Need a bit of a boost please ....

Tawny67
Tawny67

February 11th, 2008, 6:54 pm #1

I don't know what is going on .... but for the last few weeks i have been fighting off strong urges to smoke and i have been telling myself how much happier i was before i quit. The "my cigarette my friend" thinking. I have lost alot of motivation in other areas of my life since i quit and because i am feeling bored and in a rut - well of course my thought's turn to my "friend". I really do not like thinking like this ... I am not far off Silver and here i am thinking like this? I am embarassed ...... Advice appreciated please ...

Tawny

Free and Healing for Five Months, Fifteen Days, 9 Hours and 21 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 11 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 3368 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,492.14.

RobinS614
RobinS614

February 11th, 2008, 7:21 pm #2

Hi Tawny

Here's the thing....we can get complacent in our quits sometimes. Let our guard down. When that happens, we need to revisit the reasons why we quit, reinforce the foundation of our quits and rededicate our resolve to keeping all the nicotine on the outside.
"Things were just so bad at work that I took a cigarette!"

Robin - 1 year 8 months

Tawny67
Tawny67

February 11th, 2008, 7:32 pm #3

Hi Robin .... thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!! I agree .... complacency does set in and i am finding my guard slipping. Too busy thinking about smoking instead of working on reinforcing my Quit. I am going to start reading your recommendations now. Agin ... many thanks ...

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

February 11th, 2008, 8:26 pm #4

Tawny,
Are you looking for answers to life questions and maybe still thinking that a bit of tobacco rolled up in a paper tube can solve these things. (That even sounds ridiculous to write, right?) The promises contained in tobacco marketing are, as you well know, Empty Promises.

Although we begin to approach 'Easy Street' in regards to our recovery journey fairly quickly, I beleive it's still prudent to continue to learn and monitor our healing mind by reading. That why Reading and Growth of our quit seem to be so closely linked. One of my favorite wasy to keep my quit charged up is to spend some time reading here if not each day then every few days. Complacency can be a real threat to anyone's quit if we do not stay vigilant and continue to Reach for our dreams! of a better life as a committed ex-smoker.

Keep investing in your knowledge by reading here once in a while. The returns of your effort will bring rewards that are hard to describe but wonderful all the same.

YQb - Joe J

Nyniane SparrowSong
Nyniane SparrowSong

February 11th, 2008, 8:41 pm #5

The others are so completely right, Tammy... there is some junkie thinking going on, and you've already recognized it. Additionally, I think that a lot of us get to the point where we think that the work should be over, but it's not. We have already forgotten just how nasty it was to need to smoke every hour or so, and we have forgotten how difficult the first week or so was. So we sit around telling ourselves how great it was to smoke and how hard we have it now. The cure, I think, is to treasure at least one really disgusting smoking memory... how you used to have to stand out in the wind, perhaps, getting frostbite in the name of getting your fix. Or maybe there's a particularly nasty smoker's lounge you used to have to hang out in...

On top of that, maybe you were happier as a smoker. Remember, smoking gives us those unearned dopamine hits, and it takes time for our bodies to learn to do that stuff by itself. Be patient and give yourself a chance. Your body WILL catch on. Every quit is different, but the 6 month mark, for me at least, was a biggie. It may have been psychological, but I suddenly felt almost normal again.

Hang in there!
Beth

One year, one week, two days, 4 hours, 41 minutes and 9 seconds. 11225 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,936.46.

Tawny67
Tawny67

February 15th, 2008, 3:53 pm #6

Thank you Joe and Beth .... i agree ... I actually do not want a smoke at all - i just think i want one because smoking was what always made me feel better emotionally.

As Beth said "maybe you were happier as a smoker. Remember, smoking gives us those unearned dopamine hits, and it takes time for our bodies to learn to do that stuff by itself. Be patient and give yourself a chance. Your body WILL catch on. Every quit is different, but the 6 month mark, for me at least, was a biggie. It may have been psychological, but I suddenly felt almost normal again" .... i can totally relate to this i it is the dopamine fix i want and i am still waiting for my body to "catch on". i have no idea why - but i feel less normal than i ever have in my life lately. Nicotine had much more of a hold on me than i thought. Like i said - my quit seems to be a backward one - as i had no trouble in the early stages.

Anyway ... i think i am just having a pity party here aren't i? My family has an attitude of get up and on with it no matter what it is. I think i may well be dwelling too much on all of this ... and not thinking enough outside the circle! I just want to feel good about what i have achieved? Oh - and feel normal as well!

Tawny