Triggers: Reminders From Your Executive Assistant

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Taskman9
Taskman9

April 5th, 2006, 11:59 pm #26

Great post - this scenario must surely remind us all of some trigger that has suddenly sprung into our heads for no apparent reason. What a great site Freedom is!

Lyn

(3 Weeks, 2 Days, 44 minutes and 18 seconds. Quit date: 13/03/2006 16:15).

MomTo5Girls
MomTo5Girls

June 22nd, 2006, 11:33 pm #27

I love this!! I'm printing this! I can just imagine the little guy running up behind me or tapping me on the shoulder while finishing a cup of coffee. From now on, I will talk to him and remind him of the new memos and please throw the old memos out.

January 19th, 2007, 7:02 am #28

A great reply in Roger's Patience:
It is so important to remember that this is a healing process.
It takes time to re-wire the brain.
It takes time to learn to move through our daily lives and routines without relying on a drug.
It takes time to educate ourselves and to gain confidence in our ability to succeed.
For today...make a promise to yourself to give time time.
Be patient with your healing.
Keep reading and learning and trusting us when we say: it will get better!
Parker
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on April 14th, 2009, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulD51
PaulD51

May 7th, 2007, 9:02 am #29

This is an excellent topic. Whenever I find myself thinking about smoking, I try to go through this analysis in an effort to determine what the trigger is. Just knowing that it is a trigger helps. NTAP

lfrogger
lfrogger

August 22nd, 2007, 2:42 pm #30

Perfect!
Just what I was needing to read:
"He will get it; I know he will. It will just take a while and a walk through all my various scenarios. He is really very, very good. He learned so well the first time -- I have to give him time to learn the new mandate."

I was doing something tonight that was frustrating me. It triggered an old junkie thought or two (which went away actually pretty fast considering the situation!).
I tend to be impatient and expect thoughts/triggers of smoking to be gone....period...end of subject!

This reading helped me have more understanding
for myself. I owe my executive assistant a little grace, considering he/she is dealing with reconditioning 35 years worth of junkie thinking. I extend my apologies to my executive assistant!.....for having unrealistic expectations of you. You really are doing a fine job! Carry on, I'd wouldn't be Free & Healing without you!!

Lou - Keeping it simple, One day at time & NTAP now ='s
2 Months, 3 days Free and Healing

LizMuse
LizMuse

August 27th, 2007, 7:50 pm #31

That memo, I mean note, is a brilliant, fantastic explanation of what goes on once the 72 hours passes. What a great tool to throw in the mix - Thanks!
E.

I have been quit for 1 Week, 5 Days, 23 hours, 43 minutes and 49 seconds (12 days). I have saved $49.76 by not smoking 207 cigarettes. I have saved 17 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 8/14/2007 5:11 AM

Suzi
Suzi

August 29th, 2007, 8:17 am #32

HA HA HA KATTATONIC!!! LOVE THE EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT BIT!!! Cheers, Suzi

I have been quit for 1 Week, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 42 seconds (7 days). I have saved $31.54 by not smoking 157 cigarettes. I have saved 13 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 8/20/2007 10:00 PM

MemeReed329
MemeReed329

October 16th, 2007, 5:48 am #33

wow, awesome and right on the money. this is so accurate!

One week, six days, 18 hours, 16 minutes and 56 seconds. 275 cigarettes not smoked, saving $72.93. Life saved: 22 hours, 55 minutes.

kysbrlady
kysbrlady

November 7th, 2007, 7:26 am #34

Here's a great read for some of our newcomers. It was (and still is) one of my favorites regarding triggers.

Kathy - I have been quit for 1 Year, 7 Months, 1 Week, 2 Days, 11 hours, 27 minutes and 12 seconds (588 days). I have saved $2,765.83 by not smoking 23,539 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Months, 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 17 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 03/28/2006 6:00 AM

AbOlivigail
AbOlivigail

November 13th, 2007, 1:27 pm #35

It never fails that I find just what I need here every time I log on! My EA has been sneaking up on me at really strange times, and has actually been hanging around this weekend.

I have discussed the new policy with him, and he says, "Very good, Miss. Would you like a chocolate instead?"

Jenny - Free and Healing for Seventeen Days, 8 Hours and 56 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 4 Hours, by avoiding the use of 347 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $104.31.

annies1
annies1

December 16th, 2007, 6:41 pm #36

This is an excellent post and I only wish I had found it earlier to show to my Friend, I have NTAP since the 30th December last year. A friend of mine figured that if I could give up a 40-50 a day habit then so could she - a 20 a day habit (her words not mine)and so she "quit" 3weeks after me.

We used to go out together for drinks around once every 2months and we haven't done that at all this year- she just always made an excuse, she stopped going out with work colleagues as well and would only go out with her husband.

We went out on Friday - and she smoked!!! I was absolutely stunned, it seems that when she has a drink her Executive Assistant reminds her that she needs to smoke and she didn't want any one to know, she tried to convince me that she has still quit!

Looking back I think that on her part she looked at how many I smoked and how many she did and thought perhaps that she didn't need to try so hard with her quit, I felt lied to when I found out, which is what sent me back to this site, to re-confirm my quit, so many other things fit into place now and I don't think its only when she has a drink that she smokes. However I have since figured that it is not for me to feel betrayed - its only herself she is lying to.

My EA actually appeared yesterday for the first time in a long time - I was putting my Christmas tree up, glass of wine, check. Mince pie, check, Christmas decorations, check. Ciggarettes, woops, no check! I think he has learned though and as his pay has been stopped I hope he will quit before the year is out!

I have been quit for 11 Months, 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 5 hours, 36 minutes and 45 seconds (351 days). I have saved £3,406.95 by not smoking 14,049 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 18 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 30/12/2006 05:00

January 15th, 2008, 7:46 am #37

From Restoring volume control:
Quitting Smoking
So what do you do, if you are addicted to smoking cigarettes and you want to stop? When use of an addictive drug like nicotine is stopped, the level of signaling along the many affected pathways will change to levels far from normal. If the drug is not reintroduced, the altered level of signalling will eventually induce the nerve cells to once again make compensatory changes that restore an appropriate balance of activities within the brain. Over time, receptor numbers, their sensitivity, and patterns of release of neurotransmitters all revert to normal, once again producing normal levels of signalling along the pathways. There is no way to avoid the down side. The pleasure pathways will not function at normal levels until the number of receptors on the affected nerve cells have time to readjust.

Many people attempting to quit smoking use patches containing nicotine to help them, the idea being that providing nicotine removes the craving for cigarettes. This is true, it does -- so long as you keep using the patch. Actually, using such patches simply substitutes one (admittedly less dangerous) nicotine source for another. If you are going to quit smoking, there is no way to avoid the necessity of eliminating the drug to which you are addicted, nicotine. Hard as it is to hear the bad news, there is no easy way out. The only way to quit is to quit.
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on March 29th, 2009, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carneadese.ffn
Carneadese.ffn

February 24th, 2008, 4:10 am #38

That post really hits me as well. I have been doing pretty well in holding off the triggers and cravings. I've even been outside while others smoke and did not feel a desire, I even ventured back into the store where I bought most of my smokes from and didn't get a craving, but on Friday at work they had a company provided lunch of hot chicken wings from a local bar that uses an owl in their advertising. The second I smelled those wings until I went to bed last night I was really wanting a smoke.
It's passed now, I didn't take one but it was a really powerful craving that I hadn't really felt since the day after I quit.

Robyn
Robyn

June 27th, 2008, 11:41 am #39

I want to thank you for your E.A. post. Today is day 29 and I've been bombarded by triggers today after a fairly peaceful week and half. I realized the stressors that popped up today would have had me soking like a chimney and my brain was definetly reminding me of the past associations. Reading your post helped me see the connection and not feel as overwhelmed with thoughts and triggers appearing "out of the blue"Robyn - Free and Healing for Twenty Nine Days, 10 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 883 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $254.06.

August 10th, 2008, 9:17 am #40

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on March 29th, 2009, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

March 29th, 2009, 11:04 pm #41

Yersinia
Yersinia

October 14th, 2009, 1:15 pm #42

I originally read this post last week (encountered it in hours and hours of random reading here at Freedom to strengthen my brand new quit) -- while still only allowed to lurk (I was still within the first 72 hours of quitting so hadn't yet rid my body of all the nicotine!), so I couldn't comment on it then. Now that I can, I'd like to mention that I found the concept very interesting and the post extremely well written, although I still needed some more quit time under my belt to really and truly begin to "get it." Yesterday (day seven of my quit) some comments I made in my 1st Post/Journal thread inspired someone to put a link to this post. I hadn't forgotten about this post and knew I wanted to read it again since it was now a lot more relevant to my present quitting experiences but I couldn't recall where on the forum it was, so I'm grateful for the link that person supplied.

So, now that this is relevant and I've re-read it, I'd like to ask if you or anyone else knows how to tell their Executive Assistants:

"I have a special project for you, priority, to be done right away. I need you to please go through all the folders in the filing cabinet, take out all the memos containing reminders to buy, grab or smoke cigarettes -- and shred them! Then you can go back to your regular work."

Yeah, I know, I sound like I'm kind of in a hurry to feel comfortable as a New Nonsmoker (and it's true: I keep reading how I'll become calm and triggers/craves/feeling on edge will stop but I haven't experienced it yet), but hey, I also couldn't help but recall a couple past jobs I had as a department secretary/administrative assistant, where organizing or reorganizing the filing cabinets/filing systems for the department were among the "special projects" I was asked to do (and did). So if I could do that for those employers, why can't my Executive Assistant do it for me? Seems to me the EA would be more efficient if he would just implement the new policy (no smoking) consistently and across the board, because I am the boss and I'm telling him to!

;-)

~Yersinia.

Akaash
Akaash

May 13th, 2010, 9:11 pm #43

Great post!
The EA guy need some upgrades hehehehe

Lauriemi
Lauriemi

November 15th, 2010, 3:44 pm #44

Timing is everything, and it was great reading this Kate.  Helped me lighten up on myself.  (GRIN)

Thank you,
Laurie

January 27th, 2011, 11:01 pm #45

Exactly what I needed to read today. My EA was working hard today, one of those days where for some odd reason things are wrong, messed up etc. Now I am home realaxing my son is cooking dinner and I decided to come here to educate myself even more. Thank you, it really helped :D

NoNic4Neal
NoNic4Neal

January 28th, 2011, 12:17 am #46

Good post, provides a great way to look at those cravings, My E.A. has been busy, but I'm retraining him. Neal - Free and Healing for Seventeen Days, 20 Hours and 17 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 446 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $89.29.

msanders
msanders

January 28th, 2011, 3:03 pm #47

Great post, and I can see why it's gotten almost 7 years of comments. I've only been nicotine free for about 1 week now, so I'm in the intense "re-programming mode" right now, which in some ways, seems harder than the relatively short "detox" phase.

But I have a fairly routinized life, so I've hit almost all the triggers I will hit. Getting up, going to bed, going to the bank, going home, getting ready for church, before a meal, after a meal, during poker, etc... we all have a billion of them.

One of the biggest I won't hit for a while here in Illinois is seasonal- I used to feed the beast a lot while I would grill. But I'm more than ready for it, and thanks to this site, I know it's coming. So I've already set the EA the memo.

msanders
msanders

March 29th, 2011, 6:47 pm #48

*Update*

The EA got the memo. I've grilled and used the smoker (as in a meat smoker) several times now with no trouble. My executive assistent is well trained now and in maintenance mode.

SallyMC
SallyMC

July 24th, 2011, 8:14 am #49

Wonderful mental image.......  Thanks Kay for a great post. 

Victorylass
Victorylass

November 20th, 2011, 7:38 pm #50

Fantastic, right on the money! This is exactly what life is like two months into my quit. My EA is still on the alert sometimes, what a gal. Sometimes though, when having a meal with others who smoke, my EA had completely forgotten about cigarettes until someone else lit up. She's quick, that one. I imagine that for many months to come, my subconscious and I are going to have a running joke about "getting that NTAP memo". Will probably dream of it tonight. Thanks and cheers!