Thoughts that seem worse than the first days urges

Retraining the conscious mind

23 Jul 2002, 00:29 #21

Hi Joel!

I always make it a point to read your material. It is so inspiring and educative. Why I like this when compared to everything else is that it feeds my intellect. It gives me a very good feeling as I read your material.... that I am an intellectual and I listen when something is explained in clear terms. So, it is the basically a feeling of high self esteem!!

Thanks for educating me and motivating me to become smoke free. I am smoke free for 22 days now.

Satya

31 Jul 2002, 22:44 #22

Dear Joel,
It is almos magical that many of your messages and often John's too appear exactly on the day that I most need that very lesson.. Is that coincidence?. I am enormously grateful for the articles, the timing and the writers.. This one of yours and one of John's today were the answer to my very troubled night. Thanks, Lilac
3w-4d

31 Jul 2002, 23:14 #23

This is the exact thing I am experiencing right now! I will have days when I feel great like quitting is a breeze, then I start romanticizing a cigarette in my mind. I find the only thing that can get me back on track is to remember everything horrible I can about smoking. I read your stuff every chance I get. It has really helped me.

Thanks

T

01 Aug 2002, 04:34 #24

I came back to this message because there was a phrase in it that I want to remember--sort of use as an amulet. I quote,"not smoking will never be as good as that fantasy, but smoking will not be like that fantasy either." during this especially trying period I shall repeat that to myself many times. so that I am unable to dodge the truth of it. thanks, Lilac

01 Aug 2002, 04:50 #25

Hi, Lilac, it's me again. You're still hurting, aren't you? I'm gonna be away from the computer for awhile, maybe even until tomorrow, but I'll be thinking of you. You CAN do this, I know what you're going thru, been there, done that. You're doing so well, keep it up.

I tried to email you direct, but no address. Click on my name at the top of this post, it'll give you my address, write to me direct if you like.

Hang in there, darlin', one day at a time.

Dave

01 Aug 2002, 06:18 #26

Dear Hillbilly,
You are probably the neatest person in the world. It will be calming for me to know you are thinking good thoughts for me. I did 19 days by myself and then discovered Freedom which sheltered me until yesterday and then WHAMO!!!!! last night was awful. Today is so-so. I am not going to smoke but I would sure like to be a little happy about it. Your posts are great life preservers for me. Gratefully, Lilac

12 Aug 2002, 23:36 #27

Found my food for freedom to pack in my luggage...I'm taking this one to the west coast and back.

Dos (Dubious)
10 Weeks 6 Days 36 Minutes

19 Aug 2002, 07:42 #28

I keep telling myself of the future. Remember smoking times. Remember quits. Remember humilations.

Juan

28 Aug 2002, 15:40 #29

This thread gives me more of an ahhhhhhhhh feeling than any cigarette ever could!
Thank you
Clac xxx
3 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 16 hours, 46 minutes, 15 seconds tick tick tick

29 Aug 2002, 23:17 #30

Thank you!

The whole thread is definitely food for thought and will be a support for the next three days.

Irina
1 week 2 days and some house
more than 200 cigs not smoked

01 Oct 2002, 09:56 #31

I was just doing some phone support for a person who I just referred over to Freedom. Thought she would find this one particularly helpful.

11 Nov 2002, 23:24 #32

I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but this post is an absolute GEM.
I've always been more petrified of the days to come, of the maybe's and what-if's and being caught off guard. This is definitely a favorite of mine.

Tiffany

06 May 2003, 23:56 #33

Thank you for reminding me to keep my guard up. It's only been 1 week and 5 days and I'm starting to not think about cigarettes as much, That maybe I'm "healed". I need to remember that it is an addiction that I will always have. It may not be an active addiction but an addiction all the same.

07 Aug 2003, 16:27 #34

Thanks a lot, Joel - things are better now, and your prompt reaction and reading the articles also helped.
Like I said: I knew something would hit me the day I got back to work, but I wasn't prepared for the force it came with. Yet another experience and reminder of the addiction!
Well, one thought that comforts me is that even though I don't smoke then if I want I can just go down to the smoking room and chat with my smoking colleagues - if I miss this psychological aspect of my daily feedings, I don't have to miss it; my fellow smokers are still nice people and are still there to talk with - if I want to. Actually, I've already recommended whyquit.com to two of my colleagues.

28 Aug 2003, 06:41 #35

Thanks, again, Joel. It's amazing that even though I have have read this one, and the others you bumped to the top, that they still seem like a new read at times....those times when I need to read them the most.

Again, thank you. This site, and this information, really help me get through the good and bad days.

09 Sep 2003, 01:20 #36

this is the post I needed to read. I was having urges today and needed to read a message like this. Its true that you start fantizing about that AHHH cig. For me its not one particular cig but just that ahh feeling. But its true when you say that is not what smoking is like It really is like what it was when you quit. Sometimes life isnt always a bowl of cherries and not smoking didn't make it that way.

--Nonicfrank-
3w 18:45 smoke-free, 216 cigs not smoked, $55.62 saved, 18:00 life saved

12 Apr 2004, 07:51 #37

boy this hit me today my 47th day free from all nicotine am I glad to have this website-- thinking of the last cigarette I smoked instead of the first one gave me the ammo to get past the urge ---thank's joel--now I can get back to working on my BRONZ----DONNY

16 Apr 2004, 20:30 #38

Joel makes a really important point here about separating reality from fantasy.

Since I've quit & started again, quit & started again so many times in my history of addiction I'd like to add another thought that would trip me up and that is: feeling TOO good. After going months or even a year without smoking it's easy to believe that one little cigarette couldn't possibly hurt anything. You think to yourself: "I'm healthy. I'm strong and in control. Hey, I might even be invincible."

I won't trick myself that way anymore because now I recognize that I'm an addict and that was just another example of my junkie thinking.

Jenny
Enjoying my 34th day of freedom but not taking it for granted

01 May 2004, 02:57 #39

I've needed this post today, came here looking for a little bit of strength, and here it is. Thank you freedom. Just so you know you just CAN'T let your guard down, here I am, maybe an "oldbie" instead of a newbie by now, and I still needed a reminder that I can never take another puff.

So, my strength and resolve have returned, and I'll be ok again to roll with the punches.

All the best to you all.

Paula: 10 months, and so proud, today!

12 May 2004, 21:53 #40

I'm glad this one was brought up this week, I've really needed it. I'm losing my 8 year old black lab today. She's seriously ill and in a lot of pain, and we're going to help her end that misery this afternoon. All through it, I've had flashes of junkie thoughts. It's a good reminder that the thoughts are just that - thoughts - unless I forget to NTAP.

Thanks FREEDOM!!

Lynn, free and healing for 4 Months, 2 Days, 8 hours and 53 minutes (123 days), by not smoking 3,084 cigarettes. This has saved me $616.85 and helped me regain 2 Weeks, 23 hours and 48 minutes of my life!

02 Aug 2004, 13:44 #41

I have to be honest.... going on my first quit, I do ask myself, what if I reached for a cigarette right now. Would I really be repulsed? I am scared of that thought, even if it lasts only for a second, it is a reacurring one.

Would I be caughing like I did the first time? Would it be that one I've been romanticizing at times? Would I really have to start from scratch (that one I KNOW the answer too, my god, of course I would have to).

Curiosity killed the cat. I have no interest in taking the chance of finding out that everyone here has been right.

I feel too **** good today to give this up!!

28 Aug 2004, 23:27 #42

Man, I needed to read this today

Thank you Joel

Jayna
4 weeks 6 days 1201 death sticks not smoked

24 Sep 2004, 15:03 #43

This one is great! Thanks for posting this one for reinforcement. This is so true, the urge for me just snuck up on me & surprised me. I have been reading daily again. I am again reminded there is no GOOD reason to start smoking again. I had let my guard down and forgotten my quit, and was imagining that "one" wonderfully NASTY cigarette. I am so glad I came here for the support that is always given so freely and for the reinforcement that is always here. There is so much education here on the addiction of cigarettes and continue to learn everytime I come back here. Every feeling and thought I've had, someone else has had the same thoughts & feelings...I am not alone in this, and neither is anyone that comes to this site and reads. As long as they remember to NTAP!! I am too educated with this quit to ever start again. I must always remember my quit and celebrate it daily. Thanks again!

Still Reading & Still quit for 11 months + and counting!!

Carey

30 Sep 2004, 03:25 #44

Thanks for pulling this up Joel.

I am double green today, but the fantasy cigarette seems way too frequently present. The problem is now I can't lie to myself. I can't pretend it isn't the road to death and despair. I just hate it that it's there anyway!

Some people don't seem to have many thoughts about smoking, but you say every quit is different. After 46 years, what did I expect?

I have to say it's good to see so many 40+ first time posts. I felt like such a dinasaur in the beginning. Now I just feel like I spent an awful lot of very "dumb" years. Well, onward with the freedom family.

Thank you....all of you.

Mary Ann

18 Feb 2006, 08:08 #45

Remember cigarettes as they really were, not how you wished they were. Then when the urge is triggered, you will have the ammunition to squelch it. You will recognize that you were just having a bad moment, when you were quitting you were having "bad days." When you were smoking you were a slave to a product that was killing you. You fought long and hard to overcome that control and you never want to relinquish your freedom of choice over such a deadly product again. To keep the control, remember, when the urge is triggered-never take another puff!