Ouija
Ouija

March 27th, 2009, 2:46 am #1

Hi,

I'm Tony Cecil.

I was Ouija7 on Freedom From Tobacco.
I'm Ouija on Freedom From Nicotine.
I quit October 10, 2003.

This thread is just a place for me to journal my personal thoughts and experiences on nicotine cessation and a place to link to my favorite articles and threads on here.

I'm grateful for finding Joel's Library and John's support group in 2003. The only places I'm aware of where relapse isn't viewed as part of the quitting process. I had relapsed a few times prior to finding Freedom From Tobacco & Whyquit.com, before I even knew what relapsing was.

I learned the Law of Addiction, how any and every nicotine dose just perpetuates the addictive process. To break free nicotine use must end completely. I learned that there is no legitimate excuse for relapse despite what friends & family, so-called experts, my own junkie thinking, or even doctors might say to the contrary.

Excuses are for the uneducated- Those who don't understand how addiction works.

Freedom insists it's members be nicotine free for 3 days before joining. Thereafter, anyone who relapses loses their posting privileges permanently. Wow, this may seem harsh but was the kind of tough love support I desperately needed at the time.

Not only is this policy good for your own personal quit but you have to be able to trust the people who are instructing you on what to do. Where else can you find an army of ex-smoker volunteers who are 100% successful at quitting nicotine? A valuable resource indeed.

Perhaps you've read the abysmal quit smoking success rates quoted by other websites and support groups. Put these statistics out of your mind.

There are more former smokers in the United States than current smokers, which proves quitting is certainly doable. Remember though, there's only one group of people who are 100% successful. Those who quit and then never ingest nicotine again.

If you never take another nicotine laced gum, puff, dip, or chew, etc you can not relapse and are assured success. This is best accomplished one day at time because the initial quitting process can feel uncomfortable and overwhelming. The best attitude to have is, "From the time I wake up to the moment I fall asleep, I will not use nicotine today."

The last point I want to make is how quitting actually feels. I was fearful when I first thought about quitting because I believed the discomforts of quitting was what it felt like to be an ex-smoker.

Nonsense.

I'm so thankful to have found Joel's Articles and people with attitudes like, "I'd rather be an ex-smoker who occasionally thinks about a cigarette than a current smoker who craves them all day long."

Actually life is much better as an ex-smoker.

Less stressful, more relaxing, and just easier. Withdrawal wasn't pleasant but life afterward is. It was important for me to realize this while quitting. All I had at first was faith. Freedom's long term ex-smokers were telling me to hold onto my quit, that it gets better.

Now I know, because I'm one of them.

BJC
BJC

March 27th, 2009, 5:49 am #2

AMEN TO THAT!