To Smoke, Quit Or Relapse Is Just A Decision Away!

To Smoke, Quit Or Relapse Is Just A Decision Away!

July 8th, 2002, 7:58 am #1

A Decision Away

I distinctly remember the day I set in motion the process that started me down the road facing many years of addiction to nicotine. I was a young teenager at the time, the same time that many of us addicts begin. I took a pack of my fathers Camels (no filters back then) and the rest of the story is much the same as all nicotine addicts stories were and many still are today. Most of us end up spending many years of enslavement to a highly addictive drug with life threatening or life ending consequences for many.

(if you haven't seen the following underlined articles click on them to open)

Have you met Noni?

As I sat on a picnic table at a beach puffing away, getting dizzy and ill with each puff I took, My friend who was showing me the way said to me. " It doesn't take long to get used to them." Later that day as I was complaining to him how bad they made me feel, he chose exactly the right words for me to hear. He said, "You want to fit in with the rest of us don't you?" Of Course I did. I was a teenager struggling to find my own identity.
I didn't realize then....... I was just
A DECISION AWAY
from a lifetime of addiction and potential health related problems or lifetime of comfort.
Last December 30, 2002, 35 plus years later, I mentally struggled with another unsuccessful quit. This one was no different than my many other failed attempts. Failure came within hours as if it was destined to be. That afternoon I managed to beg a cigarette from a fellow addicted friend and later in the day find a long butt in my garage. Later that evening I found myself staring in an empty garbage dumpster looking at a long butt, dumped by me earlier that afternoon as I threw out my garage butt can. My mind raced with the thought of performing a rescue operation to save my Friend from spending a cold and lonely night in the bottom of that dumpster. I also knew by doing this, mouth to filter contact would have be performed. A disgusting but doable act by one desperate addict needing a fix. As I drew closer to that dumpster with my shovel in hand, mentally preparing for that lifesaving act of retrieval, I paused for just a moment and asked myself if this is what I really wanted to do. I knew in my heart, if I smoked that butt, I would again be putting off, for who knew how long, another attempt of my Ceremoious New Years Quit. You see, this quit was just one of many New Years Quits attempted in the past and all suffering the same fate, relapse. As Fall and Winter approached every couple years or so, I would ask myself if another attempt was in order for an upcoming year. The somber realization was, as each year passed and each quit failed, it became increasingly difficult to make that decision one more time while so many ghosts of previous failures surfaced. Somehow I managed to compose myself enough and walk silently back to my yard, leaving My Best Friend In That Dumpster to his own deserving fate.
It has now been 6 Months 1 Week 13 Hours 36 Minutes 18 Seconds and counting since I walked away from my former best friend. My life now has taken on a different look. I am no longer dependent on nicotine for my daily life. I no longer breathe hard as I perform every day task around my house and yard. I can ride my bicycle vigorously for 12 - 15 miles with increased breathing but not with difficulty. This is a major difference than gasping for each breath. I dont smell like an ashtray. My self esteem is higher. I am more efficient at my job. Yes, because I concentrate more on what problems are affecting my projects and not day dreaming when the meetings or discussions will be over so I can go outside and get my fix. I no longer feel isolated from people who choose not to smoke. The list can go on. I would not change the way things are now for anything. I love my new life.
Just six months and a week ago, as I stood at that dumpster, I didn't realize I was just........
A Decision Away
from remaining and addict for the rest of my life or feeling this comfort and satisfaction I possess and cherish so much today.
If you are a young person as I was, wondering if smoking is the thing to do or looking to fit in due to peer pressure, understand this. You are just...
A Decision Away
from altering the outcome of your life for possibly many years or ending it earlier than normal. Take some time to think about that decision before traveling down a road you will come to regret.
If you are presently using cigarettes to deliver your drug of choice to your system every 20 - 30 minutes, try to believe you are just
A Decision Away
from being free and comfortable from your addiction. Doing this will allow you the you the ability to lead a more comfortable and healthier life. By making that decision, the amount of comfort you will feel in a relative short period of time, totally eclipses the amount of discomfort associated with the healing and withdrawl process. It is well worth the small price to pay.
If you are a member of Freedom, a lurker and already nurturing a very promising quit and perhaps struggling a bit or just entertaining junkie thoughts, always remember you are just
A Decision Away
from taking that one puff that will set the wheels in motion again for who knows how long. Making the right decision is just a matter of a rational thought from an educated mind. Of course the right decision will be....

Never Taking Another Puff
You Can If You Think You Can
Roger
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on March 8th, 2009, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2002, 9:05 am #2

Amen brother. 6 months removed from your decision, you've gone from a dumpster-digging slave to an inspirational beacon. Proud to be...

your quit brother,

Bob (6 months, 2 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes, 20 seconds removed from a decision made very very late one night as the last billowing clouds of smoke from the last cigarette belched forth from my mouth, seeking its final resting place, in the stained curtains above my desk.)

July 8th, 2002, 9:20 am #3

Roger

Your post touched me a great deal. Your words will ring true in the hearts of all ex-smokers I'm sure, not to mention reminding us all once again WHY we quit and continue to stay quit.

Another brick in the wall of knowledge. Thank you.

Peace,
Tatum

Been kicking Nicodemons Butt to the Curb For 2 Months 1 Week 1 Day 10 Hours . Cigarettes not smoked: 2083. Money saved: $260.47.

July 8th, 2002, 8:13 pm #4

Thank you.

July 8th, 2002, 9:05 pm #5

Nice post Roger.

July 8th, 2002, 10:15 pm #6

Roger,

Excellent post. I hope that this will reach some young smokers or folks teetering on the edge of quitting. I feel sure that it will help them to make the right decision.

Rosemary--Nicotine free for 4 Months 3 Weeks 6 Days 9 Hours 27 Minutes. Cigarettes not smoked: 2947. Money saved: $736.97. Life reclaimed: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 18 Mins 51 Secs.

July 8th, 2002, 10:25 pm #7

Thanks so much for this post Roger. It reconfirmed my decision not to smoke today.
yqs mirigirl

And Roger is this post in our relapse threads? I would like to bring it back to the message board now and again.

July 8th, 2002, 11:18 pm #8

Well said Roger. You deserve a standing ovation.
Kelly
(4 months +)
Last edited by headbo (gold) on March 8th, 2009, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2002, 1:24 am #9

This is not just for lurkers and wantabees It is for all of us who want to remain nicotine free. Just One decision IS all it takes. Good post Roger. Cathy ~ GOLD CLUB

July 9th, 2002, 5:55 am #10

Great post Roger - A prescription for quitting, and also a prescription for life

Marty

July 9th, 2002, 8:54 am #11

Wonderful post, Roger. Well said.

I made my decision 6 Months 1 Week 3 Days 20 Hours 53 Minutes 37 Seconds ago. Cigarettes not smoked: 4436. Money saved: $1,109.01.

July 28th, 2002, 8:47 am #12

For anyone wanting to quit, thining about quitting or just a decision away and teetering on the edge..........

You Can If You believe You Can.

July 28th, 2002, 12:18 pm #13

Lurkers and Newbies,
If you are afraid to quit smoking, please give it a three day chance. Quit for three days, and then reevaluate how you feel. In 72 hours, the nicotine will be out of your bloodstream, and the worst of the withdrawal symptoms should be over with. In total, the physical withdrawal takes around two weeks, give or take.
Think how tired you are of being enslaved to nicotine. There may be some discomfort involved in quitting but it is so worthwhile. Quit -- you can do it. We are provided with the tools to quit at whyquit.com.
Please join us. You won't regret it. I feel really good having quit for eight months. I get so much more done now that I have quit smoking.
yqs, Janet

September 19th, 2002, 10:35 am #14

No matter who we are or how long we have been quit........each and every one of us are just a decision away..............
The right decision of course is........Never Take Another Puff.
Believe in yourself.....You Can If You Believe You Can
Roger
I have chosen not to smoke for 8 Months 2 Weeks 4 Days 19 Hours 37 Minutes 50 Seconds.
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on March 8th, 2009, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 27th, 2002, 3:18 am #15

Saw a movie last night, that had a good quote for the person waiting to make the decision to quit:
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."

November 12th, 2002, 11:57 am #16

Wondering what the right decision is?
Of course the answer is...
Never Take A Puff ~ Never Take Another Puff
You Can If You Think You Can.......
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on March 8th, 2009, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 28th, 2002, 3:38 am #17

Thank you Roger, what wonderful words of wisdom.
Free4ever.

December 28th, 2002, 12:28 pm #18

"Later that evening I found myself staring in an empty garbage dumpster looking at a long butt, dumped by me earlier that afternoon as I threw out my garage butt can. My mind raced with the thought of performing a rescue operation to save my Friend from spending a cold and lonely night in the bottom of that dumpster."
I've done worse and many of you have too!
As one of our members once said,
It's our birthright to be free!
Thanks Roger : )

February 23rd, 2003, 1:14 am #19

You Cannot Relapse Unless The Decision Is Made By You! The Best Decision Is As always.............
Never Take Another Puff

February 23rd, 2003, 1:36 am #20

Thanks for bringing up this post, Roger.

I've never mourned for the loss of smoking since I quit, but I AM mourning the fact that I ever started smoking to begin with. I wish with all my heart that I hadn't. All I can do is cry for all the wasted years and most of all, that I wouldn't even NEED to be part of a quit smoking support group and have to be reading posts such as this. I know playing the game of "what if" is totally futile because it changes nothing, but maybe when I come through these intensely sad feelings I'll only be stronger in my quit. I can hope so anyway, because as sure as I am that I have 10 fingers and toes, I know for SURE that I do NOT want to feel this way forever. I want to always feel the pure confidence and enthusiasm of my first month and nothing but. But as I learned last night, those feelings are all well and good but complacency must be gaurded against at all times. Yes, it **** but I guess there's no way around it. I started smoking in the first place and set in motion all these circumstances and repercussions I WISH I'd been aware of back then.

Maybe they should put words of addiction truths on packs of cigarettes in addition to the health hazard warnings. It might not be a bad idea to warn of the mental anguish and struggles one inevitably has to go through when they finally do decide to quit.

Lazuli
~ Quit Proud For 1 Month 3 Days 9 Hours 39 Minutes 58 Seconds!
1032 Forlorn Gag-a-rettes
still sitting on the store shelves, unloved, unwanted & Definitely NOT smoked ! ~

March 10th, 2003, 12:34 pm #21

April 18th, 2003, 4:44 pm #22

Decisions. Make the next right one....

May 6th, 2003, 9:36 pm #23

Decisions are a very big deal in teen drug prevention. I should know, I have had to take two classes about how to teach kids not to abuse substances.

It's always about "Decision-Making Tools". They used to just teach teens about the facts of drugs, such as what the high was like, what the drug looked like, and (in a limited way) what the drug could do to you. Now they are focused on helping kids have the tools to make the right decision.
Do I remember when I started smoking? You bet I do. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had worked all year to pay for half of the tri-state band trip to Europe for a summer. My parents paid for the other half. During rehearsals I met this really cool girl named Molly from New Jersey and we quickly became great friends. She was smart and kind of exotic and very thoughtful, but she also smoked Marlboro Lights and I was so, so, so impressed. In Belgium we went to a bar and she taught me to smoke.

"You're holding it wrong. . .hold it on that little orange part where your fingers go." (I had been holding it about 3/4 of the way down the cigarette.)

"Ok, now **** in so I can light it for you," she said.

"How come I have to do that?"

"I don't know, it just doesn't work if you don't. Now inhale. . ." she lit the cigarette. I coughed, inevitably and instantly. She laughed. The cigarette went out. We went through the same thing again.

I held the cigarette politely and watched the smoke curling up into the cheap, stained-glass lamp above the table and sipped my first beer and I felt like I was finally living.

"You have to keep dragging on it, silly," she said. I dragged and coughed.

"You're not inhaling. Look, you have to **** it all the way down into your stomach almost." She demonstrated. I obliged and didn't cough.

"Hold it. . .hold it. . .do you feel it in your lungs? Ok, that was a real drag."

And from then on, I was a real smoker.

When I think back to that scene I can't believe how ignorant I was. There were kids all around me who were rolling their eyes at us. We were all friends, and they weren't angry at us, they just thought it was insane. I remember this one guy pulling me aside and telling me that he had watched his grandfather die from smoking. I thought he was lame for making such a big deal out of it.

I didn't know anything about addiction. I knew smoking is bad for you, but I had no idea that you really couldn't stop, once you started. I didn't know that I'd still be smoking for years after that first cigarette. I didn't know that it would cause me to be either an active or recovering addict for the rest of my entire life.

Why didn't I know that? I guess it doesn't really matter.

But I know it now. Every time I think about smoking again I remind myself. I have the tools--I know what it means to take that cigarette, and it doesn't have anything to do with "living," the way I thought it did back when I was 17.

The decision is very, very clear to me now.

Alex
2 months 3 weeks 1 day nicotine free

May 6th, 2003, 10:11 pm #24

Just found this great Joel post that I wanted to cross reference here.

Alex
Last edited by MsArmstrongKIS on January 28th, 2015, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2003, 8:09 am #25

Thank you for that wonderful post which I really needed..........I am having a difficult afternoon. Nothing in particular that has set it off but I am having cravings, attitude and longings for a cigarette. I am at work so my usual cure is not an option (taking a very hot bubble bath and chanting my "I can do it theme song". It is really not a crisis so I don't feel right posting it as an emergency, I will get through this. I just find myself very very irritated at everything. Thank you for reminding me that a relapse could be just around the corner and that it really is only a decision away. I only have 28 minutes left at work and then I am on my way home to my bubble bath. Thank you again
I have been free two weeks, one day ........and halfway through the second day