SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel

August 3rd, 2001, 12:42 am #76

This should stay near the top.

I can't remember the last time I thought about having a cigarette. It must have been a month or two back and the thought lasted about three seconds.

The only bad thing about not thinking about it is that I rarely visit this community and rarely look at my quit stats. It's unbelievable that I would have puffed my way through over 6,000 sticks since my quit. Man, that's a whole lot of rancid tar that my body hasn't had to deal with.

Nine months, two weeks, 33 minutes and 44 seconds. 6314 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,262.90. Life saved: 3 weeks, 22 hours, 10 minutes.

Hal(Gold)
Hal(Gold)

August 6th, 2001, 6:56 am #77

Surprise Quitter(Gold)
Surprise Quitter(Gold)

August 6th, 2001, 7:23 am #78

I was a lurker for almost 6 weeks before I came into Freedom. So there truly are us lurkers out there watching everyone and reading, reading. I was Green when I came in. I had alot of your support with me already but was beginning to have those big doubts. I find I don't think cigarette anymore but spearmint gum. When I use to say cigarette now gum. It is at most 3 times a day. But usually less. MY Stats are: One month, two weeks, 16 hours, 17 minutes and 54 seconds. 982 cigarettes not smoked, saving $172.01. Life saved: 3 days, 9 hours, 50 minutes.
I know a couple of lurkers who stayed true to this board and are beyond Bronze. So a big Thank you from

them!!!! Carolyn

marty (gold)
marty (gold)

August 7th, 2001, 1:07 am #79

For Cora

Joel
Joel

August 13th, 2001, 8:16 pm #80

Thought I'd bring this one up to the top for our pending members and lurkers. Note that this post from me today is response 78. This means that there are a lot of previous responses that you don't see automatically, you have to go to "first" to read approximately 15 responses at a time. But it is worth it to do that, for you will see the reactions of a lot of people that for the most part all will confirm that reactions that happen early in a quit do subside and life becomes pretty comfortable as an ex-smoker. Anyone who missed adding their insights before may want to take this opportunity to add their perspective now. Again, there are a lot of lurkers and pending members at the moment who will greatly benefit by your insights.

Joel

churninern.ffn
churninern.ffn

August 14th, 2001, 8:08 am #81

GREAT POST!!!

Listen all, I don't think many people remember me, but the beginning stages of MY quit were full of all the cravings and doubts that I have seen echoed time and again. I am proud to say that I have recently completed one full trip around the sun, SMOKEFREE, and just want to add to what Joel has posted.

The cravings DO disappear. The smokefree life becomes a welcome blessing. Your world doesn't come to an end. You are not ostracised by you friends, peers or cohorts.
Life is great in the nonsmoking section of society.

Hang tough; stick it out; it's worth it.

peace'
ernie
One year, one week, three days

Freebird
Freebird

August 15th, 2001, 2:12 pm #82

Well, I just read this post for the first time and it sure is encouraging! I've been nico-free for 2 weeks, 1 day and now only have 4 or 5 urges each day. This is a definite improvement over the constant craves of the first 3 days! I know I have to be patient ... and also try to enjoy each victory over every urge that I defeat! I want to come back to this post when I am GREEN and tell you how I'm doing! I know it'll just get better every day!

Judy

Treese (Silver)
Treese (Silver)

August 16th, 2001, 11:16 am #83

THE LAST TIME I POSTED HERE, I WAS ONLY 10 DAYS INTO MY QUIT AND I FELT I WAS DOING PRETTY GOOD THEN. TODAY IT IS 7 WEEKS 3 DAYS AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT I DO NOT CRAVE CIGS AT ALL ANYMORE. I STILL HAVE THOUGHTS OF THEM IF DOING SOMETHING THAT I USED TO ASSOCIATE SMOKING WITH BUT FROM ALL THE EDUCATION HERE, IT IS ONLY THOUGHTS. IT DOES NOT GO ANY FURTHER THAN THAT. I HAVE CONQUERED SEVERAL TRIGGERS IN THESE LAST FEW WEEKS AND KEEP MY GUARD UP AT ALL TIMES. MY LAST TRIGGER SITUATION HAPPENED YESTERDAY AT THE MAIN OFFICE WHERE I'M EMPLOYED WHERE I WAS SITTING IN THE BREAKROOM AND ANOTHER EMPLOYEE CAME IN TO HAVE HER "SMOKE" THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I'VE HAD THIS SITUATION AT WORK BECAUSE I DO WORK AT ANOTHER BRANCH WITH ALL NONSMOKERS AND I WAS WORKING AT ANOTHER OFFICE THAT DAY. WELL, I PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS. THE SMOKE DID NOT SMELL AT ALL APEALING LIKE IT ONCE USED TO AND MY EYES , NOSE AND THROAT WERE ALL BURNING BY THE TIME THE CIG WAS EXTINGUISHED. MY ONLY THOUGHTS GOING THRU MY MIND WAS THAT I'M SOOO GLAD I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE. I KEEP TELLING MYSELF I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THAT FOR 31 YEARS!!! IT'S THE EDUCATION, ATTITUDE AND DETERMINATION THAT WILL GET YOU THERE!!! SO YOU NEWBIES OUT THERE, IT DOES GET BETTER EVERYDAY. OH, BY THE WAY, THERE WAS ANOTHER EMPLOYEE THERE TOO WHO ALSO IS A SMOKER AND MENTIONED SHE WOULD LIKE TO QUIT. YOU CAN BET I GAVE HER THIS WEBSITE ADDRESS!!!! TREESE

Joel
Joel

August 23rd, 2001, 12:42 am #84

I think this is an important one to asure many of our newer members that given time it does get better.

Patticake (Gold)
Patticake (Gold)

August 24th, 2001, 5:03 am #85

In all the threads I've seen started at Freedom in the seven months, 6 days, minutes and seconds, six thousand, five-hundred and forty-seven cigarettes I have not smoked, this is one of my favorites. It has been exactly two months since I've replied, and like others, things do continue to change. I'am one of those aggravating people who for some reason think everything has to be analyzed. Why do I do this, why do I do that, what if the sun doesn't come up, what if the sky falls on my head. Well, who knows, who cares. In addition to not lighting up I 'am also learning to lighten up. I have finally come to the realization and acceptance that smoking is no longer an issue in my life. Maintaining my quit is of course but the smoking issue itsself no longer has the ability to take precedence over my other thoughts. For those of you who are unfortunate to be like me you can understand how scary it is to let go of something you have really worked hard at worrying about. Suddenly I find myself functioning in a capacity I like to think is normal, without worrying if nicodemon is going to tackle me to the ground. I find myself walking as tall as anyone who is five foot four can without continually hunching over anticipating a jab from the back from old nic. Like we've all read here, yea, we let go of something, but like everything else in life we've lost, the pain does gradually fade and all we have left is the memory, and it isn't even a fond one.

So here I am seven months later, the sky hasn't fallen on my head and the sun keeps coming up every day. And I am learning to live with the fact that I have really done something worthwhile in my life and that it is a good thing. And of course I still have the occasional thought, good grief, except for breathing in and out there's nothing else I've done for 40+ consecutive years. Just because my smoking habit is gradually fading doesn't mean my memory is. Just as I said in my original post to this thread, I still keep my smoking issue filed away in the 'things not so important to think about' file. However, the lessons I learned here are ever present and available at a moment's notice to draw on, it becomes a natural part of day to day coping skills. I 've learned a valuable lesson here, one certainly not to be forgotten. I love the place in time I live in and I want to continue to have this freedom I have worked so hard for.

Newbies it does in fact get easier and easier. Suddenly you discover you are on auto pilot. Being smoke free becomes a way of life so enjoy it. Let's call it our 'new habit', it is a guaranteed good one.

Antonia

Glynda (Gold)
Glynda (Gold)

August 24th, 2001, 7:23 pm #86

Hi Everyone!

This is a good thread to keep at the top. It's has helped me a lot.

I'm into my quit for over 10 days now and I still think about it a few times an hour for a few seconds.

BUT....I'm mostly thinking about how I don't smoke anymore! Very simple! Maybe once a day, I get blind-sided with a very strong and powerful thought of "I have to have a cigarette, NOW!" My responding thought is "But, I don't smoke anymore" and it's GONE! HAHAHA The "gotta smoke" thoughts are getting rather wimpy! There seems to be absolutely NOTHING behind them! It's a beautiful thing :)

When I'm in situations where I know I'll be in a smoke-free environment for a few hours, I remember when I smoked how those situations would cause me to panic because I wouldn't be able to smoke. Now...it's great, because I think "Can't smoke for a few hours?...so what! I don't smoke anymore"

My biggest problems are episodes of feeling a little disoriented or dizzy or fuzzy. I haven't had this much clean oxygen in over 20 years!
Glynda - Going on Quit Day 11

Joel
Joel

August 28th, 2001, 1:13 am #87

For my six month ex-smoking email pen pal.

MMzMarg (Green)
MMzMarg (Green)

August 28th, 2001, 2:06 am #88

I went shopping with my daughter yesterday. We were shopping and shopping for hours (off to college shopping) and after about 2 hours of non-stop shop till you drop, she looked at me and smiled and said "Isn't it nice to spend time together without wondering, even once, how to sneak out for a cigarette" and it sure was! I didn't realize how much cigarettes had deprived me of the ability to enjoy the moment. I was always looking for the next fix moment instead of feeling the pleasure of the moment at hand. Freedom is a joyous thing. After being nicotine free for one month + 4 hrs how often do I miss cigs... not nearly as much as I thought I would. Do I still want a cigarette? not nearly as often as I thought I would. Do I treasure my freedom. Every second of the day!

JERGOLD1
JERGOLD1

August 28th, 2001, 5:26 am #89

I POSTED TO THIS THREAD AT EXACTLY 1 MONTH. I POSTED TO THIS THREAD AT EXACTLY 2 MONTHS. I WAS GOING TO POST AT EXACTLY 3 MONTHS INTO MY QUIT EXCEPT I WAS BUSY GETTING MY DAUGHTER MARRIED. SO I AM A COUPLE DAYS LATE, BUT HERE GOES.

I go through whole days now without thinking about a cigarette. Sometimes at the end of a day I will try to count how many thoughts I had that day and get the count confused whether my thought was from that day or the day before or the day before that. I did get a strong urge going back to the hotel to pick up a camera for the rehearsal dinner for my daughters wedding. I was alone and the thought went into my head i could buy some smokes have one throw the rest of them away and no one would know.
but the more I thought about it the less sense it made,plus I really didn't want one anymore, it was just nerves , after a few minutes the urge past. I was very proud of myself.
Just remember everything you learn here and you will be OK. I stay on my guard , but most days are a breeze.

John
Three months, two days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 4 seconds. 1885 cigarettes not smoked, saving $438.34. Life saved: 6 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes.

shilyn
shilyn

August 30th, 2001, 2:30 am #90

I sit and sometime's want a smoke, and tell my self it would not be any good for me. I get scared that one day something will happen, and I will really want that smoke bad. All I can do is hope and pray that God will be here for me, to guide me in the right direction, and I will not smoke ever again.
This I believe will be one of the hardest thing's I will ever do in my life, And I'll tell you it is hard to be around people who smoke. I didn't realize how much disrespect a smoker can give to someone who doe not smoke. What is even harder to face is that I was one of those people. I did not care if a person did not like smoke or not!
I will fight these craving's. I have had 2 cry spell's since i quit. I guess cause I am fighting myself. I was 8 when I hd my first smoke. Today I am 30. I smoked for 22 year's. I sit now and wonder why did I have to get that first cigarette? To this day I can not answer. I am now in my 6th day and fighting! I am #1 bound and determined to stay smoke free!
I thank everyone in the family here for your support.
God Bless,
Shilyn

Gormo Gold
Gormo Gold

September 4th, 2001, 7:45 pm #91

While it's very hard to believe in the first few weeks, it is absolutely true. IT DOES GET BETTER, MUCH, MUCH BETTER! And it happens quickly too! The trick is to stay with it and Never Take Another Puff! Gormo.

starla (GOLD)
starla (GOLD)

September 5th, 2001, 4:18 am #92

just wanted to say that when i first started my quit, i thought it would be IMPOSSIBLE to go a whole day without thinking about smoking! the craving was constant, every second my only thought was that i wanted to smoke!! NOW I HAVE GONE BY MANY MANY MANY MANY DAYS WITHOUT ONE SINGLE THOUGHT OR DESIRE TO SMOKE!! FREEDOM AT LAST!@!! ITS SO GREAT ISNT IT!??

starla smoke free for Eleven months, two weeks, five days, 7 hours, 11 minutes and 15 seconds. 12365 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,762.08. Life saved: 6 weeks, 22 hours, 25 minutes.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

September 9th, 2001, 2:02 am #93

Happy Second Birthday Freedom!
This is the 91st post to this thread. In the upper right hand corner of each message it tells you which message out of the 91 you are reading. Each page allows you to scroll through 15 messages. In othe words, you will have to turn the page 6 times in order to read all 90 messages posted to this thread. At the top and bottom of this page you'll find the following commands:
< First < Previous Next > Last >
To see the First 15 messages click First. To see the Previous 15 click Previous, and so on! To anser or reply to this thread (or any thread) simply click on "Reply" Don't be shy! We were all where you are not so long ago

childofnite GOLD.ffn
childofnite GOLD.ffn

September 11th, 2001, 3:10 am #94

Hi there!

I found this thread to be particularly useful when I was fairly new in my quit. Joel pointed me towards it. Now that I have been NICOTINE FREE for 1 month, 2 weeks, 2 days, 3 hours, 15 minutes and 2 seconds, I feel comfortable enough to let newbies know that I *maybe* spend 2 minutes out of an entire day thinking about cigarettes. I no longer obsess about them, and I find the act of smoking.... well....*filthy*.

I haven't yet had those wondrous days where there are no thoughts at all, but I've come pretty close.

Keep it up, newbies! I *never* thought I'd be at this point. You CAN do it!

Yqs, Diana

grafix(Gold ))
grafix(Gold ))

September 11th, 2001, 7:23 am #95

One month, two weeks, two days, 15 hours, 38 minutes and 27 seconds. 714 cigarettes not smoked, saving $233.49. Life saved: 2 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes.

A few thoughts still around each day, but these make me stronger becuase I realise I still have an addiction. I use the term thoughts becuase the craves really don't exist anymore.
Chris

Joel
Joel

September 14th, 2001, 5:02 am #96

Joel
Joel

September 18th, 2001, 1:54 am #97

I am attaching Mitch's post that was in today's parade to this string so that it can help to confirm the fact the urges do become a rarity over time.
A hardy congratualations to all of you quitters out there. Just wanted to let you know that I've gone a solid day without even a micro-thought about smoking. Actually had to remember to have an urge and then do a "put-thee-behind-me" on it. The mind is a treacherous friend, no?

Mitch hasn't smoked for:
155 days, 11 hrs, and 59 min.
Cigarettes not smoked: 1560
Money saved: 366.60
Life saved: 5 days, 10 hrs, and 0 min.

Joel
Joel

September 26th, 2001, 7:31 pm #98

I've seen a couple of our members who have not been around in quite a while dropped in to announce anniversaries. I thought it might be good to bring this one to the top so that they may get the opportunity to add to it. Plus, I think it is a great string for any newer member or lurker to see to realize that it really gets much easier as more and more time and experience passes as long as you never take another puff!

Joel

Vee GOLD
Vee GOLD

September 27th, 2001, 3:04 am #99

Last week I was at a seminar and thought "I can't wait to get home and have a cigarette while I look thru this book and plan what I'm going to do!" I really began to fixate on that! When I got home I went to this site to find ANY article that would help (most all of them do) and I ran across one that I printed and will always have with me now. It is "Boy, do I miss smoking!" The one statement that is so true in there is "If you say it often enough you really start to belive it."
I have been quit for 1mo/1week/1day. There are days now that I will have to stop and think "Did I think about smoking today?" And there are days when I will think of smoking only because I'm driving and seeing someone else smoking in their car. I am the one that chose to quit, I will be the one that will decide whether or not to dwell on any small thought I may have of smoking and I choose not to dwell and never to take another puff.
Vee

Hal(Gold)
Hal(Gold)

October 4th, 2001, 4:22 am #100