess mortality from the following diseases: Cancers of the mouth, oesophagus, larynx, pharynx and lung, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and other respiratory and vascular diseases.
Another prospective study by Rimm et al, involving 40,000 men, found that smoking over 15 cigarettes per day, is associated with a doubled risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
A study published by Wannamethee et al, found that life-long smokers have a nearly 4-fold increased risk of having a stroke. The risk in ex-smokers was found to be nearly twice that in non-smokers. Benefits from stopping smoking can be seen within 5 years.
Copyright © 2003 Brunei Press Sdn Bhd. All right reserved
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

24 Dec 2003, 23:19 #17

For those who had an easy time quitting. Never delude yourself that you were not addicted and that if you were to relapse that you would "simply" quit again. Next time might be hellish and worse than that, next time might be too late. For those who are putting off quitting because of how hard it is going to be. This time might be easy. While this might seem to be a mixed message of what to expect from quitting and withdrawal, there are no mixed messages when it comes to staying free. Staying free is as simple and consistent as just sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

03 Mar 2004, 02:33 #18

For Smoker,
More Prison Time Is No Crime
Tues. March 2, 204
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - For a 73-year-old Canadian man, 20 months in a smoke-free jail looked just too long, so instead he took 24 months in a prison where he can smoke cigarettes.[/size]

Angelo Foti was sentenced to 20 months for shooting and wounding a man in his backyard who was trying to repossess a snowmobile sold to Foti's son, the Winnipeg Free Press reported Tuesday.[/size]

In court Monday, Angelo Foti was agitated when he realized the sentence would mean he would be in a provincial jail, where smoking is banned, the newspaper said.[/size]

Foti's lawyer pleaded for a 24-month sentence instead, which means the man will go to a federal prison, where smoking is allowed.[/size]

In accepting the longer term, Foti, a dedicated pack-a-day man, ignored the wishes of this family.[/size]

"Dad, they're just cigarettes -- give them up. Quit smoking: you'll be healthier," his son Angelo Jr. said in court. "Just take the 20 months."[/size]
Link to story:[/size]
Copyright © 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved[/size]
Thanks Jill for the story link![/size]
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

Roger (Gold)

31 May 2004, 02:00 #19

Was I Addicted?
Am I Still Addicted To Nicotine Even After I Quit?
The one attribute that shows the addictive nature of nicotine
is not how hard or how easy it is to quit, nor is it
how hard or easy it is for an individual to stay off smoking.
The one true property that shows the power of the addiction
is that no matter how long a person is off, one puff and that
quit can go out the window.
Don't ever try to prove to yourself that you were not addicted.
You were addicted to nicotine all of the years you used it and
you are addicted to it today too. But as an ex-smoker the
addiction becomes asymptomatic. To keep it that way and
to basically stay in control always remember to
Never Take Another Puff!
Joel

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

05 Sep 2004, 12:22 #20

In case any one here ever finds him or herself asking the question "Was I addicted?," the answer is yes. More important, you must recognize that you are still addicted, even though the addiction may have become totally asymptomatic. To avoid ever becoming caught in the iron clad grip that nicotine once exerted on you, once again being on a course of total self-destruction, stay focused on fact that the only that you can keep the addiction under your complete control is to always remember that to stay smoke free you must never take another puff! Joel