Welcome to Freedom and Day 1 of Your New Life!

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

August 26th, 2001, 11:21 pm #1

Welcome to Freedom! Are you addicted to nicotine? Do you see a true drug addict looking back when looking in a mirror? A drug's "intoxicating" effect has almost nothing to do with its ability to physically addict users. For example, nicotine's addiction rate among regular users exceeds 70% while cocaine's dependency rate is five times less at around 15%. Most addiction scientists now consider nicotine the most addictive drug on earth!

Once dependent, the nicotine addict's brain has become permanently altered. The brain creates additional receptors to process higher levels of nicotine. The law of nicotine addiction is simple. If a former nicotine addict uses any nicotine, even one puff, they are all but assured of full and complete relapse back to their old level of nicotine intake or higher.

The maximum time in takes for the body to become 100% nicotine clean, and for the symptoms of physical withdrawal to peak in intensity, is 72 hours. Within ten days to two weeks, the mind's physical adjustment to living without nicotine is substantially complete. What remains are some pesky habit triggered craves and about five different memories for each puff you've ever taken (touch, pucker, inhale, taste, and the dopamine ahhh).

The secret to successful quitting is to focus on remaining quit for just one hour at a time. Remain free for one hour and then celebrate! It's when we start thinking about going without smoking for a week, a month or "forever" that we start making the challenge harder than necessary. If you can not remain nicotine free for the next hour then tomorrow doesn't matter. Soon the hours build and by the 72 hour mark your anxieties will begin easing.

Many of the symptoms experienced during prior quits, like difficulty concentrating, were due to low blood sugar. Drink plenty of fruit juice the first few days (cranberry is excellent). Also spread out the amount of food your normally eat. Don't eat more, eat more often. Nicotine fed you by releasing stored fats, but no longer. Don't skip meals!

A few quick guidelines. Don't give up anything except tobacco but be extremely careful around alcohol and other smokers during the first week. Write down all your reasons for quitting and read them every day. No crave anxiety attack lasts for more than three minutes (look at a clock). Develop three coping plans and use them all if necessary (shower/bath - deep breaths - clear your mind of thoughts while focusing on your favorite color, object or person - call a friend).

Whereas a crave lasts less than 3 minutes, smoking "thoughts" can infect your mind for hours if you let them. Immediately replace them with positive thoughts about your new freedom, self-respect, confidence, and improving health. Withdrawal, craves and "thoughts" are the temporary price of freedom! There is no legitimate excuse for relapse, including the death of the person you love most.

If you'll be patient with your healing, within 60 to 90 days of quitting you should experience that first day of total and complete comfort where you never once think about a cigarette or smoking. After that, they'll quickly become your new norm. Within 90 days your lung function should improve by 30%.

Victory is yours the moment that you know with every fiber of your being that you'll never take another puff of nicotine. There is no such thing as just "one puff." If you decided to bum your relapse cigarette, don't ask for just one. Instead, ask for the entire pack, because you're going to need them, and thousands more! R emember, be patient and no nicotine for just one hour at a time!

Gormo Gold
Gormo Gold

August 27th, 2001, 1:31 am #2

Excellent Post, Zep! I read it here at Freedom, and it's absolutely true! I am One Puff Away, fron 2 Packs a Day! Which means quitting smoking is the easiest thing to do! Just "Never Take Another Puff!" Gormo Standing Tall at One month, two weeks, four days, 4 hours, 58 minutes and 7 seconds. 1968 cigarettes not smoked, saving $319.85. Life saved: 6 days, 20 hours, 0 minutes.

Treese (Silver)
Treese (Silver)

August 27th, 2001, 1:49 am #3

ZEP, I LOVE THIS POST. IT SUMS IT ALL UP IN A FEW MINUTES. I'VE LEARNED SO MUCH HERE AND IT FEELS SO GOOD TO TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT MY QUIT, EVEN TO NEVER SMOKERS. I CAN FEEL THAT THEY ARE EXCITED FOR ME TOO.(I CAN'T SAY IT'S ALL NEVER SMOKERS, BUT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE CLOSE TO ME) AND THEN WHEN I HAVE A SMOKER COME UP TO ME AND ASK HOW I DID IT AND HOW I'M DOING, WELL ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THEY SURE GET AN EARFUL FROM ME ABOUT THIS SITE. I REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST CAME HERE, THERE WAS A POST ABOUT MAKING UP BUSINESS CARDS. I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO HAND OUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO THE PERSON WHO IS CURIOUS ABOUT "FREEDOM". WHEN THEY ASK HOW I DO IT - OF COURSE I TELL THEM TO SUCCEED YOU MUST NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!! TREESE@2MONTHS, 15 HOURS, 16MINUTES

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

August 27th, 2001, 5:49 pm #4

Thanks Gormo & Treese
Freedom Business Cards - Treese, these are links to the front and back of some cards we made that should align and print out pretty well on your computer. Please let me know if they don't. I think there is room for improvement in the power of the message being sent but they're a start! If anyone else has ideas for cards, please don't keep them to yourself. Thanks!

Last edited by John (Gold) on December 21st, 2013, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

improud (golder)
improud (golder)

August 28th, 2001, 2:19 am #5

Yes to the first two questions. NO to NICODEMON I will NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF I have been Quit for: 7M 3W 15h 50m 58s. I have NOT smoked 7069, for a savings of $1,060.47. Life Saved: 3W 3D 13h 5m Thanks ZEP

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

August 28th, 2001, 5:17 am #6

Thanks Ryan! I don't know why yours works and mine doesn't but I'm glad you were there! For goodness sake, Improud, stop playing newbie : )))) LOL Ok, we need a better card! We need a card that will make every smoker that we hand it to sit up and take notice. Any ideas???

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

August 31st, 2001, 8:15 am #7

Welcome Newbies!
You can do it! Baby steps!
Just quit for one hour and then celebrate!

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

September 17th, 2001, 6:57 pm #8

Nicotine Clean in 72 Hours
  • Don't look ahead - just succeed here and now
  • Celebrate each hour of healing & each passing crave
  • Take notes & write down your reasons for quitting
  • Don't skip meals - spread your food out over your day
  • Drink fruit juices to keep your blood sugar levels stable
  • Plan 3 minute activities to get you through craves
  • Look at a clock when a crave arrives (less than 3 mins.)
  • Fill your mind with positive thoughts (a can-do attitude)
  • Read all you can - become the master of your addiction

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

November 3rd, 2001, 8:34 pm #9

If you are new here to Freedom then welcome! Have you said "no" to your mind's cry for new nicotine yet? What are you waiting on? Jump into our pool of learning. Wisdom's water feels great! An educated smoker will not stay a smoker for long. I had at least a dozen prior failed quits and all of them failed for the exact same reason, I knew nothing about my addiction. Yes, after 30 years and 3 packs a day I was still totally ignorant about why I was smoking and what it took to break free. If you begin some serious reading here at Freedom you'll quickly see what I mean.

Lesson One: It takes a maximum of 72 hours without ingesting any new nicotine into our body before our blood becomes 100% nicotine free and our symptoms of physical nicotine withdrawal reach their peak intensity. Until then nicotine is still in full command our body's needs. Until then we may not sense the onset of healing. Once we do reach the mountain top and begin to feel nicotine's grip weaken as we taste freedom, it puts us in a position of deciding whether or not we want our healing to continue.

Freedom is the internet's only 100% nicotine free support group. Although everyone with nicotine in their blood has an open invitation to fully explore our entire site while reading, learning and growing in quit wisdom, communication on Freedom's message board is reserved to those who are 100% nicotine clean - there are no exceptions. Freedom is for serious quitters and here nicotine will never have a voice. There are only two choices - more nicotine or freedom. Welcome to Freedom!

The phrase "cold turkey" means only one thing here at Freedom, complete abstinence from bodily nicotine. Most of us know from prior quits that an uneducated or ignorant "cold turkey" quitter is nothing more than a recipe for future relapse. Joel's Library (just click the underlined words as they are each links) contains about 90 short articles that will help correct years of false dependency thinking - what we call "junkie thinking." It may take you a day or more of solid reading to work your way through for the first time but it will be one of the best spent days of your entire life. Take notes! Joel has taught smoking cessation for 30 years, during which he has helped thousands of smokers to freedom. Enjoy his priceless gift of wisdom.

At the very top and right of our message board you should see the word "Topic:" To the right of the word "Topic:" it probably says "All Topics" followed by a little down arrow. Do you see it? If you click your mouse pointer on the little down arrow you'll be able to scroll through a much more detailed list of topics addressing specific concerns. This is one way that old message board posts can be quickly retrieved. I strongly encourage you to also spend some time reading old threads under the topics "Advice for Newbies," "Cravings & Urges," "My New Life," "Addiction," and "Prevent Relapse." The other topics are there should you have any question that need answering. It's time to educate your desire

So how will you find us again. The surest way to find us is to bookmark our link (URL) by adding it to your favorites list on your browser now! Another way is to simply remember WhyQuit.Com. Notice that there is no space between the words why and quit. You can easily find Freedom from any computer in the world by simply typing www.whyquit.com into the browser address window. It's also a good way to tell other smokers how to find us. While at WhyQuit we encourage you to click on the top coffin link and explore the entire site. I hope you find it motivating.

Once you decide to remove all nicotine from your body click this link and download yourself a Free Quit Meter. It's lots of fun watching the hours and other stats (quit statistics) quickly add up. In no time at all (72 hours) you'll qualify to open the final door so that we can meet at last. Until then, breathe deep, hug hard, live long! Your quit brother to be, Zep

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

January 28th, 2002, 3:41 am #10

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

January 29th, 2002, 10:59 pm #11

no special cards needed.....for me it is just the back or a receipt with the words...whyquit.com. It works.

Freedom is a group of wonderful volunteers who are very happy and successful quitters and a professional quit teacher who also volunteers his time. We all have an overwhelming desire to see everyone enjoy the freedom from the deadliest of all the addictions just as we have. Others have helped us through the rough periods and now we seek to give back to our newbies what has been so lovinly and graciously been given to us. By helping others, we also help ourselves.

Quitting is so simple....really. Just learn about your addiction with the information in Joel's library and on the board and you have found the one of the tools necessary to keep you from never taking another puff. Understanding addiction is the single most important tool in conquoring it and the determination to fight it, the other.

wishing you all the very best and looking forward to seeing you here at the end of your first 72 hours.

Linda

mirigirl (silver)
mirigirl (silver)

January 30th, 2002, 7:40 pm #12

mirigirl (silver)
mirigirl (silver)

March 3rd, 2002, 5:30 am #13

yqs mirigirl

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

March 8th, 2002, 11:17 pm #14

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

June 30th, 2002, 11:57 pm #15

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

July 7th, 2002, 2:32 am #16

If you're just visiting we'd love to have you back, again and again and again! You may not be ready for freedom just yet but if you keep exploring there's no telling what could happen. Knowledge can be both inviting and empowering. If you're in an abusive relationship with Nicotony or Nicotina and they seem to be stronger than you, it's probably because they are. But take heart. Nicotine's I.Q. is zero and victory has always been a matter of brains over bronze! Enjoy your journey home!
John - The Gold Club

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

July 22nd, 2002, 11:03 pm #17

of Your New Life

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

May 7th, 2003, 2:28 am #18

Kristen Goldx3
Kristen Goldx3

January 6th, 2006, 11:59 pm #19

johnnynonic
johnnynonic

December 31st, 2008, 1:03 pm #20

The 1st 72 Hours
of Your New Life

starbirder.ffn
starbirder.ffn

January 1st, 2009, 4:04 am #21

Nicotine Clean in 72 Hours
  1. Don't look ahead - just succeed here and now
  2. Celebrate each hour of healing & each passing crave
  3. Take notes & write down your reasons for quitting
  4. Don't skip meals - spread your food out over your day
  5. Drink fruit juices to keep your blood sugar levels stable
  6. Plan 3 minute activities to get you through craves
  7. Look at a clock when a crave arrives (less than 3 mins.)
  8. Fill your mind with positive thoughts (a can-do attitude)
  9. Read all you can - become the master of your addiction. John
ITS ALL TRUE - IT HAPPENED TO ME TOO AND IT CAN HAPPEN FOR YOU!!! WHYQUIT.COM