The Terrible 3's

Joel

06 Apr 2003, 07:56 #41

For Cookie:

Being that you just turned 6 months there may very likely be some of the same seasonal change issues that this string addresses.

SammymnGOLD

16 Apr 2003, 03:09 #42

Image It was very warm in MN yesterday so I wanted to find this. I also wanted to happily announce that this spring is my last "3" to adjust to since quitting last summer: YIPPPEEE!

Image, Sarah ( 9 Months 1 Week 4 Days 4 Hours 25 Minutes 1 Second. Cigarettes not smoked: 5703. Money saved: $1,214.88.

Joel

24 Dec 2003, 09:51 #43

Image I see a few of our people approaching the three month mark and thinking about smoking a little more than usual. This post is a good one explaining the issues with three months as well as the seasonal and holiday issues associated with this particular time of year.

Brandy Gold Dog2

21 Mar 2004, 05:51 #44

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been really struggling lately with extra thoughts of smoking and didn't understand why. This was so helpful.

Erin - Free and Healing for Three Months, Five Days, 17 Hours and 30 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days and 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1935 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $323.39.

Joel

20 Sep 2004, 19:47 #45

I bring up this post most of the time now to discuss seasonal triggers. The original intent of the string though was broader than this. It was designed to dispel the myth that all ex-smokers are destined to have problems at predetermined time frames. Today there was a member who wrote about having a problem into his second month and a few other members joined in saying how hard the second month was for them. For our thousands of long-term members these posts are of no concern. Those who had a tough time at two months would simply agree and those who didn't would simply recognize that the issue didn't apply to them. Either way though both groups were beyond the time frame.

The problem is people who are just off for one month, or a week, or a few days, or people who are here reading just considering quitting will see posts like this and begin to dread the "inevitable" two month mark where they have now been led to believe that they were going to begin to experience a tough and miserable time.

The truth is that there is nothing inherently threatening about the two month mark. Some people may experience some tough times, others will not. This is no different than the three month mark issue discussed above or any time frame.

Everyone reading here needs to know though that as long as they keep reminding themselves of the reasons that they first quit and keep reinforcing their reasons for wanting to stay off that even at these arbitrary moments of smoking thoughts that their quits will stay intact as long as they stick to thecommitment that they made to themselves to never take another puff!

Joel

HansTucker

14 Dec 2004, 03:02 #46

Joel,
This post IS important to me, for some reasons other than you mentioned. I'll try to explain. I have had problems with patience, expecting my "quit" to have progressed faster than it has. But knowing that SOME people do have trouble in their second month, or third or whatever is some what comforting to me. Not that I want others to have any trouble at all, but rather that this happens sometimes, so deal with it.

I appreciate how you bring up threads. It is very helpful. At one point for me it was critical. Simply I thought I was loosing my mind. Your "Emotions" thread helped understand what was going on. This thread does the same thing, and helps me to try to be more patient. So for me it is not the "predetermined time frames" but rather the the work needs to continue for, perhaps, a longer time than one might have thought. And that is OK and not unusual.

Hans

Joel

23 Dec 2004, 02:35 #47

Yesterday was the first day of winter, marking one of the seasonal changes that this post refers to.

Joel

21 Mar 2005, 20:19 #48

I forgot to bring this one up yesterday. It is cold in Chicago and doesn't feel much like spring yet. But spring is here and I suspect in some parts of the northern hemisphere it may very well be feeling quite spring like. That feeling may very well induce some triggers but no one should be overly concerned about experiencing triggers. A trigger circumstance cannot undercut your quit as long as you have your resolve reinforced and stay focused on why you first quit and why you still want to be free from nicotine. To overcome all trigger events and break the conditioned response of wanting a cigarette in the future when facing the same trigger again is as simple as continuing to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

19 Jul 2005, 04:12 #49

I bring up this post most of the time now to discuss seasonal triggers. The original intent of the string though was broader than this. It was designed to dispel the myth that all ex-smokers are destined to have problems at predetermined time frames. Today there was a member who wrote about having a problem into his second month and a few other members joined in saying how hard the second month was for them. For our thousands of long-term members these posts are of no concern. Those who had a tough time at two months would simply agree and those who didn't would simply recognize that the issue didn't apply to them. Either way though both groups were beyond the time frame. The problem is people who are just off for one month, or a week, or a few days, or people who are here reading just considering quitting will see posts like this and begin to dread the "inevitable" two month mark where they have now been led to believe that they were going to begin to experience a tough and miserable time.

The truth is that there is nothing inherently threatening about the two month mark. Some people may experience some tough times, others will not. This is no different than the three month mark issue discussed above or any time frame.

Everyone reading here needs to know though that as long as they keep reminding themselves of the reasons that they first quit and keep reinforcing their reasons for wanting to stay off that even at these arbitrary moments of smoking thoughts that their quits will stay intact as long as they stick to the commitment that they made to themselves to never take another puff!

Joel
The very same principle applies to people who have been off for 10 days, or 20 days, or any other denomination of days. No one reading here at Freedom should be getting the idea that there is some predestined number of days, weeks, months of years that that are going to be bad. The only day that we know will end up being bad is the day that you renege on your personal promise to yourself to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

04 Aug 2005, 21:53 #50

For anyone who thinks there is a phenomena of terrible sixes. The same concepts apply.