The Use of Scare Tactics

The Use of Scare Tactics

Joel

22 Apr 2002, 18:16 #1

Scare tactics have a bad reputation because of how they were used or more misused in the past. When you exaggerate the risks of anything, and a person finds out the real facts, it makes the whole message appear to be an exaggeration, if not an outright lie. Saying a dangerous substance does something that it does not do makes the listener disregard what the substance really does.

By this definition, quit smoking materials needs no scare tactics materials developed. The truth is scary. Smoking kills! Smoking causes more preventable deaths than anything else does in America, and the rest of the world is catching up. To illustrate the relative risk of dying from smoking as compared to the risk of dying from other factors, for every thousand 20 year olds that smoke today and don't quit, 6 will die from being murdered, 12 will die from accidents, 500 will die from smoking! This is scary stuff.

But is this a scare tactic? No, it is a fact. Is giving the message to the masses a scare tactic? No it is education. We need education. We need education to prevent the next generation being where smokers are now, we need education getting those of you who are now smoking to break the grip nicotine now holds on them. We need continued education to keep reminding those who have controlled it up to this point to remember, they are a puff away from being a smoker again.

Is that concept scary to you? It better be. You have all got to be terrified of the grip cigarettes can pose on you once again if given the opportunity. Don't ever give them that chance again. Cigarettes are an unrepentant serial killer. Open your door to them and they will slowly poison you until they accomplish their ultimate goal, they will kill you. Scary stuff-you bet. There is only one way to stop this killer-it is simply knowing to never take another puff!

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 15 Apr 2013, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

22 Apr 2002, 18:20 #2

Last edited by Joel on 08 Oct 2012, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Roger (Gold)

22 Apr 2002, 22:03 #3

They are a serial killer for sure. Slowly our society is accepting this.
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on 03 Apr 2009, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

08 May 2002, 11:06 #4

I am doing a school presentation first thing in the morning. I've lectured at this one school for over 23 years in a row, to a little over one hundred 7th graders each time. It is likely that I have students in this program who are children of some of students I did those first few years. Anyway, I'll be tied up in the morning but will pop in tomorrow afternoon. Have a safe smoke free day everyone--all it entails to pull this off is to stay focused tomorrow the same way you have been staying focused each and every day that the way to stay smoke free is to know to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

09 May 2002, 00:41 #5

Just got home from my presentation. It was to 135 sixth graders. Very good group, and when the assistant principle asked how many had a parent who smoked, it seemed like a good 25 to 30% of them raised their hands. The assistant principle assigned the kids to get their parents to look at www.whyquit.com tonight, so maybe we will have more lurkers than normal. I am going to bring up some posts that I think would be beneficial for people just looking in on a lark. Maybe we can help some of these kids help their parents learn that it is possible to never take another puff!

Joel

DMarkGold11

09 May 2002, 02:00 #6

I posted this in my first post/diary, but it probably belongs here more...

David is my 7 year old son, and one of the reasons that I quit was his pestering (NOT A GOOD REASON, but see my other post for the other reasons!), that being said.

In talking to a long time non-smoker at work he suggested something that I would like to hear what some of the oldsters thing about. He suggested that I sign a contract with my son (he might be a bit too young now) that as long as he never starts smoking I will never smoke again.

Realizing that this could have some negitive affects if either a) I fall off, or B) he starts smoking years from now, I think that the positive side may out weight the negitive.

What do you think?

Mark
1W 2D 16H 388-

Toast (GOLD )

09 May 2002, 04:57 #7

Scare tactics?

Reality.
Melissa
11 Months 2 Weeks 1 Day 17 Hours 50 Minutes 11 Seconds Free
7014 Less
$1,017.16 More
1 Mo 2 Wks 3 Days 17 Hrs 8 Mins 38 Secs Added
Last edited by Toast (GOLD ) on 03 Apr 2009, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Carolyn

09 May 2002, 05:35 #8

If you look at the picture in the previous post, you may notice an ashtray and a pack of cigarettes just to the left of the child. Watching Brian die apparently didn't scare someone in the house enough to quit smoking. The reality is the power of nicotine addiction.

Carolyn
I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Weeks 4 Days 6 Hours 26 Minutes 14 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 505. Money saved: $75.80.

Joel

09 May 2002, 05:42 #9

I figured we probably should put up the link to the Bryan Lee Curtis story from the picture posted above, just in case some people find themselves here at Freedom before actually being at www.whyquit.com. Here is the story associated with the picture: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

09 May 2002, 06:01 #10

One of the most important things we learn at Freedom is that we are all addicts addicted to the deadliest substance there is, nicotine. We also learn that there is only one person we should satisfy or quit for, and that is, ourselves. Whether we have quit for a day, a week, a month or thirty years, each of us is only ONE puff away from our addiction. It takes just one puff to send us back to our active addiction and it takes just one puff to kill.

"Smoking starts your heart pounding an extra 15 to 25 beats per minute, raises your blood pressure by 10 to 20 points. It CORRODES the delicate membranes of your lips and palate. In the lungs, it CHOKES the airways and ROTS the air sacs, leaving residue of cancer-causing chemicals. It deposits these and other dangerous poisons in your stomach, kidneys and bladder. All of this happens with EVERY cigarette you smoke."

Scare tactics? Take a look at the cold hard facts:

Tobacco use remains the leading preventable cause of death in the United States, causing more than 400,000 deaths each year and resulting in an annual cost of more than $50 billion in direct medical costs.

Each year, smoking kills more people than AIDS, alcohol, drug abuse, car crashes, murders, suicides, and fires - combined!

Nationally, smoking results in more than 5 million years of potential life lost each year.

Approximately 80% of adult smokers started smoking before the age of 18. Every day, nearly 3,000 young people under the age of 18 become regular smokers.

More than 5 million children living today will die prematurely because of a decision they will make as adolescents - the decision to smoke cigarettes.

Half of those who smoke at twenty and NEVER stop smoking, will die of smoking related causes. If a twenty year old smoker stops smoking at twenty one, he or she then increases their chances of living life free from a smoking related illness tremendously. The sooner we quit, the better the odds. We cannot control what our children will do in the years to come, but we can set an excellent example by not smoking ourselves.

Remember that to improve your life and your health, you must remember to NEVER take another puff.

Linda....after 41 years of smoking, free for 2 years, 4 months and loving every second!