The Terrible 3's

Joel

26 May 2008, 00:43 #61

This post applies not only to the issue of "threes," but also to seasonal triggers. Being that we are entering the holiday weekend which for many seems like the beginning of the summer season I thought it seemed appropriate to bring this one up.

Joel

23 Jun 2008, 05:13 #62

This thread touches on seasonal effects that can trigger smoking thoughts. Being that yesterday was the first full day of summer in the Northern hemispher, it seems appropriate to kick it up today.

Some triggers are weather contigent, others are tied to our personal routines that sometimes start to vary because of time of year. Triggers may come but they will go, just by surviving through them one at a time always staying focused that no matter what thoughts are triggered, a state of having to feed an active nicotine addiction won't occur as long as you stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

soulagement0

26 Jun 2008, 16:22 #63

For what it's worth,

I am nearing the three month mark on my quit and there was no 2 month crisis, not even a three week crisis... in fact no real crisis to speak of that is related to quitting.

Sure, there have been changes in my life, and situations to deal with, and occasionally someone smoking nearby me and I thought for a second or two that a cigarette would "taste good".

But then I just remember that I can't just have one smoke... It isn't possible. And in fact, I don't want one.

To anyone just starting out, Joel is right, do not be intimidated or influenced by the notion of "terrible 3's" or anything of that sort. Once you are sure in your quit, that has no importance, except that you must always remain vigilant and follow the one, provebial rule... need I repeat it? NTAP!

Joel

24 Jul 2008, 06:30 #64

From above:

The original intent of the string though was designed to dispel the myth that all ex-smokers are destined to have problems at predetermined time frames. Today there was a member who wrote about having a problem into his second month and a few other members joined in saying how hard the second month was for them. For our thousands of long-term members these posts are of no concern. Those who had a tough time at two months would simply agree and those who didn't would simply recognize that the issue didn't apply to them. Either way though both groups were beyond the time frame.

The problem is people who are just off for one month, or a week, or a few days, or people who are here reading just considering quitting will see posts like this and begin to dread the "inevitable" two month mark where they have now been led to believe that they were going to begin to experience a tough and miserable time.

The truth is that there is nothing inherently threatening about the two month mark. Some people may experience some tough times, others will not. This is no different than the three month mark issue discussed above or any time frame.

Everyone reading here needs to know though that as long as they keep reminding themselves of the reasons that they first quit and keep reinforcing their reasons for wanting to stay off that even at these arbitrary moments of smoking thoughts that their quits will stay intact as long as they stick to the commitment that they made to themselves to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

02 Sep 2008, 19:24 #65

Being that in America we have just gotten through the Labor Day holiday, I thought it would be a good idea to pop up the seasonal trigger threads.

Chipits GOLD.FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow

05 Sep 2011, 21:26 #66

ImageImage
A timely thread !
Only one rule - No Nicotine Today!

Wendy (& Randy)ImageUsing our smarts!Healing our parts! for 5yrs.+ (and 4yrs.+)

Joel Spitzer

15 Oct 2011, 16:31 #67

x

Joel Spitzer

01 Dec 2011, 13:14 #68

Joel Spitzer

09 Jun 2014, 14:51 #69

Finally reshot the video predestined bad days posted above: Predestined bad days after quitting smoking