The Teaching of Conventional Wisdom at Freedom

Welcome to Freedom, a support group dedicated to educated cold turkey nicotine dependency recovery. Prior to applying to join, it is critical that you read: (1) The Law of Addiction (2) Our Mission Statement (3) Relapse Policy and (4) Rules.
Joel

13 Dec 2002, 21:07 #21

I loved it when I got this email forwarded to me yesterday. I was hoping John would get permission to use it here at Freedom. This was a good string for it to land in to. One other place I thought it would be appropriate is in the string Can we help a person quit when they are pretty sure they don't want to quit?. I think this letter is a clear indication of how many people really do want to quit and just don't think that quitting is possible or know how to do it. All of our members can show people they know the solution to both of these issues. You can show people that it is totally possible since you yourself have done it and you can share with them the method of how you did it--you simply stopped delivering nicotine and understand from this point on that the way to stay off is by knowing to never take another puff!
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 14 Apr 2009, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

03 Feb 2003, 18:50 #22

I feel the need to bring this one to the top today. I see we have a number of members who do in fact read at lots of sites. I know this when I see words like **** week or heck week, nicodemon or nicomonster, and a host of others. In 30 years of running live stop smoking clinics with thousands of participants I have never encountered such phrases from anyone in describing smoking cessation. Actually to this day no one has ever uttered one of these phrases during any of my clinics.

Some of these terms may have a regional aspect so I might be wrong here, but somehow I doubt this in most cases. I suspect that when people come here and use these words or phrases that they have likely been picking up information at other sites. Well other sites work with lots of conventional wisdoms and beliefs--concepts that can easily cost individuals who believe all that they read their quits. So I want to make sure that little gems of wisdoms that are picked up elsewhere are not passed along here. Gems like relapse is not an option, or people can't quit their first time, or that there is some different between slips and relapses, or that relapses are natural and everyone does it. These beliefs and many others can easily cost people their quits.

We work with one little gem of wisdom here that if analyzed by anyone from anywhere is actually beyond debate. That little gem is that you will actually be smoke free forever if you stick to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

04 Feb 2003, 22:55 #23

New Lie Added to Nicodemon's Lies

[/size]
It's all Nicodemon's fault, not mine! There is no Nicodemon. There never was. The title to this article, Nicodemon's Lies, is just one more lie. They were never Nicodemon's lies, they were your lies. There is no nico-monster and there never has been. Nicotine is simply a drug, an alkaloid chemically known as C10H14N2, and its I.Q. is and always has been zero. It does not think, plan, inflict punishment, nor will it conspire to make you relapse or die addicted to it. The fact that it has zero intelligence is your greatest weapon. Everything you see, feel, and sense during nicotine withdrawal and recovery will be grounded in chemical dependency, conditioning, reason, logic or science. The conspirators in any past attempts to make you relapse and destroy your quit were always and only "you!" Should you reclaim control of your brain reward pathways, your health, and your life, the victory will belong only to you![/size]

From Nicodemon's Lies
Last edited by Joel on 14 Apr 2009, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

17 Mar 2003, 23:46 #24

I saw where one member wrote to another member that he or she should do what ever it takes to quit smoking. The example specifically given was drink water or eat ice cream. I have to say, if someone plans on going the ice cream route they had better be ready to go buy a whole slew of complete wardrobes, of ever increasing sizes. If your crutch for smoking thoughts are going to be any high caloric food weight gain of massive amounts should be expected.

As far as using whatever it takes, I guess that can be translated to taking any food, any drug, legal or illegal to quit smoking or any activity, no matter how ludicrous or dangerous that activity may be. Does the comment smoke crack cocaine, or shoot up heroin, or drink lethal dosages of arsenic make any sense to anyone as practical advice to quit smoking? If not, the comment of do whatever it takes loses any real concept of credibility.

The comment needs to be do what it takes to quit smoking. What it takes is simply sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

18 Oct 2004, 21:20 #25

We want to caution our newest members to read here and learn as much as you can and not to be so quick to throw in quitting advice that you have picked up elsewhere--either at other sites or in your real world encounters. We want people to come to Freedom to first learn how to quit before they shift their attentions on how to teach people to quit. Although in truth, the real reason people should be here should always be to enforce his or her own personal quit even more than influencing others--each and every members quit and life depends on this goal. Any advice that is telling people that they must somehow shift their way of life in order to start or sustain a quit may not be accurate for most people.

Joel

31 Oct 2004, 02:06 #26

Every now and then I see a post that has the line line, "I've heard that...," or "I've seen somewhere...", or "I've read at another site...," or even "My doctor says...,"and then goes on to tell of some of conventional wisdom or folk tale for all to read and maybe get the impression that there is some validity to the specific quitting advice claim. This kind of post is likely standard fare at many other Internet Support Sites but we are not set up to be a standard Internet Support Site. We are set up to be an educational forum that also happens to offer support. We really make a concerted effort at Freedom to make sure that all of the concepts presented have some real value and validity.

It is one thing for a person to write that they have heard or read something and want to know if it is valid, but to just write out the comment as advice or as a fact because they have heard it that it must be true can pose a problem. This string talks about how important it is for people who post here to be cautious on what they pass out as advice that is picked up elsewhere.

I'm not saying that there isn't some good advice out there, but it is best to clear ideas though our managers first before putting it out as some sort of factual statement. At a minimum, if you heard something elsewhere that you may think is of value, post the idea as a question so as to make it clear that you are just trying to do some fact finding and not trying to give the impression that you are stating a known and valid fact that may impact people reading here at Freedom.

From above:

We want to caution our newest members to read here and learn as much as you can and not to be so quick to throw in quitting advice that you have picked up elsewhere--either at other sites or in your real world encounters. We want people to come to Freedom to first learn how to quit before they shift their attentions on how to teach people to quit. Although in truth, the real reason people should be here should always be to enforce his or her own personal quit even more than influencing others--each and every members quit and life depends on this goal. Any advice that is telling people that they must somehow shift their way of life in order to start or sustain a quit may not be accurate for most people.

The bottom line of quitting is, the sooner people realize that everything they could do as a smoker they can now do as an ex-smoker--the sooner they realize that there is life without smoking. They will also find out there may be many things that they can now do better without smoking and that life is basically better on many fronts from them having quit smoking. The faster people get back to their life--the sooner they will break triggers and habits and the sooner they will realize that they can do anything as an ex-smoker as long as they always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

12 Nov 2004, 20:10 #27

Image With the Great American Smoke Out rapidly approaching I thought it might be a good idea to bring materials up to address much of the marketing that is going to be aimed at smokers wanting to quit over the next week. The increases in advertising and media kind of coverage that occurs over the next week may in fact result in more people starting to think about smoking cessation. Unfortunately, many are going to get side tracked into the marketing blitz of products to buy to quit as opposed to getting any real education or help in understanding how to quit and how to stay off. Being that we have the potential of having more people finding their way to Freedom this week I will be keeping many of our educational materials and information supporting cold turkey quitting near the top. For the record, quitting smoking and staying smoke free is as simple as just stopping smoking and then making and sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

01 Jan 2005, 04:57 #28

We don't have our own quitting method here at Freedom.
Instead, we share the method used by all but a tiny
fraction of earth's long-term successful quitters!
But don't take our word for it. Ask them!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 14 Apr 2009, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

05 Mar 2005, 20:08 #29

I see we have a new event happening happening later this week in what I think is a UK event called "No Smoking Day." I thought it might be a good idea to bring materials up to address much of the marketing that is going to be aimed at smokers wanting to quit over the next week. The increases in advertising and media kind of coverage that occurs over the next week may in fact result in more people starting to think about smoking cessation. Unfortunately, many are going to get side tracked into the marketing blitz of products to buy to quit as opposed to getting any real education or help in understanding how to quit and how to stay off. Being that we have the potential of having more people finding their way to Freedom this week I will be keeping many of our educational materials and information supporting cold turkey quitting near the top. For the record, quitting smoking and staying smoke free is as simple as just stopping smoking and then making and sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

11 Mar 2005, 03:28 #30

Most people are here because they like the focus we put on our simplicity to quitting. I think many if not most have been to other sites and realized that idea of anything that works for you is fine just didn't seem to work for them. If you think other sites have an edge, go and read at them for a few days. Read carefully what is often going on. You will often see numerous relapses that are down played as not being big mistakes, and you will also likely see people who are complaining a lot more of physical and emotional problems much longer than the average participant here at Freedom. We are trying to help people get adjusted both mentally and physically the fastest they can to life as an ex-smoker.