Thinking... but not missing

Anja329
Anja329

November 16th, 2004, 9:43 pm #1

Hi, I am Anna and i quit smoking 2 weeks ago. I want to ask longtime ex-smokers - when does one stop thinking about smoking at all and start thinking as a non-smoker?
My quit seems rather easy (who would think, after 16 years of smoking), I do not crave cigarettes very often, but what really drives me up the wall is just thinking about smoking - not nostalgic thinking, but just thinking. I mean, I do not go to bed every night thinking "Well done, Anna, no cocaine today, let's see if you can stay off it tomorrow", but this is exactly how I think about cigarettes.
Maybe, 2 weeks is too early, maybe, this is the price I am paying for being free, but will there be a day when I will not think about it at all?
Anna

DubiouslyDos
DubiouslyDos

November 16th, 2004, 10:14 pm #2

Great topic and I'm glad you posted. You are dead on about recognizing the unhealthy attachment you have/had about your nicotine addiction.

How Would You Deal With the Following Situation?
Fixating on a Cigarette

Once past the physical withdrawl the next hurdle my next hurdle was running the gauntlet of requests/suggestions/demands from your brain as I learned how to substitute new and healthier alternatives.
Post nicotine, life was still life, and I needed the library here at Freedom so that I could learn about what was happening to me. Each time you redirect your thinking to a healthy alternative, you are closer to being free from the cycle of addiction.

Here's a suggestion.... rather than allowing your mind to drift before sleeping back to smoking thoughts, why not read something from Joel's library or reaffirm your reasons for quitting. I've got to say, keeping my quit reasons in my pocket or with me when I was early in my quit really increased my comfort and helped me to stay on task.

I'm glad you're here and give your beautiful young quit a hug... there's no quit like an educated quit... and you've found the best education resources about smoking/nicotine cessation on the net!

Freedom from nicotine is all about taking our life back.
You can do this every day you reaffirm your quit, and choose never to take another puff.

DubiouslyDos
DubiouslyDos

November 16th, 2004, 10:17 pm #3

Cripes... obviously being free from nicotine doesn't mean you don't need your morning coffee.... I hacked up the tenses and forgot my stats.

LOL - but every day is a good day when I do not smoke...

Dubiously Dos
I have been quit for 2 Years, 5 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 22 hours, 11 minutes and 59 seconds (907 days). I have saved $4,085.65 by not smoking 27,237 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Months, 2 Days, 13 hours and 45 minutes of my life.

SweetLorraine (Gold)
SweetLorraine (Gold)

November 16th, 2004, 10:42 pm #4

Hi Anna,

Congratulations on your brilliant decision to quit smoking. When did I stop thinking about smoking at all for days, weeks, etc. for me around the three month mark - oddly enough I think about not smoking quite regularly, but that's my choice.

Congratulating yourself on not smoking each night is a good thing and if you were a cocaine addict then congratulations on not using each night would definitely be in order. Addiction is never cured only arrested. A calm acceptance of that is the price of freedom.

For me comfort crept in. Only after the fact did I notice, gee it's been days since I even thought about smoking. When will comfort happen for you? I can't tell you. But I can promise that you will experience it as long as you remember, just for today not a single puff, no matter what.

yqf

Lorraine Gold Club

Some links for you: I am an addict! hooray!
I am different, I'll never be comfortable
Every quit is different
Free relapse insurance? - recorded reasons, motivations and dreams

Crystal View1.ffn
Crystal View1.ffn

November 18th, 2004, 10:45 am #5

Wow, Anna, thanks for starting this discussion. CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to become FREE! I benefited already by reading your relfection and the responses. I, too, am new. One of my favorites is Quit Expectations - Start with Baby Steps! Take CARE!

Katie - Free and Healing for One Month, One Day, 12 Hours and 43 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 536 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $107.34.

Anja329
Anja329

November 25th, 2004, 4:27 pm #6

Thanks, Lorraine, it really helps to look at this from a different point of view. I have not been able to sign in the last week for some reason and could not answer right away, and now I have been off cigarettes for 4 weeks(!) and I think about them less and less.
And the links you suggest are great, I realize that I am an addict, but somehow I cannot say "hooray" :(.
I want to say to all who like me is trying to quit - it does get easier with time, it really does! I was so scared in the beginning, so depressed, but just 4 weeks - and I feel myself again. We just have to stick to it.
Anna

jessica92382
jessica92382

November 26th, 2004, 11:48 am #7

All I can say, Anna, is count your blessings.
I'm 2 weeks today, also. Everyone's quit is different. My first week (after 42 years as a smoker) was relatively easy. The second week has been terrible (wrought with depression and bursts of anger/rage).

Good for you on not missing the demon sticks. I suspect you will not think about them soon.