You can quit

You can quit

gally66
gally66

May 19th, 2008, 6:22 am #1

I will have two years on Wednesday (May 21) but need to post early. While thinking about posting I went back to some material I had written or used two years ago and realized I had come a long way, and that maybe some of these early thoughts might help someone else. The material copied below (I can't figure out how to all links - maybe its because I do not use Windows) was from my early struggle with quiting - I was just beginning the idea of No Nicotine Today. The first part is from a log I kept so I could see what was going on; the second was a post I found (by Roger(gold) on "patience" that made huge difference in my ability to get through those first several weeks.

Ex-Smoker's Log - Graham -- 2006

See letter to Graham dated May 19, 2006 written prior to quiting.

Day1: May 21:: Today is stop day; no tobacco in the morning, had tough time immediately after breakfast as I unconsciously headed down the hallway to my den where I always stored my can of Skoal. Later in the day, I entered my den of other reasons but the first response was the craving since here was the place I should get tobacco. So I have identified "triggers."

Day3: May 23:: Day 2 was not so difficult compared to Day 1, I was able to sit out much of it but I did over eat to compensate for the constant craving and emptiness. Day 3 started out bad as I did not get adequate sleep, but by noon things had improved. I went back to an internet site and read about "mental condition and believing in myself" and trying to "stay in the moment" with my feelings about how hard it is to quit given the constant craving. Will need to work on this idea, practice, practice, practice.

Day4: May 24:: Noticed a marked drop in the intensity of craving. Morning went very well after I got through the after-breakfast desire to head for my den; afternoon I went to gym and had a good workout, evening has been difficult with constant urges to head down the hall to the den for a pinch. I just have to sit it out; did seem like my after dinner coffee was triggering desire so dumped the second cup and had a big drink of water. Think it helped but that was just 15 minutes ago.

Very interesting; sitting at the computer in den playing Freecell, win game, click to start new game, and bingo; urge, including muscle twitch to turn around, to get a pinch - just had to laugh and let it pass - but this behavior/response fits so well with everything I used to do, that is, my pattern of chewing tobacco - get a new pinch when convenient like between card games.

Day5: May 25:: It has been good day so far (2:00 pm) although morning was tough with the craving after breakfast; this unconscious desire to walk down the hallway to den and get a pinch of tobacco. But think about it, here is this guy who worked 70 - 80 hours/week, got ahead, retired, and spend 30 minutes after lunch today selecting roses from the garden with his wife who wished to prepare flowers for the kitchen and family room - it does not get any better than that, even if there is a craving for tobacco every few minutes. WOW!

Roger - on Patience:

Our society we live in today ranges from instant breakfasts and beyond. Then gives way to instant messages being transmitted around the globe in less than seconds. We have become a society that demands everything to be fast and easy. For the most part this is a good possitive technological advancement. It should give us more time to pursue our goals and happiness as we journey through life.

On the downside we are becoming a world of "I want it now." The same holds true with many nicotine addicts on the road to recovery or wanting to quit smoking and stop feeding their addiction. Many search for the easy way out. Others don't understand why comfort takes time to happen. Perhaps, to many of us have not had to struggle for much in our lives. Everything has come to us far too easy! We expect to dance without paying the fiddler. There is no free lunch that is worth while. For us addicts seeking comfort, the price of the fiddler is payed in........

Patience

So just what is patience? It is many things combined to form one thing. It is an elusive virtue we all have within ourselves but never learn how to use it or just simply don't want to learn how to harness it.

Patience is the ability to:

Sit back and wait for an expected outcome without experiencing anxiety, tension or frustration.

Let go of your need or demand for instant gratification.

Believe in the concepts of permanence and commitment.

The ability to maintain your calmness and consideration as you handle your growth issues one at a time.

Hang on to your quit when unexpected trouble arises that may take 3 or 4 minutes to allow a crave or trigger to pass.

Accept the non-enthusiastic reception of others to share in your new found truths you have learned at Freedom.

See that overnight reformations are rarely long lasting in the begining and that gradual change and growth have a greater lasting durability.

Accept the universal truth that your quit, like life itself, is a journey not an instant destination.

Moving on to the other side of the coin, there are negative impacts with being impatient.

By being impatient you can:

Waste your energy worrying aboout how slow things are changing instead of directing that energy towards the changes you desire.

Ignore all the possitive gains accomplished on your road to your freedom, recovery and growth, allowing you to only concentrate on what you have not yet recieved or accomplished.

Become pessimistic about your quit seeing only the "half empty cup" rather the "half filled cup."

Become overwhelmed by your slower than anticipated progress and begin to lose the hope and motivation to keep on trying.

A person can increase the level of their patience by doing the following.

Pursue your quit one day at a time. Take baby steps.

Consider each day a gift of life that will allow you one step closer to your goal of being a comfortable x-smoker.

Confront your fears about attaining your goal. Remember the world was not created in a day. Beautiful symphonies, works of art, literary masterpieces and your control of your addiction will not be created in a day.

Remember a lifetime is not lived in a day or week or month. It is a journey we should savor one day at a time.

Always look for tomorrow to be the first day of the rest of your life.

It is very important to realize to successfully quit smoking and gain control over your addiciton you don't need an immeasurable amount of patience or an impeccable possitive attitude. These personal traits will develop as your quit progresses. All you need is a desire to quit and a set time to do it. Once you have decided on the two, place them in motion, all you ever have to do to remain nicotine free is never violate the Law of Addiction....Never Take Another Puff!

Roger , Freedom's Gold Club

Have a great day all.
Graham. Free for 2 years minus 3 days, after 50+ years without.

winna660
winna660

May 19th, 2008, 9:34 am #2

It really is amazing to go back and re-read your thoughts and feelings from those first few days. I don't ever want to forget the journey that I made that has taken me to the wonderful place I am now. I never want to forget it and I never want to repeat it.
2 years free!
Winna

forza d animo
forza d animo

May 19th, 2008, 11:11 am #3

Well said Graham.
Just like working 70-80 hour weeks to get ahead, we who put in the time learning about our addiction get ahead as well. If we are confident that the path we are traveling is leading us to our goal, then the journey is not seen as an obstacle, it is a classroom.

Congratulations for 2 years nicotine free.

Joseph.

CWZero K
CWZero K

May 19th, 2008, 11:41 pm #4

A big Congratulations to you Graham! I quit nicotine 89 days ago. I was a "dipper" so I relate to your story. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and posts. It is very inspiring. Someday I will be 2 years free too!

CW

smilingthyme0
smilingthyme0

May 20th, 2008, 6:25 pm #5

Awesome post Graham. Thanks for sharing it. I am inspired by it as always on these boards and look forward to feeling as good as you do!
yqs
Julia
FREE for 128 days. (4 Months, 1 Week, 14 hours and 10 minutes) By Avoiding the use of 2,571 nicotine delivery sticks. Reclaiming 1 Week, 1 Day, 22 hours and 15 minutes to enjoy in healthy and happy ways!

starbirder.ffn
starbirder.ffn

May 26th, 2008, 1:02 am #6

CONGRATULATIONS GRAHAM
To have stopped the use of nicotine after 50 years is truely AWESOME
Thank you for returning and posting your thoughts on the help of having a Positive Attitute and Patience and those great stats!!!

Star After 48 years I am Free and Healing for 10 months and 11 days