The smoking dream

Physical healing of the body and mind

October 24th, 2001, 2:54 am #51

just to add to the club... i just had a whole slew of smoking dreams myself... here it is a year quit... probably 6 months since my last smoking dream .. and i am chain smoking away in my dreams all week. thank goodness IT'S JUST A DREAM!

November 12th, 2001, 8:44 pm #52

Just wanted to bring this one to the top - for myself! Two nights in a row I've dreamed of smoking, so I know my lungs are healing away! Haven't had a smoking dream in a few weeks. While I know the why's when I'm awake, it still catches me off-guard in my sleep. Last night, it was that I'd smoked 9 in one day and was feeling mighty bummed to have to go through **** Week again. And why not?!

Melissa

5 Months 2 Weeks 6 Days 8 Hours 45 Minutes 19 Seconds Free
3467 Less
$502.76 More
3 Wks 3 Days 1 Hr 52 Mins 57 Secs Added

November 12th, 2001, 9:02 pm #53

Hello Melissa:

The real thing a person has to be bummed about in a relapse situation is not that they have to go through a **** week again, it is that they may not have the strength, desire or opportunity to go through quitting again before smoking cripples or kills them. You never want to minimize this concept.

There are so many people who die each day that at one time had a long-term quit blown and just figured they would quit again one day and never did get the chance to pull it off. So whenever you wake up traumatized by the dream, really examine how happy you are not to have actually relapsed and not having to face quitting and worse yet, not having to face smoking again. To never have to deal with either issue again just make sure in your waking state to know that you must never take another puff!

Joel

November 13th, 2001, 7:55 am #54

Hey Joel,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I can't emphasize how unhappy, bummed, disheartened I was in my dream to realize I'd blown my quit (in my dream). You are right too in that in the dream, I was wondering why bother quit again as much as trying to figure out how I could have forgotten and also kicking myself. Felt very much like the dreams I had while pregnant where I'd leave the baby on top of the car and drive off, etc. Definitely wakes a body up in a lather! LOL!

I've been having many dreams lately of unexpressed (while awake) and mostly irrational fears (a non-quit-smoking related process), so I know part of the reappearance of smoking dreams is a fear that I'll blow my quit. I REALLY don't want to go back to smoking ever, so it means that much more. Early in my quit, it bothered me a bit that I didn't at least enjoy the cigarettes in my dreams. But now, both minds are in agreement - cigarettes are the same beasts waking or sleeping. None for me any time!

Thanks again!
Melissa

5 Months 2 Weeks 6 Days 19 Hours 51 Minutes 32 Seconds Free
3476 Less
$504.10 More
3 Wks 3 Days 3 Hrs 25 Mins 29 Secs Added

November 16th, 2001, 6:07 pm #55

For Charlie:

I think the dream really worked in your favor here. So many times you hear people who are bummed out by the fact that they dreamt about a cigarette. But really the dream should help to make you realize how precious your quit is to you, for when you for that quick instant think you lost a quit when first waking up it gives you an appreciation of just how bad you would feel if it were to actually happen. This then should help you celebrate your decision to initially quit and then to have stayed off for another day. To keep having reasons to celebrate day by day now just always remember while in a waking state to never take another puff!

Joel

November 16th, 2001, 7:20 pm #56

Thanks Joel, its so true. I can't believe what a huge difference it makes just knowing what is going on with your body and why. Such a help

November 20th, 2001, 3:42 am #57

I wasn't going to say anything but since this thread found its way to the top I feel compelled to do so. It must be a sign

Joel called yesterday and I immediately had to share with him a very strange dream I'd just experienced. Early in my quit (the first month) I'd had two smoking dreams and during both I'd smoked and was so upset with myself for doing so that I would have thrown myself off the nearest cliff. Thank God we don't have any cliffs around here : )))

I'd gone for well over 2 1/2 years without any smoking dreams when just a couple of nights ago it happened. Yes, I dreamed about smoking a cigarette. I was there, the cigarette was there, I was surrounded by smokers, the room was filled with smoke, I WANTED one, but then - all of the sudden - I immediately decided against it! Believe it or not, even in my dream I simply said NOOOOOOOO !

But in my dream I was still sad because I'd gone a year without "thinking" about smoking a cigarette and it hurt to believe that it would still happen after all this time. I was glad to awake and realize that even my WANT was only a dream For you Newbies, I'm not talking about ****/Glory Week type craves, I'm talking about the simple brief "thought" of wanting to smoke a cigarette.

Anyway, I guess the third dream is a charm (of sorts) because I was so firm in saying no. Being around you guys each day, it's a wonder that it doesn't happen more often but I think it demonstrates just how deep - into the subconscious mind - that our recovery really is.
The comfort is awesome! Be patient with your healing - baby steps,

John : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on July 18th, 2009, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 29th, 2001, 11:38 am #58

Had a smoking dream Monday night - and even having read this thread before was unprepared for the realism and the emotional effect. The dream was very realistic - complete with taste and slightly sore throat. I woke up feeling close to tears that I had blown my quit - calmed down and realised it was only a dream. Yet it left me feeling blue and vulnerable. After a day or two I feel better and more determined than ever not to let nicotine back into my life. Without this site and information that has been here I might have interpreted the dream very differently. So thanks again for being there with the information and cautions before I even needed them. yqf Lorraine

One month, two weeks, three days, 23 hours, 7 minutes and 49 seconds. 499 cigarettes not smoked, saving $159.27. Life saved: 1 day, 17 hours, 35 minutes.

December 1st, 2001, 2:34 am #59

I just had this dream again last night. In my most recent quit before this one (this one being my final quit), I actually had a smoking dream where I turned down cigarettes and felt great about it.

But this quit, which began just under 9 days ago, has been easier than any other quit I've ever had. I've had virtually no cravings and have not thought very much about smoking. I have certainly never felt deprived during this quit. My head has really been in the right place. (Which is amazing since it's taken me 4 months to get it together again enough to really quit since my relapse over the summer)

But having that dream last night, where I was smoking the butts and hiding from everyone (I'd been a closet smoker), made me realize that even though this quit has been easy, it is still so very fragile. It reminded me that I need to recommit every day, and to remember how bad I felt then and how great I feel now, physically, mentally and emotionally. It took me a long time to get here again. And I don't ever want to go back to feeling as awful as I felt before this quit.

Thank you Freedom,
yqs,
AMD33 aka Jessica
One week, one day, 20 hours, 7 minutes and 31 seconds. 88 cigarettes not smoked, saving $23.64. Life saved: 7 hours, 20 minutes.

December 3rd, 2001, 1:01 am #60

Even after over a year being smoke free, I have had the smoking dream two nights running now. They can be disturbing yes, but it is SO nice to wake up and realize it was ONLY a dream and that I was still smoke free....and will remain so.

My name is Al, I am an addict. I will be until my death. But I will be a recovering addict. And I will NOT go back to my addiction, no matter how powerfully realistic the dream might be. The reality is so much nicer 

Be well my friends..may the blessings of this season follow you all year long.

Al....Smoke free one year, two months, two weeks, six days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 24 seconds. 17,849 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,168.53. My life expectancy has been extended 8 weeks, 5 days, 23 hours, 25 minutes as a result of not smoking.
Last edited by Big Al (Gold) on April 17th, 2013, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 3rd, 2001, 4:02 am #61

Hi Joel and Everyone! WOW-I can't believe I never saw this thread earlier. My first dream was exactly a week into my Quit. Yes, I woke up crying...very emotional, so upset with myself, fear was a strong feeling. I thought I was losing my mind! I posted right away and had several reply, only to learn, I am not alone. I am not afraid now of the next dream. I feel now it is my own body and nature's reminder of what comes next if you ever choose to take that puff! And that feeling does linger sometime after the dream.
Thanks again for everyone's input to this thread!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday!
~Shelley
1 Week & 6 Days, Enjoying the NEW ME--SMOKE FREE!

December 7th, 2001, 6:52 pm #62

I just love this thread --- always makes me smile. Last night I had yet another variation on the dream.

I dreamed that I smoked a cigarette, and in the dream I was telling myself that I probably thought this was one of those smoking dreams, but actually this time it was the real thing. I argued with myself, telling myself I was a GOLD quitter so of course I wouldn't take a puff, therefore this had to be a dream. I lost the argument !!! I was just preparing my post to Freedom as a new newbie when I woke up.

I lay there for several seconds feeling deeply depressed (as I usually do after one of these dreams) then I burst out laughing when the truth sank in (as I usually do). Boy oh boy, my brain has a lot to answer for !!!!!

Marty
NOT A PUFF FOR one year, 6 days : 6690 cigs not smoked : 3 weeks 2 days added to my life

December 8th, 2001, 1:31 am #63

Funny you should mention smoking dreams...Had one the other night. Before this I had had only one other in which I kicked butt! I kicked everyone out of my house who was smoking in the first dream. Felt good about it. However, the dream the other night was about me smoking in my bedroom! I have not smoked a cig in my house for over 20 years so how come I was smoking in my bedroom. I remember that I was sneaking it and that I put the cig out on my carpet next to my bed because I heard my husband coming down the hall...When I woke in the morning I actually looked to the spot I put the nasty thing out in my dream.

I am programming myself not to have any more dreams where I smoke! I don't want to smoke anymore, even in my dreams.

Threecrows, 5 months 3 days

December 15th, 2001, 10:57 am #64

My thanks to all the people who recommended this thread to me. I feel much better about the dream I had and now that I see how universal the experience is and where it comes from I won't fear it anymore.
What I really like is thinking about the cilia hard at work again. I t makes me want to take a deep breath and laugh!
I am so lucky to have found freedom.

kb

January 4th, 2002, 7:19 pm #65

If you haven't had it already, it's probably coming - one of the most vivid dreams you've ever had. In the 2 1/2 years of my quit I've had three smoking dreams myself and the first two (both in the first couple of months) scared the heck out of me. I was sooooooo mad at myself as I'd experienced two dream relapses and I hated me at the time for having been so weak! The third dream was just recently was different. In my last dream when offered a cigarette I simply and firmly said NO and it felt good!! As Joel points out such dreams are normal and can be a wonderful sign of intense physical healing. Don't be alarmed.

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John
Last edited by John (Gold) on March 18th, 2009, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 20th, 2002, 10:23 am #66

Linda, thanks for bringing this post to the top last night. You must have done it right after I spent over an hour trying to find it. I checked each of the message boards. Guess it just shows I am not too observant.

I hesitated to post this but then, we tell the truth here.

Early in my quit I did not have the smoking dreams that others were talking about. I had only had 2 smoking dreams until last week. The first 2 were very weak compared to last week. I dreamed I deliberately went out and bought a pack and smoked half of it, one right after the other before I came to my senses. It did NOT make me want to go buy some. I never want to take another puff. PERIOD.

I have no idea why this happened at almost 1 1/2 years into my quit unless that means my lungs are still healing.

Nora

January 20th, 2002, 10:47 am #67

Hi Nora,

Maybe Joel will come along and correct me if I'm wrong because he says that this dream is more common in the early stages of a quit...but from what I understand, this dream is common not just among smokers but also those overcoming other addictions as well. Recovering alcoholics as well as those recovering from drug abuse also have will have a dream that they have gone back to actively using, when in fact, they are petrified of doing so. Heck, I know an ex smoker a lot further along than you that has had this smoking dream. I have customers that tell me years later they've had this dream...some of them have it very often.

I think that our subconcious a very, very potent entity. Those of us recovering from any sort of addiction so scared that we will go back to it that is is always on our minds.

I had a dream while taking a "nap" after work yesterday. I dreamt I had just gotten up from a sofa while visiting someone, when large plane came through the roof of the house and grazed where I had been sitting....exited the house and then crashed just a short ways away. I woke up with an asthma attack and realized that I was remembering the tradgedy that our nation suffered last September.

I had trouble finding this post too. As a matter of fact, just 24 hours later and I cannot remember which message board I finally found it under.

The end result, no matter how often or how long into a quit it's been since we've smoked and then dream we did.....as long as we didn't do it and remember why we can't ever take another puff, we're just fine.

Linda

January 20th, 2002, 12:31 pm #68

Thanks.....I am glad I am not the only one.

January 20th, 2002, 8:47 pm #69

Hello Linda:

I wouldn't say the dream is more common in the early days of a quit--it is probably more frequent though. With the cilia first coming back and bringing up tars--the tastes and smells are likely causing the dreams as well as just plain triggers in the dream. But as time goes on, the dream still periodically pops up for most people--just not usually on a regular basis. It really catches people more off guard over time. Eventually it may only happen once ever few years for people. But no matter how often it happens, it will never threaten a persons quit as long as they remember in their waking states to never take another puff!

Joel

January 21st, 2002, 3:04 am #70

Thanks Joel
I am sure this will help others as well.
Nora

February 13th, 2002, 10:30 pm #71

i feel like i am becoming "queen of smoking dreams".... i don't know what on earth has started them again but here at 16 months smokefree, they have made me very grateful to be where i am today and not where i was 17 months ago!

first, i had a dream just the other night that i was at work and every ten minutes or so i would get up, pop a little piece of gum in my mouth and go stand outside. in the dream i would be thinking "hmmm nope, still no "ahhh" feeling" and then go sit back at my desk. halfway though the day, a coworker said "you know, you dont have to go outside to chew nicotine gum.. its only when you are smoking that you have to leave the building"... then i was suddenly panicking because i realized that all day long i had been chewing nicotine gum and i had just ruined a 16 month quit because of it. then i said "well i wont count this as a relapse, noone will ever need to know" as if i had forgotten everything i had learned here or something!

the second dream i had was this morning. i had a dream that "freedom" was, instead of a message board,a big smokey room.. kinda like an AA meeting or something. i was sitting in the meeting with my significant other and i leaned over and whispered... "You know we arent even REALLY allowed to be here, we have to be 72 hours clean from nicotine and we are smoking every night after these meetings" then I looked at matt and said "we dont have to tell Joel right?"

In my dreams i am lying, sneaking, cheating and whatever else it took to get nicotine in my body and still pretend i was quit....i saw myself as a junkie all over again and it wasnt nice!!!!! I woke up very proud of my quit, grateful for all the education i have on this addiction and very happy that i am not that person in those dreams anymore!

Beccy
16+ months

February 13th, 2002, 10:52 pm #72

Hi QuitSis

You and I will have to fight over this title --- I am the "king of smoking dreams". Oh boy, I just love them . My latest one was last week, and in this one I didn't actually 'see' myself smoking, but I somehow knew I'd relapsed. And I did the same as you, Beccy. I debated with myself whether I should tell Joel. I woke up before I reached an answer .

I still get a dream a month, and I'll quite miss them if they ever stop. They aren't at all threatening, they just help to remind me how important being quit is to me, and how important it will stay for the rest of my life.

This is my absolute favorite thread at Freedom

February 13th, 2002, 11:05 pm #73

lol marty, i guess we should feel fortunate... "freedom" is literally everywhere we go!

these dreams scared me to death when i was new in my quit.. just like this article says, i thought it meant i WANTED to smoke! but now, i really look at it like this... i do a lot of strange things in my dreams... and i dont wake up worrying about wanting to do those things in the real world!

Beccy

February 14th, 2002, 12:18 am #74

i guess all of us closet dreamers can come out now, I am glad i'm not alone in the dream world. Pretty amazing how really, they can seem. the best part is they are a dream. and my life is real. that is I live in a smoke free life now. and i don't have to dream about being smoke free....

?????????? Did that make sense, hope so
5weeks + today. have a great day
nikki

February 14th, 2002, 12:27 am #75

just me again checked my quit meter and need to change my stat to:

6 weeks, 12 hours, 22 minutes, 13 seconds

I ment to say the dreams seem so real not really, with 6 kids , 1 husband and a dog fish etc..I'm lucky i can still spell my name right.

have a blessed day.
nikki