Just for Today

paula anne
paula anne

November 13th, 2010, 2:38 pm #1

This has been great.  Withdrawal has not been that bad though I have had some powerful urges.  Am now with smoking boyfriend and am watching his smokes intently.  I need to keep letting these urges pass and to continue to keep my guard up.
Last edited by paula anne on December 12th, 2010, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 13th, 2010, 2:58 pm #2

Watching others smoke[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Another slant on how to watch people smoke[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Negative support from others[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Buddy Systems[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Quitting for Others[/font]
My Support Group is Responsible!
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Motivating Others[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Related videos: 

[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
Video TitleDial UpHigh SpeedMP3 AudioLengthCreated
Telling others that you have quit smoking2.53mb7.58mb4.07mb08:5710/17/06
Talking to others about not smoking5.60mb16.8mb6.92mb15:1311/19/06
Dealing with people who try to undercut your quit6.52mb19.5mb8.05mb17:4211/12/06
[/font][/size]

John Touch
John Touch

November 13th, 2010, 5:49 pm #3

You are doing great. I have just finished my fourth week and believe me it is worth it. I smoked for 34 years and I feel much better since I started my quit. Just remember that ultimately you are quitting for you because you are worth it and along the way you may just be the inspiration for others around you to quit also. You should be proud and determined and just remember to Never Take Another Puff. Best of wishes to you and all who have decided to take their lives back.

wheelsrob
wheelsrob

November 13th, 2010, 6:15 pm #4

You are in the right place Paula! I spend as much time wandering around these forums as I can. It is all good stuff and you are bound to find exactly what you need to get you through whatever trying moment or urge you have. Above all else, don't take a puff!

Maurice
Maurice

November 13th, 2010, 6:42 pm #5

It's always wonderful to see another person joining us! Thanks for posting, you made my day.

I don't have a lot of time to "zing" in any "pearls of wisdom". Don't have any to be truthful.

I see Joel has responded to you, along with others.

Read the links presented, they will help.

Please continue to post. We will be following you.

mo

dogdollar
dogdollar

November 13th, 2010, 7:07 pm #6

Hi, Paula,
You have made a couple of great decisions...1.) quitting nicotine forever, and 2.) using this site to help you and educate you on the process.
I have always been the kind of person that would find a way to justify things to myself, and this site just de-mystifies the whole process of addiction to the point where the logic is just irrefutable.
I am on Day 20 now and smoked a couple of packs a day for 30+ years. I am breathing better, I have more energy, and my sense of small and taste have returned. I wish I could say I haven't experienced some strong urges, but the truth is I have...I have just learned to ride them out and accept the reality that as a former addict, these urges will happen from time to time...although hopefully they will become fewer and farther apart as time goes by. Like they say, i can't hope to ever be as strong as nicotine is, so I will just have to rely on being smarter, and accept the reality that I can never take another puff or I will instantly revert to being the self-destructive, self-loathing addict I once was. It's just that simple. When I get an urge, I shake my head in amazement sometimes at how much power that drug has, even after several weeks.....but I consider these urges as I would dark spirits.......ugly, unwelcome nuisances that just pop up occasionally to waste my time and annoy me. They only have as much control over me as I let them have at this point, and that is exactly NONE.
I'm done !!
DD

paula anne
paula anne

November 15th, 2010, 1:05 am #7

thanks for everyone's responses.  I really appreciate the support.  It is now day 6 and I need to keep dodging the urges.  I am going to read all the articles Joel suggested for now -- I think I've read some of them but I can stand the repetition.  I just have to keep telling myself to never take another puff.  (I am tempted by thoughts of just one puff).

November 15th, 2010, 1:21 am #8

Video TitleDial UpHigh SpeedMP3LengthCreated

What is your quit smoking mantra?8.60mb14.0mb5.79mb12:4711/17/06

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Fixating on a cigarette.[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I want one...[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"Just think about something else."[/font]
[/font]

[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The Urge Hits![/font][/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Why am I still having "urges?"[/font][/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][size=100][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, ... g Triggers[/font][/font][/size]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][size=100][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, ... g Triggers[/font][/font][/size]

paula anne
paula anne

November 15th, 2010, 4:09 am #9

Thanks Joel.  I have been saying NTAP to myself for days now.  I know you are absolutely right about about that in my thinking, rational brain.  There is this little irrational part of my brain that keeps popping up and saying oh, just one puff or just one cigarette.  Luckily I do something like write in this journal or read someone else's and the urge will pass.  Plus the urge is stupid.  There is no way I can smoke one and get away with it -- if I ever could have done that I wouldn't have become a 25 cigarette a day smoker for 35 years despite the social ostrization and that awful smoker's cough.  I am so ashamed of being a smoker.  I just need to never take another puff.

SamGee
SamGee

November 15th, 2010, 4:24 am #10

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Before you know it you'll be at 3 weeks-free like me!

Think about the Liberty! The Freedom!! The Independence!!! 

paula anne
paula anne

November 15th, 2010, 5:04 am #11

I think I have couch potato triggers.  Sitting watching TV creates more urges than being out and about.  This was my prime time smoking.  At boyfriends house (he is still smoking but I have high hopes he promises to try to quit on National Smokeout Day) I am used to relaxing and smoking and it is difficult to think of other things to do to relax without smoking.  Urges are getting further and further apart but I think I'm in a bit of a rut

dogdollar
dogdollar

November 17th, 2010, 6:03 pm #12

paula anne wrote:..... (I am tempted by thoughts of just one puff).

Well, I would imagine that makes you exactly like all the rest of us that have quit....it happens. Just don't give in to it.
I'll tell you something that works for me......hold your pointer and middle finger together just like you used to do when you had a cigarette between them. Now, press the two fingers up to your lips tight enough to create some resistance while you draw in air with your cheeks, just like you were taking a puff on a cigarette. Now remove the two fingers and inhale deeply, just like you are pulling the smoke into your lungs, then exhale, again like you are smoking. This will give you a nice "fresh air" hit that not only will help you to appreciate breathing clean air, it helps overcome those urges to smoke. Try it !!
DD

Puffanomore
Puffanomore

November 18th, 2010, 12:32 am #13

Hi Paula, I do sympathise with you about sitting on the sofa - your "couch potato triggers", I do miss smoking now that the winter evenings are here and I spend more time indoors. But Whyquit taught me to be honest about my addiction so - honestly - I used to smoke in the sitting room, in my bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, outside in the car, working in the garden or walking the dogs, in fact anywhere and everywhere I was legally allowed to! So it's not the sofa as such that is the trigger for me, just the time of year - what others call "seasonal" triggers.
I was chatting today with my friend who quit 10 weeks ago and she has been very tempted recently by the thought of just one puff. We both know people who do literally have just one cigarette on special occasions (they normally used to beg one from us!) but we also know that we are not like them because we are nicotine addicts. One cigarette for us would mean one packet - one carton - many more moments of guilt, shame, disappointment etc, maybe even smoking related disease and death, or the prospect of having to quit again in the future if we were lucky enough to be able. No thanks, we'll hold the ground we've won. It's much easier to stay stopped  than have to stop again - who would ever want to go through those first 3 days of withdrawals again?
Hang in there, stay strong, don't listen to the junkie voices, they'll soon shut up if no-one pays any attention to them. It all gets easier in time and living free from my addiction is just wonderful. Best wishes to you, Margaret - Quit on 1st May, 200 days ago. Haven't smoked 4,000 cigs, thus saving € 1,640.

paula anne
paula anne

November 19th, 2010, 2:43 pm #14

Thank you for all the encouragement.  I really appreciate it and hope to make it as far as you have.  For me it is just 10 days now and I am identifying my triggers.  One is boredom -- I smoked when I had any down time.  Another is if I have an argument, however minor, with my boyfriend.  For some reason that sends me off to smoke like crazy (I didn't but wow).  The other triggers I seem to handle better like after dinner, with coffee, driving, certain places, etc.  I know that if I don't give in I'll eventually be free of this smelly gross habit for good.

JW
JW

November 19th, 2010, 4:25 pm #15

I will not smoke today.   I am an ex-smoker and recovering nicotine drug addict.  If I have a bad day I know it is part of the healing, not a setback. 

"I know that if I don't give in I'll eventually be free of this smelly gross habit for good."

Hi Patti,

You are already free of this smelly gross habit for good.  You just need to see it and have faith in yourself.

10 days is a big step.  All the nicotine has gone from your body.  Your craves will lessen with each day.  Sure there may be hard days, but equally there may not, but you can face each one and know you are free.  I spent many days on this site in my first two weeks and never regretted one single second of that time in reading and posting to support my quit. 

Everyone here is behind you and knows you can succeed.

John (JW)

If you want to quit, surround yourself with successful quitters.  After 1 month, 2 weeks, 6 days, 2 hours, 24 mins without a fix, I have successfully turned my back on 1503 nicotine providers which would have cost me £490.73.  In doing so, I have gained an extra 5 days, 5 hours, 15 minutes to feel good about life.

paula anne
paula anne

November 21st, 2010, 1:57 am #16

I know I don't want to go back to smoking but feel like I need to do something when I get the urge to smoke.  I have used gum, soda, distracting myself, deep breaths, getting up and moving, doing crosswords.  Deep breaths work the best, inhaling just like I would a cigarette.  But the urge comes and wham!  I want something. 

I think about smoking and I really don't want to smoke.  It is a filthy, smelly, disgusting addiction with deadly consequences.  Smoking is expensive and inconvenient.  I hate the addiction I have yet I continue to get cravings.  This will get better with time; I really believe it. 

But I have been a smoker since my early teens; now I am 50 years old and do not know how to live without cigarettes.  I push past one urge after another.  I don't know why I ever smoked because it is so stupid.  The only benefit of smoking is making the cravings stop.  I just wish they didn't sell cigarettes and make them so easily available.

This is my second post; my first was when I was five days free of nicotine.  Now it is 11 days.  I really appreciate having this board to read through, advise and encourage me.  I don't know why quitting is so hard when smoking is so bad and has no good points at all.

JW
JW

November 21st, 2010, 2:22 am #17

I will not smoke today.   I am an ex-smoker and recovering nicotine drug addict.  If I have a bad day I know it is part of the healing, not a setback. 

Hi Patti,

Someone will probably be along soon to move this post to the end of your original string, so all your posts are together.

I was surprised at how many 40+ year ex-smokers are here.  I started age 12 and stopped 46 years later with no more than a 24 hour break in all that time.  I didn't know how to stop until I came here and found the support and (more importantly) the information I needed.

The point is, it's not how long we have been smokers or how many we used to smoke each day, but more a question of realising we are not different nor are we unique.  We are all ex-smokers, addicted to nicotine, taking things one day at a time.  Some will inevitably find this new freedom more difficult to manage than others, but you have already achieved so much in reaching 11 days, a fantastic achievement.  With no nicotine left in your body, it would be a pity to start putting it back again now.

Whatever the struggle, I think it's worth it just to breath normally again and enjoy life without being a prisoner to nicotine.  Keep going, one day, one hour, one minute at a time.  Make that one second at a time if you have to but NTAP.  It really does get easier.

John (JW)

If you want to quit, surround yourself with successful quitters.  After 1 month, 3 weeks, 0 days, 12 hours, 22 mins without a fix, I have successfully turned my back on 1545 nicotine providers which would have cost me £504.59.  In doing so, I have gained an extra 5 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes to feel good about life.

cavalier
cavalier

November 21st, 2010, 2:45 am #18

Hey Paula, hang in there.  It will get easier and easier every day.  I'm 5 weeks 4 days now and I haven't had a craving all day.  Maybe a thought about a cigarette but not a craving.  Yesterday a gentlemen asked me if He could bum a smoke from me.  I proudly said, Sorry but I don't smoke.  It felt good.  I know I will have more craving down the road but we will get through it. This site has been very helpful to me.

paula anne
paula anne

November 21st, 2010, 2:45 am #19

Thanks JW.  Didn't realize I was posting incorrectly, it was just that my first post seemed dated because it was titled as 5 days without a cigarette or something like that.  I appreciate your support and am very impressed that you have been nicotine free for as long as you have.  Keep up the good work and thank you for encouraging me.

November 21st, 2010, 3:16 am #20

[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"Just think about something else."
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Fixating on a cigarette.
[/font]

Who wants to go back to smoking?
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF] Smoker's vow

[/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The Urge Hits![/font]
[/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Thoughts that seem worse than the first days urges[/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Why am I still having "urges?"[/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Smoking Triggers[/font]

paula anne
paula anne

November 21st, 2010, 3:24 am #22

Thanks Cavalier -- I appreciate the support and telling me that the urges do dissipate over time.  I believe you completely and feel it happening to me but when they hit, they hit.  Keep up the good work on your quit and thank you for encouraging me.

November 21st, 2010, 3:30 am #23

I just attached links to a number of articles addressing issues you have raised in this string. 

When a manager comes along they will merge this entire thread into your original journal. Here is a link to the thread explaining how to use print journals: How to make your first post

November 21st, 2010, 3:35 am #24

paula anne
paula anne

November 21st, 2010, 4:31 am #25

Thanks for the additional posted links Joel.  I have read or am in the process of reading each one.  I truly appreciate your support.