To Smoke, Quit Or Relapse Is Just A Decision Away!

To Smoke, Quit Or Relapse Is Just A Decision Away!

Roger (Gold)

08 Jul 2002, 07:58 #1

A Decision Away

I distinctly remember the day I set in motion the process that started me down the road facing many years of addiction to nicotine. I was a young teenager at the time, the same time that many of us addicts begin. I took a pack of my fathers Camels (no filters back then) and the rest of the story is much the same as all nicotine addicts stories were and many still are today. Most of us end up spending many years of enslavement to a highly addictive drug with life threatening or life ending consequences for many.

(if you haven't seen the following underlined articles click on them to open)

Have you met Noni?

As I sat on a picnic table at a beach puffing away, getting dizzy and ill with each puff I took, My friend who was showing me the way said to me. " It doesn't take long to get used to them." Later that day as I was complaining to him how bad they made me feel, he chose exactly the right words for me to hear. He said, "You want to fit in with the rest of us don't you?" Of Course I did. I was a teenager struggling to find my own identity.
I didn't realize then....... I was just
A DECISION AWAY
from a lifetime of addiction and potential health related problems or lifetime of comfort.
Last December 30, 2002, 35 plus years later, I mentally struggled with another unsuccessful quit. This one was no different than my many other failed attempts. Failure came within hours as if it was destined to be. That afternoon I managed to beg a cigarette from a fellow addicted friend and later in the day find a long butt in my garage. Later that evening I found myself staring in an empty garbage dumpster looking at a long butt, dumped by me earlier that afternoon as I threw out my garage butt can. My mind raced with the thought of performing a rescue operation to save my Friend from spending a cold and lonely night in the bottom of that dumpster. I also knew by doing this, mouth to filter contact would have be performed. A disgusting but doable act by one desperate addict needing a fix. As I drew closer to that dumpster with my shovel in hand, mentally preparing for that lifesaving act of retrieval, I paused for just a moment and asked myself if this is what I really wanted to do. I knew in my heart, if I smoked that butt, I would again be putting off, for who knew how long, another attempt of my Ceremoious New Years Quit. You see, this quit was just one of many New Years Quits attempted in the past and all suffering the same fate, relapse. As Fall and Winter approached every couple years or so, I would ask myself if another attempt was in order for an upcoming year. The somber realization was, as each year passed and each quit failed, it became increasingly difficult to make that decision one more time while so many ghosts of previous failures surfaced. Somehow I managed to compose myself enough and walk silently back to my yard, leaving My Best Friend In That Dumpster to his own deserving fate.
It has now been 6 Months 1 Week 13 Hours 36 Minutes 18 Seconds and counting since I walked away from my former best friend. My life now has taken on a different look. I am no longer dependent on nicotine for my daily life. I no longer breathe hard as I perform every day task around my house and yard. I can ride my bicycle vigorously for 12 - 15 miles with increased breathing but not with difficulty. This is a major difference than gasping for each breath. I dont smell like an ashtray. My self esteem is higher. I am more efficient at my job. Yes, because I concentrate more on what problems are affecting my projects and not day dreaming when the meetings or discussions will be over so I can go outside and get my fix. I no longer feel isolated from people who choose not to smoke. The list can go on. I would not change the way things are now for anything. I love my new life.
Just six months and a week ago, as I stood at that dumpster, I didn't realize I was just........
A Decision Away
from remaining and addict for the rest of my life or feeling this comfort and satisfaction I possess and cherish so much today.
If you are a young person as I was, wondering if smoking is the thing to do or looking to fit in due to peer pressure, understand this. You are just...
A Decision Away
from altering the outcome of your life for possibly many years or ending it earlier than normal. Take some time to think about that decision before traveling down a road you will come to regret.
If you are presently using cigarettes to deliver your drug of choice to your system every 20 - 30 minutes, try to believe you are just
A Decision Away
from being free and comfortable from your addiction. Doing this will allow you the you the ability to lead a more comfortable and healthier life. By making that decision, the amount of comfort you will feel in a relative short period of time, totally eclipses the amount of discomfort associated with the healing and withdrawl process. It is well worth the small price to pay.
If you are a member of Freedom, a lurker and already nurturing a very promising quit and perhaps struggling a bit or just entertaining junkie thoughts, always remember you are just
A Decision Away
from taking that one puff that will set the wheels in motion again for who knows how long. Making the right decision is just a matter of a rational thought from an educated mind. Of course the right decision will be....

Never Taking Another Puff
You Can If You Think You Can
Roger
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on 08 Mar 2009, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

OBob Gold

08 Jul 2002, 09:05 #2

Amen brother. 6 months removed from your decision, you've gone from a dumpster-digging slave to an inspirational beacon. Proud to be...

your quit brother,

Bob (6 months, 2 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes, 20 seconds removed from a decision made very very late one night as the last billowing clouds of smoke from the last cigarette belched forth from my mouth, seeking its final resting place, in the stained curtains above my desk.)

Tatum (Bronze)

08 Jul 2002, 09:20 #3

Roger

Your post touched me a great deal. Your words will ring true in the hearts of all ex-smokers I'm sure, not to mention reminding us all once again WHY we quit and continue to stay quit.

Another brick in the wall of knowledge. Thank you.

Peace,
Tatum Image

ImageBeen kicking Nicodemons Butt to the Curb For 2 Months 1 Week 1 Day 10 Hours . Cigarettes not smoked: 2083. Money saved: $260.47.Image

Hillbilly(Gold)

08 Jul 2002, 20:13 #4

Thank you.

Joel

08 Jul 2002, 21:05 #5

Image Nice post Roger.

Rosemary (Gold)

08 Jul 2002, 22:15 #6

Roger,

Excellent post. I hope that this will reach some young smokers or folks teetering on the edge of quitting. I feel sure that it will help them to make the right decision.

Rosemary--Nicotine free for 4 Months 3 Weeks 6 Days 9 Hours 27 Minutes. Cigarettes not smoked: 2947. Money saved: $736.97. Life reclaimed: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 18 Mins 51 Secs.

mirigirl (silver)

08 Jul 2002, 22:25 #7

Thanks so much for this post Roger. It reconfirmed my decision not to smoke today.
yqs mirigirl

And Roger is this post in our relapse threads? I would like to bring it back to the message board now and again.

headbo (gold)

08 Jul 2002, 23:18 #8

Well said Roger. You deserve a standing ovation.
Kelly
(4 months +)
Last edited by headbo (gold) on 08 Mar 2009, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

improud (golder)

09 Jul 2002, 01:24 #9

This is not just for lurkers and wantabees It is for all of us who want to remain nicotine free. Just One decision IS all it takes. Good post Roger. Cathy ~ GOLD CLUB

marty (gold)

09 Jul 2002, 05:55 #10

Great post Roger - A prescription for quitting, and also a prescription for life

Marty