The smoking dream

Physical healing of the body and mind

December 30th, 2000, 8:04 am #21

thanks for this post, Joel, I was badly in need of this about 10 days ago, when i couldn't log on. I dreamt i was smoking 3 nights in succession.....secretive smoking,( which i've never done, but then again i've never stopped before!) and always got caught and felt dreadful but had to carry on smoking. It really disturbed me....i wondered if my subconscious was leading me to the next puff and it may be inevitable that i smoke again. After all, I always knew i couldn't stop! I remembered that i had downloaded a lot of your stuff, so although i couldn't get onto the message board, i had plenty to read. This helped a lot. It was only the old addiction playing mind games with me, and perhaps it was good to be reminded of how horrible i now feel smoking. I know for sure that i need never take another puff...even if i want to.
Luv Pat

January 5th, 2001, 8:33 pm #22

By the way, if you look at the number of times I have had to bring this up, you get a sense of just how prevalent these dreams are. Thought I would just mention that.

Joel

Video version of this thread:
Dreams of smoking Dial up
2.38mb
HS/BB
7.10mb
Length
06:28
Date Added
11/10/06
Last edited by Joel on March 18th, 2009, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 6th, 2001, 1:41 am #23

Joel...Thank you so much for posting the dream article...I've been thinking about it all day and now have a better understanding of it...glad[but not glad] others experience the same thing as it freaked me out...but all is good a bit grumpy..but no tears today so the sun is definetly shining!!! I'm being as positive as possible and I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!! Thanks Leslie

January 17th, 2001, 12:21 am #24

Thanks for the clarification!! I just had one of those dreams!Felt like I blew it until I actually woke and found just a dream.What a relief knowing I hadn't actually smoked!! Thanks~~~~~~EAZY

January 24th, 2001, 3:48 am #25

Joel, thanks so much for the info on dreams. Fascinating. It helps to clarify so much. In fact, all of your articles are simply amazing and full of facts that keep me headed on the Quitter Trail.

Thanks! Donna

February 21st, 2001, 5:29 am #26

Thanks Joel :-)

I'm hoping that pretty soon I'll completely quit (in my dreams) so that my dream world will match my reality. Yesterday I was having a pretty down day and was the first time I thought of smoking, but I DIDN'T...but then I think my subconscious got the better of me. Like you say though, I can be glad it was only in my dreams and when I'm awake I can remember to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF. thanks again

Eileen
4 months 2 weeks and some change...

March 1st, 2001, 5:07 pm #27

I am bringing this one up for the cilia explanation, the random thoughts being addressed today, and for Jim who is still having trouble sleeping and coughing. Many of these concepts are covered here in the initial post and attached string. Everyone remember a thought or a dream is never going to cause a relapse. On a cigarette can do that. So no matter what your tricks your mind plays as long as your real life actions don't cooperate the thought will pass. The only action you need to take to stay free is to never take another puff!

Joel

March 1st, 2001, 10:09 pm #28

That's a great article. Yes, those smoking dreams can be awful. During my first week I dreamt about smoking every night. It was always the same - I was smoking a cigarette as usually, relaxed etc, when i suddenly realized that I had quit and I shouldn't be smoking! It was as I had just forgot about it. I was so angry at myself in the dream that I had smoked. And I was so ashamed. I'm glad that my real life is different - no need to be ashamed, I can be proud of myself !!

Sweet dreams everyone,
YQS
Triin
I have been Quit for: 1 Week 3 Days 15 Hours 38 Minutes 5 Seconds. I have NOT smoked 213, for a savings of $14.65. Life Saved: 17 Hours 45 Minutes.

March 8th, 2001, 10:47 pm #29

Well folks... I had my first dream about smoking since my Quit!!
Get this - I dreamt I was Elizabeth Taylor(!) who was dying, while smoking a cigar!! ????
I have no idea what that meant!? The ultimate drama queen who dies from her addiction??
Funny thing is I never did smoke cigars!? Still dreaming that smoking is glamorous!??
Well at least I know it is not happening in reality and maybe its just my subconcious coming to terms - somehow - with the fact I'm NOT smoking - I like to think so.
Thought I'd share this - it made me have a laugh at myself!
Hang Tuff Freedom Family
yqs Maz
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!
One month, two weeks, two days, 1 hour, 50 minutes and 5 seconds of FREEDOM!!
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on March 18th, 2009, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2001, 6:47 am #30

For Cold Chicken. Don't scare us like that!

A dream will never cause a relapse, only taking a puff in a waking state can do that.

While awake always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

March 23rd, 2001, 10:19 pm #31

That dream thing is just too funny. I have only actually had one dream since I quit, and I was just casually smoking in it. Then I woke up, in the middle of the night, and actually sat upright in bed. I was so scared and angry at myself! I thought I had blown it! lol
I remembered it was a dream, sighed a HUGE sigh of relief and went back to bed. I called my mom the next day and told her about it. (She has been quit for 2 1/2 years). I told her how guilty I felt about even having the dream. She laughed at me and told me I should have enjoyed it, because in my dreams is the only place where I will be smoking from now on!!!
Great Post Joel (as usual!!)
Thanks,
Jen

42 Days (Six weeks!!) I know everyone else is counting in months and weeks, but I prefer right now to count in days, for whatever reason????

March 27th, 2001, 11:47 pm #32

Ahhh the smoking dream - I have not sent a message in quite some time. I am still smoke free and feeling better every day. Sometimes my surviving grace is the fact that I do dream of smoking. Just wanted to share and tell everyone - it actually will get easier. Keep smiling - breathing , dancing , walking, breathting, etc. Always, Monica

April 15th, 2001, 2:45 pm #33

Thank you for this article Joel - I woke today with having had my first smoking dream last night - how weird that was - I even dreamed of having to explain to the family at Freedom - very bizarre - Thanks Mate -

April 16th, 2001, 12:14 pm #34

Wow, this is amazing reading! Next time I have that dream, I'll know better! I too, woke up feeling freaked out that I had smoked and then, what a rush of relief to see that I'd been dreaming. The guilt is actually quite wonderful now. It has helped to re affirm my intention: to never take another puff! Thanks Joel for the explanation about the cillia also. This has been almost a daily scene for me ...coughing and spitting, Guess it's a good thing but sometimes my lungs feel heavy as if I smoked a bunch and I know I havn't so I'll feel more positive about recovery now. Thank YOU! Paula 36 days without a puff.

April 18th, 2001, 12:08 am #35

I had my first smoking dream since I quit (2 weeks and 1 day ago!). I dreamt that I found a pack of cigarettes in my purse - it had 4 Marlboro light cigraeetes. They are slightly crumpled but not broken. I touched them in my dream and thought that I cld smoke all 4 an dno one wld ever know. I was still debating what to do and how to do it when I woke up. That was fairly scary - knowing that if it were real, I wld have probably smoked them. Glad to know it was a dream but disappointed in even getting tempted.

Mal

April 24th, 2001, 9:13 pm #36

Great article Joel, I was just wondering about that dream thing-
In my last dream I had bought a pack and started smoking, and kept trying to crumple the pack up, and was just wondering how I could explain this relapse to all of you. Thank goodness I'm Catholic-who says guilt is a bad thing???
TOPACZ
1 month 5 days!

April 24th, 2001, 10:56 pm #37

Hi Joel: This is Spunkyangel and I am new here.

Regarding the smoke taste in the month, I brush my teeth and tougne every morning and evening. I also chew a lot of gum , peppermint, because I love it.

But I have a question, How do you get rid of the smell of smoke in your clothes, and hair and skin. I have been taking alot of baths but I still smell it.

It is making me sick. When ever I am aroung people who smoke it makes me sick, will I ev er get over this? When will I really begin to enjoy food. I am 51 years old and want to make my 50 wedding Annversity . We just had our 31 last month. but I am was wondering that maybe my bud tasters are too old and and too much smoking that maybe I will never be able to taste food again,

Please help me:

2 weeks and 5 days smoke free and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF is drill in my brain.

cheers & hugs
Last edited by spunkyangel ( GREEN ) on March 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2001, 10:50 am #38

Hello Freedom Friends,
I too experienced the smoking dream late last month and I was very disturbed by it.
I don't remember the dream itself, but I will never forget the horrifying thought,
"Did I smoke!?"
My body had that old familiar feeling of being fed nicotine and there was a calming effect, an almost satisfying feeling, as though I just had a cigarette.
I hated it.
I felt violated.
Another scary thing too was that I found a book of matches on the floor in my hallway. I wondered, "Did I drop that there!?" But then, thankfully I remembered. I saw them there before I went to bed and I deliberately left them there to see how long they will stay there until my husband picked them up. Afterall, I don't smoke, they weren't mine.
Anyway, I know I didn't smoke.
I've worked too hard, prayed real hard, and I am fighting too hard to give up now, even in my dreams.
I'm still thankfully free and taking care of My Quit one day at a time.
Looking good and feeling great
@
Six months, two weeks, one day, 18 hours, 34 minutes and 59 seconds. 4944 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,174.28. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 days, 4 hours, 0 minutes.
Thank you Freedom Friends

May 9th, 2001, 3:53 am #39

I must be odd....approaching three months and just started having smoking dreams. In fact, I was drinking and smoking in several of my recent dreams, and I quit drinking five years ago. I guess I must equate smoking with drinking. If I am going to regress.....at least in my dreams...it is going to be all of the way. LOL Mary P.S. The dreams did not disturb me....just found them interesting (especially drinking along with the cigs)

July 2nd, 2001, 5:54 am #40

Thank you Joel for the information on smoking dreams. I quit two months ago and started having nightly smoking dreams a couple weeks ago. I interpreted the dreams as subconscious yearnings to smoke. Your explanations relating fear and physiological influences made sense and have helped take the edge off my uneasiness. I must say. however, that my smoking dreams have really sucked. They are so real that I often experience withdrawl symptoms the following day. After two months cold turkey, I'm actually having some of my hardest moments as a result of these dreams. Your insight and advice just gave me the kick I needed to maintain my resolve.

July 4th, 2001, 9:43 am #41

For Kona Del:

This piece covers some of the explanation of cilia regeneration and possible side effects, specifically coughing and bringing up tastes and smell of tobacco tar.

July 19th, 2001, 6:18 am #42

I responded to this thread because I had the smoking dream last night.
I have had them before in my early quit, but I am almost
8 months smober, and after all this time it really surprised me.
I smoked about 3 cigarettes in my dream, and of course I felt terrible.
After all this time I even felt bad in my dream that I would be so stupid.
I did have all the tastes and sensations of smoking and it really surprised me that it was so vivid and real.
Needless to say when I finally realized it was a dream I was much relieved.
Thank you Freedom, for giving me the wisdom and the motivation to
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF
HAL @Seven months, two weeks, six days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 43 seconds. 9285 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,160.50. Life saved: 4 weeks, 4 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes.
Last edited by Hal(Gold) on March 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2001, 11:25 pm #43

Today is day nine and last night I had my first smoking dream. I have not been sleeping well lately so I had some wine last night before bed . Well did I have a dream ,only it wasn't me smoking it was my husband . We have never smoked in our house but in my dream there he was lighting up in our house . Well I stood there yelling and swearing at him and I don't swear or yell as a rule . I was so loud I woke myself up and him . Yes I did have a cold sweat and I was angry with him for smoking in the house even though I knew I was dreaming. I have not pressured my hubby to quit and will not unless he is ready like I was but do you think maybe I have a subconsiencous problem with him smoking ? If only we knew what we were thinking in our dreams. Anyway I love this site the information is a life saver and I am glad to be here. Thanx, Germaine.

Quit date August 13th 12am.

zoo

September 5th, 2001, 11:58 pm #44

I remember in a past quit I started smoking after a smoking dream. It was a stupid thing to do. Was probably an excuse to relapse. Junkie thinking had me convinced I would have these dreams all the time if I didn't smoke. I too smart for that now thanks to freedom.NVER ANOTHER PUFF.

,zoo

September 6th, 2001, 10:00 pm #45

Dreams and throat drainage are driving me nuts!!! My cilia have definitely been working overtime since day 1 of my quit and they're still going strong dumping 36 years of nicopoison out my throat! Had another dream last night where I was smoking like crazy...I was so RELIEVED when I woke up and realized it was a dream and I would not have to go through the 72 hours again.. Soooooooo, I've decided to try something drastic...tonight before I go to bed I'm going to eat something really weird ... like Dill Pickles and Chocolate...hopefully that will change the taste in my throat and confuse my subconscious into dreaming about something besides sickarettes!!! Will let you know if it works!, Patty One month, three weeks, six days, 7 hours, 3 minutes and 53 seconds. 2331 cigarettes not smoked, saving $408.06. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 2 hours, 15 minutes.
Last edited by I win (GOLD) on March 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.