Tired and a bit depressed

Retraining the conscious mind

Tired and a bit depressed

04 Apr 2009, 15:05 #1

Hello- I am new here. I discovered your site by fate actually and I am not even sure if this is the right place to post this. I decided to quit nicotine this past Sunday March 29th 11PM. Coughing being an issue. I had bought NRT therapy with the thought of "someday" I will quit. Well, I got up and got ready for work and thought-yuck I can't take those lozenges it's too early in the morning for that. (I have tried patches, gum, herbs, Chantix, Wellbutrin all with no sucess) I found your site and low and behold-it just made a whole lot of sense to me.

I have not taken a cigarette since the above date but I will tell you that these last few days have been very hard. Crying, tired, angry, no appetite. Have been exercising however, which does help somewhat. Why were the first few days easier?

The hardest time for me is in the evening-that is when I would come home from work, have a glass of wine and of course a cigarette or 2. It was a way to "relax" after work. I am no longer drinking alcohol either, have a drink want a smoke.

It is truly a terrible addiction-but with the help of this site and my own determination I will suceed.

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated.

04 Apr 2009, 15:56 #2

Hi Natasha, congratulations on your decision to quit. Hang in there. Yes there might be a few bumps in the road ahead of you. The fact is that it always gets better. Keep up the positive attitude and keep reading here it will strengthen your resolve to never take another puff. Not always easy but soooo doable! Congrats again.
I have been recovering for 2 Years, 4 Weeks, 12 hours and 9 minutes (759 days). I have saved $5,453.94 by not smoking 26,582 death sticks. I have saved 3 Months, 7 hours and 10 minutes of my life, My Quit Date: 3/6/2007 23:45

04 Apr 2009, 17:35 #3

Thanks for your words of encouragment Scott. Congrats to you as well. I am trying my hardest to break the old routine of smoking. The BIG cravings aren't so bad anymore. I smoked for 30+ years so old and long habits are hard to break as you well know.

Yesterday I had the day off work, I never smoked at work so that wasn't the problem, it was being home of all things! I decided to get a grip and go to a craft store to find something to do with my hands until the warmer weather arrives and I can be outside gardening, one of my favorite things to do. I live in the northern climates so spring is long in coming this year.

I am starting to feel the effects of being an ex-smoker, not coughing, able to walk faster on the treadmill etc. But I am so dang tired and I guess it is good food doesn't really appeal much to me right now, maybe I won't gain the dreaded weight. I have always exercised I am just going at it at a faster clip now.

This site has helped tons and I hope to start feeling happy again soon. It's terrible what a nasty drug like nicotine can do to you. Taking it one day at a time and will not EVER take another puff!

My name is Natasha, and I am a nicotine addict.
I have stopped nicotine for 5 days, 14 hours, 33 minutes and 14 seconds (5 days).I've not smoked 112 death sticks, and saved $28.04.
I've saved 9 hours and 20 minutes of my life.

05 Apr 2009, 07:09 #4

Hi Natasha and welcome to Freedom. The evenings were particularly hard for me too. Each day should improve, though. In no time, as the cravings diminish, you'll be able to trullly relax. In the meantime, there's plenty of reading on this site and whyquit to help you relax. - reading that pertains to your personal circumatances.
Hang in there!

05 Apr 2009, 14:54 #5

I appreciate your kind words as well. Last night was a bit easier. It's funny the words of encouragement from this board cheers me up more than my husband-he is 8 months quit and it bothers me when he tells me how I should be feeling. He used Chantix to quit and I tried that but it made me feel way worse than I feel going cold turkey. Then as a recovering nicotine addict he would lecture me and make me feel even more determined to NOT quit. I think everyone has to grieve, celebrate in their own way. I quit for myself (at least that is how I am feeling right now) and am working on healing and taking care of myself. I think I will truely congratulate myself when I am past the 2 week mark. Almost there-one week to go. I had quit before for that long but I was on NRT and after 2 weeks I was back on the smokes. Not this time.

I will never take another puff!

06 Apr 2009, 16:12 #6

Hi Natasha,

You'd put a note in Amanda's Journal that may better serve you in the long run to have here to review in your own Journal string.

Concentration is low for me too. I find myself forgetting what I was doing suddenly starting something and then stopping. It's weird, like your in the "Twilight Zone" or something, I spell words wrong etc. There are times when I am at work (administrator for a real estate office) that I could just doze right off too. What is up with that? Just my body healing?

I have this site open all day and refer to it during urges and such. I find it very helpful to hear from others who are going through the same thing

Here are some Articles from the library that may help explain some of what you
re experiencing during this adjustment phase of your initial recovery from active nicotine dependency.

Symptoms - Freedom's no medical advice policy
"Is anyone else experiencing the symptom of...?"

I want "something"
Recognizing needs

Blood Sugar Changes When Quitting

Joe J Free - GOLD - Free and Healing for Four Years, Two Months, Twenty Seven Days, 1 Hour and 56 Minutes, while recapturing 290 Days and 1 Hour of my life expectancy , by avoiding the use of 41771 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $11,135.80.
Last edited by Joe J free on 06 Apr 2009, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

06 Apr 2009, 18:25 #7

My worst day was day 10. Why? Because I had been hiding from the world while I quit. That day I decided to venture out. Crave after crave and one trigger after another. Lol. I don't know if you can relate but don't fear doing the things you normally did as a smoker, unless it's something like excessive drinking which lowers one's inhibitions.

I'm not much of a drinker but I remember my first beer after I had quit. I was feeling confident in my quit at that point and actually looked forward to facing my triggers. Once you face them once or twice its done and you can do that activity without fear from then on. My first beer was uneventful. I thought it would trigger a crave or something. But nothing. Nada. Zip. It was just a beer and I just wasn't craving nicotine. Two things had seemed so inseparable at one time.

The same thing happened concerning my morning cup of coffee, dealing with stress, etc.

These past few days have been hard? Good. Remember them. Use them to help keep your commitment to never using nicotine again. Keep in mind though, these early feelings of discomfort are temporary. That's why we suggest taking your quit one day at a time. Refresh your commitment each day. Early on it requires effort but before too long it won't even require a thought. Imagine entire days and weeks without even a thought of a cigarette. Give your quit enough time and this will become your reality. What is difficult and treacherous now will be effortless later.

Don't ever believe that how it feels to quit smoking the first few days or weeks is how it feels to be an ex-smoker. Be not discouraged. I assure you comfort will come.

Take a look at Freedom's Milestone Color Clubs. These milestones helped me focus on where I was going, taking my mind off of the temporary discomforts of where I was at.

07 Apr 2009, 16:14 #8

I am so very proud for you and yor good smar quit! Education is key. Now, the Real "Twilight Zone" would be be to throw away your commitment to Never Take Another Puff! Keep on reading and getting educated and always remember the One Rule of , "No Nicotine Today!" and you soon find yourself in the "Comfort Zone!" I promise.
CW "Gold"