thoughts and urges

Retraining the conscious mind

thoughts and urges

27 Nov 2004, 19:44 #1

I haven't posted since my first post because I was finding giving up very easy. Even when I went green I didn't bother to celebrate it because I didn't think giving up was very difficult for me.
Actually last weekend and this week have been quite hard. I've twice been out with work colleagues to discover I was the only ex or non-smoker in the group.
It seemed when I did smoke that nobody else did. Now I don't smoke it seems like everybody else does.
I know this is irrational and untrue but I envied these girls a little for their cigarettes with their glasses of wine - even though I didn't really like the smell of the smoke and found it a bit annoying. I've even thought about having one when I've been on my own (thinking "nobody would ever know").
I don't think these were serious thoughts but they did worry me and I've been reading a lot this week.
I wanted to put this link up - Thoughts that seem worse than the first days urges - because it was a great help for me, but I'm not technically minded enough to do it.
I'd recommend it to anybody whose having these worrying thoughts after an easy first quit.

Lucy

Free for 6 weeks, 3 days, 13 hours, 32 minutes, 47 seconds. Cigarettes not smoked 1,139. Money saved £284.75.

27 Nov 2004, 20:16 #3

27 Nov 2004, 21:22 #4

I've just had a couple of bad days as well! Though I'm nearly green I'm feeling the urge to smoke all the time. Thankyou for the articles you posted. I'm still going to bed smoke-free, reading your articles has helped me a lot. it must be a bad time of the year for ex-smokers, because I felt better about 10 days ago, like you, Lucy! But I'm so glad I haven't relapsed, I'm sure I would feel a lot worse -really a lot-If I had started smoking again!

27 Nov 2004, 23:27 #5

Thanks for the articles that you posted Joel. it's amazing how much they help - a million times more than NRT would I'm sure!

28 Nov 2004, 00:28 #6

Hello Lucy. There are probably people who would debate your stance that information can help a millions time more than NRT. Although you won't find any member here at Freedom debating this point.

NRT would probably help to make a person who is still feeding his or her addiction feel better than any information. For a person who is still smoking or using NRT's is still an active addict and still in need of constant fixes to stave off withdrawal for some limited amount of time.

For a person who has successfully broken free from the grip that nicotine once held on him or her though, information doesn't only help to make him or her feel better--it helps him or her to actually get better.

Information gives the ammunition to squelch the desire and thus not just helps the person get through a limited time period, but helps to prevent the person from taking a puff that can start a full blown relapse that can result in full days of physical withdrawal. Also, information can help the person avoid taking the puff and then ending up with years or decades of smoking which would result in mild to moderate withdrawal every day for those years and decades that he or she fails to keep his or her nicotine level at the bare minimum.

In the worst case scenario, taking a puff can end up putting people through years or decades of suffering constant mild to moderate withdrawal, followed by the real suffering that smoking can induce from the continued destruction of one's body and the chronic deterioration of health that smoking can cause--often ending up in an expedited premature death.

So information reinforcing a person's resolve to stay off of cigarettes has a much better chance of alleviating suffering than feeding any drug that purports to ease the suffering of quitting. The best way to avoid the suffering caused by smoking is simply staying resolute in your resolve to never take another puff.

Joel

28 Nov 2004, 01:55 #7

Hello Lucy

Oh boy, you lurk for weeks, then you make one post and Joel gives you eight hours of reading to do

Lucy, you've just highlighted something very important. When you start a quit, even if the early weeks are going smoothly, you still need to invest some time in learning about smoking, and learning about quitting. It's like an A grade student who is sailing comfortably through a math course --- if she stops learning, she could still fail the exam if a couple of tough questions come up. And "Smoking and Quitting" is at least as much a subject for study as math, and it's a lot more important to the student

Those thoughts you described are very dangerous, and they can threaten a quit. The terrific news is that you fought the thoughts, you rationalized them out of existence, and then you came here to talk about it. Good for you !!!

So now you're here, don't be a stranger. Post some more and chat to us ... once you've finished Joel's homework, of course

Marty
NOT A PUFF FOR three years, eleven months, four weeks : 26,226 cigarettes not smoked, saving £6,022.98. Life extended by: 13 weeks

28 Nov 2004, 02:09 #8

And I think I need to start celebrating my milestones more. I need to remind myself that I've done something amazing.

The support and friendship here is just what you need and reinforces what you're trying to do.

I have already recommended this site to many of my friends whio smoke. Whether they look at it or not is up to them. I know some haven't - they're probably scared it might make them give up! They all say that if I can give up anybody can - they're right but they're still scared to think that life is ok without smoking even though they can see that nothing terrible has happened to me in the last six weeks.

28 Nov 2004, 02:51 #9

Lucy, you are absolutely correct, quitting is no small feat and staying quit is an even greater accomplishment. Soooo... reward yourself....BIG TIME....YOU DESERVE IT.....and just for the record....It's very important to take every thought you have that glorifies smoking serious....deadly serious!! It only takes one dose, one puff, one chew, or one reckless thought to cause us to return to a life of slavery and addiction!! Think free, be free, reward your freedom. Never take anothe puff!!

Kevin, Nick-Free and Luv'n It for over five months.

28 Nov 2004, 04:24 #10

Lucy is Green
+2 weeks
Congratulations Lucy!!! I just want to congratulate you on your progress so far and hopefully start a little celebration for your achievements. In only 2 more weeks you will be double green and I hope you will post it. In the meantime remember that every day is a day to celebrate. It's great having you here with us. Hug that quit tight and never take another puff.
yqs, sue-Gold
One year, seven months, four weeks, one day, 22 hours, 31 minutes and 52 seconds. 24397 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,525.20. Life saved: 12 weeks, 17 hours, 5 minutes.

30 Nov 2004, 01:04 #11

WOOOHOOOOO
Lucy is green
Congratulations Lucy, you are doing great. But just like this little cutie stopped to smell the flowers, I hope you will stop in more often to do some reading and perhaps some posting. I am looking forward to your double green celebration Lucy. Milestones are important, makes us realize how far we've come. Remember the promise to NTAP
yqs Dina - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Twelve Days, 10 Hours and 10 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 22 Days and 6 Hours, by avoiding the use of 6411 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,332.31.

30 Nov 2004, 03:38 #12

HELLO LUCY,

CONGRATULATIONS ON TURNING GREEN. THIS IS A HUGE
MILESTONE, SO BE PROUD, YOU EARNED IT. REMEMBER,
NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN, WE ALL ARE ONLY ONE
PUFF AWAY FROM RELAPSE. SEE YOU AT DOUBLE GREE.
NTAP.

TOM, 12 MONTHS FREE

30 Nov 2004, 10:32 #13

LUCY IS GREEN!
Congratulations Lucy! You did it! 6 weeks - whoo hoo! what an outstanding accomplishment... I hope you will stop more often and start celebrating all of your milestones.. You deserve it every bit! I'm very proud of you.. Keep up the great work and I will see you (I hope) at double green!

Agnes - BRONZE, Free and Healing for Three Months, Twenty One Days, 21 Hours and 26 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 7 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 2032 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $837.03.