The Teaching of Conventional Wisdom at Freedom

Welcome to Freedom, a support group dedicated to educated cold turkey nicotine dependency recovery. Prior to applying to join, it is critical that you read: (1) The Law of Addiction (2) Our Mission Statement (3) Relapse Policy and (4) Rules.
Slycat

18 Jun 2002, 00:37 #11

Hi Joel:

It's funny that you should mention quitting smoking and sleeping. Before I joined Freedom, I got hypnotized and the instructor introduced a few people sitting in the back of the room that had quit smoking and lost weight. One girl had done both. The guy that had only quit smoking stood up and said "I stayed in bed for 3 weeks when I quit smoking"... and I thought "Gosh, I wouldn't want to do that".... and besides if this Hypnotizing thing worked than you should walk away free of ever even thinking about cigarettes again, much less having to stay in bed for 3 weeks...

I have realized that since I joined Freedom that there is No Easy Way. It has to be stopped and you have to deal with the consequences until they go away. It has to be COLD TURKEY or nothing. There really is no other excuse or alternative. There is no cutting down, no sleeping no anything but COLD TURKEY.

I have never been to any other Quit Smoking Site. This is the only Site I know. But I could not imagine it being any other way.

You have destroyed your body for all those years and now you have to pay. But Pretty Soon the withdrawals will end and the cravings will end and you will be happy and you will feel healthy and you will wonder why you put yourself through soooo much toruture...

COLD TURKEY.... THE ONLY WAY...

Judy

7 weeks, 6 days, 22 minutes and 17 seconds...

S Sweet

18 Jun 2002, 20:30 #12

ya know the one thing i always disliked in regards to the "**** week" usage is that it implies that after that first week... that's it.... no more bad times, no more "****".... but that's not necessarily true. if you work the way most of us have worked at our quits, it WILL get better and easier...but there ARE still rough times... that's just life. but i think sometimes people assume that the "bad" is all over with and then they are pretty surprised that there are still things to face and work through in their quits past that first week.

Beccy
20+ months and counting :)

SKFox

19 Jun 2002, 08:48 #13

Freedom's focus on remaining abstinent from nicotine is the reason I am here. I, too, have been to other online support groups. The frequency with which people spoke of their "slips" (relapses) and the outpouring of support that accompanied it each time drove me NUTS! People saying things like, "It happens to everyone", or "Quitting is a process"..... To me, it seems they are just giving people a reason to relapse. As addicts, I think we have enough reasons why we should give in to junky thoughts as it is, I highly doubt we need any more. I am here to focus on the reasons why I should remain quit, and to gain support and encouragement in that goal.

~Shauna

doit4life(Silver)

20 Jul 2002, 08:18 #14

I just read this post and felt much better. I am a newbie and did my first post this morning. I must add first post any where on the internet. My ending of the first reply really disturbed me and has all day. I finally wrote the person an email to explain that to me it was negative and had disturbed me. I stumbled on this post this evening and how appropriate for me to read. Thanks. Also your reply, I do know one day at a time(hard to put everything down). But I also want and deserve it forever. If I don't keep it in my mind to forever stay nicotine free or as you state never take another puff. I fear I would lose my battle. I fight my battle with nicotine every day and one day at a time to forever stay free. Hope it makes sense to you. But that's not what counts, it's that it makes sense to me to never take another puff today, tomorrow and doit4ever.

Joel

31 Jul 2002, 21:12 #15

I saw where one of our newer members wrote, "Hi, I am new too so my advise at this time would be worthless." I don't want newer members to think that we think that there advice is worthless--what they may want to advise may be quite valuable and right on target. The problem is there are times where new people are coming in with advice that may or may not be valuable and may even be harmful if based on conventional wisdom. But the more time people spend reading and learning here they more adept they will become at being able to differentiate to what sounds good in theory and what really works in real world applications. If any new member ever feels the need to write something in response to another member and doesn't know exactly what might help to tide them over till a the more seasoned veterans arrive, a safe option is just hang on to the a day at a time principle for now and know that it will get better and better over time and stay on that course as long as you always remember why you first committed to never take another puff!

Joel

LarryS (GreenX2)

31 Jul 2002, 21:28 #16

All of the above information in this (and probably all other threads) is great food for thought. I'm new here and I know that I am the only one who can decide what is right and what works for me. I am happy to have the FREEDOM to choose now.

Thanks, Larry
I have been Quit for: 1W 2D 9h 25m 7s. I have NOT smoked 375, for a savings of $70.07. Life Saved: 1D 7h 15m.

Joel

24 Sep 2002, 21:18 #17

Image I saw we have a new member who also belongs to another quit smoking site. I figured it would be good for her to see this string, so as to know not to bring over concepts picked up elsewhere that may be conventional wisdom but are inherently flawed, as well as to know to be careful what they bring from here to the other site, which is likely to stir up great controversy and debate.

Joel

20 Oct 2002, 06:07 #18

I just thought of another conventional wisdom that should be covered here. The concept that long term weight gain is totally unavoidable and beyond control for a person who is quitting smoking. The string I actually lost weight! shows a number of examples of people who have actually dealt with weight control effectively after they had quit smoking. It comes down to it is not what you put in your mouth after you quit that is going to sustain your quit--it is what you don't put in your mouth. Your quit will last as long as you don't put nicotine in your mouth by knowing now to never take another puff!
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 14 Apr 2009, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

BirkyGOLD

23 Nov 2002, 22:29 #19

This is the best site for me... glad I had the Freedom to pick it.Image
BIRKY 1wk 1day 1hr 18min
PS I have referred this site to the 3 smokers I know!

John (Gold)

13 Dec 2002, 20:45 #20

Part of the conventional wisdom being taught is that only smokers in the "contemplation" phase of the dependency cycle - a fancy way of saying that they are consciously thinking about quitting - stand any chance of successful cessation. Yesterday we received and shared with each other the following email in which the quitter actually came to WhyQuit.com to purchase cheap cigarettes and ended up quitting on the spot. My online quitting experience is very similar to what's described below and I'm sure some of you probably violated the "contemplation" rule as well.

Many experts and web sites also tell smokers that they must do lots of planning, pick a date well in advance, or even beginning cutting down in anticiption of their approaching quit date. It's amazing the things nicotine addicts are being told they need to do in order to quit. The next few minutes are doable : )) John

Thank you for your web page. I am 24 years old and I have been smoking since I was 17. The price for a pack of smokes is around 5 bucks, they just raised the prices about .60 last month. I was looking on the internet searching for a place to buy cigarettes online when someone posted your site in a discussion group. I honestly thought this was a place to buy cigarettes, that's why I clicked on the link. Since that day I haven't took 1 puff. All I needed was an eye opener and some tactics for quitting, exactly what your web page has. In fact the first week when i quit was pretty tough, so i printed out portions of your articles and taped it to my dash bored in my car.

I just wanted to let you know your web page is awesome and saved my health and lots of money. Keep up the good work!