First Post - I am a non-smoker!! - (my journal)

mseincolasc
mseincolasc

4:02 PM - Jan 14, 2011 #1

good morning new quitters!!  just wanted to introduce myself to the group.  i was a smoker for 37 years and had my last cig on 01/03/11.  it has been tough!  but i could not have done it without the whyquit.com site and all the wonderful articles and videos.  i still have some psychological cravings, especially after meals and doing some daily routines around the house, but they are fleeting moments and each day they seem to occur less frequently.  my smoker's cough has all but disappeared as well as the constant having to "clear my throat."  i just want to say a big THANK YOU to joel for your dedication and hard work - quitting cold turkey really DOES work wonders.  every day i reaffirm my vow to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!

I stopped smoking on Tue, 4 Jan 2011 04:15:00 UTC.
It has been 1 weeks, 3 days, 9 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds since I quit.
I have saved $ 55 by choosing not to smoke 229 cigarettes.
More importantly, I saved  0 weeks, 1 days 18 hours 0 minutes of my life!

Jefferyrw
Jefferyrw

4:40 PM - Jan 14, 2011 #2

Welcome to the Freedom Forum, MSE!

I too am a new ex-smoker.  This forum and whyquit.com can be a great source of knowledge that will help you to stay nicotine free.

The various articles, videos, books, and posts have armed me with information.  Information is the key to making good decisions and staying nicotine free.

Regards,
Jeff

5:06 PM - Jan 14, 2011 #3

Hello MSE and welcome to Freedom:

I am glad that you watched the videos in the early days of your quit and have found them helpful.  I encourage the videos to new quitters even more so than I do the book or articles I have shared on the site. The reason for this is that I never really meant for the articles to be a guide for quitting smoking. They were my follow-up mechanism for people who had already quit, most by having sat through my classes. The videos on the other hand are the real content covered in the classes. I always saw the articles as an adjunctive support mechanism for the classes, as opposed to the classes being an adjunctive support mechanism for the articles.

As mentioned, the letters that comprised the book Never Take Another Puff were originally meant to be sent out over time, weeks, months and years after the people had quit smoking.
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]

Here are a couple of strings that give the history of the letters, and book:

The "never take another puff" letters
Does Joel have any books?

Just within the past couple of weeks we copied all of the videos we have had for over four years now at the www.whyquit.com/joel site to YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/joelspitz.  Also, I recorded a number of new videos at that site too.  I just want to be sure that all new readers at the site know about these new resources. 

As far as for the coughing and trigger issues, here are a number of strings addressing these two concerns:

Videos regarding coughing and lung issues:

Learning how to inhale
The Palmolive bottle demonstration
See how smoking destroys the lungs
Lung Cancer

Videos addressing thoughts and craves:

The fear of quitting smoking
"I have to smoke when I talk on the phone"
"Will I ever stop thinking of cigarettes?"
Avoiding situations where you used to smoke
"I can't drink alcohol without a cigarette"

Strings covering these issues:

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Thoughts that seem worse than the first days urges[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"You said it would get better. It's just as bad as the day I quit smoking!"[/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The Urge Hits![/font][/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Why am I still having "urges?"[/font][/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][size=100][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, ... g Triggers[/font][/font]

[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][size=100][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, ... g Triggers[/font][/font][/size]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]

[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Cilia[/font]

[/font][/size]

tagsgirl
tagsgirl

10:22 PM - Jan 14, 2011 #4

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

I was lucky I was never one of those smokers who had the cough and recurrent bronchitis. I did have to clear my throat a lot. I would get froggy when I was talking to people. One of my fears was that I would end up sounding like what I called "an old dragon lady". I am pleased that in my case the gunk went away with the cigarettes four months ago! I am allergic to most everything so it would not surprise me if I was allergic to half the contents of those poison sticks anyway.
The important thing we have in common though is that we both made the decision to free ourselves of a nasty active addiction. We will always be addicts, one dose or so away from full blown addiction. The good news is that with time, a relatively short time, you will feel some relief, feel freedom and feel what you are supposed to feel like free of all those chemicals. Keep up the good work, I am glad you can see the difference in how you feel already!

Terri - Free and Healing for Four Months, Nine Days, 15 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 5 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1580 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $317.66.

2:34 AM - Jan 15, 2011 #5

Welcome again, MSE, and congratulations on your great escape!  That endless cycle of feedings have stopped and things great and small are happening!

Pace yourself, MSE, as recovery is a journey not an event.  While the daily challenges diminish over time, getting totally comfortable with the "one day at a time" focus needed to safely deliver you here to Easy Street with us is a skill.   Right now, all that matters is here and now, success during the next few minutes, keeping a firm grip on reality.   This is your gift to "you" MSE.   We hope you'll hold it close and protect it as though your life depends on it.   Still just one rule ... none today!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x11)

chasnfireflies
chasnfireflies

5:44 PM - Jan 15, 2011 #6

Welcome MSE and congratulations on your new found freedom! Keep reading your way through the cravings. Those pesky psychological triggers. For me having a cigarette was like the punctuation mark on the end of my activities like cleaning or eating. Eventually I found that other things took the place of smoking a cigarette and my body is so much healthier for it.
Keep up the wonderful work and just remember to NTAP! :) - Kerry (smoke free since 2/10/09)

GS
GS

6:11 PM - Jan 15, 2011 #7

Hi MSE,

I see you and I quit on the same date. Our time zones might be a little different, but it is nice to know a fellow quitter at about the same stage as me . . .

I don’t have wise words, yet, but . . . Good Luck! 

It is getting easier one day at a time, for me.

mseincolasc
mseincolasc

2:51 PM - Jan 16, 2011 #8

thanks, GS, and good luck to you too!  We CAN do this!!!

thanks for the encouragement, chasnfireflies, JohnP, Joel, terri, and jeffrey!!

terri, i too did not like the "tone" that my voice has taken on, you know, deep and scratchy.  does anyone know if this diminishes somewhat, or are we "scarred" for life with a smoker's voice?

5:41 PM - Jan 17, 2011 #9

mseincolasc wrote:
terri, i too did not like the "tone" that my voice has taken on, you know, deep and scratchy.  does anyone know if this diminishes somewhat, or are we "scarred" for life with a smoker's voice?
Excellent question, MSE.  As you know, we cannot tell any member the reason for their deep sounding voice or whether or not the condition will improve with time after quitting.  There are many possible reasons, some rather serious, which the skilled ENT physician will be able to diagnose and hopefully treat.

What we do know is that Reinke's edema is very common in smokers, especially females. "Reinke's edema, also known as polypoid degeneration, is the swelling of the vocal folds due to fluid collection."  It "causes the vocal folds to swell bilaterally, giving them an uneven, sac-like appearance" and resulting in a "low-pitched, husky voice" (source).   While smoking cessation is always recommended, apparently rarely will the long-term smoker's natural voice return after quitting. 

John (Gold x11)

Perturbation and Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis of Adult Male Smokers.
Journal of Voice. 2010 May 15. [Epub ahead of print]

Chai L, Sprecher AJ, Zhang Y, Liang Y, Chen H, Jiang JJ.

Shanghai EENT Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China.

Abstract OBJECTIVE: Smoking results in a voice change, and the perception by smokers of an abnormal voice may encourage quitting behavior. Moreover, a disordered voice is often the first sign of vocal pathology. Efforts to evaluate voice have focused on classical acoustic analysis; however, nonlinear dynamic analysis has been shown to be a reliable objective method for the evaluation of voice. We compare the discriminatory ability of these two methods when applied to normal and smokers' voices.

STUDY DESIGN: Prospective study.

METHODS: The study included 73 subjects, 36 nonsmokers and 37 smokers. A segment of sustained vowel production was obtained from each subject. Acoustic dimension and correlation dimension (D2) analyses were applied to the data. Results were compared with a Mann-Whitney rank sum test, logistic regression, and receiver operating characteristics (ROC) analysis.

RESULTS: D2 values for smokers were significantly higher than D2 values for nonsmokers (P<0.001). Jitter and shimmer analysis showed higher values for these parameters among smokers. Logistic regression indicated a higher predictive power with D2, and ROC analysis found no significant difference between the analysis methods.

DISCUSSION: This study indicated that D2 is highly sensitive to changes associated with smoking and has the potential to be implemented clinically as an indicator of abnormal voice. Further research could focus on using nonlinear dynamic analysis to create a normative database, producing standards for monitoring voice changes caused by cigarette smoking.

Copyright © 2010 The Voice Foundation. Published by Mosby, Inc. All rights reserved.
PMID: 20472394 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

PubMed Link:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20472394

J Laryngol Otol. 1990 Aug;104(8):626-8.

Smoking cessation in chronic Reinke's oedema.

Højslet PE, Moesgaard-Nielsen V, Karlsmose M.

Department of ENT, Aalborg Sygehus, Denmark.

Abstract

In evaluating the long term results of surgical treatment of Reinke's oedema, there has been found to be a high incidence of recurrence. The recurrence rate is significantly lower amongst those patients who gave up smoking after treatment. A group of patients with chronic Reinke's oedema were followed for six months. Maximum efforts were made to help the patients to stop smoking. Twenty-nine patients entered the study, but only eight of them (28 per cent) refrained from smoking; all were women (39-70 years) and all experienced reduced discomfort, although none of the voices were restored to normal. Diffuse laryngitis disappeared completely, but the oedema did not disappear entirely in any patient. Before treatment of chronic Reinke's oedema patients must be well advised and informed, and if surgery is decided upon, they must be urged most strongly to stop smoking, if they wish to enhance the possibility of satisfactory long-term results.

PMID: 2230558 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PubMed Link:    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2230558
Last edited by JohnPolito on 5:45 PM - Jan 17, 2011, edited 1 time in total.