Theron's First Post

savoirfaireintheair
savoirfaireintheair

May 25th, 2008, 9:29 pm #1

Hi! My name is Theron. I am on day 11 of my cold turkey quit attempt.My story isn't really any different than so many others' story. I began smoking as a teenager, and have had an unbearable love-hate relationship with nicotine and cigarettes for twenty years. I began by sneaking cigarettes from my mom, who smoked and bought them by the carton, and gradually started buying them for myself. I know that I was hooked on cigarettes very early on in my smoking life, and one of the greatest challenges of my life has been learning how to live life without cigarettes. Cigarettes eventually killed my mother with a massive heart attack, and my addiction was so strong that not even that event, 14 years ago, was enough motivation to outweigh my addiction to nicotine. What a serious shame.

I have quit and relapsed many many times over the years. Each and every time I tried to quit, it was always with the use of some sort of NRT method, usually the patch. Generally, I did very well with NRT and was able to stay off of cigarettes for up to six months. And there were other times where I didn't last a week.

For me, my greatest weakness was the Law of Addiction. How many times in past quit attempts was I so foolish as to think that I could really "just have one" puff or cigarette, then go back to not smoking? Every single time I duped myself into doing this (which was every single time), I ended up smoking at my previous level again within a day to two. Every time. And the really sick part of it is that in later quit attempts at the moment I made the decision to just have one more puff or one more cigarette, usually at a moment of weakness, such as at a party, during an emotional moment, or with almost any familiar trigger from the past, I knew that I really could not just have one more puff or one more cigarette. Yet, I did it anyway, and found myself right back in the mess of addiction.

On November 1, 2007, I decided to try to quit again, but this time, used Chantix. Honestly, it really did help me to quit, and I remained nicotine free until about the first week of May 2008. At a party one Friday night, somebody offered me a cigarette, and I went right back to the old familiar lie of "I'll just have one cigarette." Needless to say, that was a lie. I smoked one after another and continued for the next several days. Finally a few days before May 14, I found the WhyQuit website and spent several days reading and re-reading many of the articles and information on the site. It really informed me and motivated me to try something I hadn't ever tried before...to quit cold turkey...and to inform myself on a daily basis about smoking and why it is so important for me to control my addiction to nicotine.

I have gotten so much information and so much inspiration from reading the articles and many of the posts on the site. Every day gets a little better, and I am starting to get a better self-esteem, and sense of my ability to live a full life free from nicotine. I have been running several times a week and eating better. All of these changes have led to me looking and feeling better than I have n years.

Right now, I realize that I am skating on thin ice. Always a puff away from slipping and falling and hurting myself. But recently, I think I have learned the information and accepted myself for the nicotine addict I am, and I have made a choice to remain nicotine free on a daily basis. Every night, I make a point of being thankful for one more day free of nicotine. Thanks for listening to me. I appreciate all of your help and support.

BattlingSprinkle4
BattlingSprinkle4

May 26th, 2008, 12:06 am #2

Hi Theron and Welcome aboard the Freedom Train!! I am SO glad that YOU made the decision to take back your life and your health and to stop letting nicotine make your decisions for you.

This is not a quit attempt, bear in mind. This is a real QUIT. You're not just trying to do it, you ARE doing it, right now! Just keep doing it every day, every hour, every minute if necessary. Every day is a day further away from being a smoker and a day closer to reaching your goal of being a comfortable, healthy and happy non-smoker. So just keep doin' it until it gets done!

We are ALL just a puff away from slipping and that's why we will NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! Never, ever again. Just keep coming here, keep reading, keep breathing and keep your head up!

Lila- Free for 58 days and LOVIN' it!!

soulagement0
soulagement0

May 26th, 2008, 12:35 am #3

Hi Theron,

It is great that you are here and being more than strong... you are being smart, by reading and learning about why you kept going back to smoking: the law of addiction! Your past attempts have nothing to do with your present quit. You did not know then what you know now and what you are learning here everyday.

Battling sprinkle is right to tell you this is not an attempt. You are doing it. It is a quit, YOUR quit. The only and last one you need.

It sounds so simple it almost seems downright silly (I admit that I rolled my eyes the first time I read it here it seemed so goody-goody-two-shoes)... But just Never Take Another Puff. You can adapt it as your mantra! NTAP and you will never, ever, ever have an active nicotine addiction again. And all those awful things you have always hated about being a smoker will no longer apply to you. None of them.

When I see folks smoking I just tell myself they're on the sinking ship and I'm on the lifeboat sailing back to shore. No way do I want to get back on.

Smobriety comes to: 0Y 1M 2W 3D 2H 23Mns €-Saved to date: €262.00

989 , can you believe it (?!?!) - 989 chemical-laden nicotine death and disaster tubes not sucked into the only body I'm ever going to get. And my body thanks me for it!

Sara

savoirfaireintheair
savoirfaireintheair

May 26th, 2008, 12:36 am #4

Lila! Thanks for the encouragement. You're right. Especially for somebody like me who has made the exact same mistake almost every time. The only thing I have to do is remember NTAP. Thanks!

savoirfaireintheair
savoirfaireintheair

May 26th, 2008, 12:40 am #5

Sara. Thanks for the encouragement. You're so right. It seems so cunningly simple, yet it is really true. Never take another puff! I emphasize how many times failure to recognize that "Law of Addiction," or failure to listen to the voice within, led me off path and back into nicotine addiction. This time is different. I know and accept that I cannot afford even to take one puff. There is no such thing as just one cigarette for me. I think that my new self-knowledge and attitude are the differences that will see me through on my journey to remaining nicotine free.

winna660
winna660

May 26th, 2008, 2:40 am #6

Congratulations Theron on 11 days!!!
I have beeen waking up and making the decision to NTAP every day for just over 2 years. I do not even know how many times I had quit in the past. Quitting was easy. I could quit every day. It was staying quit that was the problem. I quit once for 3 years and still didn't realize that the law of addiction is a zero tolerance law.DUH!
I owe a huge part of my success to all of the wonderful people at Why Quit. I still enjoy posting and will continue to do so for the rest of my long, long life.

Winna

Maisie Mai
Maisie Mai

May 26th, 2008, 3:50 am #7

Hi Theron
Well done on your quit you are doing so well and you will succeed now you have found the key to quitting. My story is like yours, quitting and failing many times using NRT. The no nicotine ever approach is simple but feels right to me
Remember Theron

You are the master of your own destiny
unless you choose nicotine

Maisie
I am proud to say that I have been totally nicotine free for 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 22 hours and 48 minutes (22 days). I have saved £110.16 by not smoking 459 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 14 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 02/05/2008 22:00

eriley1
eriley1

May 26th, 2008, 6:15 am #8

Welcome Theron & well done. You will never regret this decision you have made. It's been the best decision you will ever make in your life. Just get yourself as educated about this fight you are in with your addiction & you will be better prepared to handle what it may try to throw at you. Best of luck, Jenna 14 days free of the drug nicotine

28sedona2.ffn
28sedona2.ffn

May 26th, 2008, 9:13 am #9

Hi Theron and welcome to freedom

Congradulations on your quit of 11 days. I am another person who quit once for 2 years not understanding the law of addiction. I took a couple of puffs when noone was looking and that was all it took. This time I am resolved to Never Take Another Puff. Sometimes I do it one hour at a time, more and more now I take it one day at a time. One of the things I read that really struck home for me is that there is no such thing as just one cigarette. It will be all the rest of the cigarettes and nothing is worth going back to that. Congradulate yourself every night when you go to bed and wake up every morning saying not today. That's all there is to it. Peace, Caroline 39+ days.

savoirfaireintheair
savoirfaireintheair

May 26th, 2008, 10:00 am #10

Winna! Thanks! You people are so awesome. Two years nicotine free...incredible.

savoirfaireintheair
savoirfaireintheair

May 26th, 2008, 10:01 am #11

Maisie, thank you! Congratulations to you also on your progress. Everyone here inspires me so much! This is such an incredible site and an incredible help for me.

savoirfaireintheair
savoirfaireintheair

May 26th, 2008, 10:03 am #12

Jenna! Thanks for the encouragement! You're awsome. Isn't it incredible? That people who don't know each other, can be so supportive? Our commone human bonds and experiences make life so good! Thanks!

savoirfaireintheair
savoirfaireintheair

May 26th, 2008, 10:03 am #13

Caroline...thank you! I appreciate it. Congratulations to you for your quit! You inspire me.