The Terrible 3's

Joel

03 Sep 2005, 05:50 #51

This post applies not only to the issue of "threes," but also to seasonal triggers. Being that we are entering the holiday weekend which for many seems like the end of the summer season and the beginning of the autumn season, I thought it seemed appropriate to bring this one up.

JoeJFree Gold

20 Jan 2006, 19:28 #52

Read 'somewhere' about experiencing 3 day cycles in a quit. Of course my mother, (an old wife at the time I guessImage) used to always talk about everything happening in groups of Threes - like famous people dying at the same time period etc. Ridiculous superstition in reality, but another false association that is an undercurrent in modern society. - JoeJ Free

From Joel's commentary above:
You overcome these triggers the same way you overcome the original triggers-just don't give into them. The first time it will be a stronger thought, but after successfully overcoming the specific event, it will become easier and easier each successive time. Eventually, not smoking will become the habit for the specific event.

You need to be prepared for these periodic fluctuations in number of smoking thoughts. Not because of the terrible threes, just because you need to be prepared everyday that there might be moments where there is a desire for a cigarette. It is a matter of always keeping your guard up, and remembering that not smoking is important everyday. Still comes down to the premise of waking up everyday and saying to yourself, "I will not smoke today," and going to bed each night proud of the accomplishment. Do this and you will make it through all the "terrible threes" (and they might now be in anyway terrible) having been able to successfully Never Take Another Puff!

KatieDidIt1999

02 Apr 2006, 23:34 #53

ImageJust thought I'd bring this one to the top since many of us are hovering around one of the "3's". Spring is here and last night was one of the first really warm breezy nights here. I walked out onto my deck, which was always my place for relaxation in the late evening with that "aahhhh" cig. It hit me in the face like a brick. I hightailed it back in here to the computer to find this post instead of sitting outside Image. Tonight, I think I'll sit outside and see what it really smells like out there Image.
Kat
Free for 2 Months, 4 Weeks, 2 Days, 4 hours and 3 minutes (89 days). $414.62 saved, 2,675 cigarettes not smoked. I have not stood freezing or frying in the elements for 1 Week, 2 Days, 6 hours and 55 minutes of my life. Quit date: 1/3/2006 7:30 AM
Last edited by KatieDidIt1999 on 06 Mar 2009, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

18 Jun 2006, 20:27 #54

From above:

You need to be prepared for these periodic fluctuations in number of smoking thoughts. Not because of the terrible threes, just because you need to be prepared everyday that there might be moments where there is a desire for a cigarette. It is a matter of always keeping your guard up, and remembering that not smoking is important everyday.

Still comes down to the premise of waking up everyday and saying to yourself, "I will not smoke today," and going to bed each night proud of the accomplishment. Do this and you will make it through all the "terrible threes" (and they might not be in anyway terrible) having been able to successfully Never Take Another Puff!

Joel

Joel

22 Jun 2006, 20:28 #55

From above:

I bring up this post most of the time now to discuss seasonal triggers. The original intent of the string though was broader than this. It was designed to dispel the myth that all ex-smokers are destined to have problems at predetermined time frames. Today there was a member who wrote about having a problem into his second month and a few other members joined in saying how hard the second month was for them. For our thousands of long-term members these posts are of no concern. Those who had a tough time at two months would simply agree and those who didn't would simply recognize that the issue didn't apply to them. Either way though both groups were beyond the time frame.

The problem is people who are just off for one month, or a week, or a few days, or people who are here reading just considering quitting will see posts like this and begin to dread the "inevitable" two month mark where they have now been led to believe that they were going to begin to experience a tough and miserable time.

The truth is that there is nothing inherently threatening about the two month mark. Some people may experience some tough times, others will not. This is no different than the three month mark issue discussed above or any time frame.

Everyone reading here needs to know though that as long as they keep reminding themselves of the reasons that they first quit and keep reinforcing their reasons for wanting to stay off that even at these arbitrary moments of smoking thoughts that their quits will stay intact as long as they stick to the commitment that they made to themselves to never take another puff!

Joel

The very same principle applies to people who have been off for 10 days, or 20 days, or any other denomination of days. No one reading here at Freedom should be getting the idea that there is some predestined number of days, weeks, months of years that that are going to be bad. The only day that we know will end up being bad is the day that you renege on your personal promise to yourself to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

21 Jun 2007, 20:45 #56

This thread touches on seasonal effects that can trigger smoking thoughts. Being that today is the first day of summer in the Northern hemispher, it seems appropriate to kick it up today.

Some triggers are weather contigent, others are tied to our personal routines that sometimes start to vary because of time of year. Triggers may come but they will go, just by surviving through them one at a time always staying focused that no matter what thoughts are triggered, a state of having to feed an active nicotine addiction won't occur as long as you stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

01 Sep 2007, 21:50 #57

This post applies not only to the issue of "threes," but also to seasonal triggers. Being that we are entering the holiday weekend which for many seems like the end of the summer season and the beginning of the autumn season, I thought it seemed appropriate to bring this one up.

KatieDidIt1999

22 Sep 2007, 11:18 #58

Image I don't come here as often as I used to. One thing I've learned...repitition kills the triggers. I'm on my second set of seasons and can tell you they are far easier than the first time around. I remember reading this this first time around and feeling such relief that it was normal for my triggers to go haywire when the weather cooled down or warmed up! I know how good I feel today and can only imagine how good 3 times through the seasons will be!
From above: "Eventually, not smoking will become the habit for the specific event"....Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall...stay prepared!
Kat
1 year, 8 months free
after 33 years

Joel

20 Mar 2008, 22:41 #59

Tomorrow we are bracing for snow and sleet in my area.
But spring is here and I suspect in some parts of the northern hemisphere it may very well be feeling quite spring like.
That feeling may very well induce some triggers but no one should be overly concerned about experiencing triggers. A trigger circumstance cannot undercut your quit as long as you have your resolve reinforced and stay focused on why you first quit and why you still want to be free from nicotine. To overcome all trigger events and break the conditioned response of wanting a cigarette in the future when facing the same trigger again is as simple as continuing to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff!
Joel

butterflybeth82

11 May 2008, 22:41 #60

You need to be prepared for these periodic fluctuations in number of smoking thoughts. Not because of the terrible threes, just because you need to be prepared everyday that there might be moments where there is a desire for a cigarette. It is a matter of always keeping your guard up, and remembering that not smoking is important everyday. Still comes down to the premise of waking up everyday and saying to yourself, "I will not smoke today," and going to bed each night proud of the accomplishment. Do this and you will make it through all the "terrible threes" (and they might now be in anyway terrible) having been able to successfully Never Take Another Puff!