ThePanster
ThePanster

March 25th, 2009, 12:26 am #26

Looks like everyone is wishing you a Happy Greening!

Congratulations!! I know it was a lovely day of Freedom, and I wish you many more just like it. NTAP!

Amanda

I have been free for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 6 Days, 22 hours and 56 minutes (55 days). I have saved $148.96 by not smoking 839 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 9 hours and 49 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/27/2009 9:30 PM

karebear509
karebear509

March 25th, 2009, 12:32 pm #27

Congrats on your greening!! Keep on going, you are doing great.
Last edited by karebear509 on March 25th, 2009, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWZ
CWZ

March 25th, 2009, 12:50 pm #28

One Month already? So very cooool! Congratulations on Green. Most of all congratulations on being free from the influence of nicotine. To stay free and healing just make sure keep that commitment on your way to Bronze to Never Take Another Puff!

CW "Gold"

aryeh36.FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow
aryeh36.FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow

March 25th, 2009, 5:38 pm #29

The road from QUIT to GREEN
Is a tough road to travel
Congratulations.
You have made it.
The road from GREEN to BRONZE
Is a smoother road.
Enjoy it.
It gets better and better
Aryeh
10 months 2 days

sirensong
sirensong

March 25th, 2009, 8:27 pm #30

Hey guys! Thank you all for your support and congratulations! I was checking my email today and i had the following email in my inbox. It came from being on an email list from having taken part of one of those promotions (back when i was a smoker) where people come to bars and give out free packs of cigarettes in exchange for your email address and such.

I found it kind of funny somehow and just kind of ridiculous...

Dear **** :

Do you want the cigarettes and other tobacco products you use to taste like "lard"?

That's what supporters of the bill that would give the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

authority over regulating cigarettes say they want to do.

The bill would give the FDA the right to make virtually any change they wanted to in the way

tobacco products are made, flavored, packaged, advertised and priced. They could make products taste terrible,

and jack up the cost even more.

Adults who use tobacco products NEED TO CALL their legislator TODAY to try to stop this bill.

Call [phone number] (free call) and you can be connected to YOUR legislator's office.

All you need to know is your zip code and the operator will connect you to the right office.

Or you can go to [web address omitted] and send an email to your legislator -

all you need to enter is your zip code and you'll be connected to the right office.

Tell your legislator to vote AGAINST Representative Waxman's bill that would give the FDA the authority to regulate tobacco.

Just thought I would share!
Imagine putting all that energy into protecting the "taste" of a cigarette. eegads!

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!
It feels good to be green :)

sirensong
4 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, 53 minutes, 42 seconds smoke free
Last edited by sirensong on March 25th, 2009, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe J free
Joe J free

March 25th, 2009, 9:05 pm #31

Congratulations on reaching Green Siren Song. Yep, those slick marketers use any means they can to keep you using their deadly product. Funny you mention taste. They really know they don't need to worry about taste (or cost for that matter). Here's what they really think: Nicotine addiction in the tobacco industry's own words - The Sine Qua Non of Smoking

You may also want to have a look at the forum's
Courtesies & Rules as they relate to some parts of the information you pasted into your post.
Last edited by Joe J free on March 25th, 2009, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BJC
BJC

March 26th, 2009, 4:29 am #32

Congrats on going green! Every trial you withstand makes you stronger for the next one. Keep up the good work.

CWZ
CWZ

March 26th, 2009, 1:57 pm #33

Keep on staying Free by making sure you Never Take Another Puff!
CW

sandrajo
sandrajo

March 26th, 2009, 3:11 pm #34

Hey sirensong nice to see you here this is by far the best gift you will every give yourself or your loved ones. I don't have any scientific just my "feeling" which sounds kind of like what you are leaning toward. I think we learned to deal with stress by smoking and that is what our brain wants to do right now and I stress right now because you will find the better way to deal with stress and anger and all those other emotions we kept stilted with our smoking. It is not easy but it is do-able one day at a time and I can tell you again from my experience there are many many more effecient ways to deal with the bad emotions. On a side note you also get to feel the good emotions stronger too because you don't have to share the celebration with your cigarettes. So the pride I felt in going back to school after 30 years. The love I feel for my loved one is also that much more pronounced. Hang in there I am not sure how to send a link on this new site but if you can find the link to baby steps or your executive assistant they are both great.

Have fun, Enjoy the journey as much as the destinaton. You ARE worth it.

Sandy 3 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 1 hor and 11 mntes a.k.a. 1,153 days. fe s amazng now that there s not smoke in my way.

March 26th, 2009, 5:44 pm #35

sandrajo wrote:
Hey sirensong nice to see you here this is by far the best gift you will every give yourself or your loved ones. I don't have any scientific just my "feeling" which sounds kind of like what you are leaning toward. I think we learned to deal with stress by smoking and that is what our brain wants to do right now and I stress right now because you will find the better way to deal with stress and anger and all those other emotions we kept stilted with our smoking. It is not easy but it is do-able one day at a time and I can tell you again from my experience there are many many more effecient ways to deal with the bad emotions. On a side note you also get to feel the good emotions stronger too because you don't have to share the celebration with your cigarettes. So the pride I felt in going back to school after 30 years. The love I feel for my loved one is also that much more pronounced. Hang in there I am not sure how to send a link on this new site but if you can find the link to baby steps or your executive assistant they are both great.

Have fun, Enjoy the journey as much as the destinaton. You ARE worth it.

Sandy 3 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 1 hor and 11 mntes a.k.a. 1,153 days. fe s amazng now that there s not smoke in my way.

From the string I have to smoke because of all my stress
Joel's Reinforcement Library

I Have to Smoke
Because of All My Stress!

Stress is considered a cause for smoking by many people. Actually, smoking is a cause of stress. Recent correspondence dealt with reasons people give for going back to smoking: social situations, parties, alcohol consumption and stress. This month I wish to amplify on stress.

In January of 1979, Chicago and vicinity was devastated by a major blizzard. Heavy snows fell just after the New Year crippling the area. Additional snowfall continued throughout the week. During this time period I was barraged with phone calls from participants of the November, 1978 clinic claiming to be terribly nervous, upset and anxious from "not smoking." Curiously, most of them were feeling well during the month of December. They had occasional urges which lasted only seconds and were quite easy to overcome. What they were experiencing in January was different. Many felt that they were on the verge of cracking up. To them life was "just no good" without their cigarettes. Was the anxiety they were now experiencing really a side effect from giving up smoking?

To any outside observer the answer to the mysterious intensification of perceived withdrawal was obvious. In fact, if our ex-smokers listened to radio or television or read the front page of any newspaper, they would have encountered a story on cabin fever. By simply comparing their symptoms with those accompanying cabin fever they would understand what was happening.

Attributing the anxiety to smoking cessation was transference of blame. In fact, they were having a normal reaction to an abnormal situation - confinement due to the blizzard. They would have had the same anxiety whether or not they had given up cigarettes.

The above story illustrates an atypical time period in which numerous people experience similar complaints. In everyday life inherent problems exist. Work, family, friends, and money can all contribute to daily distress. Ex-smokers often think that if they just take a cigarette during a stressful episode the situation will be solved. For example, consider a person who finds he has a flat tire in a parking lot during a freezing rain. When encountering this kind of misfortune, the ex-smoker's first reaction often is, "I need a cigarette." What will actually solve this problem is changing the tire, and driving off in a warm car. What would a cigarette do to help this situation? It only makes the person see the flat tire longer and freeze more. This adds up to greater frustration. The first puff will probably reinforce the addiction to cigarettes which is a much greater crisis than the flat tire ever was. In fact, taking the first puff almost always results in a bigger problem than the crisis that "caused" them to take the puff. Even in a real catastrophe, such as a death in the family, injuries, illnesses, flooding resulting in major property loss, bankruptcy and so on, a cigarette will not solve the problem. It will just add another major problem to the originally bad situation.

Remember, smoking cannot solve problems of daily living. No matter what the problem, there is a more effective way of solving it than smoking. In fact, a smoker's health risks are a real problem that can only be solved if they - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

While most smokers actually believe that smoking was an effective stress treatment strategy (a drug that calmed them down), when it really comes down to it, smoking never truly calmed them down. All it did was administered nicotine alleviated nicotine withdrawal that was induced by stress. The illustration and text below covers this point. The one true step that people are doing here to control their stress is getting rid of a product that should cause any thinking person a lot of worry and to stop the vicious cycle of drug feeding and drug withdrawal by always knowing now to never take another puff!

Joel
In the illustration above you can see on the left how a non-smokers reacts to stress. Without it they are happy and comfortable, when encountering stress they lose this comfort and depending on its severity they can get either mildly annoyed or really upset. The resolution of the stress will normally bring the non-smoker back to the original state of comfort, after a little time of cooling down of course.
Smokers are much more complex. Stress has an affect on all people--it makes the urine acidic. Both smokers and non-smokers experience this phenomena. In non-smoker smokers, the urine acidity has no real visible or perceivable effects--smokers are much more complicated. After the initial stress a smoker will feel like a non-smoker encountering stress, for a few seconds. But then the delineation occurs, the smoker's nicotine level depletes because of the urine acidity induced by the stress, and the smoker is kicked into a drug withdrawal state. The smoker has four ways to deal with the situation now.
First, the smoker can just smoke a cigarette. Well low and behold if the smoker does this he or she will feel "better." He or she will not feel good; he or she just won't be feeling withdrawal for the moment but still be feeling the initial stress. In essence, he or she will feel like a non-smoker under stress, not great, but not in withdrawal either.
The second way a smoker can handle the stress is to solve it and also smoke a cigarette. This results in one happy smoker. No stress now and no withdrawal, life is good at the moment. The feeling of bliss is basically the same feeling a non-smoker has who resolves his or her stress.
But then there are the other two scenarios. The smoker can solve the problem but not smoke. Here is the kicker here, the problem is resolved but the smoker is still in withdrawal, the nicotine level has dropped and problem resolution has no way to stop the nicotine depletion, only a cigarette can do that.
The worst of all situations is the smoker who cannot solve the problem and also cannot smoke a cigarette. This is a miserable situation to ever be in. You normally don't want to be around a smoker in this situation let alone being one yourself. Many smokers find themselves facing this dilemma daily since many jobs and social settings do not allow smoking yet constantly force the smoker to face stresses.
When you quit smoking these last four reactions to stress become a thing of the past. You still face stress, but you no longer have to face drug withdrawals induced by it. In essence you deal with stress in a totally different way when you don't have chronic drug withdrawals exaggerating it.
To stay in the position of being able to handle stresses with greater clarity and minimal discomfort always know that no matter what the stress, to avoid it having any long lasting and life threatening complications always remember to never take another puff!
Joel
Related videos:
Video Title Dial Up High Speed MP3 Audio Length Added
"I am climbing the walls because I quit smoking" 2.69mb 8.59mb 3.78mb 08:23 10/18/06
"I'll be a nervous wreck forever if I quit smoking" 3.87mb 11.55mb 4.77mb 10:30 11/29/06
Why do smokers smoke? 2.65mb 5.70mb 8.31mb 18:08 11/07/06

and from How Would You Deal With the Following Situations?
How would you deal with
the following situations?

Your 2-year-old is having a temper tantrum because he wants a new toy. Would you;
  1. Leave him alone until he calmed down
  2. Give into his demands
  3. Give him a tranquilizer
Your 7-year-old is anxious about next weeks' Little League tryouts. Would you;
  1. Assure him that he can do it
  2. Practice with him and tell him to try his best
  3. Give him a valium every three hours until the game
Your 14-year-old is crushed when she is not asked to the sophomore dance. Would you;
  1. Fix her up with one of your friend's children
  2. Tell her to go anyway
  3. Give her cocaine to pick up her spirits
Your 15-year-old is self-conscious about being 5 pounds overweight. Would you;
  1. Cook lower calorie meals
  2. Enroll her in a diet or exercise program
  3. Put her on appetite suppressants

All of these young people are experiencing what adults would consider "growing pains." A little time, patience and positive reassuring will help them overcome all of these difficult situations.

The fact is, as long as anyone continues to develop physically, emotionally, intellectually, professionally or spiritually, they too will experience growing pains. Adults are prone to hurt, pain, sadness, depression and anxiety just as children are. These feelings are all necessary if we wish to continue to develop our minds and bodies. Without such growth, we would not experience happiness, satisfaction, contentment or purpose to their full extent.

The third choice in each of the above situations was, of course, ridiculous. We would not subject our children to chemical hazards to overcome such trivial problems. However, as adults we are fully capable of practicing such dangerous behaviors for our own relief. Take cigarette smoking as an example.

When you were still a smoker, how many times would you say you had to smoke because you were lonely and sad without your friendly cigarettes? How many times did you say that you had to smoke because of all the stress in your life? How many times did you tell yourself that many social activities were just not fun without your cigarettes? How many times did you say that you would gain too much weight if you quit smoking? All you were saying was that you needed nicotine, a drug, to overcome everyday life problems.

It was not until you were off cigarettes that you realized you could overcome such problems without smoking, and in most cases more effectively than when you were a smoker. Once you had quit you realized just how much a source of stress the habit was to you. You were caught by a socially unacceptable and physically deadly addiction and were quite often aware of it. This is when you had the desire to give them up, but thought the pain of quitting too great to even attempt it.

Even today, you probably still desire an occasional cigarette. It may be in a stressful situation, at a party after a few drinks, or at a time when you find yourself alone with nothing better to do. The fact is, there is nothing worse you can do than take a cigarette. One cigarette will not help you over the problem. In reality, it will create a new problem, a disastrous situation of a reinforced addiction, with all the physical dangers and associated dirty habits.

So, next time you have the desire for a cigarette, sit back and take a few moments to reflect upon what you are setting yourself up for. Do you need that drug? Do you want that addiction? If not, simply remember - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

© Joel Spitzer 1982, 2000