The Terrible 3's

Treese (Silver)

29 Sep 2001, 10:18 #21

Thanks Joel. That string really puts things in perspective. Don't ask for one, just take them all back...thanks again for another lesson learned!! I will never take another puff. I AM feeling better everyday. I am sooo proud to make it this far. I've never done this before. this is the first time that I've quit long enough to actually feel some benefits. Treese

Joel

15 Oct 2001, 17:11 #22

I saw where a couple of our 9 months quitters were all of a sudden noticing a renewed frequency of smoking thoughts, and it is more than likely a result of new triggers being experienced by the seasonal variations discussed here. These times will pass and not happen much next year under the seasonal changes as long as you keep remembering this year to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

15 Jan 2002, 23:13 #23

For Illbe40 as well as all of our New Year Quitters.

Don't worry about the third week issue. If you keep your resolve reinforced and your reasons for quitting strong, there is nothing particularly inherently risky about the third week. The fact is the third week poses no risk of relapse as long as you remember to get through day 15 to 21 staying focused on your on your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

21 Mar 2002, 18:39 #24

Being that we are just entering a new season, I thought I would bring this one up again to explain the triggers that can be encountered and the temporary increase in smoking thoughts that may accompany seasonal variations of activities. Although I don't think there is any big risk here in the Midwest of America of springtime smoking thought--we are supposed to get snow today.

Rain or shine, hot or cold, day or night, life is possible and better as long as you know to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

12 Apr 2002, 17:41 #25

With a few people turning bronze thought I had better bring this one up too. Also for my mid-western United States people who finally had a spring like day yesterday. The new outdoor activities and change of clothing can easily be triggering old smoking thought. No one should panic by these thoughts for trigger will never cause a relapse as long as you always remember that even though there will be thoughts--they will pass and your quit will stay secure as long as you always know to never take another puff!

Joel.

Joel

15 May 2002, 20:33 #26

Just wanted to make sure that all of our members who may be hitting the three year mark today should not be worried about having a tough day thought wise just because the earth revolved around the sun three times since their last cigarette was extinguished. As this post says, the three year issue is a non-issue, unlike the third day which has a physiological component and the three month which may have seasonal effects creating new trigger circumstances. The third year significance is only positive, and of course, the only thing better for a person celebrating three years is that same person celebrating three years and one day, then three years and two days, then, well you get the idea.

So congratulations all of our three year quitters, as well as all of our three day quitters and all of our members no matter what day they are on. Even days where a person may feel that they had strong thoughts are not terrible days. A terrible day is when a person relapses, or when the same person gets diagnosed with a smoking induced disease, or when the same person starts treatments that may have really terrible side effects, or the day the person takes his or her last breath because his or her body can no longer sustain life because of the damages caused by smoking. Each smoke free day is a great day in respect to smoking. To make today a great day and tomorrow too stay focused on the message that to stay smoke free you must never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

23 May 2002, 07:06 #27

Figured I would bring this up since we are starting to address summertime routines. This post talks about the triggers of seasonal changes and activities that vary by seasons.

Joel

12 Jun 2002, 00:48 #28

I saw where one member referred to the terrible threes in regards to week three. As this article points out, there is not a whole lot of reason for fear of the third week issue. Day three and month three have variables that may in fact make them more awkward, but the third week idea is pretty much arbitrary--if thoughts happen this week it is only because of situational cues than from any set time frame issues. You will get through all time frames though as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

19 Jun 2002, 01:05 #29

I see a new concept popping up about a "Green Wall." The vast majority of people don't hit a "Green Wall." Just because one or two other people may have had the experience, there is a pretty good chance that for every one person who experiences such a feeling, there are an equal number of people and probably a whole lot more who don't have such reactions. Are the groups of people who do not experience this wall normal and the ones who do abnormal? No, both groups are having what can be described as normal adjustments.

The "Green Wall" described above is pretty much the same as the three week issue in this article. It is an arbitrary time with no real predictave value for anyone. Tou our newest members and lurkers, don't sit around and fret things that may or may not happen. Just keep your ammunition sufficiently reinforced that no matter what desires may pop up that you are going to stay committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

31 Aug 2002, 21:52 #30

Image This string discusses seasonal variations which can start a process of smoking thoughts and triggers for many people around this time of the year.