casper700kawa
casper700kawa

April 25th, 2003, 5:39 am #326

point.ooooooo.32 of a sec in other words nil , nata, nun , ozeo, hole punch of nuthing.i don, think of it at all..ect....and for you lurckers this cud be you tooyqb..casper ....wwwhhhooooeee feelin just fine ...freedom works...Three months, one week, four days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 7 seconds. 3036 cigarettes not smoked, saving $607.13. Life saved: 1 week, 3 days, 13 hours, 0 minutes.

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

May 3rd, 2003, 12:56 pm #327

Every few weeks I get what might be described as a fleeting memory of the "ahh" cigarette. They last maybe 5 seconds, before being dismissed into the ash heap with the rest of my smoking memories (all the crappy memories that came with the occassional "ahh" cigarette). More often, I don't even consider cigarettes. It was nice to be able to answer "no" in the "do you use tobacco" field on an insurance form today...

Still comfortable at a year and just about 4 months.

Emmamom(DoubleGreen)
Emmamom(DoubleGreen)

May 4th, 2003, 1:29 am #328

I had a brief flash of wanting a cigarette about 4 days ago; it lasted maybe 10 seconds. It wasn't strong. I haven't even been quit all that long.
Kim, nicotine-free for 2 Months 2 Weeks 3 Days 2 Hours 27 Minutes 17 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2054. Money saved: $462.32.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

May 7th, 2003, 1:39 am #329

What was the fuel that allowed all these folks to move beyond where you are now? Were they all stronger than you, have more will-power or did they simply hold their dreams close, remain honest about what it's really like living the addict's life, put tomorrow aside and instead focus on achieving full and complete victory over today, while living one simple rule - no nicotine, not a puff!

It may at times feel like your rose bud has stopped blooming but with each passing nicotine-free second you move one second further from thinking about and planning to smoke nicotine throughout your entire day, cigarette after cigarette, day after day, pack after pack, year after year, and one second closer to that inner calmness you once knew, where thoughts of smoking arose only because someone else's smoking problem was met by your senses.

Someday soon you'll cherish your freedom so much that you may return here often not to try and forget or adjust but to try and remember the horrors of smoking and the challenges you faced. This is an amazing journey and regardless of whether or not the next few minutes are the easiest yet or, in the end, prove to have been the most challenging of this entire temporary journey of adjustment, they will be 100% doable!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John

StepperM
StepperM

May 7th, 2003, 2:58 am #330

I remember reading this post in my Glory Week thinking....oh boy, will I ever get there. I get excited just thinking about this, I can't believe I can actually now post to this thread and honestly say that I haven't wanted a cigarette for a few weeks. I've thought about the stupid cigs but not wanted one!!

Freegirl
And I'm only at 4 weeks, 1 day and 16 hours!

Madge Gold
Madge Gold

May 7th, 2003, 6:55 am #331

Hi Joel,
Love this thread. I've not posted a lot because I sure don't see me as a role model for the newbies. I'm have an incredibly difficult quit and if I go for an hour without confronting an urge, I'm thankful!
I keep in mind what the oldbies say "it will get easier". I think part of my problem and that of most addicts, is that I want to quit, I just don"t want to go through the work of withdrawl!!

MadgeOne month, three weeks, five days, 5 hours, 55 minutes and 26 seconds. 1431 cigarettes not smoked, saving $303.90. Life saved: 4 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes.

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

May 7th, 2003, 7:55 am #332

Hi Madge,

Your words concerned me a bit. Whenever I hear somebody saying something like they're having an incredibly difficult quit, and they're nearly 2 months into it, it leads me to think that they could use some support. I posted the following thread for you. I've put some of my thoughts, and several links in it that might be useful.

Links and Thoughts for Madge

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

May 23rd, 2003, 11:42 am #333

Tubes GOLD
Tubes GOLD

May 23rd, 2003, 9:12 pm #334

Hello All:

I may have posted to this thread some time ago but since I am going to experience
a life changing event with my move overseas I thought I should post again.

How often do I think about smoking? Not very much. Even with my move coming
up (my flight leaves this afternoon) the tought of a smoke is not in the forefront of
mind. There is so much else to worry about!

Before I quit I probably would have had to make room in luggage for many packs
of cigarettes. In fact, now that I think about it, I can remember only a couple of times
where I bought cartons of smokes, usually for extended trips.

Do I still have thoughts of smoking? Sure. They are different now. Usually the result
of some trigger buried in my mind.....the thought pops up and lingers only for a
moment.I think about what the result of that first one would be (many more after) and
how far I have come, and the thought kind of whithers and is gone. I like to think of it
as a cockroach.......when I expose it to the light of reason it scurries away.

Tubes
Nicotine Free 3 Months 2 Weeks 6 Days 14 Hours 10 Minutes.
2958 LESS Nicotine Delivery Devices
$791.52 MORE in my Pocket
2 Wks 6 Days 13 Hrs 9 Mins 22 Secs MORE in The Saddle, In The Wind

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

May 23rd, 2003, 10:29 pm #335

"I like to think of it as a cockroach.......when I expose it to the light of reason it scurries away."

Thanks for that image, Tubes. You have quite a way with words!

Not sure if I have ever posted to this thread. How many seconds a day do I still want a cigarette? That would be zero seconds in the day. I do not want a cigarette because I know where it will lead. Fortunately, I studied hard here at Freedom and know that one = all.

Now let's change the question to: how many seconds a day do I think about cigarettes? That would be anywhere from 5 seconds to maybe 2 minutes. Tops. I actually think about smoking very little considering the fact that my husband is a heavy smoker and I'm around it all the time.

I smoked for 32 years so having occasional thoughts of cigarettes seems to me a small, nay, a miniscule price to pay for my freedom. I cannot emphasize enough how painless and fleeting these thoughts are. Please do not think that this quit has been a piece of cake. I am not unique. I did not magically cast off my addiction. There have been moments of powerful longing. However, my Freedom education has stood me in good stead through those. I used all the techniques taught here. Visualized the handful of cigarettes and an ashtray overflowing with foul-smelling butts. Chanted never take another puff....over and over. Re-read my reasons to quit list. Read Joel's articles and other people's posts. Posted encouragement to others. Worked hard at having an attitude of gratitude.

I don't have to work hard at it anymore. Not smoking feels normal and natural and comfortable now. I've been around here for almost a year now (!) and I've watched lots of people grow into comfort. Some of those were people who did not believe they would ever find it. I believe comfort is available to all of us. Give your quit time to grow and mature. Allow it to send down deep roots and take hold. Nourish it every day by celebrating your accomplishment. Be patient. Your quit will flower.

Best wishes all,
Parker - free and healing for 50 weeks

CookiesGold
CookiesGold

May 23rd, 2003, 10:33 pm #336

NOW LIFE IS MUCH SWEETER. I HARDLY EVER THINK OF THEM AND WHEN I DO I SAY I AM GLAD I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE.
7MONTHS
COOKIE

TXCorndog
TXCorndog

May 26th, 2003, 1:37 pm #337

Hmmmmm, great thread, Joel!

I had about 3 thoughts of smoking today, lasting probably just a couple of seconds each. I would only classify one of those fleeting thoughts as *wanting* a cigarette, and it was quickly talked down by thinking of some of the things I have learned here.

I had a bit of rough going the first couple of weeks, but my quit has become so much easier, no longer a bite-the-nails, white-knuckle kind of thing, and more of a pleasure of enjoying life without that smelly, unhealthy crutch, and a new sense of pride emerging.

I very much relate to your words in an earlier post, Joel, that if the symptoms perceived as withdrawal are still there after weeks of no nicotine, that something else is going on, maybe revealing problems that were already there, but masked by nicotine.

I have chosen freedom from nicotine for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 9 hours and 32 minutes (45 days). I have saved $130.50 by forgoing 453 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 13 hours and 45 minutes of my precious life

James (Silver)
James (Silver)

May 26th, 2003, 7:01 pm #338

I'm happy to say I don't want a cigarette at all. "I don't smoke." Cool, eh!?

6.5 months quit

notamoment (gold)
notamoment (gold)

May 27th, 2003, 9:51 am #339

In the early months of my quit there were some rough times but they didn't come frequently and they didn't last long. I always found if I could distract myself with some other thoughts or activities that all thoughts of a cigarette vanished before I realized what had happened.

Now, I'm happy to say, I haven't had a craving in months... it just simply does not even occur to me to want one. I spent a week with my sister in North Carolina in February. She and her husband both smoke Marlboros (one of my old favourites). There were a few times when I was left alone in the house with full cartons of Marlies on the table. I remember looking at them and wondering how I ever smoked all those cigarettes in the past. I just honestly didn't want one.

Don't believe the people who say the cravings never go away. That may be true for them but it's not true for me. I crave a cigarette ZERO minutes a day now. But, I am still grateful every day.

Susan (at the end of my I found GOLD!!)

Joel
Joel

May 31st, 2003, 7:58 pm #340

This is a great thread for anyone just thinking about quitting to read.

Clare Silver
Clare Silver

May 31st, 2003, 8:29 pm #341

I don't know if its habit or a craving, but maybe a couple of times a day, the thought of smoking just jumps at me.. It is only very weak now, and only lasts for a couple of seconds... I remember a few weeks ago, when the cravings were a little more stronger, I almost enjoyed the battle.. in a weird sort of way.. I think it was because I knew I was going to win and I loved that control. I could almost hear myself saying, "come on, I am going to win but you can try anyway" Thankfully I haven't had that happen for a while.. These days, I don't have time to think anything because the thought is gone as quick as it comes.

Clare 4m, 1day, 13 hrs

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

June 4th, 2003, 8:01 pm #342

This is where not taking "one puff" of nicotine leads!
Which sounds easier to you?
Isn't it time to be honest?

Joel
Joel

June 21st, 2003, 11:44 pm #343

This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.

GoldenPeachyPie
GoldenPeachyPie

June 22nd, 2003, 10:41 pm #344

+I think about smoking now about a couple of times a week , just that I am so glad I took the plunge and don't smoke anymore , and as to actually wanting a cigarette , that would be ......NEVER !!!!

And I never thought I'd be able to say that !!

Peach XXX 8 MONTHS +

Golddabler1
Golddabler1

June 22nd, 2003, 10:55 pm #345

Hi y,all
I think about having a cigarette about tree times a week and thankully i let the thought float on by like a passing cloud.Rickdabler 3 months 6 days 12hrs happily nicotine free.

Joel
Joel

July 1st, 2003, 9:10 pm #346

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

July 14th, 2003, 9:27 am #347

TheConverted
TheConverted

July 15th, 2003, 3:40 am #348

Well I suppose Im a newbie to quitting smoking , Im on day 10 and I think of smoking at least 5 times a day at work and almost constantly in the evenings when Im at home. My wife smokes in the house and thats probably got something to do with it. This is the longest time that I have quit for , the previous times where only for a few hours and then I couldt stand it any more. My greatest motivation at this very moment is watching my wifes aunt dying form lung "something" cancer and having to use oxygen 4 times a day and actually just sitting around at home waiting for the "day" to come - **** I dont want to end up like that.

EmmamomSilver1
EmmamomSilver1

July 15th, 2003, 8:15 am #349

This thread is so important to people just starting out. Within just a couple of weeks, I forgot to think about smoking every day. I right now have maybe 2 thoughts of smoking each week, and I think them through with the knowledge I've gained here, and then I forget smoking again.
Kim
I have been quit for 4 Months, 4 Weeks, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 46 seconds (148 days). I have saved $901.43 by not smoking 4,006 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 6 Days, 21 hours and 50 minutes of my life.

CookiesGold
CookiesGold

July 15th, 2003, 8:35 am #350

Once in awhile, not much at all now really. When I do think about it, I really think and then the feeling goes completely away. It gets better each day, and I am so happy for that.Life sure does go on.

CookieI have been quit for 9 Months, 1 Day, 18 hours, 54 minutes and 37 seconds (274 days). I have saved $1,923.51 by not smoking 10,991 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 1 Week, 3 hours and 55 minutes of my life.