thoughts, thoughts, and some more

jennie2304
jennie2304

October 29th, 2004, 4:52 am #1

Hey, everyone! I'm very new here and I'm just trying to navigate the board a little. I'm not much of a computer wiz either so that don't help. But, I have a question. I don't want a cigg but my brain doesn't stop thinking about them. I'm not having bad thoughts though. They're mostly good but I just want to think about something else for once besides quitting smoking at least for 5 minutes. Help! Any advice?

Thanks, Jennie
5days 2h 38 m

Eric Gold
Eric Gold

October 29th, 2004, 5:12 am #2

Hey Jennie,
I'm at work on the UPS computer so I don't have much time, but I can tell you that your quit is very young and it's hard to wipe away years of addiction in so little time.
Be patient with yourself and read read read as much as you can in Joel's library and in the message boards. Knowledge is a very powerful tool in fighting addiction.
LOL by the way WELCOME TO FREEDOM!!!!
Just hang in there and NTAP and it will get easier as time goes on!!
YQB,
ERIC

I don't have my quitmeter on here but I think it's about 113 days nicotine free

jennie2304
jennie2304

October 29th, 2004, 5:19 am #3

Eric,
Thanks for the reassurance. I can't chat either my 1 year old daughter just woke up.
jennie

kwhtlw
kwhtlw

October 29th, 2004, 5:44 am #4

The very best thing that you can do is to keep your quit strong. Use every thought as a weapon against ever using again. Use every piece of knowledge that you attain from Joel's library as a dagger in the heart of the enemy. Let's not forget! We are at war and the enemy never sleeps and never rests. We are our own enemy. We will be addicts for the rest of our lives. Your thought will have plenty of time to rest and focus on something else in the future when your quit is stronger. But for now use every weapon at your disposal. Every thought about using is your enemy and every thought that reinforces "Never Take Another Puff" is your ally.

Kevin, NicFree & Luv'n It for 133 days. I quit chewing tobacco on 6/17/04, have not spent $666.56 on copenhagen.

Pryde65 GOLD
Pryde65 GOLD

October 29th, 2004, 9:13 am #5

Hey Jennie! I don't think I've had the opportunity to welcome you to Freedom yet! So welcome! Your post made me chuckle...because I know how you feel...I thought, man...I feel great, I'm loving this quitting thing, I am facing my triggers and getting stronger every day, now can I have a moment's peace, please? My thoughts just ran round and round and thought of quitting seemingly all the time.

Just like anything, when it's new it is on our minds alot...I see you have a wee one(you have a one year old?)...I bet when you were first pregnant you thought about it all the time...Like a mantra, I'm pregnant, wow, I'm pregnant, I'm gonna have a baby..etc. So now your mind is going, I've quit! Wow, I actually did it, look at me, man, I'm doin' it, can you believe I'm doing this? Would you look at that, I'm doing it...

I know we are all different, but can't you just picture this little kid inside your head bouncing up and down, waving their arms...watch me mommy!!! See me doing so well! Well, that's what I pictured in my own head, anyway...lol

Sorry, I got carried away...anyway, the little one in your head will grow out of this stage shortly. And become a calm, confident, bonafide A#1 quitter.

Keep up the great quit, and let that voice have it's say, it's just excited for you!

Sue - Not a single puff for 1 month, 15 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes and 38 seconds (46 days). I chose not to smoke 1471 cigarettees, and saved $313.08.
I've saved 5 day(s), 3 hour(s) of my life.

Deborah21703
Deborah21703

October 29th, 2004, 1:01 pm #6

Hi Jenny-

Glad you found the site here! There is so much incredible information to help you in your quit, so like others have said, I hope you read and get as much knowledge as you can...

I'm still fairly new in my quit and could completely relate to what you said in your post. At the very beginning of my quit, I spent a whole lot of time thinking about smoking and cigarettes.

Happy thoughts, positive thoughts, amazed thoughts, but still way more thoughts about smoking and cigarettes than I wanted... And I was starting to wonder if i had gotten my body free from nicotine only to have turned my mind over to constant obsessing...

But, after awhile, without me noticing, really, my mind moved on to other things. I was glad I had stored up all those good thoughts, though, because they have come in handy when the urge to smoke hits. I can remember how good freedom felt at the beginning and I know I don't ever want to lose that.

Give yourself time and eventually, your mind will move on to other things, too, I'm sure, and you will have all those good thoughts to help you stay strong in your quit.

Sincerely,
Deborah
1 month 1 week and 3 days of freedom!