A Celebration of Hope - May 13, 1999 for Zep : )

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

May 14th, 2001, 9:23 am #1

A celebration of hope!
Zep asked that we didn't make a fuss over his two year quit anniversary. He was afraid of taking time from our newbies. But geesh, two years of freedom is a lot to celebrate. Today is not the anniversary day of his quit but the day he made his first plea for help. You will see from his first post below that today we can celebrate HOPE. What better way to help a newbie. How could I resist......back on May 13, 1999 a guy named Zep wrote a post to a quit smoking message board stating....
"What you are doing here for each other is wonderful. But, I'm afraid that after smoking for almost 30 years and being up to almost 3 packs a day, and trying to quit and failing so so many times, that I've resigned to the fact that I shall die a smoker. Keep up the wonderful work, Zep."

After reading his words, you can imagine how we jumped to rescue him. Just two days later on May 15, 1999 Zep took his first steps to freedom. Two years later now and look at him go. Thank you, Zep, for being who you are. Once again we gather to celebrate a great victory. Sorry to make a fuss but many folks will be inspired by your glorious achievement. We can't thank you enough for your continuos devotion.
Congratulations
TWO YEARS OF FREEDOM
Breathe Deep, Hug Hard, Live Long.....
Your Freedom Family!

ZAREFAH
ZAREFAH

May 14th, 2001, 9:45 am #2

Thank you, Zep...you certainly inspired my quit...with your help and encouragement, I hope to dance and fish a few more days in my life...after 35 years of addiction I have been free for Eleven months, one week, three days, 43 minutes and 57 seconds. 6880 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,100.90. Life saved: 3 weeks, 2 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes.
Great big hugs from your sis in quit...Joy

SunshineRay
SunshineRay

May 14th, 2001, 10:01 am #3

Hey there Zep! WOW! To think you were a 3 pack a day smoker. Whew. You've come along way baby! And all of us here at Freedom are the better for it. You are not only commited to your own quit, but to all of those who quit and join Freedom! You are an inspiration to all of us. Your tough love style, warmth of spirit and fun is one of the great foundations of Freedom From Tobacco. My sincere thanks to you for remaining at Freedom to help others along this hard but worthwhile path. CONGRATUALTIONS ON ALMOST TWO YEARS... and Kudos to you Joanne for posting this. I'd put up LOTS OF GIFS but can't download them right now. Will fix problem (I hope) and come back.

AGAIN ....... CONGRATULATION ZEP ....... ON ALMOST 2 YEARS NICOTINE FREE ..... AWESOME!

SUNSHINERAY

SunshineRay
SunshineRay

May 14th, 2001, 10:35 am #4

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

TO ONE OF OUR MENTORS ........................... ZEP! YOU'RE THE BEST!

Nora Gold
Nora Gold

May 14th, 2001, 11:44 am #5

Zep, Zep, Zep!
You didn't really think this would pass by unnoticed, did you? If you hadn't put in a plea for help that day, I would not be where I am today because Freedom from tobacco would not be a reality. This is where I got the education and support to help me quit smoking. When I joined this community on the day of the 600 new members I really DID NOT think I could quit. I thought I was too old to even try. Even with so many Newbies posting you took the time to e-mail me and say it could be done. I will be forever grateful to you and for this site. Not too many of us can even dream of having such an impact on so many as this site has done. With you and Joanne starting this site so many lives have become richer and healthier. How much better encouragement could a Newbie have?
We are celebrating HOPE with you!
Hugs, Nora

amcanuck GOLD
amcanuck GOLD

May 14th, 2001, 11:53 am #6

Zep Zep Zep ,what to say, you ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was interesting to see your post from bleaker times.You really have lived our moments. Im sure that`s how you are able to relate to and guide newbies. I have learned much from you and have tried as best I can to emmulate your fine example. Congratulations and much applause at your almost 2 years.Thanks ...amcanuck

CleverD Bronze
CleverD Bronze

May 14th, 2001, 11:59 am #7

Zep,

I just wish that two years from now I could be the inspiration and guiding light behind an entire army of quitters, like you. You are a role model and a standrard for each and every one of us to live by. If all of us could teach and support as much as you have, this world will be tabacco free by 2003.

Dennis

u woman bronze
u woman bronze

May 14th, 2001, 3:33 pm #8

Zep! Congratulations!!! 2 years, oh my goodness, that must feel so good! You are such an inspiration to all of us, and for that I want to say thank you!
KTQ + NTAP!
Ursula
2 weeks 2 days 17 hours

Heike silver
Heike silver

May 14th, 2001, 4:41 pm #9

Dear Zep,

no way are we not going to celebrate your 2 years smobriety!

I am really glad to be able to read your post from way back when. You are an inspiration to all those who say it can't be done or who believe that they are just that bit more addicted than others. 60 to 0 in 1 second. Amazing.

Thank you so much for staying with us and passing on all the things you have learned.

And I VERY much like the idea of brething deep, living long and hugging VERY hard.

Heike

hannes gold
hannes gold

May 14th, 2001, 5:03 pm #10

Zep, you are the king of the quitters, so be proud of your great accomplishment & thank you for influencing me in my quit. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF & TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME - YQF - Hannes @ 3m 3w 1d & 20h of fresh air freedom.

Joel
Joel

May 14th, 2001, 7:30 pm #11

Hello Zep:
Your original post of sadness and resign to the fact that you were a smoker destined to quit really does serve as a reminder to the power and the grip of the nicotine addiction. More importantly, your success in quitting just two days later clearly illustrates the power of the human spirit to overcome the addiction.
I suspect many smokers browse here at Freedom and at Whyquit and feel the same despair that you initially felt that quitting is obviously the right thing to do but they know they can't do it. But I don't think that I have come across many people posting what you did, showing happiness for others success, gratitude for the site itself, even though it was something that couldn't help you. It shows your support and compassion even before you had anything to be grateful about. This is a testament to your caring spirit.
I am so happy that you had Joanne and others so readily available to pull you in and start you on the road to recovery. I know you must have felt great skepticism early on as to your ability to quit. Most people here probably felt it to some degree too. But you proved a valuable lesson that it is not important that you know you could quit when first starting, just that you are willing to try to quit.
Your work here at Freedom and at Whyquit has helped thousands and thousands Zep, many more than you actually see here. I know when I started looking for a place to put my materials Whyquit was referenced at almost every other site as a place to go to reinforce their members resolve to quit and stay off. You have touched the lives of many more people in many more lands than you can actually ever realize. You have left an indelible mark on the world.
Many people owe their lives to you. Many people owe having their parents and other family members and friends still with them because of your effort. These people may never have even heard of Whyquit or Freedom, but they still owe much to your efforts. Your work is special Zep. Many people quit and help save their own lives and may even influence a few others to quit and save their lives too. But you have saved countless people and continue to save more and more every day.
As you know I normally don't get into the congratulation parades of when a person reaches a certain time frame because I do think every day a person has quit is a major victory for every person, and I am always afraid if I do it for some and I then miss others, the ones missed will notice the omission. But every now and then I must break that code.
Your day is special, because it was not just a victory of your quit; it is a celebration of your work that has saved so many people the world over who have benefited from your quit and your subsequent work in ways that are immeasurable. You saved lives Zep, and continue to every day you participate, and even days when you can't, your spirit and presence is felt. You are a living and visible testament to every persons ability to quit smoking even when they think it is too late and to their ability to stay smoke free as long as they always embrace the concept to never take another puff!
I'm proud to call you my friend Zep.
Joel

Keilit Gold
Keilit Gold

May 14th, 2001, 7:48 pm #12

Zep, I wanted to add my congratulations and heartfelt thanks. Congratulations on your
wonderful victory from the nicodemon.
And thank you for all the wonderful things
you do on this board. You really are an
inspiration to all of us!
-Keilit

freeflight silver
freeflight silver

May 14th, 2001, 7:56 pm #13

Congratulations Zep!
Good Health
Much Joy
You have reached out
to all of us with
much love, you deserve
the best
yqs, Cheryl
Five months, six days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 48 seconds. 1579 cigarettes not smoked, saving $236.93. Life saved: 5 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes.

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

May 14th, 2001, 8:14 pm #14

From: [/size]Christiana (Silver) Sent: [/size]5/13/2001 11:02 PM[/size]

Hello Zep. This reminds me of how contagious your spirit for being and getting free from nicotine addiction is. It is WILD!!!!! I enjoy reading all your writings, and all the special time and effort you take for everyone. A gillion thanks, and a GREAT BIG HEART FELT CONGRATULATIONS.. yqs Christiana

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

May 14th, 2001, 8:38 pm #15

GrumpyOMrsS Gold
GrumpyOMrsS Gold

May 14th, 2001, 9:14 pm #16

YYoohoo Zep....

How could anyone not make a fuss over someone celebrating a 2 year anniversary, who founded Whyquit.com and is also the cofounder of Freedom?

Your success at conquoring a deadly addiction has also become the success of thousands and thousands of others who are reminded at whyquit.com of nicotines' ravishing effects and who have been fortunate enough to receive the guidance, tough love and support that Freedom offers. Without these two wonderful resourses, most of us would still be on a path of self destruction.

Best wishes to you for a long, happy, healthy smokefree life filled with peace and love.

yqs, Linda

Sewquilts GOLD
Sewquilts GOLD

May 14th, 2001, 9:35 pm #17

Zep you deserve to celebrate here just as all of us newbies do. You have done exactly what all of us are doing, and you have already been through what all of us are going through..
You inspire everyone of us here and you do an excellent job in keeping us all motivated and strong in our quits with all the information and sharing that you have provided for us.
I know many people who have quit using nicotine, but I don't know any of them who have dedicated their quit to help others all over the world to quit using nicotine, you are so special....and I know that GOD is holding a place for you right beside him for all that you have given to others all around the world...
Thanks for everything that you have done for me with my quit. I know that I would never have been able to quit killing myself by using nicotine if it had not been from the support and info given at this site...I will never be able to re-pay what I've taken from Freedom....
So Yes ZEP you deserve to celebrate with us....and you are not taking away from us newbies...you are continuing to inspire us by celebrating such a wonderful gift you have given yourself....

Thanks so much for all you have done for us...
YQF,
Kim

Carolyn gold
Carolyn gold

May 14th, 2001, 9:44 pm #18

I feel priviledged to share in your two year celebrations.

I can only begin to imagine how two years quit feels...........but at least now, thanks to people like you, I can begin to imagine it.

Zep you are one of life's guardian angels.

Thanks, YQS Carolyn.

Roberta GOLD
Roberta GOLD

May 14th, 2001, 9:46 pm #19

I may not say much here but THANK YOU 3457 times so far. You are a wonderful guide to escape the nicodemon with.

Roberta

freshbreath
freshbreath

May 14th, 2001, 9:46 pm #20

ZEP
What an amazing accomplishment.....!!!
This web-site and the people here have been a Godsend for me...........without its presence I dont think I would have quit
And Now each day, I feel better and more proud that I am travelling this new road of hope and resolve...
And for the first time in my life, I think, I do celebrate every day, I smell the coffee and the roses and all the smells of life and rebirth....
And for the first time ever, I spent my first Mother's Day without nicotine...and I look forward to gaining more momentum and trying to share my experience with family members who still smoke
THIS IS AN AWESOME EXPERIENC AND EVERY DAY I THANKY MY GOD FOR this opportunity and for the people here ................
THANK-YOU
CATHY
One week, six days, 8 hours, 45 minutes and 4 seconds. 267 cigarettes not smoked, saving $40.09. Life saved: 22 hours, 15 minutes.

farmer gold
farmer gold

May 14th, 2001, 9:54 pm #21

Zep, they all said it well. I just wanted to add YOU ARE THE MAN !!!

S Sweet
S Sweet

May 14th, 2001, 10:46 pm #22

zep.. i gotta tell you.. seeing that first post of yours and seeing where you came from has really done a wonder for me! I think alot of times I look at those of you with a year .. two years.. i look at you guys like these "quit smoking gods". this post made me realize where you came from .. which is where we all came from... and gave me a tremendous amount of encouragement and hope. to see where you came from and where you have gotten... its a nice reminder.

congrats on two years smokefree zep :) (((((((zep))))))))

KiimmyGOLD
KiimmyGOLD

May 14th, 2001, 11:36 pm #23

Congratulations
and
Thank you!

John Gold
John Gold

May 14th, 2001, 11:39 pm #24

Thank You! Go Newbies!!!
Thanks so much to each and every one of you. Jo, you promised! I spent yesterday afternoon watching my oldest daughter walk across a college graduation stage. It was one of those crowning lifetime moments that make you extremely thankful to just be alive, healthy and present to witness. I was in pretty bad shape two years ago. I still can't believe the degree and depth of my healing. I never in my wildest dreams thought it possible! Thanks you - each of you!
I saw hundreds of smokers yesterday and while doing so the only thing I felt was a strong desire to sit down with each of them and share the gift of hope that has shared by others with me. I saw the old me in them. I know that each of them have the ability and potential to feel a deeper sense of calmness than they can possibly imagine. But how do you convince someone who has grown accustomed to immediately satisfying even the smallest crave to endure withdrawal until complete comfort arrives? I wish I knew.
I do sincerely appreciate your kinds words but if there is anything to celebrate today it's the fact that each and every one of us have decided to replace despair with hope, ignorance with understanding and decay with healing! As Joel says, "each and every day is a major quit milestone!" If we're going to have a party then let's make sure our newbies always remain on center stage! I dedicate this celebration to them and ask that you do the same! They are us not so long ago and what they yearn for most is to hear about your average "normal" boring yet calm and comfortable day. If we only share just the occasional bad day (or symptom period ) without returning later to give them the full and complete picture then we risk robbing them of hope.
Thanks again to each and every one of you! We may have provided a place for you to come together and the materials to help you become an educated quitter, but the basic raw desire was 100% yours! This quit belongs to you, and you made the decision to pay the price for permanent comfort! Thanks! This will be you in two years newbies! You can do it!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long Freedom! YQB,
Zep : )
I have now been free and healing for 1 Year 11 Months 4 Weeks 15 Hours 36 Minutes 30 Seconds and there should be an extra 43779 cigarettes somewhere.

Suzanne T Gold
Suzanne T Gold

May 15th, 2001, 12:43 am #25

Zep...congratulations on your 2 years and thank you for "Being the change you'ld like to see in others" and then doing something so effective to help us be like you.
Fondly and with deep gratitude,
YQS Suzanne
Three months, one week, five days, 14 hours, 42 minutes and 55 seconds. 3078 cigarettes not smoked, saving $538.50. Life saved: 1 week, 3 days, 16 hours, 30 minutes.