medical follow up in the future

notamoment (gold)
notamoment (gold)

August 15th, 2001, 3:05 am #1

I'm wondering about what kind of investigations should be done for an ex-smoker over the subsequent years.

Should my doctor send me for a chest x-ray regularly?
Are there blood or other tests I should have done?

I really don't have a clue about this and frankly I am still scared to death of my elevated risk factors for a huge number of ailments aside from the dreaded cancer.

How can I find out more about this? I want to know so I can take responsibility in the future for ensuring that I protect my health as well as I can.

Thanks
Susan
Three weeks, one day, 21 hours, 14 minutes and 56 seconds. 457 cigarettes not smoked, saving $109.85.

marty (gold)
marty (gold)

August 15th, 2001, 6:23 am #2

Hiya Susan

Joel is the best qualified person to answer this. I'll simply advise you to get yourself checked up and not be afraid of what you might find out. Fear of the unknown has great destructive potential, and could do you a lot of harm. So find out and take the fear away. Also, if you do have something wrong with you, especially cancer, the sooner you find out the far better chance there is of successful treatment.

We're all in the same boat here. We all realise we may have done ourselves harm, and many of our members have already been told they have one or other of the illnesses that smoking causes. You are quite right that the responsible thing to do is to find out if we have a medical problem so that we can best protect ourselves.

BTW in my case, I had a chest X-ray and a full cardio-vascular check-up. I will have the same done again after a year (which will be 7 months from now) and I have been told that if those also give an all-clear, then the chances are that I'm OK.

Good luck

Marty
NOT A PUFF for eight months, two weeks, one day, 15 hours : 4637 cigarettes not smoked saving £996.91 : 2 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours added to my life