WANTING vs. THINKING

Retraining the conscious mind
JoeJFree Gold

09 Dec 2006, 21:28 #31

This one doesn't come up much but it is a very important thread with numerous lessons for the committed quitter to read.

Read all of the posts, many by John that help explain this crucial concept. It is OK to think about cigarettes, it is OK and normal to think about not smoking cigarettes as we defuse our thousands of triggering situations.... it is OK to even think about wanting a cigarette (or more accurately a nicotine delivery device). Therein is the key, stripping the 'romance'away from tobacco & cigarette use and making our mind see clearly that what we are missing is the effect of the drug therein.
We must never lose sight of what we are - addicts bound to a chemical compound - and stay focused on our recovery of self, recovery of our life as it should be and should have been save that fateful and permanently damaging initial encounter with the drug hidden within a popular well advertised activity. Yes, it was popular at the time, or seemed so, looking back 20, 30, 40 or more years. At the time for many of us it was a 'right of passage' or so it was made out to be. We need to acknowledge and thenleave all of that thinking behind as we begin anew to discover how our lives can truly be rewarding and calm now that we have regained control of our mood control circuitry.
I'm now almost two years free. Do I think about smoking now and again - yes. Does it threaten my life an an ex-smoker? Only if I allow myself to believe the lie, to buy in to the mirage that using tobacco is in any way a beneficial activity. By demystifying and objectifying tobacco and all of its delivery forms I have learned to keep the focus of my recovery on the 'root cause' - nicotine.
Only one rule to get and stay free & in control of me - No nicotine today by any means no matter what. Now That's a plan for Living!

JoeJ Free
because I wanna be as the alternative is deadly... now 1 year, 10 months, 29 days 22 hours removed from my last dose of nicotine and still only One Puff away from forfeiting my freedom of choice. It is that thought that allows me to choose to say no thanks, I really don't want to go back there again.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 09 Aug 2011, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

come clean

03 Apr 2007, 13:47 #32

hello!

i am almost at 4 months, and this post cought my eye in another current post. i figure i would bring it to the top to write my thoughts as well as recognize other newly greened/double greened, bronzed, silvered people may be thinking what i am thinking in regards to this subject.

i really appreciate the thought put towards defining thinking vs. wanting. i've wondered about my thoughts the past 2 months, and have tried to categorize them, differentiate them from prior thoughts.

when looking back, i can definitely recognize that my previous WANT is now a want, and a 'want' that size and that faint is actually a think. still with me?

i rejoice in recognizing the switch from primal desire to analytical thought, and recognize that i am one puff away from returning to that primal person i was before.

Image Alex
(over 110 days! i have lost count, but know i am close to bronze +1...i am not even feeling inspired to check my....okay fine, i'll check it...holy cow 115 days! see what i mean....)

JoeJFree Gold

09 Oct 2007, 19:35 #33

This one doesn't come up much but it is a very important thread with numerous lessons for the committed quitter to read.

Use the ImageFirst button to read all of the posts, many by John that help explain this crucial concept. It is OK to think about cigarettes, it is OK and normal to think about not smoking cigarettes as we defuse our thousands of triggering situations.... it is OK to even think about wanting a cigarette (or more accurately a nicotine delivery device). It's OK to stay committed to our healing and staying nicotine free until comfort arrives, by NTAP - naturally.

JoeJFree Gold

21 Nov 2007, 12:45 #34

From: ImageImageNicotineFreeJon (Original Message) Sent: 2/27/2004 10:00 AM
Hello Freedom Friends,

I haven't been here much recently, but I thought I would post an update.

Firstly, congratulations to all the newbies that have joined. You have made a great decision in giving up smoking, you will be amazed at just how quickly things get comfortable. Just stick with it through hard times and believe what all the older members say in that it really does become easier.

Personally, I have never particularly found this quit difficult and I am sure that it mainly due to keeping a positive frame of mind. I refused to let myself feel as though I was missing out on smoking in the early stages, and instead concentrated on all of the positive aspects of quitting. If I felt myself slipping I would simply come straight here and read some more to strengthen my resolve, at times visiting the site for several hours a day (becoming slightly obsessive!). As time has passed, I have become less and less dependant upon the site, and more and more in control of my own life again (this is not to say that I have become complacent, I think I will probably always come here for reinforcement, just less often). It's hard to believe that I could be this comfortable after just 2 months (in a couple of days, officially!), but I really am. I can honestly say that it's not often that I think about smoking each day, and even when I do, it will be a thought ABOUT smoking, not a thought about WANTING to smoke. The last couple of months have also brought some v. stressful times - car accident, illness, virus outbreaks @ work, etc. Through all of these occasions I haven't thought about smoking until I realised I didn't think about it after the event had occurred! I have also, completely conquered my major trigger of going to the pub, which prior to quitting I would have thought IMPOSSIBLE!

The thing that strikes me the most is that I am actually in control of living my life now, and can do what I want to do, when I want to do it, without worrying when I will be able to take my next fix.

Anyway, enough for now. I hope everyone is loving this as much as I am, and to all the new quitters..... no matter how difficult you think it is right now, stick with it, it WILL get better. Remember how long you smoked for. Probably a long time, so there will be no miracle cure. You may get it easy, you may get it hard. No matter how your quit goes, it will DEFINATELY succeed if you never take another puff.

Best wishes to you all

Jon

offington

21 Nov 2007, 16:25 #35

I think about smoking a lot these days but I would have to go back over 32 years to find a time when I wanted a cigarette less.

Before I quit I'm not even sure that I really wanted any of those millions of ciggies, but I certainly needed them because I was an active nicotine addict and I just had to have them.

Now that I no longer need nicotine I have a choice whether to have a cigarette or not and, because I really dont want one, I choose to never take another puff!!

Sean - free of nicotine now for Three months, three weeks, two days, 55 minutes and 26 seconds. 3451 cigarettes not smoked, saving £178.37. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes.

Sal GOLD.ffn

29 Dec 2007, 00:25 #36

Actions speak louder than words - or thought Image
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 20 Mar 2009, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

StevensKayStevens

23 Feb 2008, 01:02 #37

I DO want one. I hate not being able to smoke. But I know where it landed me, in the hospital not being able to breathe. My lungs are cooked, fried, toast. But I still want to smoke. Crazy. But I will not smoke, I know I will reach the comfort zone again one of these days. Kay

ccathy247

13 Jun 2009, 17:14 #38

How many times? Just had one a few moments ago, the first one I ever had reading the forums.

The nice happy lady sat in the park, reading and enjoying her cigarette.

I thought, ohhh yes that was a nice thing to do. I had previously read it's ok to have pleasant memories?

Now a few minutes later and I am thinking yuck, gross! LOL

I guess my first reaction was the ahh! moment and my second reaction was maybe my first real remembrance of how gross and un-natural it is to **** hot smoke into your lungs.

Sometimes it is fun to go through this experience, I get to laugh at myself. I remember some comedian making fun of the mental state of that first person who decided to put hot, burning smoke into their lungs.

I particularly enjoy John's descriptions of addicts - " walk among the actively addicted as they publicly feed".

I have been quit for 2 Months, 3 Days, 13 hours and 14 minutes (64 days). I have saved $64.55 by not smoking 1,291 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 11 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 10/04/2009 12:00 AM
The intelligent quitter's strategy combines an understanding of the Law of Addiction
with well-protected core motivations.

Nobody ever graduates from Addiction

Cathy, Gold

[Quit April 10, 2009]

Moomintrude

07 Nov 2009, 13:53 #39

What a relief - I really needed to read this today! I don't ever want to smoke again and I am certain of that, but I am fed up of thinking about it all the time. This thread has helped me realise this is actually a positive thing and will help stop me from ever smoking again.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum!

ImageI have been nicotine free for 1 Week, 6 Days, 13 hours, 56 minutes and 47 seconds (13 days). I have saved £40.74 by not smoking 135 cigarettes. I have saved 11 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 24/10/2009 23:55Image

Lindasuew3

20 Nov 2012, 03:49 #40

Good stuff ;). Thank you!!!