WANTING vs. THINKING

Retraining the conscious mind
BarbaraT 1113

30 Nov 2003, 23:31 #21

Thanks Mike, for bringing this one to the top! What a great read!

I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 11 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 255.

John (Gold)

28 Feb 2004, 23:57 #22

From: ImageImageNicotineFreeJon (Original Message) Sent: 2/27/2004 10:00 AM
Hello Freedom Friends,

I haven't been here much recently, but I thought I would post an update.

Firstly, congratulations to all the newbies that have joined. You have made a great decision in giving up smoking, you will be amazed at just how quickly things get comfortable. Just stick with it through hard times and believe what all the older members say in that it really does become easier.

Personally, I have never particularly found this quit difficult and I am sure that it mainly due to keeping a positive frame of mind. I refused to let myself feel as though I was missing out on smoking in the early stages, and instead concentrated on all of the positive aspects of quitting. If I felt myself slipping I would simply come straight here and read some more to strengthen my resolve, at times visiting the site for several hours a day (becoming slightly obsessive!). As time has passed, I have become less and less dependant upon the site, and more and more in control of my own life again (this is not to say that I have become complacent, I think I will probably always come here for reinforcement, just less often). It's hard to believe that I could be this comfortable after just 2 months (in a couple of days, officially!), but I really am. I can honestly say that it's not often that I think about smoking each day, and even when I do, it will be a thought ABOUT smoking, not a thought about WANTING to smoke. The last couple of months have also brought some v. stressful times - car accident, illness, virus outbreaks @ work, etc. Through all of these occasions I haven't thought about smoking until I realised I didn't think about it after the event had occurred! I have also, completely conquered my major trigger of going to the pub, which prior to quitting I would have thought IMPOSSIBLE!

The thing that strikes me the most is that I am actually in control of living my life now, and can do what I want to do, when I want to do it, without worrying when I will be able to take my next fix.

Anyway, enough for now. I hope everyone is loving this as much as I am, and to all the new quitters..... no matter how difficult you think it is right now, stick with it, it WILL get better. Remember how long you smoked for. Probably a long time, so there will be no miracle cure. You may get it easy, you may get it hard. No matter how your quit goes, it will DEFINATELY succeed if you never take another puff.

Best wishes to you all

Jon

John (Gold)

07 May 2004, 20:37 #23

How is being here with us and talking about recovery any different than studying smokers around you as they feed a mandatory need? It is healthy to think about the process of recovery. But it is also necessary that we each gradually tear down the wall of rationalizations, minimizations and blame transferece we built in order to protect and insulate us from what truly felt like an inability to stop our own senseless self-destruction. Embrace recovery, don't fight it! Remember what life as an active addict was like, don't forget it! You're going home and today's victory is all that matters. The next few minutes are doable. Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John

CarolJJ3

01 May 2005, 01:28 #24

It's a miracle! This article is just what I needed. Or else, JoeJ, you bumped this thread up to the top just for me. Either way, I feel "special".Image

Carol, nicotine-free for 18 days and 16 hours. Breathing deeply and laughing hard.

JoeJFree Gold

19 Jul 2005, 10:36 #25

An excerpt from NicotineFreeJon's post above -

"The thing that strikes me the most is that I am actually in control of living my life now, and can do what I want to do, when I want to do it, without worrying when I will be able to take my next fix.

Anyway, enough for now. I hope everyone is loving this as much as I am, and to all the new quitters..... no matter how difficult you think it is right now, stick with it, it WILL get better. Remember how long you smoked for. Probably a long time, so there will be no miracle cure. You may get it easy, you may get it hard. No matter how your quit goes, it will DEFINATELY succeed if you never take another puff."

Exactly!

JoeJFree Gold

22 Sep 2005, 20:50 #26

Image"Our former relationship with tobacco was extremely intense and produced millions of tiny independent memories of needing, craving, finding, opening, holding, striking, lighting, sucking, tasting, inhaling, feeling, ahhhhing, exhaling, ashing, butting, dumping, cleaning, brushing, buying, trying, failing, decaying, lying, hiding and crying.

How could we possibly expect ourselves not to NOTICE others still captive to tobacco or THINK about what they're doing as we encounter them throughout our day? We can't and we shouldn't! It's very normal!

....recognizing the fine distinction between THINKING about your recovery (and the fact that you are not smoking) vs. experiencing an URGE, CRAVE or WANT to put nicotine inside your body, is, in a very real sense, victory in itself!

Even brief periods of wanting new nicotine or a cigarette won't harm us at all. ImageIt's only when a quitter acts upon their WANT that they destroy their freedom, healing and glory!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! YQB John : ) (Zep)"
ImagejoejFree - Nicotine Free and Healing for Eight Months, Eleven Days, 22 Hours and 32 Minutes, (254 days)
Reclaiming 22 Days and 3 HoursImage
6373 nicotine delivery devices not used - $1,278.48 retained earnings.
NTAP!

johnnynonic

02 Jan 2006, 22:09 #27

from above.....

"I have to say that the number of seconds I still want a cigarette in a day is usually zero. It doesn't cross my mind, I don't remember to remember it anymore, if that makes sence. When I think about smoking, it is usually because somebody reminds me of that, for example by smoking. But thinking about smoking does necessarily mean wanting to smoke." Triin

John (Gold)

24 May 2006, 23:56 #28

A Most Intense Dependency

Thinking about going grocery shopping and experiencing hunger pains are two different things. ImageYes, they can both happen at the same time but most often they don't. This very moment, you're here in the quitting store, stocking up on insights, thinking deeply about the topic of smoking but are you experiencing a crave. Maybe, but probably not.

A ten cigarette per day nicotine smoker, who smoked for ten years and averaged 8 puffs per cigarette has had a cigarette touch their lips 292,000 times, has tasted their burning cigarette's 4,000 hot particles and gases 292,000 times and has sucked nicotine deep into their lungs 292,000 times. Eight to ten seconds later they sensed nicotine arImagerive in their brain. Yes, 292,000 times - eighty times per day. How well do you know your name? How many times each day do you say or write your name?

Albeit chemical, our dependency upon smoking or using oral nicotine may have been the most intense relationship we've ever known. We're told that nicotine may be the most perfectly designed drug of addiction ever. When we anticipate a human hug or actually get one, we get a shot of dopamine. That "aaah" reward sensation. The same happens when we anticipate or eat an anticipated food, when we anticipate accomplishment or complete a non-routine task.

ImageWhen anticipation or the excited event actually occurs the firing rate of millions of dopamine neurons in our midbrain increase from their normal baseline rate of about 4 bursts per second to as much as 25 bursts per second (25 Hz) depending upon the intensity of the stimulus. Entirely by chance the nicotine molecule fit into brain neuron receptors designed to receive acetylcholine (the a4b2 sub-type). Like your TV channel changer, it's the brain's conductor of an entire orchestra of neurochemicals, including initiating the flow of dopamine.

We've read research reports here at Freedom indicating that the key Image difference in using nicotine to steal dopamine versus having its flow controlled by life is that unlike the "aaah" sensation that comes from anticipating or receiving a nice cool glass of refreshing water when thirsty, the dopamine released by nicotine doesn't quickly get cleaned up. That's right, one of the "orchestra" of neurochemicals controlled by acetylcholine is the dopamine killjoy enyzme MAO B. With almost no MAO B, nicotine produced dopamine gets to linger on much longer.

We're not here to become ex-user neurochemists. But it's important to appreciate how nicotine is so gripping that through the hacking, coughing and the six shades of green that often came with that first nasty tasting puff, we each quickly started making excuses as to why we came back for more.

We're told that half of all our brother and sisters in bondage are not arresting their dependency prior to costing themselves an average of 13 to 14 years of life. What we've each done in staying nicotine free is pretty darn special. To think about a relationship that was this gripping, this intense and, yes, extremely dependency dependable is entirely normal. The imposter nicotine and its control of neurochemicals as diverse as adrenaline and MAO B may have made everything from the need for and "aaah" associated with eating a hardy breakfast or a child's loving embrace take a neurochemical backseat in life.

Nicotine dependency recovery can be one of the most glorious adventures we'll ever make if we'll only allow ourselves to not be afraid of the self-beauty that our mind's dependency has so deeply suppressed. AlloImagew yourself to see, feel, smell, taste, hear and imagine the beauty gradually unfolding within.

Melissa (Toast) just shared with me the fact that she hasn't had a crave in years. My last crave was in December 2001 but then again we may both experience one tomorrow. But through all that I have never once seen someone smoking a cigarette, especially on television or in movies, when I didn't think about the topic.

We will never promise you that you will not think about where you spent all those years but we can promise that with each passing day the challenges, if any, will gradually grow fewer, shorter in duration and generally less intense.
Still just one overriding principle, one that will always remain our common bond, no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff, Patch, Dip, **** or Chew!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x7)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 20 Mar 2009, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

crissycrost

26 Jun 2006, 08:01 #29

Thanks Sal...You're the best. I think you must have been reading my mind tonight.

I'm so glad that even though I still sometimes think about a cigarette, I never want one anymore.
Christy - Free and Healing for Twenty Eight Days, 22 Hours and 52 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 4 Hours, by avoiding the use of 347 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $86.96.
My Quit Date: May 27, 2006 9:00 PM
Last edited by crissycrost on 20 Mar 2009, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

30 Oct 2006, 08:55 #30

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 20 Mar 2009, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.