November 20th, 2007, 8:15 am #201

Perpetual relapse. Isn't that what smoking really is, perpetual relapse with 20 to 30 minute failure breaks. Freedom is a home and haven for those serious about bringing perpetual relapse to permanent end. It may sound like a terrible exercise but take a moment to reflect upon the most horrible set of facts or circumstances that your mind can possibly muster, and then picture yourself going through each and every step necessary to move beyond the situation without relapsing to nicotine.

Baby steps, just one day and challenge at a time. The next few minutes are entirely doable! You're going home and the inner calmness and lack of addiction noise and nicotine chatter in your mind is comfort to behold. It's nice and much closer than it seems! Patience! Only one rule - no nicotine today, NTAP! John

December 29th, 2007, 9:10 am #202

Excerpt from above:

Don't get caught up in the mind games of a legitimate relapse. Instead, learn from the past and prepare yourself to face the future, no matter what it holds with your full commitment and resolve to never take another puff!
Joel

January 18th, 2008, 9:09 am #203

The Law of Addiction
The administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of dependence upon the addictive substance at the old level of use or greater.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

February 2nd, 2008, 3:33 am #204

Death is Not an Excuse to Relapse

As utterly horrible as it sounds, our mother and father are both supposed to die before we do. If our parent's death is a legitimate reason to relapse, then every recovering or recovered drug addict on planet earth has a valid excuse to once again release their now arrested dependency. As horrible as it sounds, think about the steps we each must go through in losing a parent or other close loved one. The horror of getting the most devistating news we may ever receive, the guilt of not having been there or stayed closer, possibly being involved in funeral arrangements, attending a funeral service, that last horribly silent goodbye, the anger, bargaining and depression, feeling oh so alone, picture yourself navigating the entire experience yet keeping your healing and freedom alive. There will still just be one rule ... no nicotine today! John (Gold x8)

Joel
Joel

March 1st, 2008, 8:07 am #205

There are in fact only two legitimate reasons to smoke a cigarette. They are:

You want to go back to smoking until it cripples then kills you

or

You enjoy withdrawal so much you never want it to end. If this is the case just take one puff every third day, withdrawal will last forever.

Any other reason you take it is not legitimate, and thinking that it is will only undercut your ability to ever quit and stay off for over life other things will happen. If one tragedy is a good reason, so will the next one be. To have to explain this to each and every members specific past life tragedy would tie the board up. It would in fact become a diversion to what everyone is here for. To focus on not smoking today.

We must remember the past, and hopefully learn from it. But the lesson had better be the real understanding that a past relapse was a mistake, a big mistake, one that if not undone now in itself will be a tragedy. If the lesson is anything else, that relapse was the biggest mistake you ever made in your life, one that in fact one day will cost you your life. Don't get caught up in the mind games of a legitimate relapse. Instead, learn from the past and prepare yourself to face the future, no matter what it holds with your full commitment and resolve to never take another puff!

Joel

March 13th, 2008, 7:44 am #206

Joel
Joel

April 26th, 2008, 3:45 am #207

I saw where a newer member was admiring another member who was quitting while dealing with a rather stressful time period. It worries me when I see comments like this because it makes me think that the person possibly feels that he or she may not be able to quit or stay off when encountering such stresses, or that it takes some extraordinary effort for people to quit or stay off under stressful times. That is not a philosophy that is really accepted here at Freedom. We feel that people can quit and stay off of smoking no matter what other situations they may encounter over their lifetime.

I am going to kick up a few other posts with this comment that all apply to this concept. It is crucial for all who read here to accept the fact that they will be able to stay off smoking under all times as long as they make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Ilona
Ilona

April 28th, 2008, 11:08 am #208

Busted...
That is definitely a comment I have made, a thought that I have had: "Wow, he/she is so brave to stick to the quit under that stress".
And yes (busted again!), it is because I am sometimes unsure that I would be able to do it if it were me!
Thanks for the various posts you brought up. As a newbie, I am still battling addiction chatter, slave thinking, from years of not being free, not being "smart".

The only real reason to start smoking again is to choose to be addicted to nicotine all over again....

Ilona

Joel
Joel

May 11th, 2008, 5:17 am #209

or

You enjoy withdrawal so much you never want it to end. If this is the case just take one puff every third day, withdrawal will last forever.

Any other reason you take it is not legitimate, and thinking that it is will only undercut your ability to ever quit and stay off for over life other things will happen. If one tragedy is a good reason, so will the next one be. To have to explain this to each and every members specific past life tragedy would tie the board up. It would in fact become a diversion to what everyone is here for. To focus on not smoking today.

We must remember the past, and hopefully learn from it. But the lesson had better be the real understanding that a past relapse was a mistake, a big mistake, one that if not undone now in itself will be a tragedy. If the lesson is anything else, that relapse was the biggest mistake you ever made in your life, one that in fact one day will cost you your life. Don't get caught up in the mind games of a legitimate relapse. Instead, learn from the past and prepare yourself to face the future, no matter what it holds with your full commitment and resolve to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel
Joel

May 15th, 2008, 7:07 am #210

Bringing up for preventative measures:

or

Joel

Joel
Joel

May 21st, 2008, 9:46 am #211

July 14th, 2008, 8:03 am #212

AmandaMarieChape0
AmandaMarieChape0

July 20th, 2008, 11:50 am #213

addiction chatter
slave thinking.

very interesting ways to put it. and quite true

Joel
Joel

July 20th, 2008, 9:42 pm #214

or

Joel

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

August 5th, 2008, 11:36 am #215

From the initial post:

We are a board dedicated to one simple premise. There is no legitimate reason to relapse. Some people may not like this premise. Some may feel that if the most tragic thing in the world imaginable were to occur, smoking would be understandable. Well, if a person relapses under such a tragedy would the rest of us understand. In fact, yes we would. We would understand perfectly what happened.

We would understand that the person who just went through a horrible life tragedy has just compounded his or her problem by thinking that somehow relapsing to a drug that will slowly cripple him or her, cost him or her a small fortune over the rest of his or her life, will make him or her a more nervous and sadder person for the rest of his or her life, and will likely eventually kill him or her. Do we feel bad for the person for the original problem? Sure we do. But the fact is every person on this board has past, present and will face future life tragedies.

But every person on this board has to recognize that no matter what the stress, smoking cannot solve it. All smoking will do is cause another problem, in many ways a bigger problem than the problem that led the ex-smoker to take relapse. While it may sound heartless to say a bigger problem, if the problem were a loss of a child, spouse, parent, sibling, or even a close friend, the bottom line is smoking can cause the death of you.

August 22nd, 2008, 5:28 am #216

Perpetual relapse. Isn't that what smoking really is, perpetual relapse with 20 to 30 minute failure breaks. Freedom is a home and haven for those serious about bringing perpetual relapse to permanent end. It may sound like a terrible exercise but take a moment to reflect upon the most horrible set of facts or circumstances that your mind can possibly muster, and then picture yourself going through each and every step necessary to move beyond the situation without relapsing to nicotine.

Baby steps, just one day and challenge at a time. The next few minutes are entirely doable! You're going home and the inner calmness and lack of addiction noise and nicotine chatter in your mind is comfort to behold. It's nice and much closer than it seems! Patience! Only one rule - no nicotine today, NTAP! John

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

August 24th, 2008, 8:01 am #217

Excerpt from above:

Don't get caught up in the mind games of a legitimate relapse. Instead, learn from the past and prepare yourself to face the future, no matter what it holds with your full commitment and resolve to never take another puff!
Joel

Joel
Joel

September 6th, 2008, 11:05 am #218

or

Joel

Joel
Joel

September 12th, 2008, 11:50 am #219

bringing up for preventative purposes

Joel
Joel

October 1st, 2008, 9:03 pm #220

From above but applicable again today:

I saw where a newer member was admiring another member who was quitting while dealing with a rather stressful time period. It worries me when I see comments like this because it makes me think that the person possibly feels that he or she may not be able to quit or stay off when encountering such stresses, or that it takes some extraordinary effort for people to quit or stay off under stressful times. That is not a philosophy that is really accepted here at Freedom. We feel that people can quit and stay off of smoking no matter what other situations they may encounter over their lifetime.

I am going to kick up a few other posts with this comment that all apply to this concept. It is crucial for all who read here to accept the fact that they will be able to stay off smoking under all times as long as they make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel
Joel

October 18th, 2008, 5:41 am #221

or

Joel

November 24th, 2008, 10:00 am #222

Excerpt from above:

But every person on this board has to recognize that no matter what the stress, smoking cannot solve it. All smoking will do is cause another problem, in many ways a bigger problem than the problem that led the ex-smoker to take relapse.

Joel
Joel

December 2nd, 2008, 11:34 pm #223

I saw where a member wrote how she was currently undergoing a major stressful episode but was maintaining her quit. It is an important concept for all of our members to understand, that even under the most catastrophic of conditions staying smoke free is not only doable but preferable. I am highlighting the post post below for the benefit of any person reading here and thinking to himself or herself that he or she does not know if he or she could stay off if ever encountering real stress. As it says above:

It is crucial for all who read here to accept the fact that they will be able to stay off smoking under all times as long as they make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel
Joel

December 3rd, 2008, 7:22 am #224

I saw where a member wrote how she was currently undergoing a major stressful episode but was maintaining her quit. It is an important concept for all of our members to understand, that even under the most catastrophic of conditions staying smoke free is not only doable but preferable. I am highlighting the post post below for the benefit of any person reading here and thinking to himself or herself that he or she does not know if he or she could stay off if ever encountering real stress. As it says above:

It is crucial for all who read here to accept the fact that they will be able to stay off smoking under all times as long as they make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

February 13th, 2015, 2:40 am #225